Home U.S. Coin Forum

OWN3D BY ANACS (Was: Grades from down the street, next block over.)

2»

Comments

• flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why isn't the Numismatic Consumer Alliance (NCA) rushing to your side to file lawsuits.imageimage >>

LOL. Really. I bought five overgraded coins. Who's going to make me whole?

<< <i>My Oct. 2004 ANACS pop report shows the 1983-D Olympic commem as follows:

Total: 35
    MS66: 5
    MS67: 11
    MS68: 17
    MS69: 2 >>

Yow, only 2 69s. It might take a while to find one...

Still, it's twice as many as there are 1982-D Washington halves -- but I already got one of those image.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few months ago I bought a 1963 dime in ANACS PF68 Heavy Cameo for the simple reason that I didn't think ANACS ever gave grades that high to modern proofs. I found it at the Cheap Slab Store and paid a fraction of the cost of a similar coin in a PCGS holder. It's a nice coin and even has some deep purple toning in spots, but it doesn't look like a world-beater to me. Having read the (painful) results of your experiment, I wonder how it would grade if I cracked it and sent it the other way to PCGS...?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • I'm an ANACS collector too. BTW Bob, that is a sweet set of commems!

Here are some ANACS coins I just bought from Teletrade...

GoYankees, you have impeccable taste in coins that more than makes up for your dismal choice of baseball teams (Go Tribe!). The low cert# on that Kennedy shows that it was slabbed before ANACS was designated Cams; from the pic I'm sure it would go Cameo if not Hvy Cameo after the Russ treatment. The dime is a sweetie, too -- tough to get that high of a grade on a non-SMS piece. I have a 1965 in MS66 that I'm thinking about resubmitting to get the FSB designation. Good stuff!

• << <i>GoYankees, you have impeccable taste in coins that more than makes up for your dismal choice of baseball teams (Go Tribe!). The low cert# on that Kennedy shows that it was slabbed before ANACS was designated Cams; from the pic I'm sure it would go Cameo if not Hvy Cameo after the Russ treatment. The dime is a sweetie, too -- tough to get that high of a grade on a non-SMS piece. I have a 1965 in MS66 that I'm thinking about resubmitting to get the FSB designation. Good stuff! >>

Bob,

Thanks!

If the Yanks have to take 2 of 3 in Boston to survive, they're done. The Indians have a better team than the Chisox. They should get in.

I'm a little nervous about cracking an old slab. I hope Russ sees this coin. Maybe I'll PM him. It cost me under $30.

I normally prefer at least MS64 FBL for Frankies but for under $20, I couldn't resist.

I was shocked that I paid less than $45 for that dime.

BTW nice snipe on that CA 25c. I really wanted that coin. image

I'm curious to see how Greg's 1983-D grades out. I hope you finally get that MS69.

<< <i>BTW nice snipe on that CA 25c. I really wanted that coin. image >>

Heh -- thanks. CA's my adopted home state, so I went a little high on that one -- had to get it image.

<< <i>Wow steep price to pay for plastic. Maybe anacs will sell you an empty slab with ms69 on it for $100 therefore saving you a $100. >>

Blow me.
  • Flaminio,

You're my hero. That set is an accomplishment that 99% of coin collectors cannot appreciate. ANACS is by far the most strict, although truly accurate TPG around. They have been overlooked for far too long. I am in the process of sending a dozen Irish coins to them now. One is NGC slabbed PF70. That one will be interesting. image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
    Mission Accomplished! Behold:

Thanks go out to Todd Abbey and the crew at Cameo CC for their help in making this a reality.
  • VamGuyVamGuy Posts: 1,624
    Congratulations!!

Since this is obviously one of their newer slabs, I gotta know, was this one of your coins that was previously and unsuccessfully submitted for this grade???

<< <i>Since this is obviously one of their newer slabs, I gotta know, was this one of your coins that was previously and unsuccessfully submitted for this grade??? >>

Nope. All those coins are losers. This one was hand-picked from Cameo CC's inventory and crossed by them. They took all the risk for a DNC on this one, but clearly they got a better eye and better luck than me.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, I will keep my day time job...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• critocrito Posts: 1,735

<< <i>They're tough on Morgans too.

Not in all cases...I've seen some way overgraded, and a few that are undergraded..

As with any service.. >>

Randy Campbell is one of the top Morgan graders/experts in the world. Wish I could say the same about some of their other graders, but anyway... for Morgans ANACS is tought to beat IMHO and, incidentally, they're the only TPGS to recognize exceptional DMPL Morgans with the UDM designation (ultra deep mirrors), like this one I just bought on ebay image

• << <i>Mission Accomplished! Behold:

Thanks go out to Todd Abbey and the crew at Cameo CC for their help in making this a reality. >>

imageimage

BTW, out of curiosity, how did Greg's NGC 83-D do?

Inquiring minds like to know. image

<< <i>BTW, out of curiosity, how did Greg's NGC 83-D do? >>

Never got the chance. I was trying to accumulate five NGC MS69s for the Crossover Experiment Version 3, but I only got three before acquiring the ANACS one. So, they'll be cycled back into the community via eBay. I got one up right now; not sure if it was Greg's.
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Interesting thread. I'm surprised that pcgs initially gave 69's to the two that anacs regraded 65- there's obvious spotting going on that should not have been in 69 holders.
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch the pops on that coin and other low-pop modern commems closely over the next six months. I've seen a few data points now that ANACS has loosened up grading on moderns considerably under their new leadership. How long until ANACS holders with the old font start going for premiums a la PCI...?

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file