Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit 1804 cent, DLRC kudos

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
This arrived yesterday. I learned from Conder that the reverse was from an 1803 S-260 die. Nice.

DLRC was very accommodating and quickly agreed to take it back, even though it had been cracked.

I know that sometimes folks here are divided about David Lawrence and their auctions, pictures, etc. But I figured they deserved a little good press for this one.
Lance.

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    How is the coin counterfeit?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That altered date is scarey good.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good that you were able to get a refund on that.

I'm not so sure the selling dealer would agree that overall this is good press.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>How is the coin counterfeit? >>

Here is a real reverse. Look at the ends of the wreath at 12k and note where the gap between them is, relative to the letters in STATES. There was only one die marriage for 1804.
    Lance.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not so sure the selling dealer would concur that this is good press. >>

Slabbed no big deal, but taking it back after it was cracked out they deserve some praise image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not so sure the selling dealer would concur that this is good press. >>

Slabbed no big deal, but taking it back after it was cracked out they deserve some praise image >>

I don't disagree. But if I were in the seller's shoes, I would have just passed on the public kudos.

If the coin were bought raw, should it have made any difference if the buyer discovered it was ng right away?
    Once cracked it was arguably still the responsibility of the selling dealer. Though if left slabbed the responsiblity would shift back to NGC.
    Sometimes we all forget that the TPG is just an opinion. You still have to look at the coin, especially key dates.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Lance, thank you for recognizing us on this. It was a no brainer for us to accept the coin back. Cracked out or not. Frankly, the coin had me fooled but I'm glad you figured out that it was not, so we could resolve it quickly.

John
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I learned something new today. Very cool info Lance, and glad DL is standup and stand behind.
  • Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that was a great job. Can you see any evidence of chasing the 4?
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭✭
    possible dumb question... any chance this is a new die variety?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>1 point for DLRC! >>

...and a BIG -1 for NGC!!!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>possible dumb question... any chance this is a new die variety? >>

That is what I was thinking. If there is no evidence of altered date.... Hmmmm

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to DLRC!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>possible dumb question... any chance this is a new die variety?

>>

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>possible dumb question... any chance this is a new die variety? >>

That is what I was thinking. If there is no evidence of altered date.... Hmmmm >>

Quick, cancel the refund! image
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    NGC will make it right, especially with the documentation on their boards. KUDOS to DLRC and all involved, its the way grading insurance is supposed to work. ------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, that was a great job. Can you see any evidence of chasing the 4? >>

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    4/3?
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    Every real example I have seen has a 4 with the base extending below and past the crossbar. But of course the giveaway was the reverse.
    Lance.

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NGC will make it right, especially with the documentation on their boards. KUDOS to DLRC and all involved, its the way grading insurance is supposed to work. ------BigE >>

Will they, since it's been cracked out?
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, any evidence as to how long ago it was faked? Would be cool if it was a 19th century fake that well done.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the obverse (other than the 4) match 1803 S-260?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! That is one heck of a forgery!

The classic test for genuine 1804 cents is that the "0" in the date should line up with the "O" in "OF" when you flip the on its horizontal axis. That does not apply 100% of the time, but it's a start.

I think this one should be shown to an early large cent expert to make sure that it’s not a new variety. Chances are against it, but it would not hurt to check. The alteration is good enough to make that review mandatory.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    not sure which impresses me more...discovering the fake or the way DLRC handled it....cudos all around
  • Options
    JBatDavidLawrenceJBatDavidLawrence Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! In our minds, there wasn't any other way to handle this situation.
    It's certainly an interesting piece and I have a feeling it will be on my desk for 6 months, once it arrives until we can find out something on it. image
    John Brush
    President of David Lawrence Rare Coins www.davidlawrence.com
    email: John@davidlawrence.com
    2022 ANA Dealer of the Year, Past Chair of NCBA (formerly ICTA), PNG Treasurer, Instructor at Witter Coin University, former Instructor/YN Chaperone ANA Summer Seminar, Coin World Most Influential, Curator of the D.L. Hansen Collection
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    A lot of old alteration work is very deceptive. I have seen alterations where nothing stands out as wrong even under a stereo
    microscope, but the punch styles and die marriages are unknown.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to DLRC.
    So, not to beat a dead horse, but I assume that this is the S-260 obverse with an altered date, correct? All I can say is that it would have fooled me.

Tom

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What should DLRC do with this coin? Would it be ethical for them to sell it to another dealer or collector with full disclosure? I know what I would do with it---donate it to the ANA for their counterfeit reference collection and for use as a training aid in their counterfeit detection courses.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>NGC will make it right, especially with the documentation on their boards. KUDOS to DLRC and all involved, its the way grading insurance is supposed to work. ------BigE >>

Will they, since it's been cracked out? >>

Yes!---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

NGC does not have to do anything because the coin was cracked. IMO had the coin been left in the holder of course however once cracked NGC should not do anything. If NGC got in the habbit of refunding money for coins that were cracked they would be out of buisness very very soon. I believe the OP and all parties involved but honestly images can be played with so NGC cannot base a refund on an image. Once cracked all bets are off.
  • Options

<< <i>

NGC does not have to do anything because the coin was cracked. IMO had the coin been left in the holder of course however once cracked NGC should not do anything. If NGC got in the habbit of refunding money for coins that were cracked they would be out of buisness very very soon. I believe the OP and all parties involved but honestly images can be played with so NGC cannot base a refund on an image. Once cracked all bets are off. >>

Ordinarily this would be correct, and the sensible position to take. But there are other factors to consider. E.g., A large, well respected dealer (DLRC) has detailed images of the coin in its original NGC holder; NGC keeps pictures of coins it grades too. It would not be very difficult to verify with certainty that this is the same coin.

Sure, NGC could put its foot down, recite policy, and refuse to do anything. But I don't see it happening. Those of us who run companies know that sometimes the right decision comes from good business instincts and common sense, not from the book. NGC has offered to reholder cracked out coins before, once for me, when the issue was clear and compelling. And I hope they show the same good sense and flexibility for DLRC in this case.
    Lance.
  • Options
    I have always found NGC and PCGS to be extremely honorable and responsive in situations like this. I don't think it will be an issue on our end to work with NGC.
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, not to beat a dead horse, but I assume that this is the S-260 obverse with an altered date, correct? All I can say is that it would have fooled me. >>

All we've been told is that it's an S-260 reverse. The obverse hasn't been confirmed as being S-260 yet.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The counterfeit is a work of art....how is something like that done so well???
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

NGC does not have to do anything because the coin was cracked. IMO had the coin been left in the holder of course however once cracked NGC should not do anything. If NGC got in the habbit of refunding money for coins that were cracked they would be out of buisness very very soon. I believe the OP and all parties involved but honestly images can be played with so NGC cannot base a refund on an image. Once cracked all bets are off. >>

Ordinarily this would be correct, and the sensible position to take. But there are other factors to consider. E.g., A large, well respected dealer (DLRC) has detailed images of the coin in its original NGC holder; NGC keeps pictures of coins it grades too. It would not be very difficult to verify with certainty that this is the same coin.

Sure, NGC could put its foot down, recite policy, and refuse to do anything. But I don't see it happening. Those of us who run companies know that sometimes the right decision comes from good business instincts and common sense, not from the book. NGC has offered to reholder cracked out coins before, once for me, when the issue was clear and compelling. And I hope they show the same good sense and flexibility for DLRC in this case.
    Lance. >>

I agree with your post and understand that there are several factors. I also run a buisness and if it were my coin I would issue a refund and do what was needed to make the situation right. On the other hand I have had nothing but bad experiences with ngc and have little to no faith in them.
  • Options

<< <i>

I agree with your post and understand that there are several factors. I also run a buisness and if it were my coin I would issue a refund and do what was needed to make the situation right. On the other hand I have had nothing but bad experiences with ngc and have little to no faith in them. >>

Have you ever considered that maybe it was not indicative of NGC's business but more a reflection on you and or the niche you deal in? If 99 out of 100 people say NGC is fair and able to be talked to, well..........
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So, not to beat a dead horse, but I assume that this is the S-260 obverse with an altered date, correct? All I can say is that it would have fooled me. >>

All we've been told is that it's an S-260 reverse. The obverse hasn't been confirmed as being S-260 yet. >>

I am on the road for a few days and can't look into this. It's a curious question, although I think the odds are very high that the obverse is from an S-260 marriage.

Any large cent collectors out there who can check the obverse picture in the OP to see if it matches an 1803 S-260?
    Lance.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Send it back to ngc.....could be a new.variety like someone said.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree with your post and understand that there are several factors. I also run a buisness and if it were my coin I would issue a refund and do what was needed to make the situation right. On the other hand I have had nothing but bad experiences with ngc and have little to no faith in them. >>

Have you ever considered that maybe it was not indicative of NGC's business but more a reflection on you and or the niche you deal in? If 99 out of 100 people say NGC is fair and able to be talked to, well.......... >>

A reflection on me? The niche I deal in ? You have no idea what type of coins I have sent to ngc so how could you make such a silly comment. You dont even have any idea what types of coins I send in for grading or crossover, or regrade. You dont even know the problems I have had with ngc. The more I think about your comment the more shocked I am, What an ignorant comment. 99 out of 100 people? did you just throw that out there for the heck of it? I can assure you that is not the case.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    My comment was more a commentary about disdain that a lot of tone heads have for the 3rd party graders and their reliance on them to legitimatize the coins in their specialized niche to prevent the assumption of AT and the synchronous devaluation of the assets void of the graders positive opinion. It wasn't as much a shot at you but I did say it and you are welcome and encouraged to interpret it as you wish.

As for the 99% of dealers and collectors I know hold NGC in very high regard. While they may prefer PCGS and the increased liquidity they bring or disagree with NGC standards from time to time that is different then an assault on the company's professionalism or integrity. Once again that comment was in line with the classic "consider the source".
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

All we've been told is that it's an S-260 reverse. The obverse hasn't been confirmed as being S-260 yet. >>

I am on the road for a few days and can't look into this. It's a curious question, although I think the odds are very high that the obverse is from an S-260 marriage.

Any large cent collectors out there who can check the obverse picture in the OP to see if it matches an 1803 S-260?
    Lance. >>

The OP coin appears to be the 1803 S-260 obv die 11 & rev die P.
    On this example the base of the I in LIBERTY is higher than the base of the L.
    The right lower serif of the T is shorter than the left. The T extends past the forelock.

The 8 in an 1804 cent leans right with the left side of the 8 under both the hair
    and the bust. In the 1803 S-260 the 8 is more upright and is further to the right
    under the bust.

It would help to show a better image of the date & LIBERTY, as well as the orientation
    of the zero to the O(F) upon your return if you could.
    It seems the coin may warrant some further study. It's an interesting piece.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options

<< <i>My comment was more a commentary about disdain that a lot of tone heads have for the 3rd party graders and their reliance on them to legitimatize the coins in their specialized niche to prevent the assumption of AT and the synchronous devaluation of the assets void of the graders positive opinion. It wasn't as much a shot at you but I did say it and you are welcome and encouraged to interpret it as you wish.

As for the 99% of dealers and collectors I know hold NGC in very high regard. While they may prefer PCGS and the increased liquidity they bring or disagree with NGC standards from time to time that is different then an assault on the company's professionalism or integrity. Once again that comment was in line with the classic "consider the source". >>

Crypto,

Thank you for the response. My issues with NGC have nothing to do with toned coins. I personally do not submit toned coins to any grading service, I prefer to purchase them already graded as to avoid any issues and debates over AT vrs NT. I will submit 50's double mint sets from time to time but even that is rare for me. My personal issues with NGC are in regards to copper, there so called guarantee on color (RB-RD-BN) and what they deem to be original. In my personal opinion I find too many coper coins that I find not to be original housed in ngc holders. I have had several issues with ngc over copper coins with PVC damage and I find the action they take to be laughable at best. Anyway not to drag this out to far, thatnks again for the well written response.

• Options
    Is the obverse real? Why would someone fake the reverse? Why would someone cut an 1804 in half ? makes no sense to me. Id say new variety, needs to be checked.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>Is the obverse real? Why would someone fake the reverse? Why would someone cut an 1804 in half ? makes no sense to me. Id say new variety, needs to be checked. >>

I am confused by your questions.

The coin is an 1803 with an altered date.

Only one die set was used for 1804, S-266. This coin has an 1803 S-260 reverse. The obverse, ignoring the alteration, matches the S-260 (obverse 12).
    Lance.
  • Options
    Thanks to this thread, I received an unsolicited call from NGC today asking me about this coin. They offered me full reimbursement at my cost on the coin. It was a pleasant conversation that took less then 2 minutes. The system works.

By the way, I studied the coin's date today carefully and I really couldn't see any signs of tooling but the wear on the coin was likely inflicted deliberately to hide such marks. If the coin does turn out to be a new, rare variety (a very long shot, unfortunately) DLRC will donate 100% of the proceeds we get to a charity of Mr. Keigwin's choosing.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable insight.

-John
    John Feigenbaum
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've purchased a few Buffs from DLRC and I can tell ya they are a 1st class outfit all the way, this is just another example. Thanks for sharing this as I learned something about this "counterfeit" I didn't know. Way to go Lance and DLRC....Joe
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to this thread, I received an unsolicited call from NGC today asking me about this coin. They offered me full reimbursement at my cost on the coin. It was a pleasant conversation that took less then 2 minutes. The system works.

By the way, I studied the coin's date today carefully and I really couldn't see any signs of tooling but the wear on the coin was likely inflicted deliberately to hide such marks. If the coin does turn out to be a new, rare variety (a very long shot, unfortunately) DLRC will donate 100% of the proceeds we get to a charity of Mr. Keigwin's choosing.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable insight.

-John >>

Wonderful, John...thanks for passing that along. I'm impressed all around.

Something like this happens to you and it's a sinking feeling. But when the best and the brightest get together and do the right thing it restores your faith in human goodness.

If only our political process worked so well.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file