Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dealers who sell cleaned coins

DesertLizardDesertLizard Posts: 703
edited August 7, 2023 9:28AM in U.S. Coin Forum
I am no expert but I see alot of raw coins out on the auctions being sold by people with high feedback levels [ in the 100s]. I would assume they know a thing or two about numismatics but I see they auction off coins which have been cleaned and do state so in their auction. What's up with that? Why do they do it? Is a small profit worth losing their reputation?

Whenever I see s a dealer auction cleaned coins I automatically put it down in my notebook and move on. I dont care how many coins he has i want. I assume all of his material like his ethics are suspect. He will never ever get my business.

What is also galling is some of them act as if they did not know. Well, if they did not know they should be out of business for incompetence.

I must emphasize these "dealers" are mainly on line people and a few show table dealers.

Comments

• Options
    if you want to see the center of the cleaned coin universe, you will arrive when you get to the ft liquordale coin club show. there's one guy there that harshly cleans every single coin he gets his paws on and apparently has passed on this fine trait to other club members.
  • Options
    There is certainly a place in the coin market for cleaned coins, just like their is a place in the Comic market for restored comics. I don't have a problem with someone selling a clean coin or two as long as he isn't the one cleaning them, and they are clearly labeled on his auctions. I would like to think that most dealers who have any sense, would try to avoid cleaned coins for the most part except for Key and Semi key coins, which still have a value even when cleaned. Run of the mill common cleaned coins etc shouldn't be touch unless they want a reputation like Paul Simms!
  • Options
    Oops!

I have a typo when i started the thread....

It should have said there are dealers who sell cleaned coins and do NOT disclose the fact.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Well, that's entirely different....
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    once again the krankster is right image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I have read somewhere that 90% of the Copper Coinage has been cleaned at one time or another. This also includes coins in all slabs. Also I will bet that probably about the same percentage pertains too Silver Coinage also. Heck the Modern Guys give Quick Dips to get rid of Haze which is a type of cleaning.

Instead of putting Dealers in your book who sell cleaned coins you better seek out the few that do not sell cleaned coins. I wish you much luck with your search.

Was typing this when the New Twist was Added to this Thread.....image
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desert Lizard - Dealers are just trying to broker coins that people may or may not want. They are just selling coins, unfortunately most of which have been messed with or are cleaned.

I find it odd that some collectors will pay handsomely for a piece that turns my stomach. I love dark circulated coins that probably make most members on this BB hurl chunks. We are all different with different tastes. Dealers I believe offer the coins without judgement and allow us the buyer to purchase or not. Who are they to ultimately decide what is wholly original or not?

The trick is to find a reputable dealer that knows what you like and allows returns for pieces that don't work for you.

I do admit that I sometimes get very Irked when a dealer promotes a coin as "ORIGINAL" when it clearly is not. Long time dealers know what is original or not and shouldn't tout it if it ain't so! However, I am not bothered by them not disclosing a cleaning. If they don't offer a return privilege then they are not worth my time....EVER!

That is most of the fun of collecting for me; it is learning the look of an original or cleaned coin and then looking through the graveyard of harshly cleaned coins for that one in a thousand piece.

Tyler
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭
    I once saw a sign at a table that said...........

"Please do not tell me my prices are too high........
    I find these coins, I sort them, wash them, scrub off all the gunk,
    polish em up and stick em in the holders. The extra I charge is
    to help defray the costs of my labor."

I personally, have no problem collecting cleaned coins for my raw sets, esp if it's a "hard-to-find-cheap" coin. I don't have extremely deep pockets most of the time, so my coin dollars must be stretched as far as possible. I do try to avoid the cleaned coins, but if it's the best I can afford, I can live with it.
    imageimage

• Options
    What is so unethical about this auction.My closed auction.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    What's so bad about cleaned coins if your up front about it? Collectors once wanted cleaned coins, look at all all the Bust Halfs. I have a 1893-CC XF+ Morgan that someone cleaned decades ago. It has now toned a dull gun gray. I am thinking about dipping it to regain it's luster.......I might just do that.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a big problem, why we have the grading services.

Also rubber checks; a dealer told me today about huge amounts of bad paper he had come up against over the years; should be criminally prosecuted when the checks are large and it goes on uncorrected for a period of time.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I can see a seller that occasionally has a coin listed and doesn't know that it is cleaned. What bothers me are sellers that have thousands of coins listed (many with probs) and their only description is judge by the pictures. i have seen one that sells both slabs and raw, where obviously the cleaned coins in the slabs have to be consistent with the slab label, e.g., cleaned; but somehow every raw coin is problem free (even though the pics suggest most of them are not). For me personally, if something looks even slightly suspect, I pass... and that doesn't even account for doctored images....

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2023 5:38PM

I’m moving grandpas penny collection from the ole blue folders ( keeping) and moving to a quality album. For this project there’s a number of coins going terminal. I’m honoring his finds from his childhood. I’m cleaning the green rot off and smutz on several. In this case cleaning is a respectable way to deal with coins that have tremendous personal value but aren’t worth enough to pay for tpg conservation. Enjoying his legacy is the important thing.
    So soak and attempt to get the crapola off. Thanks 🙏

As long as the seller discloses the cleaning or possibility of it. I’m good

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a fact of life that a large number of coins have been cleaned. I have no problem with someone who trades in them as long as he (she) calls a spade a spade. The market will determine the value of these problem coins.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:
    in 20 years after the tpg go bust cleaned coins will be ok once again. the cleaned coin ruse is a ploy by tpg to get you to use them tor their invaluable info. i call "you know what

In 20 years from what? Twenty years from the origination of this thread (which has passed) or 20 years from now when you resurrected it? Once again I ask, why do you keep resurrecting 20+ year old threads? You never answered before, but I am curious. Inquiring minds want to know.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2023 10:05PM

Conservation of coins -

A large percentage of coins probably dipped / conserved. Simply an industry wide practice. Newly purchased collector coin Uncs many need a good dip. This improves their sales demand / just a normal part of the biz.

To me a “cleaned” coin has surface abrasions (like erasure marks).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

There is one Dealer who I've seen at many local coin shows, and I walk right by him every time because every coin in his display case is Polished and cleaned. I don't like to judge but cannot see how he sells and feels good with himself. I for one could not do it.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2023 10:42AM

@DesertLizard said:
    Oops!

It should have said there are dealers who sell cleaned coins and do NOT disclose the fact.

you're forgiven

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem coins are still coins and have some value to some buyers. It is not dishonest if they disclose it or (for raw coins) image the coin sufficient to see the problems clearly (though still should note it).

There are guys whose entire inventories appear so uniformly messed with that you know they are the culprits. They might all have been whizzed, harshly scrubbed, dipped, or artificially toned.

You are doing yourself a disservice by wholesale dismissing a dealer's entire inventory because they have some cleaned coins.

The ones I skip, in frustration, are though who juice their images with absurdly high contrast or have blurry Google Earth quality images.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a BIG problem with folks who buy details coins, crack them out, and then sell them as problem free coins.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:

@DesertLizard said:
    Oops!

you're forgiven

It was an old post. Maybe he meant "yore forgiven".

As in mistakes of yore. :)

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:
    in 20 years after the tpg go bust cleaned coins will be ok once again. the cleaned coin ruse is a ploy by tpg to get you to use them tor their invaluable info. i call "you know what

If collectors didn’t care whether coins were cleaned or not, the TGPs wouldn’t care either.

• Options
    steve76020steve76020 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭

well reading posts here its obvious who is selling cleaned coins and probably dont say so

• Options

my point was in the 1960s and70s a cleaned coin wasnt a bad thing and then these guys step inand tell you just how worthless a cleaned coin is. i dont need someone to tell me if a coin is worth buying. if i want it i will buy it regardless what someone says.. have a very nice day.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2023 1:28PM

you are so informed btw that still happens

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

@steve76020 said:
    you are so informed btw that still happens

Yes, albeit on a much lesser scale. Note my use of the word "routinely" in my previous comment.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well @DeplorableDan , next time you have problem coins rather than putting them up for no reserve auctions on eBay I guess you can just sell them to Steve for full retail as he doesn't particularly care.

• Options

please leave my name out of your mouth

• Options

but dan you can run them by me you never know

• Options

and you are right i dont

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I buy a coin collection to resell, I make sure to destroy all cleaned coins so I do not destroy my reputation by selling them. Sure, someone who can’t afford a pristine key date may have loved to have a nice cleaned example of it, but I sure don’t want to risk losing a customer like the original poster.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say that all dealers who sell coins sometimes sell cleaned coins. “Improperly cleaned” is different than “cleaned”. Beyond that, some coins are cleaned so lightly that it can be easily overlooked. It’s not like there’s a clear dividing line between cleaned and not cleaned. Dipping is considered “cleaning” by some and perfectly acceptable by others (and at times TPGs and CAC).

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

As a dealer, I have some thoughts on the subject of cleaning.

The key is disclosure. When it comes to condition, If the customer knows exactly what they are getting and buys the coin how could anyone be critical of the dealer for selling them the coin. I learned early on as a dealer that it is not my job to tell my customers that they should not collect something they like. I even remember reading a thread about someone on this board doing a type set where every coin was holed. Many on here said it was a cool idea.

I also want to point out that when it comes to rare gold coins, it can be almost impossible to fine some examples that are not cleaned to some degree. The TPG recognizes this, and I have seen many rare gold coins (think "o" "d' "c" "cc") that were cleaned but still sitting in a straight graded holder.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without reading all the posts in this thread, what would you like them to do with them? Cleaned coins are in most all collections of older coins. They need to get rid of them to get more inventory . IF some cleaned coins are in a liberty seated dime collection, they have to purchase them with the collection. Most circulated coins dated in the 1800's have been cleaned in some way or another. No dealer wants to deal in cleaned coins exclusively. It is part of the business, every dealer has bought and sold cleaned coins.
    I just sold a cleaned AU 1870-CC quarter for over $22,000. In an NGC cleaned AU-50 slab. Key coins sell, cleaned or not.

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    Without reading all the posts in this thread, what would you like them to do with them? Cleaned coins are in most all collections of older coins. They need to get rid of them to get more inventory . IF some cleaned coins are in a liberty seated dime collection, they have to purchase them with the collection. Most circulated coins dated in the 1800's have been cleaned in some way or another. No dealer wants to deal in cleaned coins exclusively. It is part of the business, every dealer has bought and sold cleaned coins.
    I just sold a cleaned AU 1870-CC quarter for over $22,000. In an NGC cleaned AU-50 slab. Key coins sell, cleaned or not.

I have noticed all CC coins sell well even harshly cleaned examples, assuming they are priced per condition, there is a lot of demand for them.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

Here's one where you kind of have to read the whole thread. The OP later said he meant to say dealers who DON'T disclose cleaning. That makes more sense but the original post is still there, unedited, and it makes his point seem confusing.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a 21 year old post that got revived on August 4, 2023 by a seller of some bitter fruit. That's where the current discussion really started.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once bought some Peace Dollars and unknowingly, they were all cleaned. To my surprise when years later, I sent one in for grading to have a wonderful label returned that said CLEANED COIN Grrrrr...do we as buyers have to ask that question, "Have these coins been cleaned?" Or better yet, learn the difference between a cleaned coin and uncleaned coin is.

This discussion has been closed.