Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legend Coin Descriptions - what can we make of them?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
Doesn't it seem like the guys (and gals) over at Legend are constantly in awe of their inventory? Seems to me that most coins at that price point are quite nice by default, and warrant no additional dumbfoundedness.

Simply put, reading their website it would seem that 95% of their inventory is jaw-dropping, and the other 5% is merely amazing.

Just once I would like to read a humble and forthright description of a coin on their site, saving high accolades for the true "freaks".

For instance, a very nice MS65 seated dollar might be described as: Very white in appearance with attractive luster, giving way to light haze. Very original patination. Few marks as expected for the grade, not readily visible without a loupe save for a few contact marks on the reverse above the eagle's head.

Or a particularly nice proof cent's description could read: In hand, presents as a nearly perfect coin, with no noticeable flaws or haze. Strong magnification yields no mentionable marks or spots, save for a small scattering of carbon, nearly impossible to discern. An outstanding piece.

Just imagine the same coins described on their site.

edited to add: I have no real issue with Legend other than the fact that I don't really know what to take from their printed descriptions. I really like the quality of their inventory and what that says about their dealer philosophy. They really do a great job finding great coins!

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy the hype, not the plastic. image
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    It's their schtick.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options

<< <i>Seems to me that most coins at that price point are quite nice by default, and warrant no additional dumbfoundedness. >>

I don't know about you, but I have seem some expensive coins that are not quite nice, by default or otherwise.

merse

• Options
    I would not comment unless you have seen the coins. Many of the coins they sell end up in the #1 sets.

They are famous at shows and especially auctions for paying more than anyone for the best stuff.

When they had the Sonnier colored dollars they called every one a "monster"-and I do not think anyone who saw every coin would disagree.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about you, but this coin looks like it has a "A MONSTER PARTIAL RAINBOW! " to me:

and this one looks "ULTRA HIGH END AND AWESOME LOOKING! "

etc.

As always, you must be the judge and be happy with your coins, but many really do live up to the hype.
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Matt - In the mid-90s Legend was one of the first dealers to recognize the potential of the Internet. They had a successful website up and running while most others were still trying to figure out what the Internet was about. Part of their success has always been the way they describe and promote their inventory. I have never had a problem with their descriptions because - as the saying goes - "it ain't bragging if it is true". During my years as a collector and as a dealer I was always impressed with the quality of the coins that Legend offered. The coins speak for themselves.

PS - this is not a commerical or an endorsement as there are many fine dealers out there (and some not so fine). Just telling it how I see it.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, they are in the business to SELL coins. What do you want??

Do you remember that episode of The Office where it was kids day, and the children were shocked that Dunder-Mifflin actually marked up paper before selling it?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree that their description are usually pretty accurate as they are selling very nice quality coins, I am really turned off by their repeated use of somewhat misleading auction information in their listings.

For example, take a look at the 1865-S $20 gold in PCGS MS63 they currently have listed. They claim "the last one to sell in major public auction brought 13,800.00 10/2010 Heritage." That information along with their asking price of $13,950.00 makes the coin sound like a relative bargain, right? However, the exact coin just sold at the Goldberg pre-Long Beach auction for $12,650 ($11,000 + BP). Perhaps Legend doesn't consider the Goldbergs to be putting on a major public auction??

I've seen them do the same thing in the past where they omit the data from the auction they bought the coin at (even when that auction was a big Heritage auction). I don't disagree with the quality of their coins or their right to make a modest profit on them. However, their somewhat misleading use of past auction history to justify their asking prices like definitely turns me off a little bit.
  • Options
    100 years from now the Legend folks will be looked at as some of the real 'characters' of American numismatics - much in the same way we view B. Max Mehl and Farran Zerbe, etc.
  • Options
    OK, OK. All comments well taken. I bought one of my favorite coins from them, and it was fantastic. The only reason I let it go it was the chance to 5x the value in a trade, a choice which I still question.

But that's neither here nor there. I guess I just prefer more of a "straight talk" approach that doesn't cheapen itself by grandstanding. But that's not even what bothers me. What bothers me is my inability to gauge the true "worthiness" of a coin by their description, as all are ranked with equal "specialness" bringing them all to an even par.

I realize this is a "me" problem.

edited for punctuation
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For example, take a look at the 1865-S $20 gold in PCGS MS63 they currently have listed. They claim "the last one to sell in major public auction brought 13,800.00 10/2010 Heritage." That information along with their asking price of $13,950.00 makes the coin sound like a relative bargain, right? However, the exact coin just sold at the Goldberg pre-Long Beach auction for $12,650 ($11,000 + BP). Perhaps Legend doesn't consider the Goldbergs to be putting on a major public auction?? >>

I'm shocked. You are saying Legend buys coins out of auctions, marks them up 10%, and fails to disclose that?

This is front page of Coin World stuff. Someone needs to out these guys, and fast.

What we really need is a law that forces the sales of history of every coin to be disclosed whenever it changes hands.
  • Options

<< <i>
    I'm shocked. You are saying Legend buys coins out of auctions, marks them up 10%, and fails to disclose that?

This is front page of Coin World stuff. Someone needs to out these guys, and fast.

What we really need is a law that forces the sales of history of every coin to be disclosed whenever it changes hands. >>

Of course not. And I clearly said I didn't have a problem with that.

But their description including the price of the last one to sell at auction is not accurate. I just feel that if they are not going to give the correct information, they probably shouldn't give any information.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, it seems to me like a fairly petty thread. They offer expensive coins; they offer nice coins. Those two qualities do not have to go hand-in-hand. If they believe they have nice coins then they should describe them as such and let the educated potential buyer make the final decision. Heck, read any of the descriptions of the coins for sale on my site and you might think that I puff my inventory, too, but I'm just being honest about the attributes of the coins and will not compromise simply to add coins to the site.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    All the coins I buy from legend are remarkable and most have upgraded, some to top pops. Then again a lot of my own buys have too, which many of them I found out I outbid legend...

Take a look at my type set and you'll see many. Please ignore the fillers, i cant break the filler habit image

Anyhow their descriptions are very good, because their coins are killer!
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps Legend doesn't consider the Goldbergs to be putting on a major public auction?? >>

Perhaps Legend doesn't consider the results of that auction to be representative of the coin's value, and therefore, didn't reference the sale?
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The premise of this thread is quite petty.
    What can we make of it? A mountain out of a molehill.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

What we really need is a law that forces the sales of history of every coin to be disclosed whenever it changes hands. >>

Of course not. And I clearly said I didn't have a problem with that.

But their description including the price of the last one to sell at auction is not accurate. I just feel that if they are not going to give the correct information, they probably shouldn't give any information. >>

Illini,
    I always enjoy your posts but I have to disagree that Legend or any dealer is being misleading if they reference past auction prices but omit the auction price of the coin in question. CoinFacts and Heritage auction records are available to all of us -- if you're buying coins from Legend (at their price levels) you have to be a little nuts not to consult auction records before purchasing.

And I notice that in their listing of the Wisconsin commem they recently posted, they did list what they paid for it.

As for the descriptions of their inventory, if a bit of puffery is a crime, they're guilty along with half the dealers and all the auction houses.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    I deal with Legend. Sometimes they buy a coin just after it was in an auction and may not be aware of its origins.

They have always been upfront with me about the coins they sell.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thing they (or anyone else) doesn't use me as a catalog writer. I'd highlight every flaw such that most buyers would be afraid to touch PF/MS65-69 coins. image

No dealer works on just a standard 10% markup out of auction. It depends on what the coin is worth to them, replacement cost and opportunity, as well as what the market will comfortably bear. It can range from <0% (ie a mistake) or 30% or higher. But I would agree that 10-25% is probably the normal range for most coins bought by the majority of dealers for resale.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All the coins I buy from legend are remarkable and most have upgraded, some to top pops. Then again a lot of my own buys have too, which many of them I found out I outbid legend...

Take a look at my type set and you'll see many. Please ignore the fillers, i cant break the filler habit image

Anyhow their descriptions are very good, because their coins are killer! >>

I thought they had already tried to get the coins bumped that make their retail site. I can't believe they are leaving easy money on the table.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options

<< <i>Illini,
    I always enjoy your posts but I have to disagree that Legend or any dealer is being misleading if they reference past auction prices but omit the auction price of the coin in question. CoinFacts and Heritage auction records are available to all of us -- if you're buying coins from Legend (at their price levels) you have to be a little nuts not to consult auction records before purchasing.

And I notice that in their listing of the Wisconsin commem they recently posted, they did list what they paid for it.

As for the descriptions of their inventory, if a bit of puffery is a crime, they're guilty along with half the dealers and all the auction houses. >>

That's fair. But I guess that's also why it surprised me a bit that they present the information the way they do. I agree that many buyers of coins at the level sold by Legend would be more likely to do their homework before a purchase and would see the real auction history and would quickly discover the ommitted history. I just remember the first time I saw them describe a coin with auction history presented in that manner was a couple years ago on a coin where I was the underbidder in a Heritage auction. Around a week later I saw the coin on their website and immediately noticed the discrepancy of what they claimed was the last auction result vs. the real last auction result of the coin being offered. For whatever reason, I guess it just left a bad taste in my mouth. Again, I have no issues with the quality of their coins or with their markups on such coins.

By the way, I do agree 100% with their description on the Wisconsin. I viewed both that coin and the MS68+ during lot viewing and both were awesome coins... almost unreal to see a Wisconsin looking that awesome and almost impossible to have two of them that cool side by side. I also agree that the MS68 had slightly better eye appeal than the MS68+ but I really don't know which was the better technical grade as I'm not used to grading MS68 commems!!! If my lotto numbers come in this week I'm buying it image
  • Options
    To you guys that say I'm petty, well, maybe so. A public forum really isn't the best place to discuss differences of opinion. If reading and participating here for the past two or three years has taught me something, it's that. Sorry Laura and anyone else whose feelings I might have hurt by asking what I thought was an honest question.

And no doubt, I get the hype game. If I was selling a coin, I would probably want the cataloguer to hype it too. It sells coins. Really, this is just about my inability to understand their marketing tactic of hyping all their coins to the hilt, as if any well heeled collector wouldn't find that suspect.

Maybe I'm trifling. But these guys really move some awesome stuff. Coins that speak for themselves. Right?
  • Options

<< <i>To you guys that say I'm petty, well, maybe so. A public forum really isn't the best place to discuss differences of opinion. If reading and participating here for the past two or three years has taught me something, it's that. Sorry Laura and anyone else whose feelings I might have hurt by asking what I thought was an honest question.

And no doubt, I get the hype game. If I was selling a coin, I would probably want the cataloguer to hype it too. It sells coins. Really, this is just about my inability to understand their marketing tactic of hyping all their coins to the hilt, as if any well heeled collector wouldn't find that suspect.

Maybe I'm trifling. But these guys really move some awesome stuff. Coins that speak for themselves. Right? >>

Coins might speak for themselves, if viewed from a few inches away. Rarely, however, do they do that, from an on-line image or a matter of fact/non-hyped description.image

<<Illini,
    I always enjoy your posts but I have to disagree that Legend or any dealer is being misleading if they reference past auction prices but omit the auction price of the coin in question. CoinFacts and Heritage auction records are available to all of us -- if you're buying coins from Legend (at their price levels) you have to be a little nuts not to consult auction records before purchasing.>>

I happen to agree with Illini. It is clearly misleading if a seller is offering a coin that was auctioned off in 2011, but says "the last one to sell in major public auction brought 13,800.00 10/2010 Heritage" And it's misleading, whether auction prices are available to readers or not, and whether the current seller bought the coin directly out of the 2011 auction or not.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen Legend's coin at the shows.
    The fact is that not all of Legends coins are on thier site
    I believe the one on thier site are the top shelf coin, and are described as such
    On the other hand some in the showcases at shows are not quite on the top shelf.

Many here wish thier coins owned were as nice Legend's coins
    And a few (very few) have nicer coins.

just my view image
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>All the coins I buy from legend are remarkable and most have upgraded, some to top pops. Then again a lot of my own buys have too, which many of them I found out I outbid legend...

Anyhow their descriptions are very good, because their coins are killer! >>

I thought they had already tried to get the coins bumped that make their retail site. I can't believe they are leaving easy money on the table. >>

They do a lot of times. I even told Laura about it and not all coins get sent in for resubmissions. The ones I sent in however were the grades they were thinking they would be, so I guess I am the 'lucky' one image Especially on the 1908 Motto 65->66 image

• Options
    is it possible that they only will carry and offer the best of the best... just like they claim?

it is possible... and based on what I have seen... and keeping in mind that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... IMHO they DO carry awesome coins!!!!!

sure, they even have some "basic" stock... yet even their "basics" are a cut above the average inventory that can be seen on any bourse...

they have a reputation and a following that is not pretend... it exists... and I would "guess" that it has NOTHING to do with hype... it has everything to do with living up to that reputation by being able to offer and then deliver the "goods"!!!

like em or don't... but the fact remains... they have a firm, prominent place on the numismatic landscape... they earned it and they deserve it and they are not going anywhere... and IMHO, that is a good thing...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    I simply can not believe that a thread about Legend has actually slipped to page 3 ... without any major contoversy, with no shots regarding spell check... and only 26 posts... so I will bring it around one more time and make it 27 posts...

you folks simply ain't on your game today... image

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options

<< <i>I simply can not believe that a thread about Legend has actually slipped to page 3 ... without any major contoversy, with no shots regarding spell check... and only 26 posts... so I will bring it around one more time and make it 27 posts...

image >>

OK Larry - just because you asked for it. I believe that the word you were aiming for is controversy, not contoversy. There. Now the Legend thread has a snarky spelling comment. No need to thank me. image

merse

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I simply can not believe that a thread about Legend has actually slipped to page 3 ... without any major contoversy, with no shots regarding spell check... and only 26 posts... so I will bring it around one more time and make it 27 posts...

image >>

OK Larry - just because you asked for it. I believe that the word you were aiming for is controversy, not contoversy. There. Now the Legend thread has a snarky spelling comment. No need to thank me. image >>

now all is right with the world once againimage

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a Legend customer, far from it. However, how a coin is described is part of what I use to evaluate a dealer. If they are truthful regarding both a coin's blemishes and relative charm, then I'm more likely to choose to investigate that coin for purchase. If the dealer shows no balance in their description, then I begin to question their credibility.

When CRO or Mark Feld state that a coin is an outstanding example, then that tends to get my attention.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To you guys that say I'm petty, well, maybe so. >>

Matt, I didn't state, nor do I believe, that you are petty. Rather, I thought the topic of the thread was petty. The difference may be subtle, but it is profound.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>To you guys that say I'm petty, well, maybe so. >>

Matt, I didn't state, nor do I believe, that you are petty. Rather, I thought the topic of the thread was petty. The difference may be subtle, but it is profound. >>

My bad image
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

<< <i>is it possible that they only will carry and offer the best of the best... just like they claim?

it is possible... and based on what I have seen... and keeping in mind that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder... IMHO they DO carry awesome coins!!!!!

sure, they even have some "basic" stock... yet even their "basics" are a cut above the average inventory that can be seen on any bourse...

they have a reputation and a following that is not pretend... it exists... and I would "guess" that it has NOTHING to do with hype... it has everything to do with living up to that reputation by being able to offer and then deliver the "goods"!!!

like em or don't... but the fact remains... they have a firm, prominent place on the numismatic landscape... they earned it and they deserve it and they are not going anywhere... and IMHO, that is a good thing... >>

That sums up my impression of them. A few years ago I took a peek on their website, every coin was super high end, etc... I am a skeptic so I rolled my eyes and thought "yeah sure heard this before". Oddly enough, when seeing them in person at a show, they were indeed gorgeous coins.

I look in their cases, and I don't see average looking coins, I see gorgeous, high end stuff. I don't buy much from them because, well, I don't really like mint state coins, they are too "sterile" to me and Laura and George don't sell much that isn't mint state. I simply like dirty coins. But what they sell is really nice stuff indeed.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I doubt Simpson even reads the descriptions Legend puts under the coin. image Well actually the coins he buys from them never make the list.

Everybody knows Legend has good stuff, they just turn some people off.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

He who has a thing to sell
    And goes and whispers in a well,
    Is not so apt to get the dollars
    As he who climbs a tree and hollers!

• Options

<< <i>He who has a thing to sell

image >>

it seems you are a poet
    but do you even know it?

• Options

<< <i>He who has a thing to sell

image >>

Exactly--marketing is critical to the business end of numismatics. Many of Legend's inventory items do appeal to investors, who usually need to be hooked and reeled in.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no wool being pulled over anyones eyes with fancy descriptions, as I've read some that I thought where actually overly honest.

As they have a $10 1911D PCGS MS62 right now described as...

A BORDERLINE MS63! $ 18500.00

This is a coin that we have been debating on for the past two weeks. We still don't know if we should crack it or not. It has the looks of a 63, but we are worried it could AU58 (we've all been through that-right?)!.

Both sides are unusually clean and smooth. Even ticks are almost non existence. The only area of bagginess or question is on the upper cheek. Even with a glass it does not look bad. The color is a moderate gold with a light coating of toning (which confirms totally originality). Miss Liberty and the details are exceptionally struck. The eye appeal is very pleasing.

PCGS 65, NGC 50, CAC 6. The next step up will cost you at least $30,000.00-if you can find the lone CAC'd one! This coin is an easy fit into ANY choice set.

I'm not a Legend Groupie as I haven't dealt with them since the mid 90's, but for an almost $19K coin I wasn't expecting such a description.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For example, take a look at the 1865-S $20 gold in PCGS MS63 they currently have listed. They claim "the last one to sell in major public auction brought 13,800.00 10/2010 Heritage." That information along with their asking price of $13,950.00 makes the coin sound like a relative bargain, right? However, the exact coin just sold at the Goldberg pre-Long Beach auction for $12,650 ($11,000 + BP). Perhaps Legend doesn't consider the Goldbergs to be putting on a major public auction?? >>

I hope this last part was missing a sarcasm emoticon. The rest is right on target.

She Who Is Not To Be Named and I have disagreed on many issues. We rarely agree on much besides raw fish and massage.

It would be convenient to discount what she says. I often do. But I cannot ignore an inventory which they constantly refresh with really great coins they charge too much for. Even the misspellings work for them (pathetic!). They obviously reach enough of their selected target audience. Why not place an order. Maybe the description is spot on!

Anyone who's read many of my posts knows I tend not to pull my punches.

She's a more than occasional pain in the butt.
    Her inventory? Scrumptious.
    Her advertising and promotion of her coins? Get a life.

Or try a Goldline thread.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Everyone from vest pocket dealers to collectors who've never even purchased a coin from them have been taking their shots at Legend ever since I joined this forum in 2001......everything from their pricing, their coin descriptions, their spelling, their views on the coin market, everything.

All the drivel and jealousy aside, the fact is I think most people who have purchased coins from them on a regular basis in the past would agree that as they look over their collection, some of their nicest pieces can probably trace their way back to being a purchase from Legend.
  • Options

<< <i>Everyone from vest pocket dealers to collectors who've never even purchased a coin from them have been taking their shots at Legend ever since I joined this forum in 2001......everything from their pricing, their coin descriptions, their spelling, their views on the coin market, everything.

All the drivel and jealousy aside, the fact is I think most people who have purchased coins from them on a regular basis in the past would agree that as they look over their collection, some of their nicest pieces can probably trace their way back to being a purchase from Legend. >>

You got that right.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a few exceptions which come to mind (though none of them are recent), you are going to see some of the best coins of their type / date for the grade on their website. Their best coins are not inexpensive, and they tell the perspective buyer why their coins are priced as they are in their descriptions.

Like everyone else, they'll accept other not so great coins if that what is necessary to do a deal. I've seen some of these coins at shows. Most of what they sell is out of my league. My one Legend purchase is a 1912 P Liberty Nickel in PC 6 @ the 2009 ANA. It's very nice for the grade, and it was sold to me at a price I thought was reasonable.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    I know many disagreed with me when I brought it up before, but a few shared my opinion. Was reading through Legend's new inventory this morning as saw the following in the description of their 1909 IHC in PCGS MS66+RD CAC (which by the way is a great looking coin):

"There are NO auction records for any MS66+s. A NON CAC MS67RD sold for $16,100.00 in 4/2010 Heritage."

Again, I think this is a very misleading statement as the coin in MS66+RD just sold at a major public auction (Bowers & Merena Baltimore) for $3,450. Sure, it's the coin they are selling right now for a reasonable mark up, but to say there are "NO auction records" is clearly false.

I really like Legend and what they are trying to do to make the coin world a better place. Very few dealers are willing to stick their necks out to clean up the hobby. However, every time I see these false statements in their descriptions it almost feels like a step backwards. Of course I'm not suggesting they should report their purchase prices in their descriptions, but falsely stating that NO auction records exist doesn't exactly seem right either.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider lying in their description or deceiving their customers to be a major low. Maybe they meant to so NO OTHER 66+ has ever sold at auction besides this one. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TheBigBTheBigB Posts: 942

<< <i>"There are NO auction records for any other MS66+s. A NON CAC MS67RD sold for $16,100.00 in 4/2010 Heritage." >>

Fixed, Legend badly needs an editor.
  • Options
    DaveEDaveE Posts: 367
    If you ever dealt with Legend you will know that when Laura loves a coin-it has no equals.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"There are NO auction records for any other MS66+s. A NON CAC MS67RD sold for $16,100.00 in 4/2010 Heritage." >>

Fixed, Legend badly needs an editor. >>

Legend subscribes to a service that reports population, bids and auction records for both PCGS and NGC coins. If it's not reported on the service, then it's like a tree that fell in the forest when no one is around. I think that if you expect a dealer to go research the latest auction catalogs before they list a coin, it just isn't gonna happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Fixed, Legend badly needs an editor. >>

Legend subscribes to a service that reports population, bids and auction records for both PCGS and NGC coins. If it's not reported on the service, then it's like a tree that fell in the forest when no one is around. I think that if you expect a dealer to go research the latest auction catalogs before they list a coin, it just isn't gonna happen. >>

No, I wouldn't expect that, but when they don't need to research an auction result where they were the buyer... come on.

• Options
    DaveEDaveE Posts: 367
    Further, Legend, not any other active dealer today has built some of the greatest collections ever formed this decade. Doesn't sounds like she needs to hype her business or the coins she handles. Never heard of her lying to sell a coin.

Why must people here be so jealous and narrow minded all the time about Legend?
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Laura is my kind of girl. Someday. ol' curly is gonna get his picture taken with her. How about it Laura, (you read these forums) you up for that?
    Every man is a self made man.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file