Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1961 Bay of Pigs medal

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

This piece lay forgotten in a drawer until recently. It's dated April 17, 1961, in an obvious reference to the Bay of Pigs invasion. One side is in Spanish and the other in English. (NO HABRA MAS FIN QUE LA VICTORIA / THERE WILL BE NO END BUT VICTORY) Of course, the victory didn't go as planned- it went to the defenders instead of the invaders.

I had an inkling of what this was, but didn't start Googling until today. It is mentioned in the ANS database. (Note that they have the artist as "KFK", but the initials on the medal actually appear to say "KFR".

Now, for the part that shocked me... check out the BIN price on this eBay example! I about fell out of my chair when I saw that. (Geez- I was about to ask twelve bucks for this!) So, is it really worth what that eBay seller is asking? His looks a tiny bit nicer than mine, but not by much! He says the mintage was under 5,000. And that it's the only one he's seen.

I asked if he wanted to see another... for a price. image

(Hey, even if he offers me half of what he's askin' for his, I'm in clover, right?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece, thanks for posting.

Don't drill it.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The piece would interest me, but I have not idea what it is worth. The $300+ looks like all the money and then some. Usually modern political pieces don't bring very much, and you would have to be a bit of a history buff to know about this failed adventure. It was first big mistake of JFK’s presidency, and it taught him a valuable lesson. Don’t believe everything the military brass tells you.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>Don't drill it. >>

Not to worry. I only collect pre-drilled, pre-1900 holeys. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Eh. It was just seller exuberance, perhaps. After I contacted him, it turns out he had just sort of randomly found it in his collection, like I did mine.

He has since lowered his price from $326.00 down to $199.00.

I still think it's an intriguing piece, but perhaps not so exciting as I'd initially thought upon seeing the other auction. To me, it's just a modern CuNi medal, albeit one with a pretty significant and tragic history.

I doubt he'll get three figures on his. Maybe upper two figures? Who knows. I don't. What would be interesting is to see what it closed for in an auction. Which reminds me... I should have searched closed auctions...

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't drill it. >>

That made me laughimage

Thats a really cool piece Lord.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    The CIA was forced to declassify some of that Bay of Pigs material today:
    TOP SECRET CIA 'OFFICIAL HISTORY' OF THE BAY OF PIGS: REVELATIONS
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    they gave out medals for that? we got our butts kicked
  • Options
    If memory serves me correctly, these along with 1oz rounds were sold after 1961, perhaps 63-66 by the organization "Alpha 66" which were expatriot Cubans deternined to essentially liberate Cuba from Castro. I remember the 1 oz rounds being advertized in the numismatic press in 1966 at $5 each, a lofty premium which would have sent the metalheads on our boards into an absolute tizzy.image

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Timely post lordmarcovan!

The government released many documents this week that discuss among other things the CIA shooting at the freedom fighter's planes, and their use of napam. In today's papers!

Thanks for the post.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the Navy at that time... and we had lots of activity around Cuba. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I was born in Florida and my parents lived there in the few preceding years, when this medal was struck. (I didn't come along until '65). Dad talked about being in the Coast Guard during that era and what a scary time the Missile Crisis was in south Florida. I think he said he had just gotten out of the service less than a month before all that came to a peak, and was worried he would be pulled back in somehow.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone can price anything at any price-That doesn't mean that he will get it or that the item is worth the price or even a fraction of the price he is asking. Now it is on sale for $183.08.

Very cool piece though. I never saw one before. Bob
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Robinson: Way cool medal. I think if you look closely at it it says "no habra" not "no habrea." No habra is the third person sigular future of the verb haber which means "to be" in spanish. I like it . Can I have it o puedo tenerlo?
  • Options

<< <i>Way cool medal. I think if you look closely at it it says "no habra" not "no habrea." No habra is the third person sigular future of the verb haber which means "to be" in spanish. I like it . Can I have it o puedo tenerlo? >>

You're right. My eyes (and Spanish) are rusty. Los tiempos de los verbos(?- verb tense) was always my stumbling block there.

Si, tu puedes comprarlo, si quieres. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file