Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A, Series B and 1983 Wreslting All Stars Sealed Sets hit EBAY

Comments

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first of the sets is going to end tonight.

The current bid is up to $360 for the 1983 Wrestling All Stars set.

I just checked the number of watchers and they are as follows.

82A 49

82B 32

83 35

I am surprised the 82B has less then the 83 series.
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the 1982 B a lot more than the 1983...interesting.....
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    The final hammer on the 83 set was $539.

I can still remember the days I could pick these up for $50 on EBAY.

The main event is coming up in 5 hours.

Another wrestling item that may get some action at the end is the 1973 Andre The Giant paper card.

1973 Andre The Giant
    Wow the Andre just popped hard. It was at $124 when I posted and now is sitting at $305.

Wish I had bought this for $150 when it sat there a few months back with no bids.

May still go higher with 21 watchers.

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow the Andre just popped hard. It was at $124 when I posted and now is sitting at $305.

Wish I had bought this for $150 when it sat there a few months back with no bids.

May still go higher with 21 watchers. >>

Wow, that jumped.

I decided to end my magazine so I can see what this ends at.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
    Tony, on one of the specials cut it up and sub them. There are a few others listed getting some action.

A friend a long time ago told me to send them to PSA and they would do great in holders. I did not and was the first to cut up a 1978 magazine, and a 1981 magazine and put them on EBAY and they did great. The next to try had terrible results and the paper cards from that auction a board member sent to PSA and got graded. The Flair he won for $10 and sold for $245 as it graded a PSA 9. The Hogan got an auth grade and was bought for $26 and sold for $170.

I won the 1981 Andre from that auction for $1 and flipped it for $45 just in a card saver.

There are a few major stars in the magazine like Mil Mascaras that would do great in a holder.

Good luck either way.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Crap. With that, the Andre just passed my much-higher-than-I-was-comfortable-with snipe that I had set.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the unopened pack market isn't the only thing heating up. Wow!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    No telling where this will go............ previous predictions will be low I suspect.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    The Andre paper card is at $414.
    That used to have very little action before..... I am not a fan of the paper card but with the PSA slab it makes it worth something.
    The top bidder on the 82A is stacked up with four bids.

One of my friends I talk to you about the cards thinks this will go for over $3,000.

Time will tell.

That Andre is popping hard. There are a few new very agressive bidders in the market.
    stacked only two bids now....... but $300 higher than a few minutes ago...there has to be some people laying in the weeds here.....
  • JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Here is the bid history for the current under-bidder on the Andre card. I'm not as schooled on shill bidding as I should be....does anything about this look strange?
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    I know who the high bidder is and he has been buying almost everything Wrestling related from this era so I would say no funny business on his part.
    No not at all shill bidding. The guy who is the top bid on the Andre card is a very good buyer. The under bidder is the lead bid on the 82A set and was the under bidder on the 83 set.

Just agressive bidding here with no funny games.

This is exaclty why I say Snipe bidding does not work on rare cards. A board member earlier in this thread said darn the bid already moved past my snipe. There is no way to acurately predict what others will bid on a rare item period.

This is the only Andre with a grade assigned to it and a Pop 1. If two or more people want it the price will go crazy which is what is happening.

• JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Thanks guys. I honestly didn't know, so thanks for the info.
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
    I agree with DPeck and King Bees here....these are legit bids on these items....

<< <i>If two or more people want it the price will go crazy which is what is happening. >>

The perfect storm. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Sealed sets have 30 minutes to go.

The paper Andre has 80 minutes left, it's up to $510.
    Wow that baby is on the move. $549.

SNIPE theory is officially dead.

<< <i>The paper Andre has 80 minutes left, it's up to $510. >>

Mike, it looks like you are looking good pulling that magazine. image

Collecting:

<< <i>

<< <i>The paper Andre has 80 minutes left, it's up to $510. >>

Mike, it looks like you are looking good pulling that magazine. image >>

I'm patting myself on the back for acting quickly enough. image
    What do you think made the paper Andre an 8 as opposed to a 9 or 10? It looks a little O/C top to bottom, anything else?
    Could be the paper quality or centering. Tough to tell.

These older magazines have a tendancy to have the paper start to stain.

On a side note, a raw Iron Sheik went for $43. WOW!
    Yeah I got outbid on the Sheikimage
    This is going to be fun to watch the last minutes.............
    Here we go...
    $1,759, I was thinking close to $1800

$735 for the 82B, was thinking close to $750.

These numbers are very appropriate I think.

That was fun to watch!
    B set went for over $700 which is a good price IMHO. At the current market that is approx. $3200 for the three sealed sets and only 108 cards....of course the next sealed 1982 A set might reach that alone....
    The PSA 9 JYD just got an opening bid of $295. Very nice image
    Damn, just sold that card two weeks ago for just $125
    The registery heavy weights must be reading our posts after all. image

Collecting:
  • Some crazy prices on things, in a down economy....

I was just looking through past sales of Nintendo sealed games. I've looked many times before, but not this year, and I just threw up.... Crazy.

You can do the same in Comics, Transformers, G.I. Joe's, Lego's too, those things are nuts!, then Star Wars, Coins, etc, etc...

People will always collect, that's what keeps me hopeful about sportscards...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    Andre paper card closed at $660.
    Those were some impressive figures at the close for many of the cards.

The Hogan PSA 7 went for $430 which is a big number. Very nice to see image

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    What David has almost solely done for these sets through his promotion for their marketability and collectibility is really fun to watch. Congrats David. You were the market maker for these things.
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    660 for that andre is really high. I think the buyer will be disappointed once he gets the card in hand. I initially had that card on my want list but after seeing the hogan and flair cards in person I wasn't a fan. The paper thin cards bend with the inner sleeve in the slab making them lose eye appeal imo. The 1973 cards might look a little better since they are much smaller though. Either way its interesting to see these prices.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    Mike thanks for the kind words.

Your Hogan PSA 8 auto is looking very good right about now. image

Dpeck let us all know for a while now how awesome and rare this set is. I'm glad I have been getting some of these for the last few years. I bet there will be a few new registry sets started soon. Thanks again David!

-Mark

• << <i>What David has almost solely done for these sets through his promotion for their marketability and collectibility is really fun to watch. Congrats David. You were the market maker for these things. >>

1,000% agree. David and I got to know each other through these cards.

Way to go, you are sitting on a serious gold mine with your #1 graded set, and the other sets you have.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭✭
    DPeck has definitely raised awareness and thus helped create the market for these cards. If he weren't a collector I would say sell while the selling is good but the current appreciation in the cards appears to be an ancillary benefit for him.

As for the silliness around discounting sniping, I have sniped plenty of "rare" cards and it has worked great for me not sure why you have not been able to benefit from it. The only time sniping doesn't work is if the seller decides to end their auction early because they do not perceive enough interest in the auction. Simply because someone on this thread had a low snipe for the card is meaningless in the snipe or not to snipe discussion.
    Cheers,

Robb
    No truth to the rumor that DPeck is being paid by me to market my wrestling cards..... :-) I thought it was a neat set years ago but DPeck really brought not only attention to these cards but also his pocketbook.
    Yes King I definitely brought my pocket book. I have a decent amount of money tied up in my collection for sure.

At this point I have 632 PSA graded cards and 1,620 raw cards and one BGS 9 Rick Martel. I am keeping the Martel as it is a true rarity.

I am going to go through my raw cards and pick out some more to send in. I still have some that are worthy of grading.

At the present time I have some at PSA that I am waiting on and there are a few in there that if they grade well will be nice scores.

I have a few more that I want to grade.... If I get around to it I'd like to send them in early this week or before the month is over...... There should be a few more to complete my sets and a few for resale...
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    If anyone wants a mint 1983 Wrestling All Stars Factory Sealed Complete Set for $499 delivered, PM or email me.
    I have decided to let one go, and would rather have it go to a board member.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    These two items are offered by Brian from Wrestleprints. He is the guy who bought the left over inventory from Norman Keitzer who was the man that made the cards.

He is a great guy to deal with and a true fan of the sport.

To answer your question yes there are new bidders I do not recognize on a regular basis. There are a few that are bidding to win and are extremely stiff competition.

As I said from day one, there is not a large supply of nice cards and the buyers know that and are responding accordingly.

• Smart of wrestleprints to slowly release sealed sets into market.
    not sure how many he has.....