Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should, would, could this Merc deserve a FB designation?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some toning on the right side of the center bands...

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Too flat looking by my standards. The TPGs may differ.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Area of concern for me is the right side of the center band. Not seeing separation there.
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Unlikely. Middle bands just don't have IT!

• Options

<< <i>Area of concern for me is the right side of the center band. Not seeing separation there. >>

Here's another pic...

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The TPGs may differ. >>

That's why I'm asking if mine has a shot...

As even if the pics below of this FB designated example aren't the greatest they are showing the split in the upper and lower bands, wouldn't you think you'd see more of the FB details in the central band region image

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

My initial reaction was no, the 1st coin was almost a FB
    but the right side of the center band was difficult to see. Maybe
    in hand its there - its hard to say.

Based on the 2nd coin's image, I see that there should be no
    issue getting the 1st coin in a FB holder.

JMHO

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter how flat the bands are. There just has to be an unbroken line between the bands.

This brings me to my biggest complaint on "unbroken". The bands can be fully struck with a "ditch" between the bands you could sail a boat thru, BUT if it gets a hit coming down the shoot that bridges the bands.......NO BANDS!

That's wrong....just WRONG!!!!!!! The FB is all about strike and hits should NOT take away on that!!
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty nice looking 18-D there BS!
    FB ... ehhh ... maybe, although not a purist's example ... but maybe ... hard to tell, pretty close

Of course, that's a pretty dang good strike for an 18-D no matter what, and a super looking example image

The other one posted doesn't appear to be at all, but bands can be funny to photgraph

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it will make FB..... yes, the center band looks a bit weak on the right, but the split 'appears' to be unbroken. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First example it is hard to tell on the right hand side, mostly due to toning...maybe it is in hand but no one here would bet their house on it based on the photos provided.

In regards to what someone else said about them being flat...they can be pancake flat it does not matter! There just has to be a line that splits them 100%. The designation is Full Split Bands, not full round and fat bands.

In regards to the 62FB you posted...based on those photos I would say no way...but we would either need much larger photos or to see it in hand.
    The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard for me to tell from either of the posted photos, but I will definitively state that it appears it could go either way...

• Options
    Thanks everyone as I'm gonna send it in since the spread it too great not to try! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The TPGs may differ. >>

That's why I'm asking if mine has a shot...

As even if the pics below of this FB designated example aren't the greatest they are showing the split in the upper and lower bands, wouldn't you think you'd see more of the FB details in the central band region image

imageimage
    imageimage >>

That coin is not FB!
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Golfer72. How could they grade that?

I'm assuming the photo is accurate...maybe the brightness of the photo washed out the bands...I dunno...but it sure looks like it has NO break at all.

Here's one that is pretty close...far closer than this 18-D, IMO.

EDIT: here's a close up

jom
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice 19-S bands or no bands.image
  • Options

<< <i>No. >>

RR, if you are talking about the 19-S please explain your reasoning. I'm curious.

This example is the one reason I find the price premiums for FB Mercs absurd. This one is actually graded MS65 so just to be conservative let's say it's a 64. The price difference between a 64 and 64FB is just about 10X. Why would one pay that given this non-FB has got everything you could possibly want for 1/10th the money?

jom
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The bands are not there.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

<< <i>The bands are not there. >>

That depends what you mean by "there". The split is full across.

Frankly, I think it missed FB due to the hit on the right side lower band.

Thanks!

jom
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No. >>

RR, if you are talking about the 19-S please explain your reasoning. I'm curious.

This example is the one reason I find the price premiums for FB Mercs absurd. This one is actually graded MS65 so just to be conservative let's say it's a 64. The price difference between a 64 and 64FB is just about 10X. Why would one pay that given this non-FB has got everything you could possibly want for 1/10th the money?

jom >>

Totally agree. The only thing dumber than that is some of the large price differences between MS-69 and MS-70 moderns.
  • Options
    That is close, whether it is there or not only PCGS can decide on a PCGS sub.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file