Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

US Mint Raises Proof Silver Eagles Almost 15%...

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
2011 Proof Silver Eagles are available again at the Mint (they took them down last week for repricing).

They were $59.95, and now they are $68.45. Since they have already sold 700k coins at $59.95, I am surprised they would raise the price on the rest (no one really knows how many they are going to make).

- Ian
Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Does not make sense since Silver has hardly budged. Expect the Anniversary sets to be in the $400-$430 range at these prices.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    I expect it has a lot to do with theoir current silver contracts and am not really surprised at the price increase.

This move practically "insures" that the 5 piece 25th Anniversary Set will be over $400.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    They're keeping it up because the tentative price for the 2011-W is going to be around ~$60. Naturally, the proof strike is going to cost more.

My guess on the anniversary set price is somewhere between $329-$399.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Just seems to be a lot of money for a newly minted silver round.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None for me (unless it looks like the mitages will be low, of course).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just seems to be a lot of money for a newly minted silver round.

image >>

Maybe in anticipation of hyper inflation, the U.S. Treasury is thinking ahead.
    ....or image
    causing it
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Just seems to be a lot of money for a newly minted silver round.

image >>

Maybe in anticipation of hyper inflation, the U.S. Treasury is thinking ahead.
    ....or image
    causing it >>

In terms of pricing, the gouging they hope to bestow on as many er, buyers is hyper!
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way the Mint was making money at $59.95.

Lets imagine spot is at $41. They have to strike the coin, package it, store it, market it - support countless staff and sell for $59.95.

I don't think they are making money at $68.45 either.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No way the Mint was making money at $59.95.

Lets imagine spot is at $41. They have to strike the coin, package it, store it, market it - support countless staff and sell for $59.95.

I don't think they are making money at $68.45 either.

- Ian >>

I know they're making money. It's what they do. Problem is : their cohorts in other sectors are spending it faster than the mint can make it.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Stinks for the people that just have to have one. Luckily, that's not me.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I stopped collecting these last year. Selling some of my older ASE Rolls also. Though in for the anniversary sets.
  • Options
    Call me cynical but I think they made this move so they could price the Anniversary set at $400+.

Also gives them room to price the W uncirculated and the 9/11 medals at 60 and maintain a "proof premium".
  • Options

Just got notification that the mint will be releasing the burnished uncirculated 20011-W Silver Eagle for a price of $60.45.

• Options

<< <i>They're keeping it up because the tentative price for the 2011-W is going to be around ~$60. Naturally, the proof strike is going to cost more.

My guess on the anniversary set price is somewhere between $329-$399. >>

I could see $399 at the very minimum based upon the 20th Anniversary Set Pricing and individual coin costs. Rmembering that the reverse Proof was never an individual Option so its price was unknown.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting...
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They're keeping it up because the tentative price for the 2011-W is going to be around ~$60. Naturally, the proof strike is going to cost more.

My guess on the anniversary set price is somewhere between $329-$399. >>

I could see $399 at the very minimum based upon the 20th Anniversary Set Pricing and individual coin costs. Rmembering that the reverse Proof was never an individual Option so its price was unknown.

image >>

You may be right, Lee. They will be able to get an especially nice premium from two special strikes (rev. proof and "S" mint). Add the nice packaging in too.

What was the issue price of the 2006 set?
  • Options
    I made money when I personally struck the first official Florida gold and silver rounds ( that the mint later seemed to steal the essence of the design and then ruin it ) and I sure didn't strike a gazillion of them. It's not that big a deal. But they don't run it like a business, they run it like another welfare/government office and so it doesn't surprise me if it's not profitable.

( and I was charging $2.00 over spot on the 1 oz silvers. I kept most of the golds ( 1/10 oz .999 ) and was charging a few bucks over spot.
  • Options
    I don't think we'd be seeing 5-coin ASE sets if they weren't making money on these. They've got a winner design on their hands and they're milking it for all its worth.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was the issue price of the 2006 set? >>

$100

I anticipate further price fluctuations down the road and still believe the 25th anniv. set will come in around $350+ and not below.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>What was the issue price of the 2006 set? >>

$100 and folks were squawking about the price since silver, at the time, was only $12 an ounce.

There were also quite a few that cancelled their orders once they found out that the 2006-W Burnished coin was being made available separately. The 2006-W Proof had already been available for months leaving only the Reverse Proof as the sole unique coin in the Anniversary Set.

For this 25th Anniversary Set, there will be at least 2 unique coins unless of course the 2011-S is made available as a separate opetion along with the 2011-W?

IMO, folks need to stay away from these since........well...whatever...... image

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    this is more kaka from the mint, price gouging in my opinion.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>this is more kaka from the mint, price gouging in my opinion. >>

If you don't like the price, you can always buy a classic, almost 1 oz silver Morgan or Peace $, for a similar price. It won't be a 66 or higher though. The same folks who cried: "gouging" when APMEX originally priced the pucks or the Mint priced their P versions, likely will also sing the same tune with these. Not to worry though, the "Forum Posse," will look out for my best interest. image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file