Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you ask about CAC submission before purchasing?

GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
Curious regarding how many people make a practice of asking before purchasing an unstickered coin whether or not it has been submitted to CAC? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time, no.

Some of the time, I will ask if it is known to the seller if the coin has been submitted.

I don't buy only CAC, I buy the coin, but there are some I would like to send to CAC and, if it has already gone, I won't bother. Sometimes, if it has gone, and not stickered, I may still buy while others times I won't.

All depends on the coin, and its look to me (as well as the price).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped asking. Instead I offer to purchase coins if the dealer is willing to submit and the coin is accepted by CAC. I can think of 3 coins in my collection that were purchased that way.
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ask!!!! Unfortunately there is no one to ask at the auction services...
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    I ask, but mostly to save myself the needless expense of shipping it to CAC. It usually doesn't influence the buy decision.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the time

mark
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the coins on my website have been to CAC and earned a sticker, but on those pieces that have never been sent in I would guesstimate that perhaps one-third of the inquiries will ask if the coin has already been sent. Sometimes, folks will offer to purchase based upon a subsequent successful submission.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sure, I ask.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 626 ✭✭✭
    I ask most of the time.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never asked, and I have purchased a couple of coins that I knew had flunked at CAC.

PCGS graded this 1851-O gold dollar MS-63. The dealer who had it sent it in at least once to try to upgrade it to MS-64.

imageimage

CAC also turned down this Scott Confederate half dollar restrike. I believer the grade is MS-61.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had even thought about asking the seller.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never once asked.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy them raw, get them encapsulated then submit to CAC myself. I have sold an occasional coin on E-Bay and volunteered if I've never sent a coin I had encapsulated myself. I've never had a buyer ask.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I advocate smart collecting, whatever the cost.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone has CAC stickers on lesser coins they are selling, I automatically assume the others failed. I might be wrong sometimes but it has served me well. Besides, how do you know they are telling you the truth? There is no way to verify it for the common man.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No- but I really don't buy many slabbed US coins. I know the last one I bought was not submitted to CAC

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I equate this with asking a dealer if a raw coin he is selling has been sent to PCGS.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: keets

I equate this with asking a dealer if a raw coin he is selling has been sent to PCGS.

Right, and same assumption I have. If he is selling newly graded coins of lesser value, why would he be selling this one raw. This has saved me plenty of times over the years.
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely, the bean is a market driver, so if I like a beanless coin, I ask.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never asked, but have been asked.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never ask......never cared!
  • Options
    PutTogetherPutTogether Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭
    It has never occurred to me to ask, probably because I doubted my ability to believe the answer. Apparently I'm not trusting enough.
  • Options
    HandHHandH Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

Right, and same assumption I have. If he is selling newly graded coins of lesser value, why would he be selling this one raw. This has saved me plenty of times over the years.

Have you ever asked a dealer if they sent a coin to CAC and it was refused certification, and they said yes?

US Civil War coinage
    Historical Medals

• Options
    Originally posted by: HandH

Have you ever asked a dealer if they sent a coin to CAC and it was refused certification, and they said yes?

I believe I have.

I also know, having submitted and talking to JA on some submissions, that there are plenty of coins I would buy for our collection even if they have failed to sticker.

There are some NICELY toned proof IHCs that he just doesn't like the look of and won't sticker, but I love them (NT/graded right) and would buy them all day, with no sticker, if the price was right (ie....normal pricing for nicely toned copper versus the outrageous pricing that, imho, some people ask for.)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on what you collect and whether you think the sticker adds value. OTOH, the more info you have about a coin before a purchase, the better. On what I collect, I wouldn't pay any premium for a stickered coin. Have seen too many with which I am not impressed. Now if I was buying a gem $20 gold coin, that's different, but I don't collect gold.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Bob1951Bob1951 Posts: 268 ✭✭
    No, because I simply don't care. I buy the coin- not the holder, not the sticker, I do not need it. If I like the coin I buy it-sticker or no sticker, slabbed or raw-makes no difference to me. The coin is the same coin stickered,raw,slabbed. IF I see a coin with a sticker that I do not like, I do not buy it. Only my opinion is the one that counts when I am buying.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes depending on the situation. If a dealer has a lean towards CAC coins and one isn't stickered you have to ask yourself why. Is the coin over graded but would sticker one grade down, two. Are you missing something that JA didn't. Sometimes being humble can save you a lot of money.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Boosibri

Sometimes depending on the situation. If a dealer has a lean towards CAC coins and one isn't stickered you have to ask yourself why. Is the coin over graded but would sticker one grade down, two. Are you missing something that JA didn't. Sometimes being humble can save you a lot of money.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    HashTagHashTag Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    Always. I buy 90% of my coins from two of the large auction houses and have a well known, highly respected numismatist that I know and talk to in person frequently at each business. Both, have told me yes, no and I don't know but doubt it would sticker. One has told me repeatedly to pass on a coin I wanted stating there's better out there so be patient. He is also the same person that will sit down with me and my coins at his office, regardless of where I bought them and give his opinion as to what will sticker; he's batting over 94%. I do get a lot of grief from other collectors for relying so heavily on others but since my taste and budget has increased dramatically I need reassurance. Ok, even hand holding on coins $25K and above.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for coins over $100....always.

for coins under $100 never.

Of course, Canadian and fractional gold coins are not reviewed by CAC so those I never asked.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    knightemknightem Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

If someone has CAC stickers on lesser coins they are selling, I automatically assume the others failed. I might be wrong sometimes but it has served me well. Besides, how do you know they are telling you the truth? There is no way to verify it for the common man.

Some dealers don't send coins to CAC; they just buy and sell coins regardless if they have stickers on them or not. So it doesn't automatically mean non-stickered coins have been sent and failed. Now if you know that a particular dealer DOES send coins into CAC, then the assumption may be valid.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Gazes
    Curious regarding how many people make a practice of asking before purchasing an unstickered coin whether or not it has been submitted to CAC? Thanks

Never. But I never purchase coins with high enough values that CAC would even be relevant. Just an extra sticker to obscure part of the PCGS label as far as I'm concerned.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have.

I trust my eye and grading skills, not implying they are even close to JA levels, but I have looked at so many coins through the years that I know what I think is properly graded (or undergraded.)
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never have but have been tempted to.

You'd never really know for sure, as most dealers likely wouldn't talk down coins that they are trying to sell.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Rayman311Rayman311 Posts: 423 ✭✭✭
    Yes
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never... because I simply do not care..... If I like the coin, I buy it.... I am not persuaded by labels, slabs, grades, stickers or hype..... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: mannie gray
    Never have.
    I trust my eye and grading skills, not implying they are even close to JA levels, but I have looked at so many coins through the years that I know what I think is properly graded (or undergraded.)

That's just half the equation. I, too, have that level of experience of grading expertise. But what I cannot do is detect all the doctoring techniques that they can do these days.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some NICELY toned proof IHCs that he just doesn't like the look of and won't sticker

this is an interesting stance for CAC to have, I wonder if it means they don't believe the color is legit or if it's just a personal preference??
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John stickers coins he would be willing to buy. If he doesn't like the look of a particular coin, he won't sticker it. Said coin might be low end for the grade, have a problem, or just not have the look that he likes.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

There are some NICELY toned proof IHCs that he just doesn't like the look of and won't sticker

this is an interesting stance for CAC to have, I wonder if it means they don't believe the color is legit or if it's just a personal preference??

I don't find it "an interesting stance", I find it is what it is. He stickers what he likes.

When I talked to him about some of mine that didn't sticker, he didn't complain about the color being legit or not, just that he didn't like the look.

With toned coins, they can be a personal preference.

It can also be a difference in opinion of RD/RB/BN.

I think you try to read too much into things. Again, I am talking about the ones I submitted and that I talked to him on the phone about. Not a single one did he say he didn't sticker because of the color possibly being less than legit (and, I didn't submit any blue IHC proofs)

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

that might be a good question to ask on a modern coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file