Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A guy has a partial Monster Box, 2013 ASEs (23 rolls) for sale @ $370/roll, good deal?

KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 31, 2018 9:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edit for typo.

Comments

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good deal, yes. Borderline great deal if you are looking to hold them, not so much if trying to flip quick.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

$170 a roll?? There are 20 ASE's in a roll... that would be $8.50 per coin....That would be a heck of a deal...Something is wrong there....If real, buy them all... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 8:52AM

@ricko said:
    $170 a roll?? There are 20 ASE's in a roll... that would be $8.50 per coin....That would be a heck of a deal...Something is wrong there....If real, buy them all... Cheers, RickO

Sorry for typo, It’s $370/roll.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

O.K. then.
    That's more like it :)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 8:54AM

ok price if shipping, PP is included.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... now that sounds more like it... I wanted to know where I could get them for THAT price.... :D Thanks for the correction. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 9:51AM

It's a decent deal, but not great IMO. I've seen em cheaper, but in all honesty I haven't been watching closely lately. $355 shipped would be great IMO.

• Options

No shipping, no pp. Deal in person at my bank.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guessing any 70's have already been removed and you'll be getting the left overs.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    I guessing any 70's have already been removed and you'll be getting the left overs.

Not sure, I’d say 50/50.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok price, not great, I sometimes see them a dollar over spot at Provident, shipped.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:
    No shipping, no pp. Deal in person at my bank.

If you were going to buy them anyway the price is fine. If you are looking for a deal offer $350. Dealers around here offer melt --$330. So $350 would be a good compromise.

• Options

I've never opened a sealed monster box. Are the individual rolls taped shut?

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 9:16AM

@PerryHall said:

I’ll know when I see them. I just emailed seller the question.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

$370 is still a good buy IMOP
    I'll buy a roll from you if it's too many to keep. I am experimenting with toning in our humid environment :)
    Sometime ago a member mentioned about leaving his next to his turtle aquarium and _voila___ it tones beautifully B)
    PM me if you acquire the lot :)

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    $370 is still a good buy IMOP
    I'll buy a roll from you if it's too many to keep. I am experimenting with toning in our humid environment :)
    Sometime ago a member mentioned about leaving his next to his turtle aquarium and _voila___ it tones beautifully B)
    PM me if you acquire the lot :)

I’ll let you know.

Meanwhile I’d love to see pics of the turtle coin.

• Options

@KollectorKing said:

@PerryHall said:

The pic in your first post shows the rolls as being unsealed. I was assuming that's what you were considering buying and I was just wondering if that's the way they come out of a sealed monster box.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@KollectorKing said:

@PerryHall said:

The pic in your first post shows the rolls as being unsealed. I was assuming that's what you were considering buying and I was just wondering if that's the way they come out of a sealed monster box.

Seller had a monster box for sale intact. Since there were no takers for the whole box, he decided to sell the “tubes” separately. Hence the pics as shown.

• Options

Seller’s response: “Never opened, right out of the Monster Box. All BU.”

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 9:57AM

@PerryHall said:

No. Usually done afterwards to prevent the tube form opening during shipping. Some people fill the headspace with tissue or styro peanuts to keep the coins from rattling. Bless their hearts.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Most if not all of the 70s were made early in the year. It's a waste of time now unless you can submit 1,000s in bulk.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

$18.50 each. Not bad. My local jewelry store owner sells them to me for $17.50 each, BUT only one a day. Waiting for a rise in prices I guess. It's like a game, but for that I play. They are nice shiny 2015's. Maybe it makes his store look busier or he is waiting for someone who will pay more. Deals are to be had, you just have to look for them.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid $388 two weeks ago, so I would buy a couple at $370 :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

How well do you know the seller? Why would you want to buy them and how long would you plan on keeping them?

It is possible that the seller cherry picked two rolls and the remaining rolls are the "rejects". Not saying that is what happened but it may be.

One dealer at our local show occasionally has rolls at three different prices, My terminology, "really nice", "nice" and "not so nice". The 69s and 70s are in his case at premium prices.

If you are just stacking some silver the price seems more than fair but I would still ask if they would accept less for a "quantity" purchase.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@tommy44 said:
    How well do you know the seller? Why would you want to buy them and how long would you plan on keeping them?

It is possible that the seller cherry picked two rolls and the remaining rolls are the "rejects". Not saying that is what happened but it may be.

One dealer at our local show occasionally has rolls at three different prices, My terminology, "really nice", "nice" and "not so nice". The 69s and 70s are in his case at premium prices.

If you are just stacking some silver the price seems more than fair but I would still ask if they would accept less for a "quantity" purchase.

Probably stacking. I don’t know seller from Joe Doe, but based on his emails, he is an elderly gent using terms like BU & tubes etc.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatchu talkin about elderly? I resemble that remark. o:)

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

@tommy44 said:

. I don’t know seller from Joe Doe, but based on his emails, he is an elderly gent using terms like BU & tubes etc.

But did he say "teletype machine"? :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@KollectorKing said:

@tommy44 said:

. I don’t know seller from Joe Doe, but based on his emails, he is an elderly gent using terms like BU & tubes etc.

But did he say "teletype machine"? :smile:

That plus he wanted to meet me at my xyz bank at 5pm. Then he said his bank abc closes at 6pm :o

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 1:23PM

Bring a g@n or a body guard

• Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

They’re available for less on eBay shipped, and you can pay with a Credit card.

• Options

@Gluggo said:

Any volunteers?

• Options

@MACGE1 said:

How about a link or two or three?

• Options
    edited May 31, 2018 1:34PM

Nothing on ebay for less than $9.5K per box, or $19/coin.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 1:45PM

approx 8950 for closed box open should be a little less. Those look good. Just check em first

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018 6:01AM

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose it would be futile to discuss silver and its abominable history of instability.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2018 8:04PM

@PerryHall said:

no, the monster box insert keeps the tube caps secured. Adding tape is an aftermarket protection when shipping unboxed tubes

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KollectorKing said:

@MACGE1 said:

How about a link or two or three?

And you don't have to buy 23 tubes!

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

We can’t say “gun”??

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree...best deal so far....$366.20 for 10 + rolls, free shipping...ok to use your cash back credit card

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mission16 said:

@Gluggo said:

We can’t say “gun”??

I did not want to offend anybody. :D

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

@Mission16 said:

@Gluggo said:

We can’t say “gun”??

I did not want to offend anybody. :D

And, that people think like that, is a problem in itself :(

I would agree to go the Apmex way if you don't care about the date (which I don't think you do, right?).
    Unless your seller beats that but calling it something like $350 or something.

Even then, even if he seems legit, make sure to look at them as there were fakes going around last year, I think, that weren't silver but looked reasonably good....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2018 2:03AM

Not a great deal. Apmex has had them as low as $1 over spot. And with cash back credit cards, etc. it ends up much cheaper. You also have much greater security with the credit card payment and a known entity than meeting some guy at a bank.

In the northeast, there was a guy running around selling gold eagles that were counterfeit. He was running ads on Craigslist and meeting people in public places for the exchange. The Feds were on to him but hadn't yet been able to nab him. There are no deals in parking lots, just a lot of added risk. Especially now, bullion can be had at essentially wholesale prices all over the place.

[But, of course, dealers are crooks and people who sell coins in parking lots are to be trusted.]

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2018 6:01AM

10% ebuck today. $17.89 per random date ASE or $17.62 if you also use credit card with 1.5% cash back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file