Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I won a coin on eBay, seller reports it stolen next day - rare 1872-CC $10 Liberty Gold Eagle

dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
eBay 1872-CC $10 Liberty Goled Eagle

I was just about to pay when I got this message via eBay:

>Hi specie-man,
>g048406 recently opened a cancel transaction case for an item you recently purchased:
>1872-CC $10 GOLD LIBERTY +++ CERTIFIED ANACS VF-30 +++.
>
>...
>
>Seller comment: Nearly all my coins, including this one, were stolen today 6/27/11.

I don't know what else the seller had listed before. But they still have three coins listed as of this moment.
So please be on the lookout for this one:

Comments

• Options
    deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    previous ebay sells. If seller used his address on packages....

I don't sell coins, but wow, if I ever decide to sell, I am going to make sure to use a po box address when shipping.
  • Options
    TinyTiny Posts: 2,598

If this one was stolen he lost a few others also.

Seller's Past 15 days of sales
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>previous ebay sells. If seller used his address on packages....

I don't sell coins, but wow, if I ever decide to sell, I am going to make sure to use a po box address when shipping. >>

Agreed! When I started selling coins on Ebay I opened a PO Box for this reason.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We do not know the details of this case... could have been a random home burglary - or many other things. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    WOW I NEVER thought about using a different return address on things I've sold. There should really be a stickied thread of suggestions and that one bolded, underlined, and in size 36 font.
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

I've never liked how public ebay is with buyer & seller histories. And thanks to Google Earth, they can even check out your 'hood. Although I've had a PO Box for years, as a buyer some sellers insist on shipping UPS or FedEx, which means I have to give out my street address. I must admit it never occurred to me that someone would use that info to break into my house. Always thought the "friend of a friend of a friend" would be the likely scenario. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive never had problems with that seller.
    Im going to guess the coin was actually stolen...
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>Ive never had problems with that seller.
    Im going to guess the coin was actually stolen... >>

Yes, I was wonderning about the legitimacy of the claim.
    Maybe it really was stolen.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe.
    Was the final sales price low enough that seller remorse and unwillingness to part with the coin could have kicked in?
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats bound to happen once and a while. what a shame to
  • Options
    JobessiJobessi Posts: 266 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe.
    Was the final sales price low enough that seller remorse and unwillingness to part with the coin could have kicked in? >>

I've had that happen to me from a seller who didn't want to part with a coin b4. However, it was just the 3-legged buffalo in VF condition that I won for $150.00 and not a bulk of his collection. This guy also had neutral feedback saying that he cancelled the transaction before saying he lost the coin.

I don't know the particular seller in question, but I say it's water under the bridge if you didn't lose any $.
    Farmer & Theatre Teacher by day…
  • Options
    The seller of this coin cancelled a lot of his/her coins. No longer available for sale. It wasn't just the one in the auction dcarr won. Either it's legitimate or it's an excusable way to get out of honoring a transaction or a few of them. I really think the seller sold the coins at the prices he was comfortable parting with them at. Minimum bids were his comfort zone.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a new time and age.

I am a regular participant in the the L.A. Roadster's Fathers Day Show for many years and we would never take safety precautions above and beyond normal common sense.

This year a band of thieves hit the show and wiped some people clean. A entire trailer full of old prewar parts was stolen , a complete 32 roadster was wired and driven off and a lot of people had HIGH VALUE merchandise stolen.

I realize that this isn't 'coins'. It's just VERY HIGH VALUE merchandise in a friendly setting. I guess we were too easy of a target to resist.

A person almost has to think like a thief to understand ones vulnerabilities and take appropriate safety precautions.

From my experience, it's the people who gain knowledge of your safety precautions and your habits--some of them within your circle--who are most likely to hit you. A stranger(thief) just hits random opportunities.

Seems like a good time to review security of personal property and make sure you have adequate insurance.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>It's a new time and age.

I am a regular participant in the the L.A. Roadster's Fathers Day Show for many years and we would never take safety precautions above and beyond normal common sense.

This year a band of thieves hit the show and wiped some people clean. A entire trailer full of old prewar parts was stolen , a complete 32 roadster was wired and driven off and a lot of people had HIGH VALUE merchandise stolen.

I realize that this isn't 'coins'. It's just VERY HIGH VALUE merchandise in a friendly setting. I guess we were too easy of a target to resist.

A person almost has to think like a thief to understand ones vulnerabilities and take appropriate safety precautions.

From my experience, it's the people who gain knowledge of your safety precautions and your habits--some of them within your circle--who are most likely to hit you. A stranger(thief) just hits random opportunities.

Seems like a good time to review security of personal property and make sure you have adequate insurance. >>

That is a shame. Did they do it at night ?
  • Options
    I'm not sure why anybody would think that I do NOT want to sell a coin I list on eBay. I would have been happy to have sold that 1872-cc $10 gold to the buyer at the purchase price of $3,695. That coin and the following coins were all stolen on 6/27/11:
    1872-CC $10 GOLD LIBERTY ANACS VF-30 CLEANED CERT#2907666
    1878-CC $20 GOLD LIBERTY NGC-VF CLEANED CERT #3316432-020
    1864 SEATED DOLLAR ANACS PR-60 ALTERED SURFACES CERT#4707673
    1854 $3 GOLD PRINCESS NGC UNC CLEANED CERT #3229183-009
    1854-O $3 GOLD PRINCESS ANACS AU-50 DAMAGED CERT #4187641
    1811 CLASSIC HEAD HALF CENT NGC-AU SCRATCHED CERT#1736451-016
    1799 DRAPED BUST DOLLAR NGC VF CLEANED CERT#24512381-001
    1838 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR NGC UNC CLEANED CERT#2474666-002
    1871-S $5 GOLD LIBERTY NGC-AU DAMEGED CERT#3316586-019
    1856-S $3 GOLD PRINCESS NGC-XF CLEANED CERT#3316509-020
    1884 $3 GOLD PRINCESS ANACS AU-50 EX-JEWELRY CERT#4044686
    1850-O $20 GOLD LIBERTY NGC-AU SCRATCHES CERT#3451942-001
    1807 DRAPED BUST LARGE CENT SEGS AU-58 CORRODED CERT#521225 1367920334903
    1797 DRAPED BUST HALF DIME NGC-AU CORRODED/CLEANED CERT#2535741-005

If anyone has any knowledge of or has seen any of these coins, please report them to the Casa Grande, AZ Sheriff's office tel #(800) 420-8689 Case #110627111image
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure why anybody would think that I do NOT want to sell a coin I list on eBay. I would have been happy to have sold that 1872-cc $10 gold to the buyer at the purchase price of $3,695. That coin and the following coins were all stolen on 6/27/11:
    1872-CC $10 GOLD LIBERTY ANACS VF-30 CLEANED CERT#2907666
    1864 SEATED DOLLAR ANACS PR-60 ALTERED SURFACES CERT#4707673
    1854 $3 GOLD PRINCESS NGC UNC CLEANED CERT #3229183-009
    1854-O $3 GOLD PRINCESS ANACS AU-50 DAMAGED CERT #4187641
    1811 CLASSIC HEAD HALF CENT NGC-AU SCRATCHED CERT#1736451-016
    1799 DRAPED BUST DOLLAR NGC VF CLEANED CERT#24512381-001
    1838 CAPPED BUST HALF DOLLAR NGC UNC CLEANED CERT#2474666-002
    1871-S $5 GOLD LIBERTY NGC-AU DAMEGED CERT#3316586-019
    1856-S $3 GOLD PRINCESS NGC-XF CLEANED CERT#3316509-020
    1884 $3 GOLD PRINCESS ANACS AU-50 EX-JEWELRY CERT#4044686
    1850-O $20 GOLD LIBERTY NGC-AU SCRATCHES CERT#3451942-001
    1807 DRAPED BUST LARGE CENT SEGS AU-58 CORRODED CERT#521225 1367920334903
    1797 DRAPED BUST HALF DIME NGC-AU CORRODED/CLEANED CERT#2535741-005

If anyone has any knowledge of or has seen any of these coins, please report them to the Casa Grande, AZ Sheriff's office tel #(800) 420-8689 Case #110627111image >>

I certainly hope your coins are recovered!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry that happened but we were rightfully questioning the auction on both the sell and
    buy side. We want accurate information, period. If the coins were in fact stolen (and now
    we know that to be true) we are happy to aid you in getting them back. Please don't take
    our questions as a negative to you personally. This board has been tricked by many a seller,
    and many a buyer, and we've learned that questions have to be asked and answered in a
    logical sequence.
    Good luck and I'll keep my eyes open for any on the list!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly am sorry that your coins were stolen, g048406.

I would suggest that you also report this to the Numismatic Crime Information Center. This service is free, and you can do this on their website, www.numismaticcrimes.org.

Oh, and welcome to the Forums, although I wish it were under better circumstances.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I certainly hope your coins are recovered! >>

By the cops after they shoot the thief dead while trying to escape.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard g048406,
    Saw this thread on the Ebay forums, sorry to hear about your theft.
    Hopefully the crooks will keep them in the slab, and are caught.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    DCARR,
    That is a shame. Did they do it at night ?

The roadster was done in broad daylight. Most stuff was done after dark.....we don't pay much attention after sunset as we are 'busy' with other things......image

regards
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    I keep thinking about an earlier post about in these times a person at times need think like a thief to catch one , i believe that to be true. It's the amount of info we post i wonder about , for example , if i had stolen what appears to be valuable coins one of the first places im going to go research is coin forums or web sites which ultimately lead to forums. I'd now know i'd better get them out of those slabs PDQ.If someone were to google 1872-cc $10 liberty gold eagle which would be on the slab , i'd wager it brings them directly to this thread. Just thinking out loud is all..best of luck in getting the coins back.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear about the theft, g048406. I hope they're recovered. Maybe the fact that these were all problem coins can help identify them.

Welcome to the forum, too!
    Lance.

• Options
    Thanks everybody for your support. The one bright spot is that I have very good high-res pictures of all the coins. I had them all for sale on ebay at the time, and hopefully they can be matched at some later date. I filled out the report at NCIC yesterday. At this point, it seems the Casa Grande detectives are banking on the fingerprints they lifted from the outside bathroom window. I hope I recover these coins, but, I'm not very optomistic. They were not insured, and it has crippled me financially.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I certainly hope your coins are recovered! >>

By the cops after they shoot the thief dead while trying to escape.

Russ, NCNE >>

How do you really feel, Russ???? image

edited to add: Welcome g048406.......so sorry to hear about your loss.
    I'm with Russ here!!!! image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ttt
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the theft... Hope you recover 100% of these rare coins, & there is a happy ending to all of this.
    WELCOME !!! image
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pass that info out to the Tucson area dealers.

edited to add: Just noticed this is already a month old. Any news of these being found?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posting the following good news on behalf of a lurker...

I just wanted this poster to know that we have recovered all of his stolen coins, still in their slabs as he described them.
    The Casa Grande Police were contacted last week, and have promised to send a detective this week to Phoenix to pick them up.
    Maybe the police have already contacted the burglary victim and told him the coins are recovered. But in case they didn’t, now he knows.
    -Richard Smith, the Coin Gallery, Phoenix, AZ.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Posting the following good news on behalf of a lurker...

I just wanted this poster to know that we have recovered all of his stolen coins, still in their slabs as he described them.
    The Casa Grande Police were contacted last week, and have promised to send a detective this week to Phoenix to pick them up.
    Maybe the police have already contacted the burglary victim and told him the coins are recovered. But in case they didn’t, now he knows.
    -Richard Smith, the Coin Gallery, Phoenix, AZ. >>

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OUTSTANDING!!!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    That is good news Mr E , i couldn't help but pick up on something in the OP's last post though. That being the stolen coins were listed on ebay , i wonder if the OP used a PO box or his address for transactions. Once a thief has your address , ebay listings are just a menu for them. I think if i were a cop i'd be looking at past transactions on the bay.
  • Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW!! How great is that?! I wonder what the percentage of items stolen vs recovered really is? I bet it is extremely low. Congrats to the rightful owner of the property as well as the law enforcement personnel and any/all that aided in the apprehension of the criminals.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OUTSTANDING!!! >>

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A happy ending. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Great!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Great, but did Russ's wish come true?
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great, but did Russ's wish come true? >>

I was about to ask the same thing. The icing on the cake would be if the dirtbag is now worm food.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I love happy endings.image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Hello All,
    I contacted Richard at the Coin Gallery in Phoenix, AZ. He is a great guy. He has confirmed that my stolen coins are there at his shop. Unfortunately, we are still waiting for the police to go to his shop and pick-up the coins and video of the guys that sold the coins to him. Richard and I have called the police and left numerous messages, but so far, they have not answered nor called me back. I will keep everyone advised on any updates. I wish to thank everyone for their help. Without this place, I doubt I would ever be seeing my coins again.

Mitchimage
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    That's great news Mitch. I am certainly happy for you!
  • Options
    Mitch, you Sir are a rock star and you deserve your stuff back.

I am extremely HAPPY for you, Sir!

Aaron
  • Options
    First I wish to THANK EVERYONE HERE for all your great help..........now for the good news:
    The stolen coins were recovered last week by Richard Smith of "The Coin Gallery" located at 4216 W. Dunlap in Phoenix, Arizona, 85051. The Sheriff's Dept returned the coins to me today. The jewelry and laptops were not recovered. I wish to thank Det. Buysse, Deputy Pacheco and especially Richard Smith for helping me recover my coins. They have the crooks ID and video of him. Hopefully he and his accomplaces will be brought to justice soon. I will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks again everyone,
    Mitch(g048406)
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First I wish to THANK EVERYONE HERE for all your great help..........now for the good news:
    The stolen coins were recovered last week by Richard Smith of "The Coin Gallery" located at 4216 W. Dunlap in Phoenix, Arizona, 85051. The Sheriff's Dept returned the coins to me today. The jewelry and laptops were not recovered. I wish to thank Det. Buysse, Deputy Pacheco and especially Richard Smith for helping me recover my coins. They have the crooks ID and video of him. Hopefully he and his accomplaces will be brought to justice soon. I will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks again everyone,
    Mitch(g048406) >>

Excellent!!!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    It's still hard for me to believe that it's been 5 months when my world changed. I wish to give THANKS to all here this Thanksgiving. I've been ill in the hospital recently, so I'm sorry for being a little late. Everybody here, in their own way, has helped me and my wife indirectly/directly recover my stolen coins. Now for some news:
    UPDATE:
    On 11/9/11, we were contacted by BofA. There were a series of checks(11) that totaled about $3,000. written out to a local man with my wifes name that the Bank said didn't match her signature. My wife had never written any of these checks. The checks had been stolen during the burglary in June. The bank said they have clear video images of the man that cashed some of the checks at their bank. The bank only cashed 1 of the checks, they stopped all the others. We (Me, my wife and BofA) contacted Deputy Pacheco (the deputy that is now assigned to our case). They discovered this name GERALD MACK, ID and videos of this crook, along with his current residence. That is where we are today.

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that GERALD MACK is dumb enough to venture into Maricopa County and get busted by Sheriff Joe. I'll bet MACK would look stylish in a pink jumpsuit.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear the crook(s) is/are being tracked down.
  • Options

<< <i>It's still hard for me to believe that it's been 5 months when my world changed. I wish to give THANKS to all here this Thanksgiving. I've been ill in the hospital recently, so I'm sorry for being a little late. Everybody here, in their own way, has helped me and my wife indirectly/directly recover my stolen coins. Now for some news:
    UPDATE:
    On 11/9/11, we were contacted by BofA. There were a series of checks(11) that totaled about $3,000. written out to a local man with my wifes name that the Bank said didn't match her signature. My wife had never written any of these checks. The checks had been stolen during the burglary in June. The bank said they have clear video images of the man that cashed some of the checks at their bank. The bank only cashed 1 of the checks, they stopped all the others. We (Me, my wife and BofA) contacted Deputy Pacheco (the deputy that is now assigned to our case). They discovered this name GERALD MACK, ID and videos of this crook, along with his current residence. That is where we are today. >>

What an awesome update Mitch! Hopefully that b@st@rd is shot in the kneecaps image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, Did the 2 of you finally complete the transaction on eBay for the 1872-CC Eagle?

Just curious, and very glad things worked out for you.

Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic news!

Someone should contact Coin World & Numismatic News and have them write a story about this. Glad to see a case where there was a (mostly) happy ending.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file