Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I've got a pretty strong feeling I'm going to find some silver today. (UPDATE!)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
How is it I'm so optimistic, you ask? Where does this hunch come from?

Well, today is a Dig Day. And by fluke coincidence, I just happened to get permission yesterday evening to hunt a site that has lots of potential. There have been coins dating back to the early 1600s found in the neighborhood. In fact, the site is across the street from a park that (according to local hearsay) produced a 1766 English gold guinea with an EB counterstamp on it. Yes, you heard that right. An Ephraim Brasher counterstamp. I know the coin was really found- I saw a picture of it, once. I just don't know if the story of it having come out of that particular park is true or not. It's definitely possible. I've seen other early coins dug out of that park by some of my friends.

Do I expect to find a gold coin, or one with an EB punchmark? Nah. That's the longest of longshots. But it's within the realm of distant possibility. The site stretches back in time for several centuries and was well trafficked throughout. Its heyday was in the late 19th century.

My optimistic but hopefully realistic goal for today is a piece of high grade Barber silver coinage. There's plenty of that in the ground around there.

Will I get "silvered"? Or will I get "skunked"? Time will tell.

My host told me a fella was out there yesterday for only about 20 minutes and he found an 1886 Indian cent.

I'm going to be there all day, as long as my back, arms, and legs can take it.

There will be an update on the MD forum at some point in the next few days, most likely. See the link in my temporary sigline.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Hope you hit the mother lode. image
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    go fer gold brother
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck today look forward to an update. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck to you LordM!!! Let us know what you found...hope its a pirates treasure trove. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    Pay particularly close attention to DOTD 2007-09-30 and DOTD 2007-12-07, because today I'll be within blocks of those two places. In fact, today's site is only about two or three doors down from where the DOTD 2007-09-30 finds came up.

Dig story index.

You'll note I'm wearing my lucky "Swami" avatar today.

That's a piece I dug about three blocks south of where I'll be going today.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Rob

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck LordM... I hope your great find of the day is #11... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll note I'm wearing my lucky "Swami" avatar today.

I found one of these in my Dad's yard.It's got a slice on it from getting hit by lawnmower,however.

You are going to find silver,LM.image

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

----> image <----

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TEASE!!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

----> image <---- >>

luv it...please tell or the "the all seeing eye"
    might be dug out somewhere you'd feel buddy
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Yep. Had to tease.

And sorry, I have to keep y'all hangin' for a few days, until the full writeup is done and the full movie is made. I'm new to the whole movie thing. This first one is more of a slide show than a movie, but I'm gradually learning the ropes.

Another reason I have to leave y'all hangin' for a little while is so goldrush00013 has time to dig Round 2.

I hope he does better than I did. My overall results today were a disappointment, and really not worthy of all the hype, I'm afraid.

BUT at least I know I can still trust my gut feelings and premonitions. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file