Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Grandpa would have liked this Half Dollar !!

MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I have put together some nice sets of coins honoring my
Parents and Grandparents but the other day, I realized
that I never had a coin from my Great Grandfather's birth
year... and I made mention of this on another Thread.

Well, last night, [ and quite by accident ], I saw this coin
on Heritage's Internet only auction.

I referred to my Grandmother's Father as Little Grandpa...
he was barely 5'2" - and right off the boat from the Auld Sod,
Cork Ireland. He lived a long life - passing just shy of his 100th
birthday. [ I was 14 when he passed and I have a lot of fond
memories of him. ]

This one's for you, John J. O'Gorman................

Oh yeah, the grade...
Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    i love the look of that coin!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I like it too!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I like the coin to, nice!!! I'm a great grandfather to and I was born in 1951.Yel, we all started our families early.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin... I do believe he would be proud of it.... and truly honors his memory. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very image he is loving it.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking coin with a lot of history being that it was made during the first year of the Civil War.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭
    Nice! The only thing that could improve that is a Jameson's green bean sticker straight from Cork image

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a neat way to honor your Great Grandaddy. Looks like an "AU 64" to me. very nice.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice and your lucky I missed that auction.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and a great idea....image
  • Options
    Examples like that are the reason "AU58" is my favorite grade. That's a beauty!
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice coin... I do believe he would be proud of it.... and truly honors his memory. Cheers, RickO >>

+1

ABimage
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a great grandfather to and I was born in 1951. Yel, we all started our families early. >>

That's wild! We're the same age but I'm just a father. Our family went the other extreme. My grandfather was born Aug 6, 1855, my father July 19, 1904.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin and a great story, Mike.
    At the rate you are going, some Hibernia coinage probably isn't too far away image
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Slowly doing the same for me (56) dad (31) grandpa (80) and great gradpa (56).

• Options
    I still have the very circulated 1883-O silver dollar my grandpa gave me, and I've always looked for that date, even though it's as common as can be.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin and a great story, Mike.
    At the rate you are going, some Hibernia coinage probably isn't too far away image >>

Greg,

As a matter of fact, I picked up a 1723 Hibernia 1/2 P while I was in Chicago
    It's in a PCGS 45 holder. I thought I posted it's image a while ago... And I will
    again, once I get off the iPad. The images are on my lap top.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Very nice looking half and so good of you to remember your Great Grandfather here on the Forum.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    USMoneyloverUSMoneylover Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    You always post some great coins, thanks for sharing!
    Finest Coins and Relics
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A fine lookin' coin, sir. Don't let anybody tell you it's "too white" or anything like that. I like it a lot.

And here's a tip o' the hat to yer Gaelic Great-grand. image

(Hey, any excuse to repost my favorite coin I've ever sold off.)

Y'know, if you can find 'em, I heartily recommend the Dansco 3-album set which covers the entire Irish predecimal coin series (1928-69). It's a full type AND date set. Challenging, but not impossible. I completed 'em all except the ultra rare 1943 florin, which has an "optional" plug in the album slot. It would be a fun way to get in touch with your roots.

What?

Oh, yeah, OK.

I admit it. You saw right through my nefarious Darkside scheme, didn't you. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

LordM,

When some of the board members got together to raise funds for Cameron Keifer's widow,
    I bid on and won the folding album of Irish coins; mainly some later dated Pennys and a smattering
    of Half Penny's and Farthings.

While at the Baltimore convention, during the doldrums of Sunday afternoon, I discovered a table
    filled with foreign coins - and the dealer was more than happy to assist me. My $20 sale was his
    largest sale of the day - and I was within eye shot of the table I was assisting at ten feet away.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, yes. That's right. I was the underbidder on that lot.

Seriously, though, I recommend you upgrade and try to find the three-album Dansco Irish set. You'll have fun with it.

And if not, I'd possibly be interested in takin' on that folder you outbid me on, and givin' it another go myself, one day.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

Here's my Hibernia...

and here's a little something I bought ages ago when the price of gold was a 1/4 of what it is now...

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file