Home U.S. Coin Forum

Woo Hoo! It's About Time!!

2»

Comments

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they mint a silver dollar coin, maybe small but nice.
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    lol fed.

'setting aside the profit, we find that this will cost money.'

• << <i>Strippers? Seriously? Don't you folks think they have "exotic dancers" in Europe, Australia and Canada?

While the idea is silly to begin with as it's been tried and tried before. I do like the idea of dropping $1 coins into the britches of strippers.........just how many could they hold anyway ........imageimage >>

Probably a couple of rolls I'm sure... image
  • fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>I do like the idea of dropping $1 coins into the britches of strippers.........just how many could they hold anyway ........imageimage >>

image with 2 slots, id guess a couple rolls.
    would be a good trick to see em picked up when standing on the edge.

you may have to wear safety glasses, when they are spinning around on a pole.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I would like to see it, my guess is it will not get out of committee.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. Strippers don't wear britches.

HE>I

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it will never happen. The paper company that produces our current rag has been doing it for years and is well protected by the political allies from I think one of the New England states? This same company also produces the stationary for the White House and other high end Government paper products. It is not the first time such legislation has been proposed. It will be AZ against whosever representing the district that paper company is in. It has nothing to do with savings and everything to do with politics. Perhaps one of our paper money collectors could chime in..they know about the company I am sure.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>People hate dollar coins. >>

They'll get over it..... >>

...i think it'll take forcing, but i agree, they'll get over it. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's both a cost-saving measure and supports the 'green initiative'. No reason this shouldn't garner bi-partisan support.

I do not see how we can eliminate the cent, though. That would be a MUCH bigger beast to adjust to. >>

...hmmm, so true. we don't hurt any trees when we mint coins. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, this is something I really want to do, haul 70 dollar coins in my pants pocket to the grocery. I guess I could pull my belt in a couple more notches.....ouch! They will also need to make the $3, $7 and $15 coin as well to accompany the $1 coin to make any sense out of it. >>

Do you currently take hundreds of quarters to the grocery store to pay for your purchases? Of course not. And you won't be hauling dozens of $1 and $2 coins either.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I am all for this bill.

While I also advocate other changes, let's not muck up an introduced bill with changes. Take it one step at a time.

Dollar notes for coins first and foremost.

Elimante the cent second, as worthless, too time consuming to deal with for its value, and costing over 1 cent to produce.

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And you won't be hauling dozens of $1 and $2 coins either. >>

I will admit I paid for my parking at Reagan Airport yesterday with dollar coins. The tab was $36. I gave the cashier two $25 rolls, and she gave me back $14 in paper.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    I got my first dollar coin in change today. A brand new Panamanian Balboa minted by the Canadian mint.image
    Becky
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like we need a poll on this subject...
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like we need a poll on this subject... >>

Why?

People are like electricity, they take the path of least resistance.

Offer anybody the coin or the bill and 100% of them will take the bill simply because thats the way it's always been.

Take away the choice, which has been done in numerous countries, and the coin will then circulate in normal everyday transactions and money will be saved. Folks may whine for a bit but they get used to it (as has also been proven in numerous countries).

It's as simple as that.

Of course, all the whiners, complainers and political pundits will whine, complain, and dream up some wild excuses as to how that action is proof positive that the US government is controlling your life and trying to screw you over but...........they'll whine, complain and make up stories anyway.

Might as well save some money.

Will the bill pass? It's really hard to tell but IMO it's a no brainer whose only real competition is the "political vote" getting machine.
    Of course, once that machine begins controlling the decisions of the elected representitives which will fuel the whiners, complainers and political pundits.

Personally, I'm elated that the bill was introduced as it shows that at least 1 person is using his head for something other than a hat rack.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>I do like the idea of dropping $1 coins into the britches of strippers.........just how many could they hold anyway ........imageimage >>

image with 2 slots, id guess a couple rolls.
    would be a good trick to see em picked up when standing on the edge. >>

Giving rise to the expression "Did you see the way she snatched up that tip?"

• << <i>Never going to pass >>

I'll swallow my knickers if that passes.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gives entirely new meaning to the term "cladding strip."
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    dollar coin read..
    figglehorn
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neil Cavuto just did a piece. Seems the Supermen (the Super Committee) are pushing for it. Neil laughed about it saying it's a drop in the bucket.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It may be a drop in the bucket, but it is a start.
    Becky
  • I'm all for saving $6 billlion. Plus I like coins better.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

<< <i>Neil Cavuto just did a piece. Seems the Supermen (the Super Committee) are pushing for it. Neil laughed about it saying it's a drop in the bucket. >>

Correct, but it's one drop that wasn't there before!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>From the GAO report being discussed;

a letter from the Fed with some more grist for our mill.

image >>

I like the above since it starts with "Setting seignorage aside" which to me, amounts to, lets forget the facts and just say that it'll cost the taxpayers money!

The name is LEE!
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    got a little over-excited

thought this was going to be about the USA banning all copy/reproductions for numismatics

fingers still crossed

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>People hate dollar coins.

Never happen here. At least not right now. >>

I hate $1 bills.
    I like $1 coins.

I expect that, behind the scenes, the Federal Reserve will fight this.
    Why ? Because $1 bills and $1 coins are issued by two different (competing) entities.
    $1 bills are issued by the corporate-owned Federal Reserve Bank.
    $1 coins are issued by the US Treasury. The Federal Reserve is not going to willingly
    give up any of their "turf".

I use as many $1 coins as I can, just for the principle of the thing. >>

Then lets have nothing but coins. image

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file