Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charmy's 2012 PNNA TUKWILA/SEATTLE SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thursday: I arrived at the John Wayne airport quite early since my hubby dropped me off on his way to work. Here’s a photo of the inside of the airport (some of you may recognize it since a few movies have been filmed inside the terminal.

And here’s my plane arriving from another flight

When I landed in Seattle I couldn’t believe how beautiful the weather was! My brother Paul who lives outside Seattle picked me up at the airport. Here are some beautiful photos he took Thursday morning from his office of the Expedia building….

After I settled in and relaxed a bit, we headed out to meet one of my brother’s friends for an early dinner at his favorite local Mexican restaurant. Just within the few hours we were in the house, the day turned from bright and sunny to full on rain! And then it quickly stopped.

As you can see the parking lot of the restaurant is empty because it was too early for the happy hour/dinner crowd.

Paul and his friend are in a jazz band, so I went with them to watch their rehearsal, then it was back home for a relaxing evening in front of the tv!

Friday: Here are some photos I took on my way to the show.

This is a pretty bridge over the Cedar River that we crossed to get to the Tukwila Community Center.

I arrived an hour before dealer set up began so I took some photos of the empty bourse floor

And here’s the bourse after the dealers were set up and just before the collectors were let in

This is the long line of customers waiting anxiously to be let in!

SeattleSlammer was the first board member to stop by my table - he is such a nice and friendly guy! And he loves PCGS old green holder coins (notice the green box!). He was even kind enough to buy one of my Indian cents in an old green holder – he has great taste!!

JackRabbit

Chad, a regular customer of mine, and a heck of a nice guy!

PonyExpress/Glenn and Dennis88 were also set up at this show

On Friday after the show, we had dinner and then just headed back home to watch a movie.

I should explain a little as to why you won’t see any wine bottles and the usual post-show entertainment in this show report. I thought it was time to try and lose a few pounds so, among other things, I have cut out wine and other drinks for a while. I know, I know, you’re thinking “Charmy’s show report with NO wine – how boring!” Yes, believe me I miss my wine and my pre-flight beverages, but it’s a good thing for now.

So this is how I spent my evenings during this show - there is something to be said for relaxing, bonding with family, enjoying a good movie, and waking up refreshed!

My brother Paul and his girlfriend Vicki doing the same thing!

Saturday: Just before the show opened to the public on Saturday morning, there was another long line of people gathered ready to search for coins.

The PNNA set up a “hospitality room” for the dealers where they could get coffee and snacks during the show. Here is Jasmine, a cute young YN, talking to Jeff Shevlin in the hospitality room.

This trio looked like they were having too much fun at the show!

I think that this show is particularly a good place to find quality raw coins. Here are my newps!

Though I also found this beautiful 1914-D in a very difficult grade

More forum members who stopped by my table:

Cazkaboom, a CoinTalk forum member

Bochiman

Bochiman’s son Ronnie and his friend Ryan

Bochiman and Lakesammman

Me!

Here are some of the neat exhibits on display in a room across from the show.

And here are some of the other dealers who set up at this show

Art McBride – a really wonderful guy, honest, fair and nice!

Jerry Bobbe – an early copper enthusiast and expert and fellow Conder token lover

Lisa and Scott Loos, our dedicated, hard-working show promoters

I found these interesting items on display in one of the dealer’s case.

After the show on Saturday, we went to a great Benihana’s-type restaurant where everyone is seated around a hibachi and the chef entertains us with fancy juggling of flaming cooking utensils, slicing and tossing food, making an onion volcano, etc., all while he cooks our food. It’s a lot of fun and the food is amazing!

I took this photo outside the restaurant as the sun was going down. It was another beautiful night in Seattle!

So after dinner, Paul drove us around the back roads near where he lives not far from the Green River (yes, THAT Green River). It is a really beautiful area with some gorgeous homes.

That’s the Green River behind me

And this is a very cute tiny list shrew that we saw along the shore

Sunday: Sunday started out much slower with collectors sort of trickling in, but soon the room was buzzing again with lots of people. I had a very good day with several of my regular customers stopping by and picking out some nice pieces. SeattleSlammer came by again and we had more time to chat and talk about pretty copper (my favorite subject!). After a while, I felt comfortable deeming him a “self-serve” customer and let him sort of pick through my case on his own when I needed to help other customers. Seattle picked out several of my more eye-appealing coins to examine – he definitely has a good eye for pretty copper!

Airplanenut also stopped by for a chat – between his job and hobbies, he seems like a very busy guy!

Soon, it was time to start the packing up process. I finished early before my brother was to take me to the airport, so I brought my iPod over to Glenn and Dennis’ table to “supervise” their packing up!

Since Dennis was leaving on the same airline as me, my brother took us both to the airport. Dennis’ flight ended up being at the same gate as my flight but an hour later so it was nice to have someone to hang out with until it was time to board.

Now I’m back home, catching up on all the paperwork that goes along with being a coin dealer. Since I won’t be going to Central States this year, I have a few weeks off to also catch up with my family and friends, as well as catch up on projects that are waiting for me here at home!

My next show will be the Denver ANA – hope to see some of you there!!!
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    I think some of the photo captions don't correctly correspond with the photos...

Anyhow it was a decent show although the Penny Lady without wine was an eerily strange sight.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report... Looks like a fun show image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    great write up as suspected charmy
    what a great life aye...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shoot - forgot about the exhibits! image

Nice to see you again - thanks for making the trek. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Dang, I'm jelous! Thanks for the photos and info.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think some of the photo captions don't correctly correspond with the photos... >>

Oops, sorry, my bad - it's been fixed!

<< <i>Anyhow it was a decent show although the Penny Lady without wine was an eerily strange sight. >>

Yes, and strange for me as well - I surely did miss having a glass of wine when a show slows down in the afternoon! A dealer friend even brought me a bottle of wine that I sadly declined and instead asked that they open it and have a glass for me. Don't worry, come the Long Beach show, the wine will definitely be flowing again!!!
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report and photos, sounds like a good time all around.
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You picked a fine time to "dry out". Washington produces some of the finest Cabs and Merlots in North America, IMNSHO!

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show report and pics, Charmy....nobody does it better.
    Love Seattle's green box.....whish I was a young as him...not to mention trim as him! image

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report Charmy but damn! Where's the vino? image
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Thanks, as always, for the report Charmy! Did most of the dealers you talked to say that business was "decent?"

<< <i>Thanks, as always, for the report Charmy! Did most of the dealers you talked to say that business was "decent?" >>

All the dealers I spoke to said business was great, which was my experience as well - I didn't hear any complaints at all ... well, except that they ran out of coffee in the hospitality room on Saturday morning! I understand this show has a waiting list for dealers to get a table - that should say something about the quality of a show.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report. I feel bad to have missed a great show. Maybe next year I'll make it.

Lots of friends in the Great Northwest.

Seattle in not the place to go to "Dry out".
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    The photos are great along with the report!
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Another great show report Charmy. Always love all the pics that you include.

Mike
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual a super report! ....but something freaky is going on with my nose in your pic...some weird triangle looking action or something...must be the great gymnasium lighting!
  • mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a great show...thanks for the report as always
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>something freaky is going on with my nose in your pic.. >>

I think it's getting longer, Slammer. I hear this is something that happens to Democrats.... image
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but something freaky is going on with my nose in your pic...some weird triangle looking action or something...must be the great gymnasium lighting! >>

SeattleSlammer, That was one of those details that no one would have noticed until you pointed it out, but now that you did...

Holy howitzers batman it would take a mount climbing team several months to scale that colossal extremity! imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Girl, love your posts. You are the best.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy. I am baffled though, where are the wine pictures?? image

Edited: ok, guess I should read the post as well as looking at all the pics. Whoops.
    New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report as usual! With so many pics, I feel like I was there.

Sadly, I was stuck at work all weekend - a poorly timed software rollout screwed me. image

Sunny weather and a great show, all down the tubes....arg.

Thanks again for the super report. Awesome!

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Charmy, thanks as usual for your report and the great pictures. You help a lot of forum members "attend" shows after the fact this way! image
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for the great report and photos.
    They're very much appreciated by those of us that couldn't attend.
    Cheers to you!image

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Since the show was on the other side of the U.S. of A. from me I sat home and drank a bottle of MD 20/20, by myself I might add.
    Great report and pictures as usual. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always I love your reports Charmy...Great pics and thank you for taking the time...

ABimage
    CoinJunkie, I completely agree - Washington has some absolutely wonderful wines. I've even bought some of them down here in California. But don't worry, I will be back to having my wine soon.....

Also, I forgot to mention in my report that I also bought a really unusual Conder token at the show. It's a Surry 22 farthing and is SOOOOO very cool because it has a flipover strike! You can see details of the ship on the Sir Dunstan side. If you look to the left side of his head you'll see the ship's mast. I just love it!!!

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Charmy, thanks as usual for your report and the great pictures. You help a lot of forum members "attend" shows after the fact this way! image >>

Yes, thanks for taking the time and effort to do this. Very much appreciated.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what you guys are talking about, wine hasn't been the same since Gallo stopped making Ripple! I'm still upset that you West coasties can still get Thunderbird while we East coasties must do without. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy... even without the wine.... Cheers, RickO
  • TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Not the same without the wine report.
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful report!
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    As always, great report Charmy. Look forward to seeing you again soon :-) I will bring the redhead too :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    The flip-strike piece (ship side) has the look of an undersized planchet, but it's not right?

<< <i>The flip-strike piece (ship side) has the look of an undersized planchet, but it's not right? >>

Good eye! It was supposed to be struck on a 1/2 pence instead of a farthing.
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The flip-strike piece (ship side) has the look of an undersized planchet, but it's not right? >>

Good eye! It was supposed to be struck on a 1/2 pence instead of a farthing. >>

Thanks. It's very eye appealing!

<< <i>As always, great report Charmy. Look forward to seeing you again soon :-) I will bring the redhead too :-) >>

Jack, it's so good to see you back on the boards and back into coins! I can't wait to see you and that beautiful redheaded gal of yours - and perhaps we can have a rematch game of pool! Will you make it to the Long Beach show?
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CoinJunkie, I completely agree - Washington has some absolutely wonderful wines. I've even bought some of them down here in California. But don't worry, I will be back to having my wine soon.....

Also, I forgot to mention in my report that I also bought a really unusual Conder token at the show. It's a Surry 22 farthing and is SOOOOO very cool because it has a flipover strike! You can see details of the ship on the Sir Dunstan side. If you look to the left side of his head you'll see the ship's mast. I just love it!!!

image >>

Great looking token..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file