Home Precious Metals
Options

How did your 1000oz Silver or 10+ oz Gold bars get delivered?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm contemplating getting one or the other and was curious as to how these are delivered? Registered mail? Armored Truck?

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Usps priority and 1st class on 10 oz usually. Never ordered a 1000 oz.

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, never purchase a 1000 oz silver bar through the mail. It's too risky !!! :(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipped a 100 ounce bar one time and it was hard to package. Too big for a small flat rate box, too small for a medium flat rate box. Ended up sending in a medium with a ton of excess packaging.

• Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m just thinking if APMEX shipped you a 1000oz silver how it would come?

Also, a 10 or more ounce gold bar seems risky to send any other way than registered.

I’ve heard of armored truck deliveries but don’t know anyone who’s got one and at what level that method is considered.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep thinking of Mark, @Justacommeman and all the PMs he lost. I would be extra extra careful shipping that much weight.

And BTW, any update Mark?

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

If I were to own something like that... it would have been purchased direct from dealer and or picked up directly from apmex in okc.

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:
    I'm contemplating getting one or the other and was curious as to how these are delivered? Registered mail? Armored Truck?

Registered mail or a private transport service like Brinks. Depends on where you purchase from and what their insurance requires. I would personally never want to own a "good delivery bar"...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not even contemplate a 1000 oz. silver bar... smaller increments make more sense. One must always consider liquidity... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

I know this doesn’t answer your question, but I only buy silver at Kilo weight or less. Much easier to sell when the time comes.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess UPS or Fedex for the 1000oz

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just chop into ten pieces and problem solved.....or 100 if need be.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last thing I would want is for anyone to see an armored truck making a delivery to my home. I would hope UPS or FedEx.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

If it fits it ships. Guy tests the limits with lead :D

https://youtu.be/9034oblVtzc

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my customers ordered a monster box of gold eagles and I believe they were delivered via courier service.