Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official 2011 Topps Allen & Ginter thread

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    I broke down... dang bustin' wax addiction... and bought 3 boxes.

Best hit was a redemption for a Jason Heyward autograph... my only auto in three boxes. 7 various baseball relic cards, and 1 non-baseball relic (Heather Mitts - Soccer - Jersey?).

I also did hit one of the facial hair cards... The Ironing Board.

Here is my list of set needs....

307, 309, 310, 312, 313, 315, 324, 325, 327, 337, 344, 345, 346, 348

I don't really do the inserts, so if you have mini's, other insert or GU you're looking for... all/any of mine are available for my base set needs!

-Eric
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Im buying Manny Pacquiao base cards and minis! Actually, Id like 15 of the base and 5 mini. So if ya got em, please shoot me a PM!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im buying Manny Pacquiao base cards and minis! Actually, Id like 15 of the base and 5 mini. So if ya got em, please shoot me a PM! >>

I've got this one. It's mint

• Options
    would love to get any adrian gonzalez mini parallels.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    That was a pretty good 3 box rip Eric.

After sleeping on it and browsing ebay this set has alot to offer there are alot of big auto hit chances, the state cards would be cool to complete and I love the art. Im in.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    I have tracking that shows a case arrving to me on Tuesday - woohoo

• Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    OK here is the breakdown:
    1st box only had 2 "hits" all others had 3.
    1 state card- Gerogia 1/50
    1 Bazooka back mini Jonathan Sanchez 25/25
    1 NNO mini R Zimmerman
    2 Black border SP minis (Cards over #301 I were told were SP if black border)
    5 Autos- Nantz, Mitre, Starlin Castro, Jiminez, Pagan
    No Rip card
    Only 1 dup GU (Cano)

One box all 3 relics were Red Sox....

Going to contact Topps about the missing hit/rip and see what they do.

• Options
    From the break last night...
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    How does Blake Dewitt get a GU card... he sucks.
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    OK, what do I have to cough up for the Sanchez Bazooka?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options

<< <i>OK, what do I have to cough up for the Sanchez Bazooka? >>

It's not mine....was a group break....I will ask the guy who won it.
  • Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭
    Oh man, I have a story to tell today.

So I opened 8 boxes of ginter Wednesday and got kinda hammered. I didn't pull the rip until the 8th box. I like fresh cases and then trying to pull the rip card early on, but
    in the past my luck has been awful. Last year I opened 2 cases and didn't get one rip card!

Soooooo, fast forward to today. There is a fresh case at my local card guys shop and I rip into it. I pull a few autos but they wern't that great. I finally in box 6 hit a
    rip card of Delmon Young....ugggg, at least its kinda short at /75. Well Im done after getting hammered again for a second day. My card guy tells me he still has another
    case, so it being payday and all, I figure...Ill get some boxes to go..so I pull 4 out of a fresh case and cash out.

Flash backward to 2009. I was here on these very boards trading ginter like we do every year and a member has some extra boxes and offered to sell them to me for a
    VERY good price, I can't remember who it was, but it was a regular. I think I bought 2 boxes from him...well I opened them in the parking lot of a supermarket and to my
    delight I pulled a N43 boxtopper AUTOGRAPH of Ryan Howard. Keep in mind I am a HUGE Ryan Howard fan. A box topper auto is a very hard pull not to mention an
    autographed topper of my guy. It still today is in my collection. A few months later I would pull the N43 relic numbered 6/15 which is Ryan's jersey number. Once again
    still in my collection.

Fast forward to today, I am in the car driving home and busting packs (yeah I know, not safe but..) in the first pack I hit a Kristi Yamaguichi autograph. BAM a great start. As I
    am about to pull into my house, I drive by it and go to that same parking lot where I pulled the Ryan Howard autograph a few years back. I start into the 3rd box
    and hit TWO Tyler Colvin GU's NOT good.....and then, the third hit....

I was thinking to myself how cool it was to hit the rip card in only 4 boxes..

slide back the card and saw the numbering and was like YES a short print!

YES

Now the hard part...should I sell it or keep it?
  • Options
    great pull!!

now be a real man and rip one right in front of the ladies
  • Options
    Sell the howard rip....COuld pay for 4 boxes
  • Options
    WOOT....Bought a box for myself today!
    Derrek Lee Jersey
    Chone Figgins Auto
    CARLOS GONZALEZ Rip card 10/10!!
  • Options
    Nice pull Jon

Guess it's rip card day - just got my 1st one of the year. Castro 09/99

It will be ripped but not quite yet.
  • Options
    I'm gonna buy on of those Topps Binders this year but made a regular binder label if any one wants it

• Options

<< <i>Nice pull Jon

Guess it's rip card day - just got my 1st one of the year. Castro 09/99

It will be ripped but not quite yet. >>

When you gonna rip????

I see the one's #/10 going for huge $$ so I threw it up with a $625 BIN/OBO.image
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    I see there is a George W Bush sig card. Seeing on some eBay ads this is limited to 200 of them signed. If so that is pretty damn cool and I hope they come down in price I wouldn't mind grabbing one.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Im buying Manny Pacquiao base cards and minis! Actually, Id like 15 of the base and 5 mini. So if ya got em, please shoot me a PM! >>

I've got this one. It's mint

image >>

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
  • Options
    TRADING... TRADING... TRADING...

Here are my WANT lists:

Base Set
    307, 309, 310, 312, 313, 315, 324, 325, 327, 337, 344, 345, 346, 348
    Hometown Heroes
    3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 17, 20, 22, 25, 26, 30, 31, 35, 36, 38, 41, 42, 44, 46, 49, 50, 53, 55, 56, 57, 58, 64, 65, 66, 70, 74, 75, 78, 79, 80, 83, 84, 90, 92, 93, 94, 96, 97, 99, 100

Here is my HAVE lists:

Base Set
    1, 22, 29, 39, 46, 48, 63, 83, 87, 109, 117, 122, 133, 137, 141, 142, 146, 157, 158, 169, 173, 175, 179, 204, 207, 211, 218, 219, 229, 233, 235, 243, 250, 252, 257, 258, 264, 266, 271, 272, 281, 296
    Baseball Highlight Sketches
    4, 6, 7, 9, 13, 14, 16, 18, 21, 22, 24
    Minds That Made The Future
    4, 5, 13, 21, 22, 28, 30, 38, 39
    Floating Fortresses
    4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 14, 18
    Ascent Of Man
    1, 3, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 20, 23, 26
    Portraits of Penultimacy
    3, 7, 8, 8, 10, 10
    Animals
    3, 7, 20, 22, 28, 30
    Uninvited Guests
    1, 3, 4, 4, 8, 10
    World's Most Mysterious Figures
    1, 3, 5, 6, 10
    Step Right Up
    3, 4, 5, 9, 10
    Code Cards
    52 - Francisco Cordero, 161 - Casey McGehee, 229 - Juan Pierre

The rest of my Code cards, Minis & Game Used are currently on eBay... Whatever does sell tomorrow will also be available to trade at that time.

Cheers,

Eric
  • Options
    I would also be interested in trading for, or purchasing, the following autographs:

Diana Taurasi
    Heather Mitts
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Lou Holtz
    Larry Holmes

Although I don't really care to move it, I would consider trading my J.Heyward AU Redemption as part of a trade for any of these autos!

-E
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to Walmart and Target, and they didn't have any. I didn't read all the posts...maybe they are just available now in card shops as Walt mentioned he bought his there...I just hate paying card shop prices.
  • Options
    Tore open my rip card this morning

Troy Tulowitzki extended mini

oh well - could have done worse. Last one went for $55

probably only would have gotten around $60 for the unripped card anyway

• Options

<< <i>Went to Walmart and Target, and they didn't have any. I didn't read all the posts...maybe they are just available now in card shops as Walt mentioned he bought his there...I just hate paying card shop prices. >>

Hobby is much better than retail. I can't tell you how many guys I have seen pull big cards in only a few packs. I have seen single packs and hanging backs at
    my target, there might of been blasters but they were gone.

Walt
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    Nice hit on the Howard rip. You could always rip it, sell the contents, and keep the torn rip card.

Wish I could get a few boxes this year, but I've bought a few too many singles this year for other sets. The budget is exhausted! I'll have to experience '11 Ginter vicariously through this thread instead.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Went to Walmart and Target, and they didn't have any. I didn't read all the posts...maybe they are just available now in card shops as Walt mentioned he bought his there...I just hate paying card shop prices. >>

Hobby is much better than retail. I can't tell you how many guys I have seen pull big cards in only a few packs. I have seen single packs and hanging backs at
    my target, there might of been blasters but they were gone.

Walt >>

I checked out ebay and saw what they sell for - it's a lot more money per box but I think I'd rather take a shot at that, than wasting money on the Walmart dreck blasters that I usually get.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I really like the format this year. Walt, is there only 75 of that Howard Ryan card or is there 75 that have the numbering scheme? Just curious if this is going to be a typical Topps scam of changing the borders and numbering, adding some glitter and renumbering... You get my drift. I have access to a case but just not sure after busting so many Heritage and Gypsy boxes. How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Let me know what topps tells you about no Rip. I opened a case myself no Rip and no flowers. I sent them an email last night.
  • Options

<< <i>Let me know what topps tells you about no Rip. I opened a case myself no Rip and no flowers. I sent them an email last night. >>

You will want to send in all 12 UPC's and they should send you a rip card.

• Options
    I don't know how the rest of you have done, but I had my backside handed to me this year. 4 1/2 boxes and 1 (Morel) auto. No no numbers, no bazooka, no nothing (other than the state card). Wow.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know how the rest of you have done, but I had my backside handed to me this year. 4 1/2 boxes and 1 (Morel) auto. No no numbers, no bazooka, no nothing (other than the state card). Wow. >>

I was about to pull the trigger on a case, but after I got burned on 2010 Chrome Football and Bowman Chrome Baseball, I decided to wait.
    Mike
  • Options
    Anyone know about this Konerko GU card and why it may have gone for so much?

I don't usually pick up the A&G set, as I'm more of a Heritage guy. I however do try to pick up the Sox relic cards and grab a team set. Was this just a case of two uneducated people driving up the price, or is this Konerko a short print relic card?

Konerko card
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    I wasn't going to buy any A & G but couldn't resist while at Target.
    No blaster boxes just 5 racks and a gravity box.

I bought the 5 racks and 6 packs.
    The usual assortment of SP's and mini inserts.
    With 2 of these: What are these with the funky borders?

imageimage

In one of the rack packs came this Bazooka: pretty cool.

Joe

imageimage
  • Options
    TrinkettsTrinketts Posts: 1,699

<< <i>

<< <i>Let me know what topps tells you about no Rip. I opened a case myself no Rip and no flowers. I sent them an email last night. >>

You will want to send in all 12 UPC's and they should send you a rip card. >>

You can also send in a picture/scan of the case UPC as well
    Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about. -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    Those cards with the symbols in the corners are the code cards used to crack the Ginter code. I heard there are 170 of them this year

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Although, interestingly, I've heard significantly less press / advertisement about Crack the Code this year versus prior years.

In fact, I have no idea what the prize even is this year! df.pdf">The Sell Sheet only says "a prize", and there's very little news and hoopla compared to prior years.

There used to be news stories in prior years about crytographer teams working diligently upon release for the first to crack the code. Am I just missing it this year...?
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Konerko looks to be a SP. How many other auctions have ended?

• Options
    Still waiting to hear from topps. I read on the topps site that they want all wrappers and upc's from the boxes and the case. They can have it all back if they are willing to give me a Rip card that I think should of been in a case.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those cards with the symbols in the corners are the code cards used to crack the Ginter code. I heard there are 170 of them this year >>

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Hey Guys, not exactly the right place, but as you are all currently into the Ginter market, if you happen to see a 2008 A&G Frank Thomas printing plate, please let me know.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    19 boxes so far - 4 autos

Best one Angelo Dundee

glad I'm not in this for the money

busticated a case last night

3 autos, Dundee, Morse and obligatory Gio Gonzalez
    1 SP relic that I know of LaLanne with a piece of film in it)
    3 nno minis
    1 bazooka
    1 flora damaged as my other 2 have been
    no rip card (unless I missed it but I doubt it)
    2 face mini SSPs
    1 fortunes mini SSP

finished my 1-351 set on the 14th overall box

still have to sort all the inserts, minis and relics to see where I'm at overall

fastest I ever opened a case. Probably gonna have withdrawal tonight with nothing to rip image
  • Options
    psu92psu92 Posts: 283
    Has anyone seen any blaster boxes yet?
  • Options
    So let's recap my 2 A&G Purchases so far.
    8 Packs last Wednesday- Peter Gammons Red in Auto (Sold for $102.50)
    8 Packs last Friday- Carlos Gonzalez Rip card 10/10 (Not sold yet)

YesterdayI stopped in again. I always grab the right column of cards

Did a pack war with him on his last 2 2011 Bowman Jumbos. I won. Profar Blue refractor, Profar and Goldschmidt Chrome.

1 Jumbo pack 2011 Topps Series 2- Frank Robinson SP.

8 packs of Ginter- Fresh Box-

3 Relics....

/25

And this....

Gonna put the Beltre on Ebay for 3 days. If it doesn't sell I'll crack it open live on Sunday!
  • Options
    just hit and Ethier Rip card of 50 and autos of Rafer Johnson and Timothy Shieff...who wants to trade?
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    rip the Ethier and then trade me the ripped card image
  • Options
    I do, Walt, look in your inbox.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Jon you're on a roll - keep it going!!

You get those at Tom's?

• Options
    I am not understanding the appeal of the state shaped relic cards, but they appear to be very popular. The Arizona card features dirt from Arizona.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options
    Don't think this question has been answered yet- but does anyone know if PSA allows the bazooka backs #'d to 25 to go into players master registry sets?