Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ho Hum... just another FAKE 1796 Dollar in FAKE PCGS slab on eBay

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
At a quick glance, thought something was "off" then I realized it was the "left set" bust, which is a 1795 variety. The quick and easy way to tell is the top hair curls are under BE, rather than ER. The coin's definitely a fake, and I assume the slab is as well.

Link here

So, of course a quick check to the Heritage archives shows the real one...not a bad looking coin.

I'll be emailing the seller, and then reporting it to eBay.

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Good eye.

The seller is in Cedartown, GA, rather than China like the few others I've seen.

This could get very interesting.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    reported
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    uh oh... time to sell all my nice coins and buy circulated frankies
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    even with the poor pictures, it is easy to see that the barcodes don't match.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>
    1796 DRAPED BUST DOLLAR

GRADED BY PCGS XF 40 LARGE DATE, SMALL LETTERS

CERT NUMBER 11604751

PLEASE SEE MY OTHER AUCTIONS, I AM SELLIN MY ENTIRE COLLECTION TO PAY TAXES

NO RES!!!

I WILL START THIS AUCTION LESS THAN 25% OF VALUE
    >>

it's got a bid at 1,999.00

I thought 25% of 0 was zero.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I AM SELLIN MY ENTIRE COLLECTION TO PAY TAXES

It's a stimulation slab.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported... and PCGS notified.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Just for kicks...

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the piece being offered as an 1874-CC Trade dollar is also counterfeit as is the fake ANACS slab that houses it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Wow! This is downright scary!

Great Detective work! image

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heard back from PCGS. They're on it now.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I can't see the 4 circles from the injection process during the making of the slab. That's a key area I check before I bid on any pcgs slab. You can easily see two of them in the real coin.
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited to add:

TomB beat me to it!

Not 100% certain, but this one doesn't look right either:

Trade Dollar

I know there are a lot of fake trade $'s in fake ANACS problem holders. Something about the denticles and the ANACS logo on the back doesn't look right to me (but Iam NOT a trade $ expert by any means)...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I thought about buying that coin -

I offered to pay the guy with a cashier's check for $300 more than my winning bid, contingent on him forwarding the surplus as payment to the delivery guy I wanted to send to his house to pick the coin up - I am still waiting to hear back.

Right now I have a bunch of furniture listed on Craig's List, and almost every piece has generated solicitations for this type of scam.

There are some criminals in this world, people.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Check out the seller's ebay id.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't all of his coins Chinese fakes? Did you check out his raw Morgans?
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

He should get booted off eBay.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Oh, he needs the boot alright!

Right up his ..... rectal crevice.
  • Options

<< <i>ITEM WILL BE SHIPPED WITH INS VIA PRIORITY MAIL

AS WITH ALL MY AUCTIONS AS IS, NO WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED
    >>

was this recently added?

note there is no return policy.

now 2 bids @ 2550 + 15 shipping ...

what's next? his own buyer's premium?

• Options
    someone mentioned all their coins were fake

I can't tell, fuzzy pictures (intentional?)

but they have a group with some common silver quarters (the 32-D looks funny) with normal wear/crud

do you feel this guy got duped himself or that they know they are selling crap?
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm -- the high bidder looks like an old friend. image
  • Options
    If you sell a fake knowing it is a fake and not representing it as such then you have committed fraud.

Someone should email him and remind him of that...............
  • Options
    I was thinking of that, but if you're obnoxious enough to put that in the auction after the fact (as I am guess he got some e-mails concerning the authenticity) then it probably wouldn't do much.

I'd save my time for reporting the item(s) and follow up until removed. Once removed, perhaps the message will get through to the person.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I e-mailed him yesterday, but he hasn't yet responded. I can't believe that auction is still live...
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the club members showed up to last Tuesday night's meeting with the same variety of Chinese 1796 silver dollar with the bust too far to the left. I sadly had to tell him it was a counterfeit, but he should have known better. He bought piece from some crook on Craig's List for $200.

Let's see ... How many people sell $12,000 coins for $200 knowing that a real piece is worth $12,000. No many that out side of the nut house. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for the bust left variety and the fact that the counterfeiters picked it for the DBSE fakes.
  • Options
    Wow I cant believe the auction is still running and the bid is up to $4,050.00. Ebay should be ashamed of themselves and the seller is a crook.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Now that this seller has been reported, I hope PCGS will take a active roll in this situation.
  • Options
    If ebay cared they would hire a private investigator to accept delivery then file charges
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Someone should bid 30K and not pay should this auction not get nuked . image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my bid in.

Then reported the auction.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Someone should drop a 500 pounder right on the sellers address.
  • Options
    If ebay cared they would hire a private investigator to accept delivery then file charges

how can they get their sellers fees if they put their crooks in jail?

any lawyers?, maybe we should start a class action suit for allowing fakes to be sold affecting the integrety of the coin industry
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If ebay cared they would hire a private investigator to accept delivery then file charges >>

HUH?

How does that work?

I'd be glad to do the same for free if it would work. But accepting delivery just gives you a fake coin in hand. You still don't know where the seller is.

As an aside, I've fingered two crooks in the past few months and nobody cared. One $30K coins was being sold on craigs list while it was in a forum member's safe. I contacted the buyer, arranged to buy it, got his real name, phone number, mailing address and google earth photo of his house. We contacted the FBI who never got back to us. In the second instance, I have a buyer sending me one of the "accidentally made the check out for $2000 extra" scam fake checks. I contacted the local police who never got back to me.

At least ebay will end the auction. They are slow but they will. They have to do some sort of validation. If the reports they're recieved just say "This is Fake" then how do they know it isn't just a competing seller trying to get this guy's listings taken down. You have to provide details that they can back up. they don't know coins. They see a coin in a PCGS slab and they assume it is real.

--Jerry
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is scumnuker still in business?
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If ebay cared they would hire a private investigator to accept delivery then file charges >>

HUH?

How does that work?

I'd be glad to do the same for free if it would work. But accepting delivery just gives you a fake coin in hand. You still don't know where the seller is.

As an aside, I've fingered two crooks in the past few months and nobody cared. One $30K coins was being sold on craigs list while it was in a forum member's safe. I contacted the buyer, arranged to buy it, got his real name, phone number, mailing address and google earth photo of his house. We contacted the FBI who never got back to us. In the second instance, I have a buyer sending me one of the "accidentally made the check out for $2000 extra" scam fake checks. I contacted the local police who never got back to me.

At least ebay will end the auction. They are slow but they will. They have to do some sort of validation. If the reports they're recieved just say "This is Fake" then how do they know it isn't just a competing seller trying to get this guy's listings taken down. You have to provide details that they can back up. they don't know coins. They see a coin in a PCGS slab and they assume it is real.

--Jerry >>

If the check was received via USPS mail (instead of just offered) try the postal inspectors office. Also, the Internet Crime Complaint Center

Actually both incidents could be reported to the ICCC.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that the FBI blew you off. I don't think there is a federal statute against "attempted fraud or theft." Unless a crime has been committed..... However, even once one has been it still has to be big enough for them to care. imageimage

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

HUH?

How does that work?

--Jerry >>

I would have been glad to write a check so long as they were willing to move in and make an arrest...

If the check was received via USPS mail (instead of just offered) try the postal inspectors office. Also, the Internet Crime Complaint Center

Actually both incidents could be reported to the ICCC.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that the FBI blew you off. I don't think there is a federal statute against "attempted fraud or theft." Unless a crime has been committed..... However, even once one has been it still has to be big enough for them to care. imageimage >>

• Options

<< <i>Someone should bid 30K and not pay should this auction not get nuked . image >>

I think someone did.

Glad to see Ebay is right on top of this one. image
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently at $4150, scary shat, really turns my stomach.
    Good work pcgs69,
    scott
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Originated from the same people as HERE most likely.
  • Options
    Nice educational thread............................................

for the chinese entrepreneur.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be funny if someone bought this fake and paid for it with a fake money order?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    That would be a good one. image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    All top TPG's need to keep a library with obverse and reverse images of the coins they have slabbed. Then when you look up a slab number for verification you can see the coin image as well.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    With the bid at $6877.77 smoe unlucky winner is going to be very disappointed. In the old days you could contact the bidders and warn them off but now with eBay hidden buyer ID they are just SOL.
  • Options

<< <i>All top TPG's need to keep a library with obverse and reverse images of the coins they have slabbed. Then when you look up a slab number for verification you can see the coin image as well. >>

You ok with grading fees doubling to pay for the photo service, database management, and storage requirements? and even if they do this, what about the millions of slabs already out there. The forgers can just forge those forever without ever touching the new stuff.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>With the bid at $6877.77 smoe unlucky winner is going to be very disappointed. In the old days you could contact the bidders and warn them off but now with eBay hidden buyer ID they are just SOL. >>

I think ebay has enough time to end this one. Otherwise scumnuker mike make a guest appearance on ebay. --Jerry
  • Options
    Agreed Jerry but they have to start somewhere to begin the transition to more secure slabs (if that's even possible).

The higher price is very unfortunate but is probably the lesser of two evils and an unfortunate necessity. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With the bid at $6877.77 smoe unlucky winner is going to be very disappointed. In the old days you could contact the bidders and warn them off but now with eBay hidden buyer ID they are just SOL. >>

I think ebay has enough time to end this one. Otherwise scumnuker mike make a guest appearance on ebay. --Jerry >>

Or "Coin Serpico" Mark.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file