Home U.S. Coin Forum

Woo Hoo! It's About Time!!

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    People hate dollar coins.

Never happen here. At least not right now.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People hate dollar coins.

Never happen here. At least not right now. >>

People do not HATE dollar coins anymore than they HATE quarters, dimes, nickels or pennies (cents).

It's change and its all spendable.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>People hate dollar coins. >>

They'll get over it.....

<< <i>

People do not HATE dollar coins anymore than they HATE quarters, dimes, nickels or pennies (cents).

It's change and its all spendable. >>

Yeppers, but the proposal is to replace something people do like (paper money) with more change.

Yes, I understand that removing the dollar bill is the ONLY way this takes off, but people are going to howl and cry about all of the other ways the government could be saving money and how this one is sooooo terrible and besides the government is just going to waste the money somewhere else. Point is -- people are going to cry about this and there will be no loud voices on the side of those wanting to do it (except maybe the metals lobby) and it's going to die on the vine. All because, at the root, people don't like dollar coins.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the "professional dancer" lobby will not like this
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the "professional dancer" lobby will not like this >>

Yes they will dollars don't buy anything anyway $100 do.

It's all good. Will just have to "make it hail".
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

Let's hope people hate wasting millions of dollars even more!
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Never going to pass
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about freaking time. Only 10+ years late....but I'll take it! ....now good luck on getting it passed!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate $1 bills.
    I like $1 coins.

I expect that, behind the scenes, the Federal Reserve will fight this.
    Why ? Because $1 bills and $1 coins are issued by two different (competing) entities.
    $1 bills are issued by the corporate-owned Federal Reserve Bank.
    $1 coins are issued by the US Treasury. The Federal Reserve is not going to willingly
    give up any of their "turf".

I use as many $1 coins as I can, just for the principle of the thing.
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They have to do something with all those Ike's! image
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i'm all for it

get rid of the $1bill, $2bill and penny

never looked at the issue like dcarr.

i had heard that the paper used comes from MA and was a Kennedy pet pig
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It must be a very cold, frigid establishment where patrons "make it hail" instead of "make it rain".

I wonder if the performers wear fur.

I also wonder whether [for liability reasons] the owner of the establishment should ban any patrons who "make it hail"; and promote a "make it snow" policy intead.

Hail stones can get to be fairly large in size and can hurt both persons and property when they fall to the ground. Snowflakes are much safer.

With respect to eliminating the dollar bill in favor of $1.00 coins, how has that worked out in Canada? I visited Canada 30 years ago and have a couple of Canadian $1.00 bills which are no longer produced. I visited again in 1994 with my wife and during our stay we did not observe anyone knashing their teeth complaining about Canadian $1.00 coins and the absence of Canadian dollar bills.

I say pass the law, stop producing the $1.00, $2.00 and $5.00 bills. Replace them with coins of the same face value. There will be initial squawking, but eventually it will die down as the general population loses interest.

<< <i>...i had heard that the paper used comes from MA and was a Kennedy pet pig >>

I've heard that too.
    But I'm thinking it is just a smokescreen story to mask the real motivation.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the dollar bill is eliminated in favor of the coin, while there will be gnashing of teeth in the short term, in the long run people will still spend more time and effort complaining about periodic changes in the Facebook UI.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

the locations can issue their own serial numbered "rewards certificates" and keep tabs on the serial numbers issued and out standing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>

It's all good. Will just have to "make it hail". >>

I love it. image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>The COINS Act! >>

Van Hollen from my state is on the super-committee. I was going to lobby him for this. I guess I can lobby them both now.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forward thinking establishments will issue $1 scrip that patrons can buy at face value and performers can redeem for cash (minus the house cut). Not only will it be worthless elsewhere, but those paranoid about having to hide their whereabouts will have to spend the evidence on premises.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all in favor of saving money......let's see....4 billion saved.......THAT WILL PAY FOR 2 DAYS OF WAR IN IRAQ.

That's right the war in IRAQ cost 2B a day.

Like I read somewhere.....Put the government in charge of the Sahara Desert and we'll be out of sand in a year!!!!!
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the dollar bill is eliminated in favor of the coin, while there will be gnashing of teeth in the short term, in the long run people will still spend more time and effort complaining about periodic changes in the Facebook UI. >>

I agree. Canada uses $1 & $2 coins.

Get rid of one cent coins, and $1 & $2 bills.

People will get over it. Saving tax dollars also.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

They were talking about this on the radio, and one caller said that some exotic dancing clubs have ATM machines that only dispense $2 bills.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this is something I really want to do, haul 70 dollar coins in my pants pocket to the grocery. I guess I could pull my belt in a couple more notches.....ouch! They will also need to make the $3, $7 and $15 coin as well to accompany the $1 coin to make any sense out of it.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

<< <i>

They were talking about this on the radio, and one caller said that some exotic dancing clubs have ATM machines that only dispense $2 bills. >>

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    We should start a letter writing campaign to all other congress members to get them to support it.

<< <i>Yes, this is something I really want to do, haul 70 dollar coins in my pants pocket to the grocery. I guess I could pull my belt in a couple more notches.....ouch! They will also need to make the $3, $7 and $15 coin as well to accompany the $1 coin to make any sense out of it. >>

what's wrong with a $50 and a $20?

• << <i>Yes, this is something I really want to do, haul 70 dollar coins in my pants pocket to the grocery. I guess I could pull my belt in a couple more notches.....ouch! They will also need to make the $3, $7 and $15 coin as well to accompany the $1 coin to make any sense out of it. >>

Or, you could just carry 5 one dollar coins and have the remaining $65 in different denominations of folding money...

The whole thing seems like a No-brainer Good Idea, to me.
  • UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about dropping the $1, $20, and $50 bills, and replace them with a $2 coin and a $25 bill. Probably time to start thinking about bring back the $500 bill too.
    I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
    Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.
    That the one thing I love about this country: Take a good idea and start modifying and mucking with it until nobody can agree on one damn thing!

Strippers? Seriously? Don't you folks think they have "exotic dancers" in Europe, Australia and Canada? image

Thats the other thing I love about this country, everybody wants change but nobody's willing to change because it'll put them out!

(Hmmmm. 70 one dollar bills? That;s certainly a lot of nighttime entertainment! image )

The name is LEE!
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Saving $184,000,000 each year by eliminating the paper one dollar bills sounds great. I hate one dollar bills anyway.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • It's both a cost-saving measure and supports the 'green initiative'. No reason this shouldn't garner bi-partisan support.

I do not see how we can eliminate the cent, though. That would be a MUCH bigger beast to adjust to.
  • 08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...i had heard that the paper used comes from MA and was a Kennedy pet pig >>

I've heard that too.
    But I'm thinking it is just a smokescreen story to mask the real motivation. >>

Yes it is made here in MA.

Not sure of the Kennedy connection.

Joe

Crane Currency

• << <i>

<< <i>

I've heard that too.
    But I'm thinking it is just a smokescreen story to mask the real motivation. >>

Yes it is made here in MA.

Not sure of the Kennedy connection.

Joe

Crane Currency >>

The company that is the supplier of the paper the Treasury Dep't uses to print currency is located in MA.
    The Congressman from that district and, allegedly, Teddy Kennedy killed any bill that would result in the company selling less paper (not bloody likely given the constant inflation of the currency with QE1, QE2 and now QE3).
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, this is something I really want to do, haul 70 dollar coins in my pants pocket to the grocery. I guess I could pull my belt in a couple more notches.....ouch! They will also need to make the $3, $7 and $15 coin as well to accompany the $1 coin to make any sense out of it. >>

Funny I usually just take that piece of plastic debit and rewards cards in my wallet to the store. Another thing to hate about dollar bills is that Flu season is right around the corner.

<< <i>It's both a cost-saving measure and supports the 'green initiative'. No reason this shouldn't garner bi-partisan support.

I do not see how we can eliminate the cent, though. That would be a MUCH bigger beast to adjust to. >>

I agree since eliminating the "cent" could be viewed as "costing" folks money instead of a minor "inconvenience".

That whole "rounding thing" would have to be implemented and folks just are not going to support something which could cost them 2c at the register.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

what's wrong with a $50 and a $20? >>

Don't spoil a good rant with logic........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now is as good a time as any. You start adding up all the little ways this country can save a buck, you'll be surprised how much it can total. I hate $1 bills, they take up too much room. I'm also a metal detectorist so I'd LOVE to see more $1 coins laying around.
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage to Freshman Congressman David Schweikert

LONG overdue

Now is as good a time as any. You start adding up all the little ways this country can save a buck, you'll be surprised how much it can total.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • I tried to go to his congressional page and give him a word of support. It made me put in my zip code before I could email him...then it told me I'm not in his district (presumably to say 'don't bother me').

Awesome idea. I love it!

-Keith
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the GAO report being discussed;

a letter from the Fed with some more grist for our mill.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    wow, this is gonna be good.
    figglehorn
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I understand that removing the dollar bill is the ONLY way this takes off, but people are going to howl and cry about all of the other ways the government could be saving money and how this one is sooooo terrible and besides the government is just going to waste the money somewhere else. Point is -- people are going to cry about this and there will be no loud voices on the side of those wanting to do it (except maybe the metals lobby) and it's going to die on the vine. All because, at the root, people don't like dollar coins. >>

Wah, wah, wah, what a nation of crybabies we are! Every other G8 nation has retired paper currency under a "5" unit and replaced them with coins. We're the final holdout.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

<< <i>They were talking about this on the radio, and one caller said that some exotic dancing clubs have ATM machines that only dispense $2 bills. >>

In other countries, they leave a tip jar at the edge of the stage. Seems to work out OK for them.

Oh, that's right, they don't get to cop that quick feel the same way.

<< <i>That whole "rounding thing" would have to be implemented and folks just are not going to support something which could cost them 2c at the register. >>

Seems to work OK everywhere else in the world. 2 cents ain't worth a plug nickel these days anyway.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strippers? Seriously? Don't you folks think they have "exotic dancers" in Europe, Australia and Canada?

While the idea is silly to begin with as it's been tried and tried before. I do like the idea of dropping $1 coins into the britches of strippers.........just how many could they hold anyway ........imageimage

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• << <i>That whole "rounding thing" would have to be implemented and folks just are not going to support something which could cost them 2c at the register. >>

If a 2 cent rounding was enough to concern someone, they could just as easily arrange their purchases so that the rounding is in their favor, could they not?

edited to add...

Fact #1: A dollar today has the purchasing power that a quarter did about 30 years ago.
    Fact #2: Dollar coins are not much larger than quarters.
    Fact #3: 30 years ago, nobody was complaining about having to carry around bulky quarters and demanding that 25 cent bills be printed.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of the $1 bill and the $2 dollar bill. Change the denomination of the Kennedy Half to $2 and keep making the small dollar coin. Then well have coins like our northern neighbors. It's simple as coin size and values are perceived. We can eliminate the cent while we're at it.

HE>I

<< <i>From the GAO report being discussed;

a letter from the Fed with some more grist for our mill.

image >>

I knew it. Proof that the Federal Reserve does not want to give up any of their turf.
    nice letter.

but the letter does not explain why setting seigniorage aside is part of a good analysis. Setting the seigniorage aside, they cost 30 cents per to make and distribute. Isn't that just plain more than each $1 bill??? But.... the government gets $1 for that coin, spends 30 cents making and distributing it. My question to the Fed eral Reserve is "why exclude seigniorage?"

I also would like to hear a cost-benefit analysis to the us economy.

After the informal poll of "how many singles you have in your pocket" and the speading use of "pay will cell phones," I question the impact on those who like $1 bills.

Reading between the lines, if they are talking "impact on the economy" perhaps the real issue is the fact that the banks would have to cough up $1 worth of "real money" for each $1 coin, whereas they only need to provide $1 worth of US Treasuries as collateral for receiving a $1 bill.

PS. What "real money" does the Treasury get for coin? Wire transfer of electronic funds?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file