Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Everyones white whale ?

Comments

• Well, I would like this particular white whale to go along with my others that I have pictured below.

1955 Topps Hocus Focus - Jackie Robinson

to go along with:

• A 2005 Bowman Chrome Ryan Braun Auto....oh man...never mind.
  • A Roger Maris PSA 10 would be heaven for me - unfortunately I'm not sure one even exist - a PSA 8 would do and is extremely affordable. I will have this card before the end of next year.

• << <i>A Roger Maris PSA 10 would be heaven for me - unfortunately I'm not sure one even exist - a PSA 8 would do and is extremely affordable. I will have this card before the end of next year.

image >>

Great card!
  • My current white whale is an AFL official football in decent shape. The few AFL balls that have shown up were in very rough shape. I have been looking for one of these for years now and was hoping to find to find one at the National last summer to no avail.

Snorto~
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My current white whale is a 1972 Topps Football High Number George Blanda #348 PSA 9 ANYBODY???? Come on MAN!!!! >>

I had one but traded it to Carlos about 10 years ago when he was building a high grade PSA set, sorry

My white whale is a 1970 (legit) FB rak pack. Have a full wax box, a cello pack from each series and a first series vending box, have been looking for a rak FOREVER!

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Palmer
    http://galleryget.com/gallery/arnold%20palmer%20history >>

The link didn't seem to work. Do you own the card? If so do you mind turning on your pm so I could pester you until you decide to sell it to me
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

• << <i>Well, I would like this particular white whale to go along with my others that I have pictured below.

1955 Topps Hocus Focus - Jackie Robinson

to go along with:

image >>

I have somebody's White Whale! Of course if I didn't have it, it would be one of mine too.

-Jason

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    For the longest time mine was a rookie Jim Brown in PSA 8 condition, not really that rare of a card but finding one I really liked to spend 2 plus grand on was a little challenging.

I would guess that based on rarity I would put the 1959 Bazooka Jim Brown high on my list of White Whales. I remember seeing one of these cards back in the early eighties when I was a kid and you used to find dealers setup at flea-markets. I don't remember what they went for back then, but I wish I would have had the money to get one. There were a lot of cards I remember seeing back then that I wish I could have afforded, knowing what I know now!!!

I could easily add a few more Jimmy's to my list, specially some of the ones form Kahn's. I would love to finish the Jim Brown master set someday.

Scott
  • samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought it today and will not longer be checking eBay for the card....

I will scan when it arrives!! >>

This is not a rare card, but one that I have wanted to add to my collection for a while. There are some inherent problems with this card throughout the print run, but I gotta say that I am happy with this one. Now my Hank Aaron Basic set is complete!!

• Back when I was trying to collect one of every Alan Trammel card ever made, my White Whale was a 1997 Score Retail White Bordered Artist's Proof (the hobby version is MUCH easier to find). During my collecting years I only found one on Ebay. The card only booked for $8.00, but my $101.00 bid got outbid! Only one guy outbid me.

It's easier to find 1952 Mantles, T-206 Cobbs and Dimaggio Cut Sig cards than it is to find that stupid retail only card.
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought it today and will not longer be checking eBay for the card....

I will scan when it arrives!! >>

This is not a rare card, but one that I have wanted to add to my collection for a while. There are some inherent problems with this card throughout the print run, but I gotta say that I am happy with this one. Now my Hank Aaron Basic set is complete!!

image >>

Awesome card, Mike. That'd make a nice addition to any collection. Congrats!

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    I collect both Bart Starr and Gale Sayers master sets. A true white whale for me would be a 1968 American Oil panel with both Bart Starr and Gale Sayers.

Let me explain why it may never be found. The American Oil panels came with two sides, perforated in the center. There were about seven different cards that could be on the right side, and seven different cards on the left. A dollar amount was on each card, and if they matched, you won that amount.

Well, Bart Starr and Gale Sayers were the winning combination for $5. I'm not sure anyone kept the intact panel for a keepsake, when it was worth $5 in 1968.

Here are examples of the Starr and Sayers panels.

Another white whale for me is a 1968 Champion Corn Flakes Joe Namath. I know of one person who has seen one. Last card I need for this oddball set.
    My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"

• << <i>

I have somebody's White Whale! Of course if I didn't have it, it would be one of mine too.

-Jason

image >>

ahhh I know yours is the only one I've ever seen.

• redlegsredlegs Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still looking to find a nice example of a 1970 Topps Candy Lid Johnny Bench.
  • JustusJustus Posts: 179 ✭✭

<< <i>Another white whale for me is a 1968 Champion Corn Flakes Joe Namath. I know of one person who has seen one. Last card I need for this oddball set. >>

That's mine also.
    Successful transactions w/Comicgeek68, Statman, Scotgreb, Aupt, captainthreeputt, diamondman, Mickey71, slantycouch, Bkritz, BABERUTHJOEDIMAGGIO, craigger, Huggyface, and many others.
  • Could be a white whale, but for sure a whale of a pack!!

• celloscellos Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Wow, nice Mantle pack!!! That would be a white whale for any pack collector.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    An R423 in PSA 10. Almost all of them are in John Woody's collection, and I've never seen any of the others offered.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A signed 1979 Topps Thurman Munson as well as a signed 1974 Topps Celerino Sanchez. >>

I'm with ya on that one. (No, this isn't mine.)

I would also love to have a signed card of the late hockey player Don Ashby. He played in the late '70s with the Leafs but played the 1980-81 season for the our Wichita Wind. He died in a car crash in May of '81. I don't even know if a signed card of his exists. (He had a '77 Topps/OPC and a '78 Topps/OPC.)
  • I have a couple...

1985 USFL Miller Light Steve Young. An oversized regional card. I have seen 15-20 examples of the coach card from the set, but never the SY,

2009 Topps Unique Tony Gonzalez "O" 1/1 Lettermen.....only one I need to complete the nameplate.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got one of mine this week. I am super excited about it. I looked for 5 years. I only saw 2 others go up for sale, but could never afford one. I got it off of Huggins and Scott last week. It is a 1968 Topps 3D Curt Flood for my Cardinals team set collection. Picture below.

Also, another one is a 1955 Topps Hocus Focus Wally Moon. It was previously unknown until last year. It will cost a pretty penny if I ever even find one.

Two others that I will never, ever even see and never, ever be able to afford is a 1961 Topps Dice Game Stan Musial and a 1961 Topps Dice Game Bill White.

Here is my Flood.

Shane

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    If I could add any SF Hess wrestlers off my wantlist in 2012, then the year would be a success. None have been graded by PSA to date and they rarely come on ebay. I have yet to see some of these ever. Here is a SF Hess card that I do own. Anyone that finds one of these, please contact me!!! My sig line has my wantlist.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

<< <i>Mine would have to be 1968 Mira arnold palmer. I have been checking ebay for about 4 years and have never seen one for sale. The funny thing is that I started looking for this card for my rookie collection before I knew about the 1965 bancroft card.... So the mira card isn't even his rookie but since I spent so much time looking for it I still want it. >>

This is for Eagles33: 1968 Mira Arnold Palmer - it's not mine, but I came across another image of the card...

Jeff
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    1991 Desert Shield Bobby Cox in psa 10.
    1991 Desert Shield Mark Lemke in psa 10.
    1991 Desert Shield Dwayne Henry in psa 10.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    No white whale here, seems too final to me. Lots of cards on my want list, hope I never get them all, the chase is my thing.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I just picked up one of my white whales last week:

Now if I could only find a signed rookie card of Turk Edwards....

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    For me, it's a 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano (same last name, no relation). The nicest known example was coming up for auction on Legendary, but got sold before it made it.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.

<< <i>For me, it's a 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano (same last name, no relation). The nicest known example was coming up for auction on Legendary, but got sold before it made it.

image >>

This is also one of mine. It's the holy grail for boxing collectors.
    Jeff

• I'm looking for any cards from the 1973 Sherbrooke Pirates team set. Have never seen an example or even a scan.
    Collecting Matt Alexander, Manny Sanguillen, and Rennie Stennett - pm me with your oddball items for sale or trade!
  • perfectly centered 1966 topps tony perez. I saw a raw one at the national back in 1991 and the seller wanted $80.00 for it i thought he was crazy then. I guess i was the crazy one for not buying it. it would have been an easy 9
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Could be a white whale, but for sure a whale of a pack!!
    image >>

Jose, that is one hell of a cello pack.

Be honest when you mailed the 67 cello Mantle you were nervous the USPS would screw up delivery?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    My White Whale is a 1948 Leaf Football pack, but given that no one I know has ever seen one, I'll settle for a 1948 Leaf Football wrapper . . .
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    What is the story with the Graziano card? Is it's promo or something?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • I need 2 auto'ed cards to finish my PSA/DNA 1985 Topps Bears set.

Walter Payton (seen lots of fakes on ebay)
    Todd Bell (Kicking myself for not buying the one listed on ebay for a long time)
  • 2001 Topps Heritage Willie Mays autographed buyback autoproof.

I would post a scan but I have never seen the card.
  • if i had to pick one ...

1948 Leaf PSA Paige
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    I'm looking for this one a little better centered...

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Mine is the '52 Johnny Sain, because he is so damn hard to find centered without fading, and everytime I've spotted one (which hasn't been often), I get sniped in the last 30 secs on ebay.
  • rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    Well, thanks to this thread I have gotten one of my "White Whales" (albeit a little lighter in the wallet)

1968 Champion Corn Flakes Joe Namath, and in a PSA 7.5 even. It's the only one ever graded.

Happened to be surfing eBay and serendipitously found it, and bought it within about 10 minutes of being listed (when it's a white whale, I figured the best offer route might just be a pathway to regret). I think the listing seller saw this thread, because in the listing it stated "considered by some to be a 'white whale'". Kinda funny.

Anyway, happy to have it. Hope others find their items!

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The Graziano card ended up in Don Spence's collection. That would be a case of the whale swallowing the whaler. ;-)
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    1991 Pinnacle Promo Panels #21 Emmitt Smith/Bill Brooks/Bobby Hebert/Dennis Smith. I have only seen one on ebay but I lost the auction.

• << <i>

<< <i>Could be a white whale, but for sure a whale of a pack!!
    image >>

Jose, that is one hell of a cello pack.

Be honest when you mailed the 67 cello Mantle you were nervous the USPS would screw up delivery? >>

Actually Nathan when the sub took over two months to pop i did get just a little nervous
    i never had a sub to PSA of any kind reach even 2 months but the results made me happy.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    I have about 10 to 15 white whales but right now I would love to cross this of my list......
    I have seen one for sale on Ebay and blew it off because they wanted 10 bucks for it.
    They came on the case the sets came on before distributed to the Toy's R Us.. Have
    no idea if they did anyone else but would love to cross a mint example of this off the list.
    Hopefully Steve Hart is reading this and has one...
    90 Toy's R Us mini case card
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1963 Jones-Rich Dairy Jack Kemp. Even if one came up I couldn't and wouldn't buy it. It's ugly, it's a lid and it's in the registry. Sometimes PSA goes a little overboard on the obscure. I think there are a total of 2 in existence, both owned by the same person. No doubt who wanted it added to the master set.

On a more realistic level, a nicely centered PSA 5 Namath rookie for a reasonable price.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    As this was the white whale of a couple of us...

Oh my.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

1976 OPC #191 in PSA 9
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Found one of my white whales. Not one of my top 3....but definately up there somewhere. The card was a pop 1 till this last year and now it is a pop 5....which is nice as it allowed me to get it for 1/3 what I would have paid for it a year ago. This gives me the only 1985 RC year PSA 10 set....now if I could find a reasonably priced 1984 Fleer Update PSA 10.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

• << <i>As this was the white whale of a couple of us...

Oh my. >>

I wish so bad I was a hobby heavywieght.