Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In the Scheme of things, is the 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln cent rare?

It's always been one of my favorite coins. Difficult to pinpoint why.
Do you consider this error to be rare? Scarce? Or, simply desirable?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Not rare, but it is desirable for how dramatic it is and how available it is (especially in high grades).

For me, rare coins have (far) fewer than 100 known pieces, and there are thousands of '55 DDO's out there
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is very popular because the doubling is very pronounced and can be seen without a magnifying glass.

It isn't rare. I suspect that a very high percentage of them survived.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Stone. It is one of the coolest doubled die coins in existence, and it definitely made collecting varieties more popular. But my definition of rarity is listed on my website:

"[discussing Bust coins] . . . Third, they are rare. The 1909-SVDB cent is often called "rare". But in less than one year, you could buy enough to have a roll of them. There are several Bust coins for which if the entire quantity in existence is put together, it would not make up a roll. Now that's rare."

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sort of like the MCMVII High Relief Saint---not particularly rare but very popular and always in high demand resulting in high prices. That old supply and demand thingy.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rare numerically,
    or rare as in hard to find one on the market?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>rare numerically,
    or rare as in hard to find one on the market? >>

Aren't they the same? If I can go to a major show and buy a dozen HR Saints or a dozen 1909-svdb cents, they ain't rare---they are just expensive. Don't confuse rare with expensive.

• Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    in my opinion the 1955 doubled die is desirable where as

the 1958 doubled die is rare

• Options

<< <i>in my opinion the 1955 doubled die is desirable where as

image >>

Love the look of that 1958. Absolutely the epitome of rarity (as I barely recall these existing!).
    Interesting too how LIBERTY and IN GOD WE TRUST is so incredibly doubled yet the date isn't (or, is weakly so).
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all rare, just like the 1916-D Mercury Dime isn't rare.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>in my opinion the 1955 doubled die is desirable where as

image >>

I have never liked the 1958 doubled die. The rims that nearly spill off the edge of the coin. There are fake 1955 DD coins
    that seem more authentic than this piece.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    questor54questor54 Posts: 1,351
    No. No. No.

Are my answers to your questions too terse?
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even a lot of non-collectors know about the '55 double die cent.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Not rare. You can buy one pretty much anytime you want to lay out the dollars.

Rare is a coin that you scour the country for, never see, and have it show up after a decade of searching. (Which doesn't necessarily means it's valuable...)
  • Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Not trying to hijack this thread, apologies to the OP....but this is where the importance/significance of the 2009-p Lincoln double dies come in....not rare perhaps, but interesting....especially the wddr-006 ddo 009 skeleton finger....found in only one dated mint box and within approximately a four hour period on 4/23....it would be interesting to compare the actual population numbers from the '55 to the skeleton finger variety....that would help to project the future values of these varieties.....only time will tell how this plays out....
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No
    No
    Yes image >>

Tom

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to hijack this thread, apologies to the OP....but this is where the importance/significance of the 2009-p Lincoln double dies come in....not rare perhaps, but interesting....especially the wddr-006 ddo 009 skeleton finger....found in only one dated mint box and within approximately a four hour period on 4/23....it would be interesting to compare the actual population numbers from the '55 to the skeleton finger variety....that would help to project the future values of these varieties.....only time will tell how this plays out.... >>

I would disagree. The 2009 varities don't have the visibility and easy of seeing to compare to the 55 DDO.
    With the 55 DDO, one can see it. It's RIGHT THERE! With the 2009, good luck. Get a loupe. Too many to bother with as well.
    So, keep your hope up, but don't be surprised if they never become comparable.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not trying to hijack this thread, apologies to the OP....but this is where the importance/significance of the 2009-p Lincoln double dies come in....not rare perhaps, but interesting....especially the wddr-006 ddo 009 skeleton finger....found in only one dated mint box and within approximately a four hour period on 4/23....it would be interesting to compare the actual population numbers from the '55 to the skeleton finger variety....that would help to project the future values of these varieties.....only time will tell how this plays out.... >>

I would disagree. The 2009 varities don't have the visibility and easy of seeing to compare to the 55 DDO.
    With the 55 DDO, one can see it. It's RIGHT THERE! With the 2009, good luck. Get a loupe. Too many to bother with as well.
    So, keep your hope up, but don't be surprised if they never become comparable. >>

The 2009 cent varieties are very minor and are well on their way to numismatic oblivion.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

So, keep your hope up, but don't be surprised if they never become comparable. >>

They also do not have that "IN YOUR FACE" doubling that literally ANYBODY, non-collectors included, can see with out having a guided tour.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I have to say the other cool thing about the 1955 is that there are already two 5s there, so you have four 5s image
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have to say the other cool thing about the 1955 is that there are already two 5s there, so you have four 5s image >>

Not rare, just pricy. I had to settle for a 72
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say ,Yes, in a large sense you can consider them rare. With an estimated issue of about 24,000, add in a slight attrition, there are still at least 15 to 20,000 out ther. since they were not saved in roll quantity, at GEM they are astonishingly rare.

Of course the term Rare must be tempered with overall collector numbers since we are talking about lincoln cents.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Depends how you look at it.
    Sure there are some at any big coin show, it's not hard to buy one.

But try finding one, it's not likely (even though a few members have found one). Just imagine if you took it as a mission to find one in the wild it might never happen.

In high grades they're not common.

There's probably more fakes/copies than real ones.

Compared to many other Lincolns there's less of them, I bet there are dozens of S-VDBs for every 55 DDO.
    I'd say it's rare enough that there's a lot more people that want them than there are examples to go around.

Ed
  • Options

<< <i> There's probably more fakes/copies than real ones. >>

Is that documented, or your feelings...
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1955 DDO is "available' but it is still rarer than the 1909-S VDB.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the word scarce should be used more often as an in-between descriptive word instead of the overused word rare."
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Does this apply:

Sheldon Rarity Scale

Rarity Description
    R1 Common, readily available
    R2 Less common - Available at most shows, but in limited quantity
    R3 Scarce - somewhat difficult to find, only a few likely at larger shows
    R4 Very scarce - may or may not find at larger shows/auctions
    R5 Rare - unlikely more than 5 at shows or auctions each year
    R6 Very rare - Almost never seen, only one may be offered for sale in a year’s time
    R7 Prohibitively rare - one may be offered for sale once every few years
    R8 Unique, or nearly so
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desirable - there are about 600 of them in the Heritage archives, c/w 2350 1909-S VDB's.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>rare numerically,
    or rare as in hard to find one on the market? >>

Aren't they the same? If I can go to a major show and buy a dozen HR Saints or a dozen 1909-svdb cents, they ain't rare---they are just expensive. Don't confuse rare with expensive. >>

yes and no.

availability does come into play.

there's 10 Unc. jackie robinsons on eBay,
    there's only 3 Unc. van buren's liberty.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>The 1955 DDO is "available' but it is still rarer than the 1909-S VDB. >>

this is what I'm talking about.

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i> There's probably more fakes/copies than real ones. >>

<< <i>Is that documented, or your feelings... >>

Look at ebay, there are always copies (sold as copies) plus fakes.
    Not documented but I bet if someone tracked the total of all the copies sold on ebay over the years it's a lot!
    I've also known of many bought as real that come back from grading as questionable authenticity.
    There are a lot of fakes.

Ed
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    It depends on your scheme. If your scheme is say assay commission medals, then the 1955 DDO is COMMON. If your scheme is the number of hydrogen atoms in the universe, then it is RARE.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    love the 55 DDO because of how apparent the doubling is......you can see it with the naked eye, don't need a microscope like some other DDOs out there imageimage

That said, I think they are scarce but not sure if rare is the right word.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1955 DDO is "available' but it is still rarer than the 1909-S VDB. >>

The demand for the 1909-SVDB is far greater since it's needed for a complete set of Lincoln cents while the 1955 DDO is not required similar to the 1922 Plain.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is there any perticular mintage numbers to the 1955 double die cents?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>is there any perticular mintage numbers to the 1955 double die cents? >>

Yep....look a few posts above...Ambro stated ~24,000. These were found before release but due to conditions and the need to get cents out there, a whole bag was shipped out.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    To attest to how cool and popular the 55 DDO is, check out everything you can buy at http://www.cafepress.com/1955ddo

What other coin is this popular?

• Options

<< <i>What other coin is this popular? >>

The Standish Barry Three pence of course...where ya been??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What other coin is this popular? >>

The Standish Barry Three pence of course...where ya been?? >>

Mmm, it has potential, but James Calhoun may need a popularity campaign! His Wikipedia page is way too short and doesn't even mention the coin! Anyone know why Calhoun is on the coin? How did Barry and Calhoun know each other? Calhoun didn't become mayor until 1794 and the coin is dated 1790 so what was Calhoun doing in 1790?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>don't need a microscope like some other DDOs out there imageimage >>

If I interpret this literally then all folks need to throw out their loupe's since its nothing more than a hand held microscope.

Yes there are doubled dies out there that are extremely minor and are "best" viewed in a light controlled environment which can be impossible using a hand held loupe but that does not diminish the fact that they are true doubled dies and for some collectors, highly collectible.

I guess I kinda get tired of hearing the constant dissing about microscopes which I view as an essential piece of equipment for ANY coin collector.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...they're only rare when I don't have one. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>don't need a microscope like some other DDOs out there imageimage >>

If I interpret this literally then all folks need to throw out their loupe's since its nothing more than a hand held microscope.

Yes there are doubled dies out there that are extremely minor and are "best" viewed in a light controlled environment which can be impossible using a hand held loupe but that does not diminish the fact that they are true doubled dies and for some collectors, highly collectible.

I guess I kinda get tired of hearing the constant dissing about microscopes which I view as an essential piece of equipment for ANY coin collector. >>

good point.

if the loupe idea is taken to grading, then all grading should be done with the naked eye.

• Options
    Would you place the scarcity of this issue above that of the 1972/72 and the 1995/95?

Silly question: What are the doubled dies within the Lincoln cent series that are recognized by collectors?
    Partial list: 1917/17 added? 1969?
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...the doubled die holds a certain mystique for the collector. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

Depending on the severity to which you collect it could be rare or not rare at all. I got my first one not long ago ms64 RB. I cherish it and it makes me happy when I look at it

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Doubledieanotherday .... Welcome aboard. Enjoy your coin, it is a special one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, not rare, scarcer in higher grades with decent amount of red, but very popular . However, in gem full red, different deal, quite scarce

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Doubledieanotherday said:
    Depending on the severity to which you collect it could be rare or not rare at all. I got my first one not long ago ms64 RB. I cherish it and it makes me happy when I look at it

Congratulations. Welcome. Nice job of looking up this thread and posting! 😉

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2021 7:44AM

The 1955 double die cent marketing wise is just one of the best promoted coins along with the 1943 copper.

At 33,000+ known it's not rare by any means and even in high grade can be bought at any hour of the day on the internet.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file