Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th anniversary silver sell off

123457»

Comments

• << <i>What are 2006 Sealed boxes of ASE sets selling for? After awhile nobody cares. >>

Right now sealed boxes of the 2006 sets seems to be commanding $450/$500ish a set for boxes of 4 or more. Single sets are probably closer to $600ish.

5 sets on eVilBay $2350
    5 sets for $2500

Just to be clear I don't plan on sitting on my hoard of sealed boxes for 10+ years, even though I plan on keeping a number of sets for decades to come. I honestly feel at some point in the next year or two (maybe even sooner) that we'll see prices escalate significantly and I intend to sell when it's clear the sets are starting to top-out. All of mine are FS eligible and I intend to cash in on what I believe will be insatiable demand for pcgs FS70 at some point in the near future. I may be wrong, but I've done my DD and have concluded that instead of spending $5000+ to grade my sets I would be better off loading up on more sets at these levels and then selling the sealed boxes down the line.

<< <i>You have nothing to lose by keeping an unopened box because you can always open it and sell the sets, but you can never do the opposite which is take an opened box and reseal it. >>

Exactly image
  • Someone once said to me" anything a man can do another man can undo". A sealed box could be resealed.
  • Packers88 brings up a good and valid scenario.............although as of this date I don't think I have read of any scams of this sort with all the sealed boxes sold so far on e-bay or other venues.............protection for the seller would be a copy of your mint invoice, a good photo of the shipping label from the mint and your resending postal receipt showing weights in the box you have sent. It would not benefit a seller to be cheap on sending these (a box inside of another box) would be the best bet rather than just throwing a label over the old.............someone pointed out earlier that they have their sets listed with a best offer option in order to screen potential buyer problems. That can also be helpful. For those that have an e-bay store the listing is .20 cents every 30 days.........so price them higher and wait for an offer.............in the mean time the BST is also a good place to list and it's free...........I wouldn't be short selling these as the 2nd wave is just starting...................IMO
  • Ok, I'm confused now, I thought December 7 or there abouts was the cut off at both ngc and pcgs for first stike or early release designations, but if you have a sealed box at anytime you can send it in and still get the first strike or early release designations?
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    packers...yes, as long as the TPGs stay in business...if the box is sealed you are good.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    He's better video tape him opening my box then...and show very clearly that it is still sealed before he starts...otherwise he bought a pig in a poke and he got poked. image

-Keith

• << <i>Someone once said to me" anything a man can do another man can undo". A sealed box could be resealed. >>

I challenge anyone who thinks they can reseal a box of five and put it past me to bring their creation to the FUN show next month and see if I can tell. I will buy you lunch and hand you a free ASE if I can't show you where you went wrong resealing the box. (PM me for those who are interested) I have been involved extensively in another hobby that deals with grading sealed box examples EVERY DAY and I can tell you first hand that faking/resealing a box it is a task that 99.9% of those reading this simply can't achieve (including me). It's MUCH more difficult than people realize especially once time has started to pass and the tape has started to dry and/or yellow. (I could honestly say a lot more on the subject, but just in case we have a few dishonest lurkers I think that's enough.)

Having said that though it should be pointed out that since people aren't grading sealed cases, than fraudsters wouldn't necessarily need to be 100% perfect to fool people who really know their stuff. All they would have to do is to do a good enough job so they could scam a regular Joe who is looking for a cheaper way to obtain 70 sets image. Having said all that though it should be noted that over 5 years later sealed 20th sets sell for more than raw sets. That's a fact that can't be disputed.

Edit -- I also wanted to add that I have printed mint confirmations and screen shots and attached them each of my sealed boxes. Some may think I'm foolish and that's fine, but I think I'll do okay image.
  • SpeedieSpeedie Posts: 104 ✭✭

<< <i>Ok, I'm confused now, I thought December 7 or there abouts was the cut off at both ngc and pcgs for first stike or early release designations, but if you have a sealed box at anytime you can send it in and still get the first strike or early release designations? >>

PCGS yes, NGC no.

NGC Link
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

<< <i>Packers88 brings up a good and valid scenario.............although as of this date I don't think I have read of any scams of this sort with all the sealed boxes sold so far on e-bay or other venues.............protection for the seller would be a copy of your mint invoice, a good photo of the shipping label from the mint and your resending postal receipt showing weights in the box you have sent. It would not benefit a seller to be cheap on sending these (a box inside of another box) would be the best bet rather than just throwing a label over the old.............someone pointed out earlier that they have their sets listed with a best offer option in order to screen potential buyer problems. That can also be helpful. For those that have an e-bay store the listing is .20 cents every 30 days.........so price them higher and wait for an offer.............in the mean time the BST is also a good place to list and it's free...........I wouldn't be short selling these as the 2nd wave is just starting...................IMO >>

The real scam going on, is buyers remorse, sold a 2011-P PR70 for $850.00 last wee, this week they are now going for about $600-$700

I got a case filed against me on ebay right now, buyer "There is a little indentation on the back of the case" "but if you
    hit the light just right it shows",

I never saw it, and he didnt at first either. so he files a claim, claiming a bunch of BS, before the claim I offered to exchange, but he want a refund. Ebay will probably decide in his favor as usual

I think there will be more and more of these.
  • Thanks speedie, but I think the advantage of having a sealed box with ngc would be the fact that they would still give you the 25th anniversary label on the 3 non-key eagles.

<< <i>Thanks speedie, but I think the advantage of having a sealed box with ngc would be the fact that they would still give you the 25th anniversary label on the 3 non-key eagles. >>

Same for PCGS + still first strike eligible

• Egger, sorry to hear that and until someone has been through a paypal dispute with an as.... ebayer trying to get a free lunch it is hard to understand. Yes, it is very unlikely you send someone a sealed box and they try scamming you, but if you are talking $6000 or $7000 and you've been through a frivulous paypal dispute before where you know the buyer is flat out lying to get a lunch on you then it is easier to relate on why you should be concerned in shipping someone a $7000 package with big bullseye on it that screams, "Chargeback me". Yes, most people are honest and don't engage in tactics like these, but when you start talking big bucks the concern and liklihood of something frivulous happening increases. If these get into the big bucks and suppose opened sets were selling for $1500 each and sealed boxes of 5 selling for $9000, I would rather open the sealed box up and take $1500 less as opposed to shipping someone a sealed box of 5 for $9000 and risking losing it all. I've heard enough of paypal horror stories to know that you don't want to be a seller in a paypal dispute. When ebay used to allow checks and wire transfers, then yes I would gladly sell a sealed box of 5, but not anymore, now it is paypal or the highway.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm feeling better and better about the $3600 I got 2 weeks ago, though I might be kicking myself in a year.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • I love pcgs and pcgs holders in general get more respect and higher premiums than ngc, but it just seems to me that getting 1 70 set through pcgs on a submission of 5 sets is expected and anything more might be a stretch. WIth ngc, it seems like 3 70 sets are expected and 4 or more might be a stretch. My issue is, do I go for more 70 sets through ngc without the early release distinction or do i go through pcgs and get the first strike distinction, but probably less 70 sets.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post
  • GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    I sold 7 sealed singles for $789 to $799 and my last one of the 8 went for $899. I saw a PCGS 69 set with the OGP sold for $780 this week. I'm glad I sold when I did. Made money and 2 69 sets to hold and see what happens. I think the money right now is in single 70 coins. People trying to complete 70 sets will pay a bit more right now. I sold a PR70 for $329 last week which was the only 70 I got out of my 2 submitted sets. I'm content to sit on my 2 "free" 69 sets for a while and be done with this.
    GMan
  • Heres a new one, bet someone will hit BIN without reading that its all bullion/no mm coins probably from a roll

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Silver-Eagle-Bullion-Set-25th-Anniversary-Packaging-5-coins-/300637230750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff60169e

<< <i>Someone once said to me" anything a man can do another man can undo". A sealed box could be resealed. >>

Saw one yesterday with tape on the side, there should be no tape there.
    How did that guy do who submitted the UPS resealed box?
  • Goldmart lowered their sell price for Mercanti sets to $1195 (from $1250)

Goldmart Mercanti set $1195
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me where you saw that pcgs would give FS to ANY sealed box? Last I heard it was 12/7
    My box was shipped on the 8th
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin

• << <i>Can someone tell me where you saw that pcgs would give FS to ANY sealed box? Last I heard it was 12/7
    My box was shipped on the 8th >>

Check out this link First Strike

<< <i>Can someone tell me where you saw that pcgs would give FS to ANY sealed box? Last I heard it was 12/7

You might luck out and the label was printed the day before

• << <i>Goldmart lowered their sell price for Mercanti sets to $1195 (from $1250)

Goldmart Mercanti set $1195 >>

AWESOME! I just bought one for $1244 delivered. That price may not be the exact bottom, but at some point soon I see the supply of pcgs 70 sets evaporating even though raw, ngc, and pcgs69 sets will be plentiful and possibly declining in price. I have a feeling I'm not the only one who is considering selling body parts to buy hand over fist if pcgs70 sets approach $1000 image.
  • I'm inimage
  • commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭
    Bought one of these for $1400 last week...tempted to buy another one though...$1200 is ridiculous.
    I mean, is this the bottom?

• you snooze, you lose.
    Within a minute of checking out the above goldmart link, where I saw them for $1195, I went back, and now they are $1250

• commacomma Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

<< <i>you snooze, you lose.
    Within a minute of checking out the above goldmart link, where I saw them for $1195, I went back, and now they are $1250 >>

I had one in my cart..and they wont honor the 1195. Oh well, it's a sign, I need to stop blowing all my money on these! haha
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>you snooze, you lose.
    Within a minute of checking out the above goldmart link, where I saw them for $1195, I went back, and now they are $1250 >>

I had one in my cart..and they wont honor the 1195. Oh well, it's a sign, I need to stop blowing all my money on these! haha >>

to funny I just had the exact same thing happen to me on the ms69 set.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • when did the $1195 first show up? i wonder if they did this as a quick test to test the "bottom", and then they got swamped with orders . . . bumped it back to $1250, and there you have it ladies & gentlemen . . . the bottom?

<< <i>when did the $1195 first show up? i wonder if they did this as a quick test to test the "bottom", and then they got swamped with orders . . . bumped it back to $1250, and there you have it ladies & gentlemen . . . the bottom? >>

Not! one day and one seller do not equal "the bottom"!!!
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭
    Long term set pricing:
    70: 950-1050
    69: 600-700
    Raw sealed: 550-650
    Raw opened: 450-550

Loves me some shiny!
  • gotta be close though, wouldn't ya think? I agree you can't declare "the bottom" based one day's results, but very curious as to why they would do this quick "dip" in price

I'm seeing the 2011-S selling on eBay for about $1000, so even $1250 a set seems like a good deal to me . . . now granted, you'd have to reholder to the Flag Label to get that $1000, but what, that's like $30 to reholder a 70?

• << <i>but very curious as to why they would do this quick "dip" in price >>

It's simply supply and demand. Sales probably slowed down at $1250 so they dropped the price. At least two other posters here grabbed one set and one person said he grabbed four so seeing that they immediately raised the price image.

<< <i>I'm seeing the 2011-S selling on eBay for about $1000, so even $1250 a set seems like a good deal to me . . . now granted, you'd have to reholder to the Flag Label to get that $1000, but what, that's like $30 to reholder a 70? >>

Be VERY careful here. Keep in mind that just like those first few 70 sets that cleared $3000 on eBay that the reason the flag labels command a significant premium is simply due to fact they're still 'new' to the market on some level. As more and more folks receive their pcgs sets back and continue to list them we'll assuredly see prices on the flag labels fall. I think in the long run the Mercanti sets will be the winners as they're going to have lower pop's so I wouldn't switch them to flag labels right now. Yes it's around $30 a coin, but make no mistake the premiums on the flag labels will fall (especially as more people learn you can have the tombstones and mercantis reholdered).

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone tell me where you saw that pcgs would give FS to ANY sealed box? Last I heard it was 12/7

Check out this link First Strike >>

That link seems to say 12/7 was indeed the cutoff date.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone once said to me" anything a man can do another man can undo". A sealed box could be resealed. >>

Saw one yesterday with tape on the side, there should be no tape there.
    How did that guy do who submitted the UPS resealed box? >>

That would be me and I would say "not too good" my grades are posted in the initial post on that thread now.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please post if you were able to pick up a graded 70 ngc or pcgs set for the same or less than you sold your sealed boxes for last month!

Silver under $30 and falling fast can really shake the tree.
  • AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    I don't know...I think it's more like:

In the Short Run (1 Year or less):

69s: $800.00
    70s: $1,100.00

Sealed Sets: $650.00
    Unsealed Sets: $550.00

In the Long Run (2 - 3 years):

69s: $1,200.00
    70s: $1,500.00

Sealed Sets: $800.00
    Unsealed Sets: $450.00
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file