Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th anniversary silver sell off

image People are dumping these sets just to make a quick buck but I can see this being another Godsend similar to the 2009 UHR.They were dumping the 2009 Gold UHR PCGS 1st Strike 69's on Ebay like hotcakes but if you go look at that coin now you're looking at $3,000 minimum.Remember, only 100,00 were minted(just like the 25th sae) so in 2 years you're looking at another sleeper,,Lesson is to not be the fool & dump for minimum as the real collectors buying these coins will be hoarding just like Iam
I resist & fight endlessly to avoid having to expose certain parts of myself to myself

Comments

• Some definite truth to that. This is a flipper's game at the moment....lots weak hands out there. Prices will continue down and eventually the coins will dry up as they find their way into more permanent homes. Personally, I think prices will swing back up sooner than two years time.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I like it, let them drop and get into stronger hands and reap the true rewards later. I have a few of my original order tucked away and just waiting on the side line for the right price to buy more.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of folks need to sell now to pay off those credit card bills which are now due.

Others (like myself) are just selling a couple of sets (regardless of the current market price) to cover the purchase price of all that I bought. That way I never have to worry about the prices of the sets I'm keeping because those were basically free to me.

And others are happy making a 100-150% profit at the current market and aren't willing to wait for the chance at a higher return.

I agree that the PCGS graded 70s will go up in the long run as they seem to be tough to get for some of the coins... at least lately they've been tough. The spread between a PCGS 70 and NGC 70 will increase significantly once folks start to see the junk NGC is putting in 70 slabs. I've seen NGC 70s in hand and on eBay with hits, speckels in the frost and scuffs. You rarely see that on a PCGS 70 and eventually the market will pick up on that more. You got people sending 25 coins to PCGS and being very happy getting 10/25 in 70 and many getting 4/25 or 5/25... some even less. But then you have NGC giving out 20/25 and even up to 24/25!!! Not hard to figure that one out.

• pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    There is a big difference between silver and gold. While it may turn out that way i would not bet the farm. There are easier ways to make $$
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Many of us are not as rich as some of you. You elect to hold for later rewards good for you, I agree they will go up but could take a couple years (like the 2009 UHR). I sold and bought something I wanted. I could have held but I don't collect boxes.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭
    While the original UHR mintage may have been 100K, weren't a lot of them unsold and melted in the end?

As far as needing to sell to pay of the credit card bill, in my mind, something like that makes me wonder what the rest of their financial picture is.

And no one knows if this will turn out like the 2006-W.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While the original UHR mintage may have been 100K, weren't a lot of them unsold and melted in the end?

As far as needing to sell to pay of the credit card bill, in my mind, something like that makes me wonder what the rest of their financial picture is.

And no one knows if this will turn out like the 2006-W. >>

Around 200k were minted... they were available for sale all year through December 31, 2009. The final number sold was around 115k and about 85k unsold coins were melted. Just going off memory so might want to double check for exact numbers.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭
    illini,

Looks like you nailed it. I found two sources that stated the final number was 115,178.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Gold does not get the nasty silver spots. I am not sure I want to wait a year to find out whether the silver spots will strike again or not.
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    The lesson that I have learned over the years is that you never go broke by taking a profit, and that relates to everything not just coins.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    These will fall just like the 2006 sets.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>The lesson that I have learned over the years is that you never go broke by taking a profit, and that relates to everything not just coins. >>

holy smokes, long time no see-hope all is well on your end*

Happy Holidays!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • drfishdrfish Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately some gold buffalos,eagles and spouses do spot , in my experience I've had three PCGS gold coins develop spots well after I made/purchased them.
  • Go look on Ebay and you'll see the 2006 sets are fetching a higher price then the 5 coin 2011 25th anniversary sets
    I resist & fight endlessly to avoid having to expose certain parts of myself to myself
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These will fall just like the 2006 sets. >>

Raw, opened '06 sets still sell for about 3x issue . . . I'll gladly take $900ea for raw 25th sets ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Just be patient .

It may take a couple of months for everything to settle down.

Now is the time to buy not cry!
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    When people compare the 2009 1 oz. gold UHR to now they somehow always fail to mention that gold spot in March of 2009 was right around 900.00 and has nearly doubled since to over 1700.00 which is the primary factor in those coins sharp rise from 2009 to now IMO.

• callawayc7callawayc7 Posts: 303 ✭✭✭

Currently, 3x issue price and the 2006 set is a failure???image
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The lesson that I have learned over the years is that you never go broke by taking a profit, and that relates to everything not just coins. >>

holy smokes, long time no see-hope all is well on your end*

Happy Holidays! >>

Happy Holidays.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Also worth mentioning that Silver spot was average around $12 an oz in 2006 / around 37% of present.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. This is a more valid comparison while comparing the 25th anniversary set to the UHR Saint is an apples to oranges comparison.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• forget the spot price at the time as the 2009 1 oz. gold UHR is 1 of a kind(115,000 minted) and the smart collectors picked them up & had then graded as EVERYONE thought it was too "expensive" at the time..How many people bought the 2010 or even the 2011 Silver eagle proofs when they 1st came?Not many yet now out of the blue they have the extra scratch to buy a 5 coin set?This set is a sleeping GIANT with a mintage of 100,00..You'll soon seeimage
  • I had 15 sets.Sold 5 sets on Ebay for $3,750 & shipped the other 10 straight to PCGS where I attained 69's & 70's and keeping them.I only sold the 5 sets to cover most of the costs but I ain't letting go of the rest!Yeah I made some short term money but I still have 10 sets that will only go up in value
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Many of us are not as rich as some of you. You elect to hold for later rewards good for you, I agree they will go up but could take a couple years (like the 2009 UHR). I sold and bought something I wanted. I could have held but I don't collect boxes. >>

true, Id love to just buy and hold everything I thought held 'potential', I just try to buy, not take a total loss and collect coins I feel are neat. probably 140% of my ASE proceeds were rolled into other collector coins image
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting for the "I'll pick up a set when the get to melt" comment.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices will continue to drop on ebay as flippers (1) get more sets back from grading and (2) panic as the competition tries to be lowest price on ebay. Prices will spiral downward until quick-buck flippers have left the market. Prices will then see upward trend (probably Feb. 2012) as market supply becomes limited. At this point, those that hold will do better on price later.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still waiting for the "I'll pick up a set when the get to melt" comment. >>

And I wonder how many thought that same thing when the UHR's started climbing. both out of the chute, and in the months that followed... then, at the end of the year (2009) the Mint DID melt them, and - for those who picked up a coin or two - the price continued to rise...

I had enough extra $$ to pick up a 2nd coin then, but I remember there were many who'd picked up 10-20 coins or more when it was only 1 per HH... assuming these were graded, and 2/3 were FS 70's (it was all the rage then), those still holding are no doubt giddy at the results. These same people picked up multiple Bo5's, no doubt, and it will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

I'm not on the fence about getting mine remaining sets graded, but I'm close enough to jump back over to the "other side"... still, I think I'll do fine keeping mine original and unopened, and as someone already noted, you can't go broke making a profit...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still waiting for the "I'll pick up a set when the get to melt" comment. >>

I am wishing for it to rain $100 bills all day long as well. Or a Victoria Secret model ask me out for a date. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When people compare the 2009 1 oz. gold UHR to now they somehow always fail to mention that gold spot in March of 2009 was right around 900.00 and has nearly doubled since to over 1700.00 which is the primary factor in those coins sharp rise from 2009 to now IMO. >>

True. The UHR was way over spot when mint started selling it for $1189.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • 2006's are hardly a failure.Go buy a set in 69's today and see what a bargain you getimage

• << <i>

Currently, 3x issue price and the 2006 set is a failure???image >>

Sellers could have gotten about $300 for the sets in December 2006. Five years with no return probably feels like a failure for those that have held all this time. The price went as high as $8000 for unopened boxes of ten ($800 per set). Of course, virtually no one sells at the top, and anyone thinking they can time a top is playing a low percentage game. No one knows where the top is going to be for the 2011 sets. Those that want to play the top picking game, take your best shot and be happy with that.

• icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    The wave is reversing...elevator going up now.
    I also believe PCGS Flag holders are stronger than Mercanti.
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Dollar Cost Average buying in times of strong selling and DCA selling in times of strong buying is a sound approach for the long-term. Sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference...you also must beware of trying to catch the falling knife. image
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    If you've got enough secured storage space for them, go for it! Unfortunately these won't fit in my top dresser drawer, or slide under the bed, so I'm all out of options for keeping them safe and secure! image
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO...

Comparing these to the UHR is not valid, as the UHR is a one-off coin while a person wanting an ASE has 25 years worth of product to chose from. Outside of the date, nothing is original in the set and 60% of the set is available in other forms - at much less cost. Additionally, the main reason prices have spiked on the UHR's is the mad hunt for a PL re-grade - even better if it is a First Strike 70. Take a look at the price difference between a FS and non-FS 70. Unless the TPG's are going to start recognizing and re-labeling the 'S' bullion coin as a different finish, the price spike the UHR's have seen probably won't be repeated.

Look back at the 1999 State sets. Those prices spiked initially as the Mint had a HH limit on those - and then the slow drop began. Some of the silver sets are still high, but how many of those sets are near their highs (or even issue price)? I do set a continued drop on these sets - but I just don't see the collector base (versus the flipper base) willing to shell out $2500 for a set...

edit for spelling...
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Outside of the date, nothing is original in the set and 60% of the set is available in other forms - at much less cost. >>

One of the coins has an "S" mintmark on it. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic pump and dump. The majority of speculators dip their toe in and get out. The secondary market has those who are deeply immersed in the hobby/business. This one will hold it's own like the 08/07 reverse... except as a set. It's hard to see them ever come below that $600-$750 level. That's probably the floor.

Any time is a good time to be in the hobby. But anytime we dump and try to come back in, it only gets more expensive. So take a dip and stick around. There's room for everyone to collect. Only a few gather, but it's a money driven, money makin' affair for some, and a losing venture for so many others.

I'm for the capitalist and a republic. And I approve of this message.
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The wave is reversing...elevator going up now.
    I also believe PCGS Flag holders are stronger than Mercanti. >>

Huh? NGC 70 just sold for $1376.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The wave is reversing...elevator going up now.

I believe this too. These labels are not known that well to the ave buyers and buyers may shy away compared to their FS Flag counter parts which are very recognizable. Also there are more flags and the population needs to be there to have a collector base long term. Sometimes something can be so rare that the market is to thin to support. Dealers I know could car less about the signatures, but like the flags!
  • johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭

Sealed sets are going for $500 or more per set on ebay. They definitely aren't worth what their peak was right now but I don't think people would complain about getting 5 times what they paid for something here.

• << <i>

Agree. This is a more valid comparison while comparing the 25th anniversary set to the UHR Saint is an apples to oranges comparison. >>

I hope these behave just like the 2006 set. That set peaked in OMP at 8x issue price and currently resides at 4x issue. That would put the numbers for this set at $2400 peak and $1200 long term. I like the looks of that.image
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Outside of the date, nothing is original in the set and 60% of the set is available in other forms - at much less cost. >>

One of the coins has an "S" mintmark on it. image >>

that is half of the original product... So lunless you collect labels, buy that and the RP and add it to your earlier collected 2011 ASE's and viola - you have all ASE's produced in 2011 AND several hundred left over...

• << <i>

<< <i>

One of the coins has an "S" mintmark on it. image >>

that is half of the original product... So lunless you collect labels, buy that and the RP and add it to your earlier collected 2011 ASE's and viola - you have all ASE's produced in 2011 AND several hundred left over... >>

It would probably depend on each collector. As for any collectors item, there are people who want to collect the 25th Anniversary Set issued by the mint with the OGP. The only way for you to be sure that it was from the mint is if you bought it straight from the mint or you buy a sealed box or you buy a graded coin with 25th anniversary label. Others, like what you said, can replace the other coins except for the S and RevProof and sell them as 25th anniversary set. It's hard to imagine but it can happen. Right now, compared to 2006, we have a lot of collectors that's why we see all these buyers paying for them and I don't think there is enough REAL set for everyone. Prices may be dropping for now but it's not going to last. People who bought this at $299/set are profiting no matter what they do. So a lot of those flippers are selling for a profit of a minimum of 100% so they see no reason to hold. Those buying from them at these prices know the value of this limited sets and are keeping them as an investment or to add to their collection. We won't see buyers of these sets at the current prices if people don't see a positive outlook in years to come.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    The major differences between the 2006 and the 2011 are:

--The economy was much better in 2006 (the 2011 will do better when the economy recovers)

--The 2011 is 40% of the mintage of the 2006 (only 3X the 1995-W, not 8.3X like the 2006 RP)

--The 2006 had one unique coin (RP). 2011 has two, the "W" will likely be the lowest minted uncirculated, and it is yet to be determined if the "bullion" coin will be the third 100K coin of the set--but it sure looks different to me!

• The price drop we are seeing is because of the number of items currently available and not because of a decrease in the number of buyers.
    During the first week of release or even the presale...
    High number of buyers and less items available = increase in price per item

Right now..
    Same number of buyers and high number of items available = drop in prices

But as we all know there are only 100,000 available so the high number of items available now will not last that long.
    Eventually we will see prices go up again.
  • AbsolutionAbsolution Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    So if I am collecting these coins should I go buy now or wait a little longer? =)
    Successful BST Transactions with: RMLTM79 (seller), Gerard (seller), bgman (buyer), Coinflip (buyer) | Positive Vendor Transactions/Service with: Stuppler & Company (seller)

• << <i><< The wave is reversing...elevator going up now.

I believe this too. These labels are not known that well to the ave buyers and buyers may shy away compared to their FS Flag counter parts which are very recognizable. Also there are more flags and the population needs to be there to have a collector base long term. Sometimes something can be so rare that the market is to thin to support. Dealers I know could car less about the signatures, but like the flags! >>

Personally, I'd be tempted to buy flags only because I don't like that there is a label that isn't accessible to the little guy.

Looks like prices generally held up OK tonight....sometimes Sundays can lead to beatdowns. It is the holiday season though.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Hi, Anyone want to guesstimate how many sets are broken up to sell the 2 keys............I noticed that some of the big sellers are doing that!.........That further dilutes the pool of full sets............

• << <i>So if I am collecting these coins should I go buy now or wait a little longer? =) >>

I would wait a while (maybe a week or so) because the flood of graded PCGS sets will be occurring soon. When that occurs, the price will find a bottom and you should be able to get what you want at a good price. I don't think prices will ever be as low as they will be during the flood period. Good luck to you!!
    Green neophyte

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file