Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Mike Tyson Panini Rookie from EBAY...

I just got this in the mail a few minutes ago and it is awesome!!!

I have two more coming from the same seller and he is over in Cyprus. There is one up on EBAY from him right now listed for $250 buy it now or best offer. It says the seller is in Athens but is actually in Cyrpus like I said.

I can't wait to get the others as one has dead on centering. This is razor sharp and once I get the others these are heading to Newport Beach!

Great packaging on the sellers part and as close to mint as you can get.

The back of the card is in Italien and says 1986.

Comments

• Hope you didn't pay $250 for it! The other seller of the Panini Tyson stickers is a guy in Italy, and his Tysons generally go for around $85. He had one that looked mint, but I didn't have the $100 to bid on it at the time.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased all 3 for $100 a piece.

I have about five business days until the other two arrive.

• $100 apiece is a little over what I've seen them going for, but not much. And it looks like they're steadily going up, so not a bad purchase. About 6 months ago (maybe less) a PSA 8 one went for about $85. I wish I had swooped that one, but hindsight is 20/20. If they grade well and you want to sell one, PM me. I have a handful of old Joe Louis, Gans, etc. cards and a Tyson would be nice.
    This is the next big card.

A PSA 9 in my opinion will go for $500+++

I am doing my best to find one as I know long term this is a major winner and going to be so tuff to find in high grade.

There are way more buyers then sellers if these surface in high grade.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    i don't think there is much upside with this card. perhaps in very high grade there could be a bidding war.. but i think the supply is catching up with the demand. I remember a year or 2 ago i was waiting for months for this card to appear on ebay.. eventually one did and i was shocked to get out bid at 80 bucks for it. i was scooping up other panini rookies for 5-20 bucks. lately i've seen one or 2 of these on ebay every week. I could be wrong.. but i don't think there is much more upside for raw ones. Boxing cards in general have been very very strong. a bgs 1966 panini ali just sold for over 700 and so did a 68. they were a valida back which i never really know carried much of a premium. I've been thinking for a while that his 66 panini card was very under valued.. but never thought a bgs 3.5 would sell for 700.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    These are coming to market for two reasons. One the price is much higher then it was and the Hall of Fame is coming.

You need a catlyst to create supply and we have it. It is all coming from one source which is great news. You want a big seller to come in and throw everything they have at the market.

If it holds the prices are going much higher.

This is in the early stages of a bull market. There has yet to be a high grade example sold. The first in a $0.99 auction will go nuts.

I fully expect to see this move much higher.

This seller is the first to list true strong examples of this card since I have been following these once we had our bidding war and I bought the item for $82 bucks.

The market is dying for a high grade example of this too surface. There is one PSA 8 and no PSA 9's and certainly no PSA 10's.

If one surfaces and it goes for sale it is going to be a monster auction.
  • I don't see tons of these cards coming up. Definitely, there's more trickling into eBay now that people see what they're going for, but at this point the demand outweighs the supply. And I don't see tons coming to market as how many people held onto numbers of them? However, I still don't think a PSA 9 would go for more than a couple hundred at this point. A PSA 10 might be a monster, though.

The reason a PSA 9 will bring huge cash is it is a Pop1 if it happens and those go nuts.

Look there is a extremely low supply of these in strong condition. I have five others and they are really not truely grade worthy.

This seller is the first to bring any strong raw examples to market and especially with any supply in the past 18 months. I have not tracked the market longer but trust me if this card is easy we will find out in the next three months.

I don't think it is easy and if I am wrong so be it. If I am right and find one of these in the condition I am looking for it is a huge score.

Only time will tell.
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622

<< <i>This is the next big card.

A PSA 9 in my opinion will go for $500+++

I am doing my best to find one as I know long term this is a major winner and going to be so tuff to find in high grade.

There are way more buyers then sellers if these surface in high grade. >>

is it because of the HANGOVER that this card has become hot?
    I don't think the hangover has much to do with it... Boxing cards have been very strong the past few months. 73 panini george foreman sold for over 70 and a 66 ali bgs 3.5 just sold for 700. Tyson is one the most popular boxers of our generation and the card is rather limited. We are seeing more and more pop up on ebay though. Very few have been graded so far so there are no high grade examples. Looks like a few people are competing to scoop up raw ones in the hopes to be the first to score a 9 or 10.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    The movie The Hangover can't hurt. His pending induction into the Hall of Fame of boxing can't hurt either.

I think it is a general trend towards collectors wanting to own the biggest stars in history and Mike Tyson is arguably that in boxing. To boxing purest perhaps not but my generation that grew up in the 1980's see Mike Tyson to be the most dangerous fighter ever.

Collectors are looking for rare items and something that grabs you. Just like the Hulk Hogan rookie has caught many collectors attention this one will too.

I would argue that this card/sticker is relatively still unknown and this is a great thing if you are looking to buy something for a return on your money.

Once there is a high grade example that surfaces and sells people will see the big number and the true hunt for raw cards will begin.

I am clearly one of the buyers looking for a strong raw copy with hopes of submitting and scoring a high grade.

• I bought a '73 Foreman in nice condition in the past 6 months, but I think I only paid about $30 for it. Yet to have it graded, but I'm expecting a 7 or 8.
  • Sounds like another score!!! Way to go big dog!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I have a copy of this card at PSA, as we speak. It looks like a strong 8 or possibly PSA 9. I'll be listing it on eBay the minute it's back in my possession.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
    Good luck with your sub!

I think this one I have will get an 8 but if the one's I am getting soon have as sharp of corners and edges as this one they have a very solid shot at a PSA 9 becuase of stronger centering.

I have my hopes up!

Good luck to you, as well!

These Panini stickers are a lot more condition sensitive than people think. The majority of them are off center and I have a ton that have print defects. Not to mention - they're obviously very thin paper stock. I think you're correct in assuming these cards will fetch some decent money in high grade. I've also been trying to find a Greg Norman rookie from this set that's in decent shape. I have two that are poorly centered - and one of those has print issues.
    Jeff

Here are my other five. I don't think any would grade over a PSA 5.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Tyson is such a chump. I loved watching him box, but what a wierd dude he is- especially relative to other boxers of his generation that had character. Are there any Holyfields in the Panini set or does he have any good cards at all?
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    Yes Holyfield is in the 1987 set with the second year Tyson.

The card looks like this one

Mike Tyson has clearly made a lot of mistakes bud he was a true knockout artist. You don't always have to agree with everything the person you are collecting did. I like this card for the rarity, condition sensitivity, and it captures Tyson as Kid Dynamite.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    No doubt. I wasn't trying to be critical. I was a big fan of his until his second bout with Holyfield. That night just defied logic- no explanations. That 2nd card you just posted of Tyson- What a great shot that is. Total beast...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
    I realize you were not being critical at all. His personal life is a disaster.

Yeah the 1987 shows what a monster he was. Anyone who works out knows to weigh 220 and absolutely be ripped like he was is insane!

I have a few of his DVD's and if you ever want a good laugh watch a few of his first fights. He was a wrecking machine!

Because of the super thin paper stock these are so tuff. There is the slightest softness in the upper right hand corner on this one. Still a very sharp example.

This one is very strong and has great centering. I am hoping this is the one to find it's way into a high end PSA slab.

Congrats. That 2nd card looks fantastic!
    Jeff
    It still blows my mind when I get a package in the mail and it is all the way from the tiny island of Cyprus and these goodies are inside.

The internet has changed commerace for ever.

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I think you'd make more money working part time at McDonald's. Probably have more fun too.
    You make some bizarre statements but what on earth does this one mean Mullins???
    I think the guy is just being a "hater". I have to give you credit you made a heck of a bet on the 82 wrestling cards... The guy might also be oblivious to the fact that these tyson cards are selling. For over 100 raw on ebay rather regularly. My guess is he fails to see upside until they are alresdy popular and at or over fair value... Prob owned jdsu at 200 or has several cases of 86 topps bb
    I just got these bad boys out to Newport Beach this morning. I did an all 80's sub to get the 20 card special with 3 Tyson Rookies and a second year one. I also have my best Macho Man Rookie in there as well.

• simon2010simon2010 Posts: 76 ✭✭
    any word on your grades as of yet,i hope u done well
    Thanks Simon.

It will be about two weeks as I did the 10 day special.

I have two major card players I at times run raw card scans by and they feel very good about these.

Once they hit I will post the results.

There are severall Tyson cards heating up on EBAY. I still think this card is going higher and I am counting the days until my sub pops.

This is a great looking card - LINK

And I don't know about you, but I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the 8.5 that's being auctioned. If that goes for anything less than $200, it's a steal.
    Jeff
    The same seller I bought a number of mine from auctioned off the one this morning that finished at $130. I have one more from him coming any day now that looks strong but the centering is not perfect.

Yes I have my eye on the 8.5, it is a very sharp example.

It looks like the asking price on your PSA 9 just doubled image

<< <i>It looks like the asking price on your PSA 9 just doubled image >>

Yes sir - it's becoming harder and harder for me to let go of it image

Jeff
    In all honesty I can not figure out why you would want to sell that one. The pop reports will expand but lets face it all of the high grade material is coming from one seller. Unless that seller has another 50 cards it will dry up soon and your chances of finding high end material fall dramatically.

With that said - I'm hoping to bring home the 8.5, as well.
    Jeff
    I have three cards in for sub. I am not selling any. I really think this card is a huge one. The image of Kid Dynamite with a MSG microphone is just awesome!!! I have said it from day one this is going to be a big card! There will be a day in the next 12 months I think where a strong raw card pulls $250.

Time will tell.

I'd welcome those kind of prices.
    Jeff
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Y'all need to get those Iron Mike's autographed at the National.

Buying US Presidential autographs
    I think I read somewhere that it was $119 for his auto.

Mike are you or is someone you know going?

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am seriously considering going this year....have not decided yet, the miss wants me to go so why shouldn't I?
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Just a few hours to go and the Tyson is still climbing.

Current bid is $258. Should be really interesting to see how this plays out.

I know this bidder well.
    Jeff
    I looked through his history and is a frequent bidder on boxing cards. I am guessing just like in my little wrestling world you can spot certain bidders by their feedback.

Does this guy have deep pockets and will challenge you until the end?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Are most of the Tyson's not cut square with 90 degree corners? That PSA 8.5 and the 9 that are on ebay right now both appear to be trapezoidal. Might just be my eyes, but they don't look square. My Tyson is not cut square either and I've seen several that don't look like the cut you'd expect from a traditional card (I realize it's a sticker, but if I was spending the kind of coin that it will take for a 8.5 or 9, I'd expect it to be square)

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    I can't speak for the 8.5, but the PSA 9 is cut like a perfect rectangle. It might be the way they sit in those floating holders.
    Jeff
  • kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    $258. I should've kept my 1988(or '87?) BGS 8.5 I sold for $95 last year.
    I think you did just fine on the second year card. There are a lot of high grade examples if you view the population report.

Keep in mind this is his rookie card and is getting treated that way in the marketplace.

The winner owns the PSA 9 and was smart to buy it and add to his holdings.

This card is taking off and if a high grade example is let fly it will blow some minds what it sells for.