Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A, Series B and 1983 Wreslting All Stars Sealed Sets hit EBAY

The last sealed set of 1982 Series A was sold in December of 2010 and went for $1,461.

With the current wave of demand there is no telling what these go for.

I will not be going after these in a big way as the prices will move out of the range of my budget for these at this time.

There will be some huge numbers for certain is my belief.

Here are the links.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B

1983 Wrestling All Stars

Comments

• Options
    Well, I don't anticipate winning, but I still got a bid in.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    It looks like they have a complete 1982 A set they are selling individually as well.

Do you think the seller understands what these are and what the market is right now? 24 feedback and no attempt whatsoever to hype them in the descriptions says no to me.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went through the feedback and saw some old AWA programs that were sold. These cards originated out of Minn where the AWA was the wrestling promotion. It is very possible this is the original owner.

It is hard to tell if they know what they have. In the title it states very rare but everyone's definition of rare is different.

Not everyone is the wrestling card market uses as much puffery as I do in their descriptions. image

• Options
    It's funny the only reason I know what puffery is because of a TV commercial.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck, I have a quick question for you. Do you know if PSA would grade these sealed sets as I would think they could use the same holders they use for the 1970 through 1972 Baseball jumbo cello packs which had 33 cards in them? As an unopened pack guy, I think that would be cool and you could finally see Andre in a PSA 10 holder. image

BTW, I like puffery. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting these, D! Which of the three sets is the most desirable?

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    CPAMike,

When I first got my sealed set in April of 2010 I called and asked and they had no idea what I was talking about. I would think at this point that might be possible. I had planned to do that and since the customer service rep had no clue what I was talking about I opened the set. I am glad I did.

The 1982 A is by far the most desirable. It has the Andre, Hogan, Flair and many other top headliners.

The 1982 B would second and the 1983 third.

You can find sealed 83 sets pop up from time to time but you never see 82A and 82B.

These are extremely rare.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I first got my sealed set in April of 2010 I called and asked and they had no idea what I was talking about. I would think at this point that might be possible. I had planned to do that and since the customer service rep had no clue what I was talking about I opened the set. I am glad I did. >>

If you ever get another sealed set, I would call Steve Hart directly as he may be able to get them to holder those sets as I would think he would be the one to authenticate it. I think it would be cool to have the first one ever put in a PSA holder. If I ever do spot any of these sealed sets, I'll let you know.

Looking forward to watching these auctions. Thanks for the links.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    The 1982 A is already past $500.

This is going to go for a lot of money.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Over $700 and counting...........holy cow
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I have been thinking of listing my sets for a while now. hmmmmmm...
    The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound...That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

-t206
    -e90-1
    -e95
    -m116
  • Options
    If $800 in the first eight hours of the auction does not bring out more sets, I am not sure what will.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I'm pondering winning with a snipe
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    what's the confidence level that this has never been tampered with? Resealers abound on eBay.

• Options
    I think I know the seller to the auction through other wrestling avenues and he is legit. Great guy actually.... I would bid with confidence with him............
  • Options
    I have opened these before and these are the real deal.

The problem with the sealed sets is after 30 years that pressure on the corners can take its toll. On the flip side if it has not you have a real shot at Gem Mint cards if centering is not off.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Yikes! These cards are on fire!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The problem with the sealed sets is after 30 years that pressure on the corners can take its toll. On the flip side if it has not you have a real shot at Gem Mint cards if centering is not off. >>

Sounds like every other cello pack image
  • Options
    You are probably right. The problem is these in a cello pack are expensive. Very expensive.
  • Options

<< <i>You are probably right. The problem is these in a cello pack are expensive. Very expensive. >>

I see that. Cool to see that they have such a following. I remember watching the AWA back in the mid 70's on local tv in Milwaukee. It was on Saturday evenings and then again Sunday mornings. WVTV channel 18. I liked it as a kid but never kept up with it as I got older.
  • Options
    This set was made in Minn. so there are a lot of AWA stars in the sets.

When these were released Hogan starting blowing up in the AWA.

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple sealed sets of 1983 and I am thinking of trying to get PSA to slab them for me.
    Who should I call at PSA or is Steve Hart really the way to go?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I think you should email Joe and see what he says. They are always looking to expand their items graded. These come just like a cello pack so grading them would make since.

Joe is very responsive when you email him.

Good luck.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>When I first got my sealed set in April of 2010 I called and asked and they had no idea what I was talking about. I would think at this point that might be possible. I had planned to do that and since the customer service rep had no clue what I was talking about I opened the set. I am glad I did. >>

If you ever get another sealed set, I would call Steve Hart directly as he may be able to get them to holder those sets as I would think he would be the one to authenticate it. I think it would be cool to have the first one ever put in a PSA holder. If I ever do spot any of these sealed sets, I'll let you know.

Looking forward to watching these auctions. Thanks for the links. >>

I agree. It definitely pays to be persistent with psa about getting items slabbed for the first time. It took a few emails for me to get them to slabbed the 78 and 81 handcut cards. I was able to flip them for about 15 times what bought them raw for. You should Have refused to d the smr interview until they agreed to slab the sealed set image
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Nice score you had Eagles on those paper cards. They looked great in the holder and I think both you and the buyer did well.

The other paper cards that have been slabbed are the 1973 set and one of the Andre's is on EBAY now.
  • Options
    They are assigning number grades to the 1973 paper cards now? Maybe that will make someone finally buy my magazine image
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    My eyesight is not great, but in the first picture, it appears that the top right corner might already be bent back. Might be a shadow. Picture 4 seems to be the view of the top of the cello, but I can't really tell much from that shot.

I had a few thoughts on whether or not the seller has any idea what these are worth. I think he certainly does, or he likely wouldn't have taken 6 pictures of the set.

Lastly- As to the "re-sealer" theory. My gut tells me that re-resealers usually don't donate 15% of proceeds to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. From my seat, he looks legit.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    Mcadams I agree with you that the seller seems legit and also knows what they have. Taking that many pictures of the packaging tells me that he realizes some of the pitfalls of these in a sealed pack and is doing his best to show minimal damage to the cards.

When I opened up my only 82A sealed I did not submit the Andre on the first submission. I signed up for PSA and had a voucher for 15 cards and chose what I felt were the best cards. Here is the sub.

Order #20395956 / Submission #4972367
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type
    1 1 16725763 GEM MINT 10 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 13 BRUNO SAMMARTINO Card
    2 1 16725764 GEM MINT 10 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 5 THE JUNKYARD DOG Card
    3 1 16725765 GEM MINT 10 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 31 KEN PATERA Card
    4 1 16725766 MINT 9 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 28 IVAN PUTSKI Card
    5 1 16725767 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 27 RIC FLAIR Card
    6 1 16725768 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 20 BRUISER BRODY Card
    7 1 16725769 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 2 HULK HOGAN Card
    8 1 16725770 MINT 9 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 4 TED DIBIASE Card
    9 1 16725771 MINT 9 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 6 DUSTY RHODES Card
    10 1 16725772 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 8 HARLEY RACE Card
    11 1 16725773 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 10 TERRY FUNK Card
    12 1 16725774 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 32 ERNIE LADD Card
    13 1 16725775 MINT 9 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 12 BOB BACKLUND Card
    14 1 16725776 GEM MINT 10 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 15 DON MURACO Card
    15 1 16725777 MINT 9 1982 WRESTLING ALL-STARS SERIES A 11 NICK BOCKWINKEL Card
    Total Items: 15
    Date Received: 4/17/2010
    Date Shipped: 4/22/2010
    Order Status: Shipped
  • Options
    That was some sub Dpeck!
  • Options
    that was an amazing sub I agree
  • Options
    I would not be shocked to see someone open it at that price. I have a feeling all three of these sets are going to go for a lot more then the current bid prices.

High grade cards have been selling for very strong prices and I would say there is a high likely hood that you would get a few for sure out of a sealed set.

The odds of pulling a Gem Mint Hogan are very low as his card is right behind Andre and the pressure from being so close to the cellophane is very tough on corners and the Hogan is notoriously off centered.

If you did you hit a home run at this price and much greater.

• Options
    I agree with Dpeck that ripping at this price is within reason......it will go much higher than this price at just under $1000.
  • Options
    I guess it will go for $1350. If you get back for example 15 PSA 9's, 4 PSA 10's, a PSA 6 Andre and a PSA 8 Hogan etc. it could cover the price easily.
  • Options
    I'll take the over on $1350..........
  • Options
    Yea I am staying away from these cello's as I am scared of corner damage. I think there are a few people trying to compete with Dpeck right now and is why the cards are so $$
  • Options
    I'll take the over on the 1350.00 too.

My guess is 1675.00
  • Options
    Judging from the lead that Dpeck has on everyone, I think it is crazy if anyone is attempting to compete with him....I do not think that the bar can be set much higher.....
  • Options
    It is not an issue of trying to compete. It is that others would like to have a nice set of these cards that are graded.

The sets are 36 cards which is not too hard to complete. It is a far cry from a 700+ cards set.

• Options
    Never underestimate the power of the registry....... :-)
  • Options
    The odds when you open a sealed set are actually not really that great. I have busted six sets and only one yielded high grade cards.

Thankfully it was the 82A. I opened an 82B and 83 set from Jerome who sold me the high grade sealed set and they all had hidden corner damage. It was no fault of his.

That being said the raw cards on EBAY right now are NM and below so if someone wants to gamble and try and find super high end raw cards this is the way to go. It will just cost you a lot of dough.

I think it is great that some very clean sealed sets surfaced. This is what keeps a market going. There is no real way to predict what is in there and only time will tell.

• Options
    Hey David- I know this set was already very popular before your article was written, but have you found some new players in the market since the article appeared about you and your set?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    1983 Ricky Morton BGS 9.5

Mcadams,

Yes there are a few new buyers that are willing to bid to win. Here is an example of a recent auction.

I paid $150 for my PSA 10 on the private market about six months ago and really figured I was paying complete top dollar. I try and buy them before they hit EBAY so I know I will win at whatever the agreed upon price is.

I am not certain if the article was the catalyst but prices have risen sharply since it was released.
  • Options
    Wow...

• Options
    I've got some nice prices with some of my high grade material. The market went up for sure!!!
  • Options
    Another 1983 set just popped up: eBay auction
  • Options
    Yes, the 1983 set is rather common sealed...I can see those continuing to pop up to a degree but the 1982 A and 1982 B are "special" when those pop up sealed. Should be fun to watch though as I was very surprised at the results of the auction last week.
  • Options
    The 82A just jumped, now bidding $1,025.

With how things have been going I think this easily blows through the old record of $1,461 at the close.

• Options

<< <i>The 82A just jumped, now bidding $1,025.

With how things have been going I think this easily blows through the old record of $1,461 at the close. >>

I think this would be a nice addition to my collection
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    Mike it would make a nice addition to anyone's collection.

If you go after it good luck.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I have a near complete set of the 1982 Series B (32 of 36) available for sale if anyone wants it. It is miissing the following 4 cards as I used those cards to get signed for my autographed set: (you should be able to pick up those 4 relatively cheap on ebay as they are not big names)

bobby heenan
    Mr. Wrestling II
    Buck Robley
    Mike George

These are the ones that I'm selling. Not selling individual cards, only as a lot of 32.

Buying US Presidential autographs