Home Precious Metals
Options

$35 sure seems like a new ceiling for silver

Can't seem to break past $35 each and every time the last few days. Optimistically looking at it, if it does, I think $40 would stand a real chance. If it can't in the next few tries, I think it goes back down to $28-ish.
Your thoughts?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything is possible. There are no rules. I'm not just being flippant.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy with a breakthrough or not. Doesn't matter much to me. I'm still in it for a while as a net buyer.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least it is recovering from its daily dips. I suspect profit takers will eventually all have their profit and price will proceed up to the next group of profit takers. You will see them all the way to new highs as each group of them has their cash-in point. The important thing is that the buyers are stepping in right behind them.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options

<< <i>At least it is recovering from its daily dips. I suspect profit takers will eventually all have their profit and price will proceed up to the next group of profit takers. You will see them all the way to new highs as each group of them has their cash-in point. The important thing is that the buyers are stepping in right behind them. >>

I fully agree. What is the alternative. To hold the Dollar is to hold in your hand a disappearing trick. Now you see it now you don't. This bill will self destruct in 10 seconds.... you smell the smoke !
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, but I will say this, the other day I sold 3 ounces for some
    beer money and I had the hundred dollar bill in my hand before the
    jingling sound of the silver stoped on the counterimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anything is possible. There are no rules. I'm not just being flippant. >>

Agree.
    I see a lot of sellers however comming in at $40 to unload what they bought at that price and suffered with on the fall to the upper $20s.
    I am in the longer term hold/keep on stacking camp.
    Everyone has different plans/ideas. I am happy that most here see the wisdom of holding for the longer term.
    There are a lot of short timers/hope to get rich quick flippers however who act differently than us.
    Best to all no matter what your plan/hope is!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Pieces - still selling every ounce you own once the $35 ceiling breaks?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know, but I will say this, the other day I sold 3 ounces for some

Steve >>

Was it still worth $100 by the time you got it to the grocery store? image

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    With the fed pumping $40 billion every month into the economy it wont be that long before we hit $50 especially if Obama gets elected.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know, but I will say this, the other day I sold 3 ounces for some

Steve >>

Was it still worth $100 by the time you got it to the grocery store? image >>

I don't think so, but it would have been convieniant if the store took silverimage

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will never hit $30 again in my lifetime

MJ

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    QE3 was just announced...look at the macro events...there is no way it is going back below 30 in the near future.
  • Options
    One thing is for sure anything is possible in the silver game.

Daily movements can drive you insane as they fluctuate wildly but it isn't so tough to watch if you have an end game plan with an exit stratedgy.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite possible !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It will never hit $30 again in my lifetime

MJ >>

Is that a quote from an earlier misbegotten "silver price pieces doomsday" thread or a dire prediction for poor LA Money, MJ?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It will never hit $30 again in my lifetime

MJ >>

Is that a quote from an earlier misbegotten "silver price pieces doomsday" thread or a dire prediction for poor LA Money, MJ?

Miles >>

I couldn't resist. Seriously, silver is like up 20% in a realitively short amount of time. It needs a rest. Hardly anything goes straight up.

MJ

Edited for spelling on my I Phone
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    lol. gotta laugh. You guys needling me need to keep up. I changed my view on the metal some time ago. image and I will again if events that are expected to happen don't happen.

Did you really think I literally meant that comment from months ago? Shame on you lol. I hope to live a long healthy life.

Anyway, good thoughts and comments, thanks for all of you sharing what you think it's going to do, even if it's vague as hell image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was funny MJ image

Rich, no offense, but some time ago? That quote wasn't that long ago (three months maybe). And it was a pretty bold quote, and very wrong (and very short-sighted IMO, but that's just MO) ... so it probably will get tossed around a bit more.

35. is the ceiling today. Will it be tomorrow? Hard to tell. If it fails at 35 tomorrow or by next Tuesday (or whenever), does that mean it's due for a 20% pull back? No. Doesn't mean it won't, doesn't mean it will.

Silver is currently in an uptrend. Is that a long-term thing or a short-term thing? I don't know. Will it go straight up to 40, or 50. or 100. even. No ... that I am almost 100% confident of ... it most probably will not go straight up. Does it have legs? Right now it seems to ... but what do I know.

Will it fail a resistance point along the way, and watch some profit taking bring it back a step? Yep ... pretty sure it'll happen. When, how much, from where to where ... nope, not sure on that.

As jmski said, "there are no rules". Simple, eloquent.

One thing I will say ... and this is my opinion and my money is where my mouth is ... I think silver is in a stronger position to go up then it was last year in late June, early July, and yet the prices are almost exactly the same.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we raise the debt ceiling it seems to raise the floor another story.
  • Options

<< <i>When we raise the debt ceiling it seems to raise the floor another story. >>

The water is rising faster. Got a golden life preserver?

• Options
    I hear ya Todd, gotta laugh when you're (me) the joke, right?
    I'm just surprised so many took it so literally. Guess I need to watch doing that going forward lol.

I like what derryb said about how it is at least bouncing back from its intra day lows. That is very promising. $35 is a ceiling for who knows how long, so if that's the case, my next question is what's support now?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    support at 26 and resistance at 38, with a trading range of 28-36 for the intermediate past and future

this will continue until it doesn't image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't view $35 as a new ceiling.

$34-$35 has been the tradingrange for the last few days pending news (political, financial, whatever).
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder where it will go if it does break $35 an ounce?
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Its not that top I'm concerned about. I have no problem believing it will have dips and go above $35 in a bit!

There are a lot of forces that can affect the price (S & G), like a government intervention. Plausible.
    COA
  • Options
    Looks like it will make it to 35 tonight.

Tom
  • Options
    36 on Friday?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't seem to break past $35 each and every time the last few days. Optimistically looking at it, if it does, I think $40 would stand a real chance. If it can't in the next few tries, I think it goes back down to $28-ish.
    Your thoughts? >>

I don't like predicting short term PM prices.

Long term, I'm positive in their direction.

Anyone who doesn't see this is nuts (IMHO).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>36 on Friday? >>

Not likely, but it did break $35.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    It fell off a cliff this morning.
  • Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It fell off a cliff this morning. >>

That was to be expected since everyone was waiting for it to break the $35.00 "ceiling".
    Lots of profit taking and price staged sales.

I hope it goes back to 25-26 so I can buy more and more.
    JMHO

Bob
    Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I hope it goes back to 25-26 so I can buy more and more.
    JMHO

Bob >>

If thats the case, then I hope it goes back to $3.50 per oz so I can load up again, and wait 10-20 years for the next up cycle.
  • Options
    The average price for silver in August was $28.70.

The average price for silver thus far in September is $33.37.

That doesn't seem like a cliff to me, but it does seem like some consolidation might be a normal occurance.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭
    Just a few weeks ago $22 was predicted. The $35 will be cheap shortly.
  • Options
    That doesn't seem like a cliff to me, but it does seem like some consolidation might be a normal occurance.

Agreed. I like $1 movement when it's in the low $30's as long as it ends up towards the upper part of the range. Not really enough to call it volitile, but enough to pick a spot to buy some.
  • Options

<< <i>If thats the case, then I hope it goes back to $3.50 per oz so I can load up again, and wait 10-20 years for the next up cycle. >>

If you've come into the PM arena around now, you really want a deep low to buy to feel a little less shakey. I mean its a deep bottom and a long way down at these prices. For those that bought in the past at half of todays price or lower, they should be feeling good these days, and earned the rights and rank.

The one additional concern now is that after this last 'decade' of a dramatic climb, this last 'year' was a good correction to let everyone know that anything can happen... So, I'd feel more comfy buying at that $26 level, and a little shakey about buying big right now. Only small maintenance buys right now out of incoming money. Buying large physical on the upswing is not friendly or sensible to me when we are talking about $35-$40 tops for near future. I'm looking for a correction hole...
    COA
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last 27 Years
    TGIF
  • Options
    Just like recent and current oil prices, investors will become accustomed to today's silver or gold prices, if the price remains in their current trading range for a couple of weeks or so. Hoping for the "good old days" of cheap PM's, is wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Compare and contrast:

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Compare and contrast:

image >>

Whenever you show charts like the one above..............also include the change in income.................. with today's income, I'm sure the purchasing power remained steady compared to 1915. Below is a more realistic comparison up to 2009.

Yearly Median Household Income = $687
    Equivalent Hourly Wage = 33¢
    Equivalent Minute Rate = 5.5 mils (that's $0.0055)

Gallon of Gasoline = 25.5¢ (45 minutes)
    Gallon of Milk = 36¢ (65 minutes)
    Loaf of Bread = 5.5¢ (11 minutes)

New Car = $500 (38 weeks)
    Median Home Price = $3200 (4.7 years)
    1 oz. Silver = $1.29 (3.9 hours)
    1 oz. Gold = $20.67 (62.6 hours)

all numbers are rounded

*Note the silver/gold ratio of 16:1

Yearly Median Household Income = $50,235
    Equivalent Hourly Wage = $24.15
    Equivalent Minute Rate = 40.25¢

Gallon of Gasoline = $1.91 (4.7 minutes)
    Gallon of Milk = $3.45 (8.6 minutes)
    Loaf of Bread = $1.38 (3.4 minutes)

New Car = $28,400 (29.4 weeks)
    Median Home Price = $184,600 (3.7 years)
    1 oz. Silver = $12.74 (31.7 minutes)
    1 oz. Gold = $916 (32.9 hours)

*note the 76:1 silver/gold ratio

As you can see things are somewhat cheaper today per hour than they were in 1915.

LINK
  • Options
    Devils ad:
    If you look at the 27 year kitco chart that Twosides was so nice to post, without anything else, it tells my eye there was an aborant climb last decade, with a recent (second) big correction, in a currently unsteady state. It doesn't show a steady inflationary rise, but a sharp spikey uncertainty. Yes, 2008 recovered and the match looks the same, but state is precarious.

If you look at the nice chart by jmsski, it shows a relatively steady, albeit sharp, decline from much farther back (1915) than the kitco (1985) chart. Both charts don't line up. -Why is the kitco chart only showing the climb 'only' over the last decade? Why are they not uniformly inversely proportional to each other over the time span?- What is normal inflation in the purchasing power chart? Because if its showing normal inflation (then normal salaries climb behind it with a lag) - throw out the $1 and make a $5 the base bill as its all relative.

OPA has some wize wit on it becoming a steady state familiaritity, but its still wize to work the dips vs the climbs. I don't think $10-$20 either, but I am looking for a $28 hole. -I'm not buying a climb and putting my money in some profit takers pocket. I'll let the profit takers squeeze the sponge twice before I make an aggressive buy.
    COA
  • Options
    Yeah $35 does seem to be a decent resistance level for silver since this is about the 5th time that it hit $35 but failed to close above $35. I think that it will pull back from current levels in the very near future but this is just a wild guess.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • Options

<< <i>Just like recent and current oil prices, investors will become accustomed to today's silver or gold prices, if the price remains in their current trading range for a couple of weeks or so. Hoping for the "good old days" of cheap PM's, is wishful thinking. >>

Investment/Speculation cyclical History tells a different story, the possibility clearly exists.
  • Options
    I thought it sure looked strong early this AM, but failure once again to break out. image
    I guess overall it's doing fine, it did come a long way pretty quickly.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought it sure looked strong early this AM, but failure once again to break out. image
    I guess overall it's doing fine, it did come a long way pretty quickly. >>

PMs reacting predictably to dollar index performance - anyone here got a crystal ball for that?

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opa, dont you know this isnt the place for facts?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    As you can see things are somewhat cheaper today per hour than they were in 1915.

Opa, dont you know this isnt the place for facts?

If the number of weeks needed to purchase a new car has only decreased from 39 weeks to 28 weeks since 1915, and considering the massive leaps in technology in terms of time-saving and labor-saving devices - don't you actually think that the gains should have been alot more dramatic than a mere 28% in human effort?

Where did the rest of all that huge advantage in technology and automation go? A devalued currency would be my guess.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

image >>

Whenever you show charts like the one above..............also include the change in income.................. with today's income, I'm sure the purchasing power remained steady compared to 1915. Below is a more realistic comparison up to 2009.

all numbers are rounded

LINK >>

An important "fact" that paints a very different picture: the drastic change in disposable income as a percentage of median income in 2009 vs. 2015. Median income is the pay the government says you got, disposable income is the pay the bank says you got. You can only spend what the bank says you got.

Let's look at just federal taxes:
    Taxes in your 1915 income were 1% or less. Taxes in your 2009 income average about 20%.

When you add all the additional "required" deductions from one's income 1915 vs. 2009 and factor in all the additional taxes (i.e. gasoline excise, electronic communciations, Social security, medicare, local/state taxes, etc.), that 2009 "median income" all of a sudden gets cut way down - some estimates are a 40-50% haircut. The 1915 income you visited didn't know what a barbershop was.

How about some stats using disposable income - it's the only income workers really see. I venture to guess things are not somewhat cheaper today per hour than they were in 1915 when you count the hands in a man's pocket back then vs. those in his pocket today.

Your data set looks like something Washington would feed us to remind us how things have gotten better. Of course they would not remind us that their hands are now much deeper in our pockets skimming all of the gains and some.

Here's an interesting tidbit concerning income: American wages are currently at a 50 year low as a percentage of GDP

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

all numbers are rounded

LINK >>

An important "fact" that paints a very different picture: the drastic change in disposable income as a percentage of median income in 2009 vs. 2015. Median income is the pay the government says you got, disposable income is the pay the bank says you got. You can only spend what the bank says you got.

Let's look at just federal taxes:
    Taxes in your 1915 income were 1% or less. Taxes in your 2009 income average about 20%.

When you add all the additional "required" deductions from one's income 1915 vs. 2009 and factor in all the additional taxes (i.e. gasoline excise, electronic communciations, Social security, medicare, local/state taxes, etc.), that 2009 "median income" all of a sudden gets cut way down - some estimates are a 40-50% haircut. The 1915 income you visited didn't know what a barbershop was.

How about some stats using disposable income - it's the only income workers really see. I venture to guess things are not somewhat cheaper today per hour than they were in 1915 when you count the hands in a man's pocket back then vs. those in his pocket today.

Nothing personal, but the data set you got from someone else is a perfect example of how figures lie and liars figure. Your data set looks like something Washington would feed us to remind us how things have gotten better. Of course they would not remind us that their hands are now much deeper in our pockets skimming all of the gains and some. >>

derryb, you forgot some important ingredients in your response. I'm not sure whether the cost comparisons included sales taxes due on the item..probably not. Nevertheless, today, 40%+ of the tax payers have no Federal Income Tax liability and to a somewhat lesser degree, state or local income tax obligation. The Social Security taxes withheld, in most cases, will be returned 2 or 3 fold after retirement. I'm not as cynical in my believe as you, nor as quick to assume that all the stats printed by the Feds are, as you quoted, "liars figure." If I had my choice of what time frame to live in (1915 or 2009), I'd choose the later.
  • Options
    the 40+ not paying any income tax are nowhere near your $50K medium income average for 2009. This in itself means a higher tax payment for those at the $50k income. My point was that your data set, like jmski's chart, doesn't show the full picture. Chart's and figures rarely do. We have to determine what they are not telling us as much as we have to determine what they are telling us.

As for time to live in, the 70's would be a nice revisit. image