Home U.S. Coin Forum

I've got a pretty strong feeling I'm going to find some silver today. (UPDATE!)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
How is it I'm so optimistic, you ask? Where does this hunch come from?

Well, today is a Dig Day. And by fluke coincidence, I just happened to get permission yesterday evening to hunt a site that has lots of potential. There have been coins dating back to the early 1600s found in the neighborhood. In fact, the site is across the street from a park that (according to local hearsay) produced a 1766 English gold guinea with an EB counterstamp on it. Yes, you heard that right. An Ephraim Brasher counterstamp. I know the coin was really found- I saw a picture of it, once. I just don't know if the story of it having come out of that particular park is true or not. It's definitely possible. I've seen other early coins dug out of that park by some of my friends.

Do I expect to find a gold coin, or one with an EB punchmark? Nah. That's the longest of longshots. But it's within the realm of distant possibility. The site stretches back in time for several centuries and was well trafficked throughout. Its heyday was in the late 19th century.

My optimistic but hopefully realistic goal for today is a piece of high grade Barber silver coinage. There's plenty of that in the ground around there.

Will I get "silvered"? Or will I get "skunked"? Time will tell.

My host told me a fella was out there yesterday for only about 20 minutes and he found an 1886 Indian cent.

I'm going to be there all day, as long as my back, arms, and legs can take it.

There will be an update on the MD forum at some point in the next few days, most likely. See the link in my temporary sigline.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file