Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hoping for the best...preparing for the worst...Tracking # added.

Comments

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    If these are sent with just DC...which it says on the tracking #...I will have these waiting for me in the mail box. I do not have a video camera and that would mean nothing anyway. You have to wait the minimum 10 day period to open a claim. If you read the claim procedures...they are fairly clear. Someone asked "What am I expecting to receive?" The answer is...I don't know. Stock photos have been used in auctions before. If they arrived it would not be the biggest surprise in the history of the universe. The seller had 100% feedback. Could I receive 2 PSA 9's with different serial #'s--possible but unlikely. Will I receive a bubble wrap envelope with 1999 Omar Vizquel card--likely. Have wondered this question...The sellers account had to be legit with a PAYPAL account tied directly to it? Aren't these types of sellers seriously risking going to jail. Will not PAYPAL go right after them?
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Will not PAYPAL go right after them >>

Not sure....alot of people are using Ebay to steal. Just look at what transpired with Bill. I am not so sure about the 10 days. When I received the package of air, I opened a case IMMEDIATELY. I think when that happens, all bets are off.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Maybe I should sign up for the class that Levi is teaching?? Maybe then I will stop losing money selling these d**n little pieces of cardboard! >>

Yep, you should.

Good for you.
    Do you guys really think that a mail man would want to get involved with this BS?

Good for you.
    Mine did. There was really nothing for him to do except tell the PayPal guy on the phone that I received a nice package of AIR thru the postal service.
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stock photos in this case do seem to be the more fraudulet auctions because almost 99% of the time the guy doesnt have anything even close to the original item.
    Good luck.
    Id just refuse it and id stick with the if its to good to be true info.

Happend to me once with a 1953 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 and 3 other Mantle PSA 9s. Paid 8,000.00 to the guy and got nothing. Been 11 years now and I still got nothing.
    BF paypal and any of this stuff. And done on ebay.

But you will be fine with the Paypal today so you should be fine with 2000.00 thats a high amount with paypal.

<< <i>Happend to me once with a 1953 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 and 3 other Mantle PSA 9s. Paid 8,000.00 to the guy and got nothing. Been 11 years now and I still got nothing. >>

Ouch!!! Did PayPal/Ebay ever make you whole?

<< <i> Been 11 years now and I still got nothing. >> >>

^
    Good for you.
  • Sorry this happened to you.
    1. definitely open the package in front of a postal worker.
    2. if all it has is a DC, and no signature confirmation, you automatically win any INR claim, and probably any SNAD claim.

I wish you the best of luck.

this is a crazy thought but ,-----

just rambling but so many scams & scam artists anymore, it gets scary especially when the amount goes over 1,000 or more dollars.
    Diamondman,
    The scammers thank you for providing them another avenue on how to scam people and beat the EBAY system.image
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Having just read all 6o posts, I feel like I've watched a few episodes of LOST.

• << <i>Diamondman,
    The scammers thank you for providing them another avenue on how to scam people and beat the EBAY system.image >>

i am sure they have already thought of this scam because I am always a day late or a dollar short anyway. isn't today Monday ?

but just in case I will delete it. imageimageimage
    Well, tracking # says delivered....one problem...wrong zip code. Opening case with Paypal/Ebay tomorrow. "WOW" an outright crook with 100% feedback and over 300 transactions.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, tracking # says delivered....one problem...wrong zip code. Opening case with Paypal/Ebay tomorrow. "WOW" an outright crook with 100% feedback and over 300 transactions. >>

Very disappointing Mickey - good luck.

When you talk to ebay/paypal - ask them if they do anything with the police?

Even if the guy winds up with zero money - it's still "attempted" robbery - what's the difference?
    Mike
    It's probably a civil matter.

The internet is still basically unregulated.

Get your dough back and move on.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"WOW" an outright crook with 100% feedback and over 300 transactions. >>

Did you even look at his FB prior to the sale?
    Since '06, this guy has sold a pen/pencil set and some patent leather shoes (oh yeah, and a Randy Johnson card)
    One look at his FB and I'd have walked.

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    It is a frequent scam.

This is just one of HUNDREDS of similar stories:

Last month, an ipod scammer sent an empty package to an addy in a tiny
    town; right ZIP, wrong addy. The item was purchased by an elderly lady
    for her grandchild.

DC showed delivered. The lady never got the item. She went to her TINY
    post office. The PO clerk asked the carrier about the package. In the town
    of a few hundred folks, the carrier remembered exactly where he delivered
    the package.

When the carrier and his boss went to the addy, the package was still in
    the uninvolved patron's mailbox. With the householder's permission, the
    package was opened; it was empty.

The postal folks called the Sheriff and made a report. The Sheriff helped the lady
    contact PayPal and told the story; she got an instant refund. The Sheriff contacted
    the popo in the criminal's town; unknown outcome.

The scam works great in BIG towns/cities, but not in tiny towns.

A weakness in the PP TOS opens the door for the scam.

"Proof of Delivery" is online documentation from a shipping company that includes all of the following:

* The date the item is delivered.

* The recipient's address, showing at least the city/state OR zip code.

Tho PP knows ALL the details of the scam, they continue to allow it to be used against
    innocent folks who lack the ability to fight back. For this reason alone, ALL payments made
    thru PP should ALWAYS be made with a credit card.

The subject PP TOS needs to be redrafted. Such action has been repeatedly suggested
    to PP, but they have done nada about it.

I suspect that the "fix" will involve a new rule mandating that NO item is eligible for
    "seller protection" UNLESS the DC/SC label is printed via PayPal. PP likes to get paid extra
    to solve the problems it creates.

(On this board and others there have been examples of PP finding for the crooked seller
    EVEN when the item was sent to the WRONG ZIP but in the right town/city.)

What makes a "good" seller go bad?

The economy is in the toilet and getting much worse. LOTS of folks are desperate.

Be careful out there.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.

<< <i>Well, tracking # says delivered....one problem...wrong zip code. Opening case with Paypal/Ebay tomorrow. "WOW" an outright crook with 100% feedback and over 300 transactions >>

Why wait until tomorrow?!?!?! I would have done it ASAP today!!!! I am sure the scoundrel has swept the money out of the Paypal account....seems like they would try to do something to protect themselves, as they don't wish to have to refund as their odds of getting the money back from the scammer are slim and none.
    Just tried to open a case on line and not enough time has passed. I will call and talk to someone tomorrow to see if I can get this process started.

They better pull the plug on the scumbag real fast.

PSA-9 1967 Topps Tom Seaver Rookie #581 Well-centered
    Buy It Now
    or Best Offer $2,500.00 Time left:2d 19h 42m

1958 Topps Harmon Killebrew PSA-9 #288 HOF
    Buy It Now
    or Best Offer $2,200.00 Time left:3d 6h 55m

Tiger Woods BGS Pristine 10 Red #'d 274
    Buy It Now
    or Best Offer $3,500.00 Time left:4d 8h 39m

Crimewave in progress.

The filth has only sold a few items in his EBAY "career."

All "buyers" have 100% FB.

Best to look close, when contemplating purchases from
    strangers.
  • I actually had this happen to me. It was with a case of 89 upper deck. It actually was shoe box of 84 commons delivered to a different address in my town. Like said before I live in a small town and the postman knew where it was delivered and got it for me. The good thing was I got my money back. You should be ok with paypal and your credit card.
    Got a name/address of this thief?

I called the person today. Needless to say...it's a horrible situation. The ebay acct. holder was selling stuff for some guy and she freaked immediately when I called and said I purchased some cards. She cried and everything. I think she was legit. This is a serious case of fraud. She told me exactly about withdrawing the money for the guy and he would give her packages to mail. I told her to call the police immediately about 50 times. I think she may be afraid of this guy. She never once said anything bad to me or even interrupted me. I think this is a decent person who has been swindled badly. I told her to not list anything else. She says that people have emailed her with "where's my cards". Ebay rep said on the 3rd I can officially open my case.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    So she's like a consignor or runs something like an "ebay store" where she lists the item with a photo and info provided by a third party. She sells the item, collects the money, withdraws the money and gives it to the third party (minus her fee), the third party gives her a package to ship (with the fake goods). Wow...
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Mickey - just an FYI you CAN lose a case with Paypal if a package is delivered to your zip (or even near your zip) if the delivery address can't be proved.

I won a card that a seller did not ship through PP, but did do DC. DC showed delivery to a different zip completely, so Paypal sided with the seller...2x. You might be good though if the seller didn't use signature confirmation (my item was a $249 purchase...$1 under the required limit for Sig Confirmation).

Good luck.

Pete
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.

Voice Of Experience:

1. Don't let the piece of trash witch con you twice.

2. Emphasize the lack of Sig-Con in your PP claim.

3. Note that other folks have been ripped, too.

As burke23 noted, this SCAM sometimes/often works at PayPal/EBAY.

I have not heard of it working with a credit card company.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So she's like a consignor or runs something like an "ebay store" where she lists the item with a photo and info provided by a third party. She sells the item, collects the money, withdraws the money and gives it to the third party (minus her fee), the third party gives her a package to ship (with the fake goods). Wow... >>

Thats what it sounds like but I am not sure I am buying it... Would it surprise anyone if this was part of the scam?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Voice Of Experience:

1. Don't let the piece of trash witch con you twice.

2. Emphasize the lack of Sig-Con in your PP claim.

3. Note that other folks have been ripped, too.

As burke23 noted, this SCAM sometimes/often works at PayPal/EBAY.

I have not heard of it working with a credit card company. >>

Storm - You are exactly right, especially about #1 in regards to the OP's last post. Not to pile on, but frankly, the OP should not have contacted this con artist in any way, shape or form.

Also what those scammed too often don't realize, is that once they've been targeted as a mark, they could be subject to other scam attempts as well from the same scammer under different guises, or referred to other of the scammer's arch-criminal friends.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't buy her story. It doesn't matter anyway. I definitely would not waste time with her and I would not delay opening disputes, chargebacks, etc.... based on what she may say. She is probably lying and is just trying to delay the inevitable.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
    I'm not delaying anything. Tomorrow will be the 1st day that I am allowed to open a dispute. I've talked to EBAY twice and that is what they told me. As far as communicating with the seller I just did that for my establishing some sort of contact...as the 1st step in the EBAY dispute/problem solving- contacting the seller. That's the last of my communicating with the seller. I can not see a situation where I will not be reimbursed. Almost $2000 worth of cards and no signature...not delivered to the correct address/zip code..etc. EBAY/PAYPAL can be bad; but I've never heard them be that bad.
    I'd like to call her and tell her I have a bridge for sale, maybe she can sell it for me?

It's a multi million dollar bridge, I only want 500.000 for it.

Good for you.
    Steve,
    I will pay you PAYPAL/Gift for it.image
    Mickey

Being serious now, if this person has zero funds in her PP account how does PP get you the money?

They use their money and then go after her? Or do they tell you to seek the refund?

This does suck.

Steve

Good for you.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd like to call her and tell her I have a bridge for sale, maybe she can sell it for me?

It's a multi million dollar bridge, I only want 500.000 for it. >>

If its the Tappen Zee, I already own it. I have a COA and everything. image

Seriously though, Mickey I've been following this thread and I'm sure it will come out in your favor. It is frustrating waiting to start the process though. Good luck.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Steve,
    I don't know; but I would think most if not all crooks have 0 dollars in their PAYPAL account. I would guess that PAYPAL refunds the money and then would have to go after the seller in large amounts such as this. Not to sound over confident....but I do not see any reason why I would not get my money back. If I do not get my money back then there is no buyer protection whatsoever.

Mickey71
  • Mickey, I wish you the best of luck recovering your money , just remember to dot all the i's and cross the t's when filing the claim. I can't see any reason whatsoever that you don't win the case hands down.

my rule of thumb on taking consignments is : product must be in my hands from beginning to end of the auction and I pack & ship the item myself, plus no funds are released until the buyer has left feedback or contacted me letting me know they are happy.

if this seller is telling the truth (which I doubt) , she has just learned one very expensive lesson. jmho
    The new buyer protection is awesome. They refund your money no matter if the buyer has the funds or not. In the past, Paypal could side with the buyer, but tell the buyer that there were no funds in the Paypal account for reimbursement. That doesn't happen anymore.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
    My advise is to be honest and don't blow off the handle with ebay or the seller. I would also make sure to stay on the offensive. In these types of cases, the seller usually doesn't even respond to the dispute and the buyer wins by default. Please remember that ebay may read any communication between you and the seller. I would speak only to ebay and keep it professional.
    >

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    huh. so Lindsay Lohan is in on this. yikes.
    I know that most of us complain....but this could be one of the big reasons that EBAY/PAYPAL has high fees. They probably give out alot of money. I see listings everyday that are 10 times worse than the 2 I bid on. The 1st card I paid for was the 64 Mays PSA 9 that had a buy it now for $850....I thought believable at 1st.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I know that most of us complain....but this could be one of the big reasons that EBAY/PAYPAL has high fees. They probably give out alot of money. I see listings everyday that are 10 times worse than the 2 I bid on. The 1st card I paid for was the 64 Mays PSA 9 that had a buy it now for $850....I thought believable at 1st.

You're correct that PayPal having to pay out for fraud is a reason for higher fees. The problem is that when you considered purchasing these you knew the listings had a high probability of being scams because of the low price. You bought them anyway because you knew that if you used your credit card you'd have protection from losing money. The deal was too good to be true and you would not have bought them if you were putting your own money at risk. But when you bought them you put PayPal at risk if the seller was able to hit and run and empty the account. Paypal has made it harder for newer sellers to do this but it only stops stupid scammers and not the ones who know what they're doing. There's no shortage of these scams because lots of people will jump on these bargains knowing their money isn't at risk.

<< <i>I know that most of us complain....but this could be one of the big reasons that EBAY/PAYPAL has high fees. They probably give out alot of money. I see listings everyday that are 10 times worse than the 2 I bid on. The 1st card I paid for was the 64 Mays PSA 9 that had a buy it now for $850....I thought believable at 1st.

You're correct that PayPal having to pay out for fraud is a reason for higher fees. The problem is that when you considered purchasing these you knew the listings had a high probability of being scams because of the low price. You bought them anyway because you knew that if you used your credit card you'd have protection from losing money. The deal was too good to be true and you would not have bought them if you were putting your own money at risk. But when you bought them you put PayPal at risk if the seller was able to hit and run and empty the account. Paypal has made it harder for newer sellers to do this but it only stops stupid scammers and not the ones who know what they're doing. There's no shortage of these scams because lots of people will jump on these bargains knowing their money isn't at risk. >>

I could be wrong but I think with certain types of sales with certain types of sellers, PayPal places around a 21 day hold on the funds.

Storm may know more about this.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I could be wrong but I think with certain types of sales with certain types of sellers, PayPal places around a 21 day hold on the funds.

Storm may know more about this. >>

this is somewhat correct , paypal requires feedback from the buyer in some cases . I bought a couple high dollar items and the seller sent me an email asking to leave feedback as it would get the funds released quicker
    OK, I've never purchased/sold any high dollar items (maybe that's where the scams come in), but I have a hypothetical situation.

1. Seller has a PSA 9 Mays and sends it to Buyer with DC/Sig/all that.
    2. Buyer then opens envelope -- and although the card is there, falsely claims it wasn't -- and says he got a Willie Mays Aiken.
    3. Buyer disputes charges, and according to what I've read, is not responsible and will be refunded money.

True?
  • SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭

<< <i>OK, I've never purchased/sold any high dollar items (maybe that's where the scams come in), but I have a hypothetical situation.

2. Buyer then opens envelope -- and although the card is there, falsely claims it wasn't -- and says he got a Willie Mays Aiken.
    3. Buyer disputes charges, and according to what I've read, is not responsible and will be refunded money.

True? >>

Yeah, I think so, though a buyer with a history of such claims may get cut off.

If there wasn't a possibility of an irate seller showing up at a buyer's doorstep, I think these scams would happen a lot more often.
    KbKards,
    One thing you're wrong about....I do understand that paying for anything there is a risk. The 1st auction did not look to bad. The other one had some red flags for sure. But, of course I used my CC and PAYPAL to be covered in the event that something happens. Most really good deals for the buyer are done with some form of risk.

Mickey71
    This sort of scam is nothing new. This hasn't been discussed in a number of years here because who knows what happened to this rat...but "Toni's Cards" operating out of England and then Italy, and probably actually neither, used to have a fairly nice looking website with PSA graded cards for about 1/2 the price they actively sold for on ebay - the POS conned a fair amount of people out of their money.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, I've never purchased/sold any high dollar items (maybe that's where the scams come in), but I have a hypothetical situation.

True? >>

I've often thought about the same thing. Has this ever happened to anyone?
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Evening,

You know in this conversation, and the whole thread....lets keep one thing in Perspective, Mickey doesn't have his money back in his hand yet. I am sure this will work out, but I will be honest with you...With Paypal involved...I would be scared to death, the RICO A$$wipes could choose to change the rules on you NOW!!!!!!

Seriously

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!