Home U.S. Coin Forum

newp buried gold ; 1854-s double eagle. opinions please !

picked up a nice piece of early gold today, comes from a hoard of buried gold coins. please give me your opinion of the grade and do you think there is any chance that pcgs will grade the coin ? thanks !!

on hold

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it will grade, but I like the colors. Do you know any more about the hoard?
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    Genuine - Environmental Damage or Questionable Color
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Genuine holder for sure.
  • deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    all i know is that the hoard was found in missouri
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Send it to NCS and it will be a stunner AU58
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like the double eagles recovered from the S S Cental America before they were conserved and became MS65's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice piece, I think that it would get a genuine holder for environmental damage.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Nice coin. I would send it in to get cleaned up.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Don't clean it. It's circulated and the surface copper has been eaten out by its time in the ground... it would look pretty bad if stripped.
  • djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    I think it looks sweet image
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I heard about this Hoard from Missouri last year at my dealers shop. He told me they when digging a foundation for a new home. The work had to stop once gold discs started littering the ground. I want to say there was a few hundred of them. They stopped working for a few weeks while metal detecting the rest of the property. The new house was placed directly where an old house used to sit.

Pretty cool piece if you ask me.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    absolutely amazing what is still in the ground !
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would get some documentation confirming the source, then send it to PCGS. Get a Genuine holder with a "Missouri find" or whatever they decide on the holder.

Don't you dare clean it.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭
    54-S is one of those special dates because of it's lower denom gold cousins........i absolutely love the date!

www.brunkauctions.com

• TevaTeva Posts: 830
    Was this a recent find? I would very much like to hear
    details in general term of coarseimage
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! I'll bet somebody had the adrenaline rush of their life!

Maybe NCS-NGC for that? IF you want it "conserved", that is. It has character the way it is.

PCGS would almost certainly "genuine" it, I agree.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>54-S is one of those special dates because of it's lower denom gold cousins........i absolutely love the date! >>

It's special because it's the first year of the San Francisco mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks like crap. I like it! >>

Beat me to it!

It's crusty, filthy and has a great story and it's 157 years old. The world does NOT need another stripped out and dipped Liberty head $20.

Leave it alone, it's a very cool item.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Maybe some one else can confirm the story I was told. Or maybe it was another find all together? Too much coincidence I think. I might call my old b&m dealer and see what he remembers about it.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought an 1899 double eagle that was found by one of my metal detecting buddy's metal detecting buddy, just north of here. It was well worn down to about VF, as I recall. Maybe XF at most. It was a neat piece.

I've never been so lucky. Another buddy of mine (Steve Smith, aka "Millennium" here on CU) found a lovely high grade 1907 $10 Liberty and a 1781 Spanish escudo down on the waterfront here. TWO gold coins, centuries apart in time- the only two he's found in 30-some years of detecting, and he got 'em both on the same site! He said there was lots of lead slag in the ground so the place was a hassle to hunt. As I remember, he also got a lovely Type 1 SLQ there (that one was a 1917, naturally).

I hunted the same area and found a smashed 1980s-vintage digital watch and zip-o-la besides that. Oh, maybe a brown crusty clad quarter, too. Yee ha.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Genuine - Environmental Damage or Questionable Color

This coin tests my limits of appreciation for originality. The look doesn't do much for me.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat gold, don't be so hung up on plastic - the coin can be appreciated for what it is - gold with a mysterious past. Cheers, RickO
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the "toning" looks like rust stains.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the toning.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Beat me to it!

It's crusty, filthy and has a great story and it's 157 years old. The world does NOT need another stripped out and dipped Liberty head $20.

Leave it alone, it's a very cool item. >>

I agree. As it is -- yes, it has environmental damage. But that is unusual on a gold coin, and as it is it tells a story. It is special the way it is. It isn't to everyone's taste, but I and several other people who have posted like the look of it.

If you "conserve" it, it will disappear into anonymity along with the tens of thousands of other fugly $20's that have been cleaned over the years, and few people will even give it a second look.

If we put a coin like that in our display case at a major show (as it is), many people will ask to see it and will want to know how it got that way.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin is an example of where the copper toning (stains) have gone too far. You could send it to NCS, and they may or may not mess with it. I think that spot at 12 k on the reverse has gone too far; if it’s removed there will be a “hole” in the surface. At any rate NCS could "jack it up" for a while, and a couple of years later the copper stains will probably return.

I'd leave it alone and enjoy it if you like this look, or you could sell it to one of those collectors who are in the "crusty" crowd. I love the date because it came from the first year of the San Francisco mint when things there are about as primitive as it got of a 19th century U.S. mint. If it had been a private company in modern times, the feds would have had a field day with employees getting sick on the acid fumes in the place.

I suppose the hoard aspect makes this coin interesting to some, but I’ve never been a fan of “salvage condition.” In other words, I’d never pay thousands of dollars for a crusty, pitted half dollar in a fancy wooden box with "papers" that was salvaged from a shipwreck.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you clean it, I will cry for 5 straight minutes.. it's beautiful just how it is.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • It's one of the gold pieces they suppositly found from that bullcrap show about jesse james that he buried or should i say what the searchers buried just for the show..The show was a joke
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm holding the coin in my hands now, and I am confident that it would conserve into a choice AU - while the coin has developed a lot of rust and crust, gold doesn't corrode. All of the staining is sitting on the surface of the coin. That being said, anyone who would "conserve" this coin would be missing the point. It is a terrific piece of history, and ultimately will wind up with someone who appreciates it for what it is. That someone may be me - I really like the piece.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm holding the coin in my hands now, and I am confident that it would conserve into a choice AU - while the coin has developed a lot of rust and crust, gold doesn't corrode. All of the staining is sitting on the surface of the coin. That being said, anyone who would "conserve" this coin would be missing the point. It is a terrific piece of history, and ultimately will wind up with someone who appreciates it for what it is. That someone may be me - I really like the piece. >>

Gold does not corrode under normal conditions, but copper does and this piece is made of 10% copper. As to how deep the stuff goes, I don't know how you can know that it is only on the surface. I've seen conserved SS Central America $20 gold coins look like the devil after a few years.

I'd leave it alone, but that's just me. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A slightly larger photo:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very kool find... I like those copper stains on that piece. Brings out the originality of the coin. NCS does a remarkable job on these, if you decide to choose that route. A great discussion piece too. image
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 54-S gold mint set looking like that would be a pretty cool "Box of 5"!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave showed me that coin at the Baltimore show last weekend... a very cool looking piece of history.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is, that the staining is not from the copper. It was probably burried in a container that was composed of iron like a tobacco tin. The staining is most likely rust.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file