Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Everyones white whale ?

Just wondering what everyone's white whale is here ?

What's the 1 card you consistently check for on Ebay ?

Dave
Collector of anything and everything of the Dallas Cowboys

Comments

• Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    This BEAST of a CARD to complete a master set..................ugghhhh

It just showed up on ebay again...

1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, a white whale should be a card that doesn't show up for years at a time, maybe even just a rumor that it exists at all. Not a card that's readily available but you just have to have the balls to spend more money than you're comfortable with.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    A signed 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski. My wife and children should be nervous if one ever came up for sale image

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A signed 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski. My wife and children should be nervous if one ever came up for sale image

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Just sell off more presents that people got you for Christmas.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A signed 1935 National Chicle Bronko Nagurski. My wife and children should be nervous if one ever came up for sale image

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Just sell off more presents that people got you for Christmas. >>

Very mature comment.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Not that this card should be that big a deal, but a 1970 Topps Tony Perez base card in PSA 8 that is dead-centered or close to dead-centered. I've never seen one for sale.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    My white whale is being auctioned on eBay right now. I've never seen one for sale - and I'm pretty darn excited.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭
    1991 UPPER DECK RYAN HEROES NOLAN RYAN C/L STRIKE OUT KING AUTOGRAPHED

I have opened probably 50 boxes of 1991 Upper Deck and have never even pulled the 1991 UPPER DECK NOLAN RYAN HEROES AUTOGRAPHED non strike out king inscription!

Grabbed the picture from "The Bracken Family "Ryan Express" Master Set - The Number One Finest Set of All Time".

I do have 7 new boxes to go through during my time off around Christmas.
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭
    1975T Bill Sudakis
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>To me, a white whale should be a card that doesn't show up for years at a time, maybe even just a rumor that it exists at all. Not a card that's readily available but you just have to have the balls to spend more money than you're comfortable with. >>

Agree...and I just found one of mine that fits this description and probably overpaid even though I couldn't really afford it. I hadn't seen another for sale and only knew of a few that exist.

My true white whale right now is a signed 1971 Topps Wayne Maki card. He died in 1973. The one I just bought I'll post when it arrives. Same set.
  • Options
    My imaginary white whale would be an Emmitt/Payton/Grange triple auto,

Real white whale that I already have would be a 98 Manning Ticket RC AU

Sean
  • Options
    Hey guys,

Mine was up on ebay earlier this year in a Jsa/Bgs holder for 5k. Its def not a $5000 card. The seller wouldnt budge an inch and it never sold.

Its a 1992 Gulf Coast League signed Derek Jeter card. I'm desperatley searching for one.

2nd is a 1992 Classic C3 signed Derek Jeter. I had one about 6 years a go and sold it to my friend and I never seen another one again.

3rd is a 2001 Arizona Fall League Jose A Pujols signed card.

Best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options

<< <i>1991 UPPER DECK RYAN HEROES NOLAN RYAN C/L STRIKE OUT KING AUTOGRAPHED

I have opened probably 50 boxes of 1991 Upper Deck and have never even pulled the 1991 UPPER DECK NOLAN RYAN HEROES AUTOGRAPHED non strike out king inscription!

Grabbed the picture from "The Bracken Family "Ryan Express" Master Set - The Number One Finest Set of All Time".

I do have 7 new boxes to go through during my time off around Christmas. >>

You do realize the autos fall at about 1:277 boxes, right?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    A PSA 10 75 Mini Tommy Davis. No 9s even exist.

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A PSA 10 75 Mini Tommy Davis. No 9s even exist. >>

Matty, I'll slip over to Grote's place and rip all his 1975 Mini stash. He has to have one in there someplace.

I probably shouldn't have posted it first, huh.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    By all means rip away! Seriously, a Davis even in PSA 9 would probably pay for a couple boxes.
    A Claudell Washington in 9 is another whale-worthy mini.
    Heck, a POP 5 Fred Stanley in 9 sold a few months back for $1100.

76 Brett in 9+ is another very rare card for sale. One surfaced on the bay recently but I don't think it sold.

Can't remember the last truly gem 80 Henderson I saw for sale.

Schmidt RC in 10 is another. I guess with seminal cards like that, when they get sold to a private collector they rarely surface again.

Actually, come to think of it, as an unopened collector I remember at first just dreaming aloud with my cousin about a 75 cello with Brett and Yount on it even existing. That was a couple years ago. Then I heard one sold. Then I heard there was another. That became a true white whale in that it apparently existed but was who knows where. Then I was contacted by its owner and worked out a deal. So exciting when you actually get the white whale.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I think a 1976 Brett in a PSA 10 would be the ultimate card. Is one even in existence???
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Think there's like 7 nines and no tens if I recall correctly. I always search eBay for that one.

A 71 Munson in 10 would be pretty sick.
  • Options
    My current white whale is a 1972 Topps Football High Number George Blanda #348 PSA 9 ANYBODY???? Come on MAN!!!!
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    1955 Topps All-American Don Hutson PSA/DNA slabbed card
  • Options

<< <i>Think there's like 7 nines and no tens if I recall correctly. I always search eBay for that one.

A 71 Munson in 10 would be pretty sick. >>

Correct, no 10's of either card.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    1924 Maple Crispette #15 Sprague Cleghorn
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    LarryPLarryP Posts: 339 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You do realize the autos fall at about 1:277 boxes, right? >>

I guess I have 227 to go ... ha ha
    Upgrading: Nothing!

Selling: Everything!
    eBay Auctions
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see a 1968 topps #177 Nolan Ryan RC in a PSA 10. I know that this card does not currently exist, but if 1 did, perfectly centered, what would it bring???

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Just sell off more presents that people got you for Christmas. >>

Are you refering to Scott nam? Are you and Scott chummy?
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    1967 Topps Venezuelan #98 Damaso Blanco
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    a signed 1987 Topps FB Chris Washington. Played for a few years, had several cards, is alive, i've heard of others having this card signed, but i for the life of me can't track down a signed copy or a way to obtain one.

luke
    1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    my white whale is a 69 white letter mantle in psa 7, well centered... saw one as part of a set in one of the recent big boys auctions but...well..the set went for over 4k..a lil too rich for my blood...
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options

<< <i>1955 Topps All-American Don Hutson PSA/DNA slabbed card >>

I have one in my signed HOF rc set. I could probably help track one down for you if interested.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    1951 bowman FB Dub Jones PSA 6 or better.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Mine would have to be 1968 Mira arnold palmer. I have been checking ebay for about 4 years and have never seen one for sale. The funny thing is that I started looking for this card for my rookie collection before I knew about the 1965 bancroft card.... So the mira card isn't even his rookie but since I spent so much time looking for it I still want it.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>Mine would have to be 1968 Mira arnold palmer. I have been checking ebay for about 4 years and have never seen one for sale. >>

I've never seen one either! I hope you find it, just so I can get a glance at one.
    Jeff
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    For me I'd have to say a 1954 Ed Mathews Canadian (gray back) in any condition. Never seen one and I know there are 3 graded, and probably most of them are still in regular 54 Topps slabs.
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to see a 1968 topps #177 Nolan Ryan RC in a PSA 10. I know that this card does not currently exist, but if 1 did, perfectly centered, what would it bring???

Later, Paul. >>

An SGC 98 sold in the last few months for $26k or so....it would be interesting to see if it could cross over to a PSA 10 and literally double its value.

One of my white whales is a PSA 9 -- I just haven't seen any come up recently. A LOT of fakes, however!
    1957: PSA 8 +
    1974: PSA 8 +
    1975-1979: PSA 9+
  • Options
    Mine is on ebay, just can not afford it.

Gehrig Rookie

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Palmer
    http://galleryget.com/gallery/arnold%20palmer%20history >>

Thanks for posting that. It does exist!
    Jeff
  • Options
    A signed 1979 Topps Thurman Munson as well as a signed 1974 Topps Celerino Sanchez.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Mine isn't really a card but I'll say it anyway: a 1954 Roy Campanella Coca Cola cardboard advertisement. I saw one at the last National in Baltimore and passed on it because I didn't know it existed and thought it might be fake. The sad thing is that it was for sale for $600 and I actually had the money for it. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine isn't really a card but I'll say it anyway: a 1954 Roy Campanella Coca Cola cardboard advertisement. I saw one at the last National in Baltimore and passed on it because I didn't know it existed and thought it might be fake. The sad thing is that it was for sale for $600 and I actually had the money for it. image >>

My buddy always had the saying "where there is one there is two"

Good Luck

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine isn't really a card but I'll say it anyway: a 1954 Roy Campanella Coca Cola cardboard advertisement. I saw one at the last National in Baltimore and passed on it because I didn't know it existed and thought it might be fake. The sad thing is that it was for sale for $600 and I actually had the money for it. image >>

My buddy always had the quote "where there is one there is two"

Good Luck

IMF >>

I submitted it to topps and they serial #'d it 1/1 sorry.

Sean
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>My buddy always had the quote "where there is one there is two"

Good Luck

IMF >>

Your buddy was a Sith???
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    One of the 23 1986-87 Fleer MJ autogrpah rookies put into flere packs a few years ago.

Always wanted one......but never will.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

<< <i>My white whale is being auctioned on eBay right now. I've never seen one for sale - and I'm pretty darn excited. >>

Sorry - I had to share since it's completely relevant to this thread. When I originally posted this, my white whale was in an eBay auction. Only five of these have been graded by PSA - in fact, I didn't even want to mention the exact card for fear that I might be outbid by someone else who collects vintage boxing (there are a couple of others besides me). Anyways, I ended up winning the auction today for half of what my max snipe was set at - which is a victory unto itself. It might not seem like much to most of you - but this is a card I've been looking for for quite some time. Thanks for letting me share this victory.

1922 Felix Potin 3e Collection - Jack Dempsey

Jeff
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I bought it today and will not longer be checking eBay for the card....

I will scan when it arrives!!
  • Options

<< <i>I bought it today and will not longer be checking eBay for the card....

I will scan when it arrives!! >>

Congrats, Mike!
    Jeff
  • Options
    Mine is a Japanese card from 1958 that was supposed to depict Chico Barbon of the Hankyu Braves, however, somehow a picture of Jackie Robinson made it onto the card. Robinson had been to Japan the previous year, when major leaguers went over to play in All-star Exhibition games. Anyway, this is my white whale. I have only ever seen 1 sell in any auction and it was a long time ago.
    -Jason

• Options
    That is a cool card! I love hearing about everybody's White Whales.
    Jeff
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    1 - 1972 STP Fred Lorenzen kneeling by car
    2 - 1989 Winners Circle Lee Petty No NASCAR

I have never personally seen either of these cards.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Like I said, the Wayne Maki card became my new white whale after adding this today:

Plante died February 27, 1986 but lived many years after his retirement between Switzerland and Canada and while I'm sure there are a few of these out there, I hadn't ever seen one for sale until this popped up last week. So excited to add it to my set. Just seeing that the package had been delivered was exciting. Looks even better than the scan in person.