Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sarasota Herald Tribune: "Stolen coins worth $400,000 recovered with dealer's help"

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
Oh sure, nothing like having a suitcase filled with $400k of gold coins in the house. image

Sarasota Herald Tribune

Stolen coins worth $400,000 recovered with dealer's help
STAFF REPORT

Published: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 at 4:29 p.m.

SARASOTA - A coin dealer helped police recover a suitcase holding $400,000 in stolen gold coins.

Justin Gerken, 21, and Jessica Striewski, 19, of Sarasota, are charged with stealing the coins from one of Striewski's neighbors in the Glen Oaks subdivision off Beneva Road.

Striewski's parents told police that she used to help the man with his computer.

The man's home was burglarized in the afternoon of Dec. 14. Stolen were the coins, a Waterford crystal collection worth $25,000 and a $5,000 collection of Ray Ban sunglasses.

That same day, Striewski pawned a gold coin from the collection, police say.

Detectives sent emails to all of the coin dealers and pawnshops in Sarasota to alert them about the large and valuable coin collection that had been stolen.

On Dec. 17, the staff at American Coin and Collectibles on Bee Road alerted detectives that Gerken and another man were at the store negotiating to sell the coins.

Gerken was at the store with Benjamin Hilliard, 22, also of Sarasota, who took a laptop to the shop and was looking up the value of the coins on the Internet as they negotiated, reports say.

Both Hilliard and Gerken fled from the shop as deputies arrived, reports say. Hilliard was arrested after jumping a fence into the backyard of a nearby house, the reports say.

Gerken got away, according to police, but was arrested along with Striewski on Dec. 22.

Gerken is charged with grand theft and dealing in stolen property; Striewski is charged with grand theft, dealing in stolen property and defrauding a pawn dealer; Hilliard is charged with dealing in stolen property and resisting arrest.

Link

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

From Bradenton Herald.....December 27, 2011

Property from $400,000 Sarasota burglary recovered, suspects Arrested

HERALD STAFF REPORT
SARASOTA -- Three suspects have been arrested in the burglary of a residence, where property valued at $400,000 was stolen, the Sarasota Police Department reported today.

The stolen property was also recovered. The victim reported the burglary of a residence in the 3700 block of Breezemont Drive in Sarasota on Dec. 14th, a police press release said. The burglary occurred during a one hour and 15 minute time frame, between 2:15 and 3:30 p.m. Items stolen included coins (gold, silver, and collectable) valued at $400,000. Detective Jack Carter and Detective Maria Llovio were assigned to investigate the burglary. Detective Llovio issued a notification to retailers about the stolen gold and collectable coins. American Coins and Collectables notified Detective Llovio that on December 15th two customers had attempted to sell a suitcase full of very valuable coins. The suspects were going to verify the value of the coins at another shop and then return to make the sale. Detective Llovio provided information to Sarasota County Deputies (the store is in the unincorporated portion of Sarasota County). On Dec. 17, two suspects returned to American Coin and Collectables with the same suitcase of valuable coins. Both suspects negotiated the sale of the coins. When the suspects became aware that law enforcement officers were responding the suspects fled out the rear door leaving the suitcase and the coins in the store. Sarasota County Deputies after a brief foot pursuit arrested Justin Gerken and Benjamin Hilliard. The victim of the burglary responded to the location and identified the recovered coins as items taken during the burglary. Justin Gerken, 21, and Benjamin Hilliard, 22, were arrested for dealing in stolen property. Hilliard was also charged with violation of probation reference a previous arrest for burglary, and resisting arrest without violence. The investigation continued and Detective Carter developed probable cause to arrest Justin Gerken and Jessica Striewski, 19. Both were arrested on Dec. 22. Gerken was charged with grand theft in excess of $100,000. Striewski was charged with grand theft $100,000 or more, dealing in stolen property, and fraud – false owner information on a pawn slip. The arrests were the result of the collaborative effort of officers from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office and the Sarasota Police Department.
Anyone with information concerning this crime is asked to contact Detective Carter at 941-954-7088.

imageimageimage

Bradenton Herald lnik

Comments

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought maybe it was an issue of a young person messed up in meth but from the look of the mugshots the girlfriend had a fried Twinkie addiction.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    lol florida.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 more criminal geniuses who will (hopefully) have a long time (at state expense) to ponder their acts.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad they were able to recover the coins from the thieves themselves instead of fitting another victim in the middle.

I hope they get to spend 10+ years in jail... but probably notimage
    The funny thing is the amount of these people that have Facebook pages. It's interesting to see their lives before it all went wrong.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Steal coins Dec. 14 in Sarasota.

Try to fence stolen coins Dec. 17 in Sarasota.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lol florida. >>

What's your point?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was wondering the same thing - I guess the thieves in his state are all geniuses....
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Glad they got the coins back. The twinkie queen will not get any prison time and the 2 guys will do about 6 months and then they can start over.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3 more criminal geniuses who will (hopefully) have a long time (at state expense) to ponder their acts. >>

Hardly.

They'll ponder what went wrong and try to figure out how to do it again without getting caught!

Oh yeah, they'll dump the girlfriend too!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Steal coins Dec. 14 in Sarasota.

Try to fence stolen coins Dec. 17 in Sarasota. >>

3 days cooling off period.....standard in any twinkie-induced crime spree.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Hearing about the possibility of a reduced sentence makes me ill.

Glad they were all arrested and the collector got his coins back.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>lol florida. >>

What's your point? >>

seems like everything bad happens in FL image

• << <i>
    seems like everything bad happens in FL image >>

Well the FUN show is in two weeks image... See you guys there!

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading her Facebook page is very interesting.

All three scumbags should get plenty of time in the slammer I hope.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • dorkbardorkbar Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    My, she's a handsome woman.

And the two genii helpers will be out in no time stealing more things from people who worked for them.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does FL. have a 3 strikes law?
  • determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The man's home was burglarized in the afternoon of Dec. 14. Stolen were the coins, a Waterford crystal collection worth $25,000 and a $5,000 collection of Ray Ban sunglasses. >>

A $5000 Ray Ban sunglasses collection? People will collect anything. But to each his own.

I'm just glad they caught the POSs.

That woman is 19 years old? She must have had a hard life.

I collect history in the form of coins.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Maybe if the Arizona Cardinals drafted her, we'd be going to the playoffs this year. On a serious note I'm glad for the return to the collector his coins, and hopefully all three of these losers will be sitting in a 6 x 9 cell for a few years.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-

• << <i>My, she's a handsome woman.

And the two genii helpers will be out in no time stealing more things from people who worked for them. >>

Those are not "helpers" in the traditional sense, she was zooming down the Wal-Mart cookie aisle on her rascal and they were inadvertently sucked into her gravitational field.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>she was zooming down the Wal-Mart cookie aisle on her rascal and they were inadvertently sucked into her gravitational field. >>

imageMAO.....that is hilarious... and likely true.....Cheers, RickO
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Twinkie Queen?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only are the criminals geniuses, I hope that collector had enough sense to move that stuff to an SDB...there's enough info in that article to find that house. image
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not only are the criminals geniuses, I hope that collector had enough sense to move that stuff to an SDB...there's enough info in that article to find that house. image >>

I'm surprised the girl didn't get rid of the witness, by eating him.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The man's home was burglarized in the afternoon of Dec. 14. Stolen were the coins, a Waterford crystal collection worth $25,000 and a $5,000 collection of Ray Ban sunglasses. >>

A $5000 Ray Ban sunglasses collection? People will collect anything. But to each his own.

That woman is 19 years old? She must have had a hard life. >>

The guy probably needs those sunglasses to look at his coins... image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does FL. have a 3 strikes law? >>

If not, they should. And, the first two strikes should be simply deciding Florida is a safe and wise place to live.

peacockcoins

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole country is soft on criminals, IMO. Plea bargains, limited cell space, cost of incarceration, and civil rights groups are turning us into a haven for repeat offenders. Even widely acclaimed sherriff Joe of Mariposa county (Phoenix), known for being tough on criminals, is now facing a series of lawsuits and investigations for being heavy-handed.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Justin Gerken, 21, and Jessica Striewski, 19, of Sarasota >>

NM

• << <i>

That woman is 19 years old? She must have had a hard life. >>

Have you seen the price of genuine Raybans lately ? 5k isnt a large collection really if some of them were vintage. I have something like 5 or 6 pairs of RB's from the 60's and 70's and the quality can't be compared to what is produced today. The one pair id like to have but eludes me are the yellow lens aviaters Rod Steiger wore in the heat of the night , ive seen them break $400 used at auction.
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The whole country is soft on criminals, IMO. Plea bargains, limited cell space, cost of incarceration, and civil rights groups are turning us into a haven for repeat offenders. Even widely acclaimed sherriff Joe of Mariposa county (Phoenix), known for being tough on criminals, is now facing a series of lawsuits and investigations for being heavy-handed. >>

Uh, it's Maricopa County.image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • A real criminal mastermindimage Nice taste in women too.......
    Justin's facebook page is good. He rants against the police and snitches.

Warning: Bad language and grammar ahead...

• << <i>The whole country is soft on criminals, IMO. Plea bargains, limited cell space, cost of incarceration, and civil rights groups are turning us into a haven for repeat offenders. >>

You have to be soft on real criminals when you spend so much time repeatedly jailing, releasing, and then re-arresting small time drug users again and again. Alcoholism is considered a disease, yet sick people addicted to chemicals far more addicting than alcohol are viewed as criminals and not as someone in need of serious treatment. I won't go on some long diatribe on the subject, but all one has to do is to look at the incarceration rates since Nixon launched the war on drugs at the start of the 70's to see what an abject failure that it has been (not to mention costly!):

Portugal just celebrated their 10th year since the decriminalization of drugs in their country and guess what they have to show for it? Lower crime, lower law enforcement/judicial costs, AND fewer users. Too bad so many in America refuse to evaluate facts image. Follow the links here if you want to learn more on the subject.
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of Florida hate in this thread. I can't think of many places I'd rather be living.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Ugh, from looking at Gerken's pics, he's a Steelers fan. Not sure if the burglary or that fact sickens me more. image
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • lol reminds me of that movie

the usual suspects lol

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theres a few winners for sure. i hope they do the full amount on jail time as well image

<< <i>theres a few winners for sure. i hope they do the full amount on jail time as well image >>

I like Justin the best.. he's my favorite. He railed against the police and swore he'd be back, showing no remorse on his Facebook page-- as if prosecutors aren't going to bring that up!
    We've got a little update on the Twinkie princess from her public facebook wall!

this waiting game f**g suckss,
    going to court at 1:30 with A*** A***** and then whooo knows.
    wish i could get a phone call with good news, but unfourtantley by the looks of it; nothing good happenedimage

Noone is ever on our side!

A**** A**** is the girlfriend of Justin Gerken, one of the alleged thieves.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>theres a few winners for sure. i hope they do the full amount on jail time as well image >>

I like Justin the best.. he's my favorite. He railed against the police and swore he'd be back, showing no remorse on his Facebook page-- as if prosecutors aren't going to bring that up! >>

brilliant!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Noone is ever on our side! >>

maximum allowed penalty under law.

please. this one is easy.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Sorry to notice, but does that gal even have a shirt on?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That woman is 19 years old? She must have had a hard life. >>

Which one is the woman?

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray Bans are worth money?

My daughter just bought me one pair and I complained that I have 5 pairs already from the 60's and early 70's.

how much do they cost now anyhow?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Appears their lawyer must be some underpaid intern in the Public Defenders office. Any decent lawyer would have told them to shut up!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

What I don't get is that the um, girl, is apparently free and walking around, bemoaning that one of her accomplices (Who had a list of priors) isn't "free" yet. Is stealing nearly half a million in gold a crime in Sarasota county or not!?
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the former Mississippi Gov will pardon them and let them work around his house.

<< <i>Sadly, the repeat offender (Ben) has a private FB. image >>

Friend him! image

• << <i>Ray Bans are worth money?

My daughter just bought me one pair and I complained that I have 5 pairs already from the 60's and early 70's.

how much do they cost now anyhow? >>

Without considering fakes a real pair of Ray Bans from this era made in Italy will set you back anywhere from $150-$300.
    A vintage pair from the 60's-70's made in the USA can fetch upwards of $300-$400 used if in good condition,no scratches etc. I watched the yellow lens aviaters sell for over $400 every time a pair comes to auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file