Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OWN3D BY ANACS (Was: Grades from down the street, next block over.)

flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
I just got my ass handed to me by ANACS, trying to cross PCGS MS69s into ANACS MS69s:

001 1983-D Olympic ex-PCGS MS69 Coin does not meet owner's minimum grade requirement
002 1983-D Olympic ex-PCGS MS69 Coin does not meet owner's minimum grade requirement
003 1983-D Olympic ex-PCGS MS69 Coin does not meet owner's minimum grade requirement
004 1983-D Olympic ex-PCGS MS69 Coin does not meet owner's minimum grade requirement
005 1983-D Olympic ex-PCGS MS69 Coin does not meet owner's minimum grade requirement

This is the last dollar I need for my collection, but it looks like it won't happen this year.

I'm going to try tossing a couple NGCs into the mix. Lookee who just sold me one. Remember him image ?

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got my ass handed to me by ANACS, trying to cross PCGS MS69s into ANACS MS69s...

I must be missing something. Is there an ANACS-only registry that I have never heard of?
  • Options

<< <i>I must be missing something. Is there an ANACS-only registry that I have never heard of? >>

Is that all there is to collecting -- the registry? Maybe I'm in a registry of 1.

Linkadoodles.
  • Options
    I kind of like the light toning on the crispus attucks coin.
  • Options

<< <i>I kind of like the light toning on the crispus attucks coin. >>

That happened inside the holder. The coin was white (ahem) when I bought it.
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of those ANACS MS69's would make MS70 at PCGS?
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    I wonder... Do you think you would have had a better chance if you submitted them in the PCGS plastic and simply tried to cross???

• Options

<< <i>I wonder... Do you think you would have had a better chance if you submitted them in the PCGS plastic and simply tried to cross??? >>

Actually, that's what I did -- I wasn't so clear in my OP. The coins went to Dublin in PCGS MS69 holders, and they came back from Dublin in PCGS MS69 holders.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope it doesn't hurt the value being in PCGS holders. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to crack them all out and resubmit. You might get a grade drop, but you might also get a 69. It would also give some idea if ANACS is just trying to give PCGS a black eye by not grading their coins the same.
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I love ANACS...Not as easy to cherry pick from em anymore though. More people are starting to respect them.

*Disclaimer* I also love PCGS
  • Options

<< <i>It would be interesting to crack them all out and resubmit. You might get a grade drop, but you might also get a 69. It would also give some idea if ANACS is just trying to give PCGS a black eye by not grading their coins the same. >>

Sounds like an interesting experiment. Since these coins aren't particularly high-valued to begin with, I think I'll go for it. Bust 'em all out and try again raw, and see what comes back.

I hope the ANACS guys aren't reading this thread image ....
  • Options
    Nice collection!
    Coins, shiny coins!
  • Options
    Flaminio - it was the way you wrote "ex-PCGS" which gave me the impression they were cracked & submitted raw.

I'll tell you, I find it highly suspicious that ANACS claims 5 out of 5 PCGS coins are OVERGRADED by ANACS standards. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS has a reputation for being extremely conservative with high grade moderns. How many MS-70's have you seen in ANACS holders?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382

<< <i>ANACS has a reputation for being extremely conservative with high grade moderns. How many MS-70's have you seen in ANACS holders? >>

I agree totally. They are also rediculously tough with Washington's and also just about all gold coins.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're tough on Morgans too.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    They're tough on Morgans too.

Not in all cases...I've seen some way overgraded, and a few that are undergraded..

As with any service..
  • Options
    <<Sounds like an interesting experiment. Since these coins aren't particularly high-valued to begin with, I think I'll go for it. Bust 'em all out and try again raw, and see what comes back.>>

Let us know how it turns out. Should be very interesting.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    Man you sure did, you must be living off of a TRUST to be able to submit all those coins..... image

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    << ANACS has a reputation for being extremely conservative with high grade moderns. How many MS-70's have you seen in ANACS holders?>>

I've been watching for about a year for ANACS MS70 coins - of any kind, and not one has shown up on ebay, TelTrade, or Heritage. I believe someone on the board said they had seen one at a show somewhere. Personally I think they are being tight to the point it's going to put them out of business. I like buying their coins, but I'm not willing to send any for grading unless it has problems.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally I think they are being tight to the point it's going to put them out of business. I like buying their coins, but I'm not willing to send any for grading unless it has problems. >>

This, alas, is the prevailing attitude that leads to gradeflation.
  • Options
    Bob,

Super collection!!

I think that the main thing regarding ANACS grading is "that they do not wander around as much as PCGS or NGC".!!! They seem to me to be extremely consistant. I have not sent a coin in an ANACS holder to PCGS that did not cross.

I also think that you might achieve your goal, if you send some of those coins in raw. It's a real hoot that some other TPG finds PCGS grades lacking.

Gary
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I'll tell you, I find it highly suspicious that ANACS claims 5 out of 5 PCGS coins are OVERGRADED by ANACS standards.

Would you say the same thing if it was the other way around?

I must be missing something. Is there an ANACS-only registry that I have never heard of?

With a comment like that, maybe you should change your handle to RYKBLAYNUMIS image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a reallly really nice collection flaminio! image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>Would you say the same thing if it was the other way around? >>

I would indeed. The top three are the top three for good reasons. Subsequently the top three are always in direct competition with the other two.

There is a reason that the coins given to the graders have no identifying characteristics regarding the submitter. The reason is to eliminate potential favor, influence and bias. When a coin is graded in another TPG's plastic, the possibility of bias can never be removed. It's right there staring each & every grader right in the face, and possibly influencing the grade.

Now if the coins are resubmitted raw and one or more come back as 69, this still doesn't actually prove bias. It would, however, prove inconsistency, which we all full well know is something that is common in all TPG's.
  • Options

<< <i>It would be interesting to crack them all out and resubmit. You might get a grade drop, but you might also get a 69. It would also give some idea if ANACS is just trying to give PCGS a black eye by not grading their coins the same. >>

Done. I cracked out the five PCGS MS69s and resubmitted them raw. And I got totally OWNED:

001 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS65 !!
    002 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS65 !!
    003 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS66
    004 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS67
    005 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS68

Oh, man this is turning into a serious biatch of a coin to make. I might have to put a bounty out on it -- the grading fees alone are killing me for what should be an easy coin.
  • Options
    It's tough for me to believe that a coin graded MS69 by PCGS could grade a 65 elsewhere.....but I would have to see the coins in hand to make a complete assessment. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

ANACS standards for these coins have always been very strict. I doubt if they are trying to give anyone a "black eye."
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    YOU GOT STIFFED ™
  • Options
    Good thing you're not trying to build the set in 70 image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just got my ass handed to me by ANACS, trying to cross PCGS MS69s into ANACS MS69s...

I must be missing something. Is there an ANACS-only registry that I have never heard of? >>

Some people prefer ANACS to PCGS. image
  • Options

<< <i>Some people prefer ANACS to PCGS. image >>

Indeed.

OK, it's bounty time. I really don't want to go through another round of submissions for this coin. In a PCGS MS69 holder, this is a $30 coin. If any of you dealers out there can make me an ANACS MS69, I'll pay you $200 for it. So how's your eye? Think you can outthink ANACS?
  • Options
    I like ANACS slabs especially. I like that they won't body bag, they'll net it instead. I like the service and the price. Re-sale price isn't quite there. You're on a very difficult quest. I think I've only seen a couple of ANACS MS 69 coins in my whole life. I think one of the most beautiful Washingtons I've ever had in my hand was an 1949 in ANACS MS 67. (I just sent it to NGC for cross...)

Good Luck on your quest!
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANACS will bodybag fakes and coins with active PVC contamination.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>ANACS will bodybag fakes and coins with active PVC contamination. >>

Actually with active PVC they send it back to you to correct then you can send it back to them for a nominal fee...
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>ANACS will bodybag fakes and coins with active PVC contamination. >>

Actually with active PVC they send it back to you to correct then you can send it back to them for a nominal fee... >>

Really? I have had stuff bagged for PVC in the past and they say nothing about the nomial fee regrade. Its bodybagged and tough luck.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    OWNED. I would be so angry I would stop buying ANACS if this happened to me.
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Some people prefer ANACS to PCGS. image >>

Indeed.

OK, it's bounty time. I really don't want to go through another round of submissions for this coin. In a PCGS MS69 holder, this is a $30 coin. If any of you dealers out there can make me an ANACS MS69, I'll pay you $200 for it. So how's your eye? Think you can outthink ANACS? >>

Does anyone have the pop report on this coin in a MS69?
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options

<< <i>Really? I have had stuff bagged for PVC in the past and they say nothing about the nomial fee regrade. Its bodybagged and tough luck. >>

Yes, in fact its on the front of the ANACS submission form... PVC Re-Grade ($5.00 per coin)

Of course you still eat the shipping costs too...

-Kurt-
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I moved all my Kennedy varieties and errors to ANACS some time back. Kudos on the set Bob. Good luck.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Nice set! Good job!
  • Options
    Thanks for the nice words on my set.

I'm going to list these on eBay. Do you think it would be considered keyword spamming if I put "ANACS MS65 ex-PCGS MS69" in the auction title? I'm not trying to louse up anyone's searches, but it is an accurate description of the item.
  • Options
    I don't think it would be wrong. If you have a copy or photos of the inserts that would probably help add to the value.

Did you ever find out the population report on the MS-69's?
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options

<< <i>Did you ever find out the population report on the MS-69's? >>

Rats! I was going to look it up last night, but got totally caught up in something else, and forgot. I'll try to remember to check it tonight when I get home.
  • Options

<< <i>Done. I cracked out the five PCGS MS69s and resubmitted them raw. And I got totally OWNED:

001 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS65 !!
    002 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS65 !!
    003 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS66
    004 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS67
    005 1983-D Olympic (was PCGS MS69) --> ANACS MS68 >>

So based on the fact that the coins DNC when still holdered, and then came back as much as 4 MS grades lower when submitted raw, where is uproar of complaints that XXXX is severely overgrading.image

I mean, to play devils advocate, if these coins were in NTC, NNC, ICG or PCI plastic, there would be a 200 post thread of condemnation. Why isn't the Numismatic Consumer Alliance (NCA) rushing to your side to file lawsuits.imageimage

Seriously though, why is a 4 grade drop so easily accepted?

On a lighter note, here's the most current info I have...

My Oct. 2004 ANACS pop report shows the 1983-D Olympic commem as follows:

Total: 35
    MS66: 5
    MS67: 11
    MS68: 17
    MS69: 2

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So based on the fact that the coins DNC when still holdered, and then came back as much as 4 MS grades lower when submitted raw, where is uproar of complaints that XXXX is severely overgrading.:HMMMMM

NGC could use a few more posters.

Leo image

Bob

Can you post some pics of those coins?

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

<< <i>

NGC could use a few more posters.

>>

WOW. You figured me out. I'm an NGC shill. image
    I'll bet you fingered that out by the sneaky way that I failed to even mention NGC in my post.
    You must be some sort of dicktective.image

Get over yourself skippy and grap another glass of kool-aid. I hold no candle for any grading company. I personally believe that PCGS is the best out here, but they make many, many mistakes.

So tell me, in your amateur, er, professional opinion, did PCGS overgrade by 4 points or did ANACS undergrade by 4 points?
  • Options
    Pretty big difference. 69 to 65 that is huge. I would like to know what they see that PCGS didn't see.

PURPLE!
  • Options

<< <i>Can you post some pics of those coins? >>

Sure.

ANACS MS65

ANACS MS65

ANACS MS66

ANACS MS67

ANACS MS68
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

So based on the fact that the coins DNC when still holdered, and then came back as much as 4 MS grades lower when submitted raw, where is uproar of complaints that XXXX is severely overgrading.image

I mean, to play devils advocate, if these coins were in NTC, NNC, ICG or PCI plastic, there would be a 200 post thread of condemnation. Why isn't the Numismatic Consumer Alliance (NCA) rushing to your side to file lawsuits.imageimage

<< <i>

Excellent points--I'm sure that NCA will jump on this soon!
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file