Home U.S. Coin Forum

1909 SVDB

I am considering trying to acquire one of these for my father, who is a life long coin collector and has never wanted to spend the money for it.

Any tips anyone can offer me? I am a card collector over from the "other" boards.

Thanks!

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shop around and you will get feel for price vs grade vs pocket book. and NEVER buy a raw example, it has to be NGC or PCGS Certified as too many altered coins exist.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put a WTB on the Buy, Sell, Trade board. Put the amount you have to spend and
    see what gets offered. Do buy strictly in plastic is also my advise.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often nice EF45s come with appreciable detail and luster, and can be had for a nice price. Of course, you could pay about 50% more and get an ugly UNC. My advice: buy one that's easy on the eyes. Perhaps the best you can do is find an AU that's both pretty and priced competitively.
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Never buy raw and try sticking to only NGC or PCGS certified examples. If you're looking for a circulated example, look for a nice brown coin free of spots, corrosion, or anything else detracting. They're relatively easy to find so take your time and be patient in finding the best one you can for your budget.
  • garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    BST is a good idea. I agree buy certified only. There are also some good dealers to look at. For example, Harlan Berk's has a few '09 SVDB certified in varying grades. JJ Teaparty also has some to look at. These sites also have good photos.
  • RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I agree with all the above. I would even consider an ANACS coin if I were buying a circulated piece. It might be had a bit cheaper than a PCGS or NGC graded coin and they are pretty accurate on grades at that level. One thing to consider is that these are pricey even in low grades. The price jump from a Good to an EF or AU is not huge but the higher grade is so much nicer. Don't skimp on a low grade coin. Get an EF or better, depending on your budget.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m going to use Gray Sheet (dealer price) numbers here, but the relative amounts are instructive. You will probably end up paying a little more than these numbers.

If you are going to buy a “bare bones” example in Good condition, the rock bottom number is $625.00. As the others have said buy a piece that NGC or PCGS has certified. NEVER, NEVER buy a raw example of this coin because there are many counterfeits of this date and mint combination.

If you decide to step up and buy a better coin I’d consider a VF or better because the marginal costs don’t make a lot of sense in VG and Fine. Here are the Gray Sheet numbers up to AU.

VG $775.00
    Fine $850.00
    VF $925.00
    EF $1,100.00
    AU $1,300.00

If you decide to go for Mint State, MS-63 looks the best to me.

MS-60 $1,550.00
    MS-63 $1,650.00

Beyond that you are looking at close to $3,000 or more.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shop around and you will get feel for price vs grade vs pocket book. and NEVER buy a raw example, it has to be NGC or PCGS Certified as too many altered coins exist.

WS >>

sound advice image
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the price will ever come back to reallity. These coins are common and you can find dozens of them at any major show, and practically every dealer has at least one example in inventory. I know some will say it's in high demand and the demand drives the price. If it's in high demand, why are so many for sale all the time? Just a case where a coin was hyped for 100 years, and the hype has yet to wear off.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    I'll probably get a mint state example down the road but for now a PCGS-slabbed VF-30 is working for me.

A good VF example like this will provide a good amount of detail but no luster.

Expect to pay about $1000 for this level of quality...

Good luck!
  • You are a very thoughtful son.

I agree with the others. Take your time, buy a PCGS example, and get the best one you can afford. It's your dad, after all. image
    Let's try not to get upset.

<< <i>I wonder if the price will ever come back to reallity. These coins are common and you can find dozens of them at any major show, and practically every dealer has at least one example in inventory. I know some will say it's in high demand and the demand drives the price. If it's in high demand, why are so many for sale all the time? Just a case where a coin was hyped for 100 years, and the hype has yet to wear off.

JJ >>

While it is true that this is not a rare coin, it has a huge reputation. It is the marquee date, variety and mint mark combination for the Lincoln. So long as Lincoln cents are popular, this coin will be popular.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone for the advice!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with the others. Take your time, buy a PCGS example, and get the best one you can afford. It's your dad, after all. image >>

You have the opportunity to find one with exceptional eye appeal for the grade, whichever grade you wind up deciding on.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Watch what dealer you deal with because most of them will screw you over big time
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ >>

While it is true that this is not a rare coin, it has a huge reputation. It is the marquee date, variety and mint mark combination for the Lincoln. So long as Lincoln cents are popular, this coin will be popular. >>

I never bought one because there are probably as many fakes as there are real ones, and when I started collecting in the 60s, the only way you could tell the difference between a real and fake one were you knowledge of what diagnostics to look for, good lighting, and a bit of luck. This reminds me of Orville's story as a child, he was distressed because he was looking at an 09 S VDB, the 'S' fell off the coin, and he thought he was in trouble for something he did to the coin.

As Bill Jones wrote, they are not rare, but have always been popular, and because of such popularity, the coin has always gone for a strong premium (this was true when I began collecting in the 1960s and is true today). The 09 S IHC is a much more scarce coin, but I believe brings less $ because of it not as popular as its Wheat Backed Cousin.

Popular coins always bring a premium. Ie., look at MS 65 Flyers and 83 CC and 84 CC Morgans in PC 5. These coins aren't rare, but everyone wants them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Here's a 1909-s vdb PCGS VF-35 that sold on 9/9/11 on ebay for $780
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280737031085&category=39456

good luck on your hunt

• << <i>I wonder if the price will ever come back to reallity. >>

Since enough people are willing buyers at today's prices, I'd say you're looking at reality.
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy it in a PCGS slab and stay under MS65
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watch what dealer you deal with because most of them will screw you over big time >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

<< <i>

<< <i>Watch what dealer you deal with because most of them will screw you over big time >>

image >>

Yes, I agree LAME. image

There are some bad dealers in the coin business (and some bad collectors too). I won't name them here, and if you asked my advice privately at a show, I'd use words like "be careful!"

But to condemn everyone in the profession is just plain wrong. I've bought from and worked with some wonderful dealers over the years who have taught me things and helped me when they could. A statement like this is incorrect and unfair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file