Home U.S. Coin Forum

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's LONG BEACH Show AND PCGS Anniversary Party Report!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday was set up day and I was surprised to see that just about every table was occupied AND new tables were added towards the back of the room - I think that's a great sign that things in the coin world are picking up! Later in the afternoon, PCGS gave out free beer to all the dealers which seemed very welcomed by everyone.

Once set up was over, PCGS hosted a really nice 25th anniversary party at the Hyatt for authorized PCGS dealers, complete with "special" entertainment! What a hoot it was. After a couple very talented high school acts performed (barber shop quartet, a fantastic young "Aretha Franklin" and a young group of girls), David Hall picked up his guitar and and Laura Sperper took over the drums! And boy were they good! Here are some photos of this wonderful event - I'm sure you'll recognize several familiar faces....

David and Laura

Me and David Hall

Don Willis

Stewart Blay

Coin Gods

Rick Snow and Karin

Brian Wagner

PCGS Guys

and Gals

Julian

Glen Holsonbake (PonyEspress)

Wei and PCGS's Rebecca Tran

PCGS's wonderful Sandy!

Walt Ankerman, his son Erik and friend Danny

PCGS Exhibit in lobby of the reception

Chocolate "coins"

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I love photos! image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, thanks Charmy!

-Paul
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pictures Charmy, a true numismatic rogues gallery.... image Looks like it was a lot of fun...Cheers, RickO
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics! Heading to the show in a few for the very first time, pretty stoked!
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Oh good...a thread with pictures that isn't completely dominated by the geriatrics and unsightly crowd.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks PL... image

ABimage
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

I don't think I've ever commented on your show
    reports before, Charmy, but I do read them and
    find them very enjoyable.

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting Charmy. If you scroll up 5 pictures from the bottom, that woman looks so bored.image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Great reportimage I love the shot of David Hall rockin a Gibson SG bass.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS sure knows how to put on a great Anniversary Party. I always enjoy your show reports, Charmy.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting!

They sang "Coin Doctor's blues" to the tune of "Hoochie Coochie man" and "Money (that's what I want)" and "Good Grades" to the tune of "Good Love".

Hopefully someone can post the lyrics.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Very nice pics, good to see a lot of smiling faces. image
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Thanks as always Charmy for the report and pics. image

Mike
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report. Thanks!
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Guys with big beards and pretty ladies....Yup....It's a coin show alright.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    I like the PCGS gals!!! Nice pictures Charmy!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post Charmy.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added a few more photos....
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good time - thanks for the pics!

Blay's an authorized dealer?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh good...a thread with pictures that isn't completely dominated by the geriatrics and unsightly crowd. >>

I resemble that remark. Just because you were included near the PCGS guys & gals photos, doesn't mean that unsightlyness wasn't there. Just kidding and I hope that all included had a great time (the photos certainly proved that PCGS can host a beer bash). Thanks, Charmy.
    Paul
  • homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭

Songs from the PCGS Blues band were...

Good Dippin' (to the Young Rascals "Good Lovin") Doctor, doctor...all these coins really need is a...Good Dippin'

PCGS No Grade Blues...My fours are thress, my fives are AT's

and of course, the coin dealer theme song "Money" (Motown Barrett Strong, not Pink Floyd)

Note that besides Laura the Legend on Drums, Katy Duncan from Pinnacle was back-up vocalist. You can see Katy on the left on the last picture of the band.

Thanks to everyone who came to the party and thanks to everyone for sending us coins for 25 years.

hrh
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

Women at a PCGS party? Who would have thought.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Nice job Charmy, if the coin business ever gets dull you can be a society photographerimageimage
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Photobucket is implementing some bandwidth policies and it looks like Charmy needs to upgrade to be able to display all the photo's in one thread.

Individually, they are viewable by copying the quoted image to the URL bar.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kool post... DH can sure play that guitar. Laura on drums ??? image
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Cool Charmy !!!! I'd love to jam with HRH one of these days :-)
    And, you make an excellent paparazzi :-)
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No pictures here >>

Ditto
  • Damn Bandwidth! image

Charmy's reports are the best! When we can see them!! image
  • Took a look at a few by following 19lyds suggestion...

Get that upgrade Charmy... image

BTW... Wei looks like such the quiet, shy type in that pic image

goes to show that pics can be deceiving... never can accurately "grade" a person from a picture imageimage
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
    So sorry folks, didn't know there was a bandwith limit - so I have now upgraded to unlimited and the photos should appear now.
  • Thanks Charmy, keep 'em coming.
  • very cool, thanks
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Hey goldcollector, thats rude, you are new so why dont you practice editing your post before you get the bootimage-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
    Everyone, please ignore the derogatory post, it has been reported.
  • joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post! pictures really add to the experience for all those of us who are NGC dealers but not pcgs...

Also Im not sure if anybody noticed the regency holder with a BUFFALO nickel in it, as well as those 2 rattlers that had coins that would have no problem GOLD sticker-ing from C_C
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Gold Collector has sh*t on 3 threads already tonight, he will be bammed soon I suspect.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
    Nice report Charmy.

I kinda wish you had a better camera phone.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice report Charmy.

I kinda wish you had a better camera phone. >>

She just needs a faster film............

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,
    Thank you for posting pics with your reports. I have not been to a big show in several years. I miss going and the pics helps transport me there. Fun to see the PCGS Band in action...

Andrew
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice report Charmy.

I kinda wish you had a better camera phone. >>

She just needs a faster film............

image >>

Or an image stabilizer with a zoom setting on the iphone. image

The name is LEE!
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report Charmy! Looks like Ill be working on the weekend and wont be able to make it.image
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you all had fun! Someday I am going to make a big show...yep, someday.

K
    ANA LM
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice reprt Charmy! I always a great read.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The party was a blast, and the folks playing instruments absolutely know how to play!!
    When in doubt, don't.
    First, Don, thank you SO MUCH for deleting that extremely rude guy and his tasteless post!

Next, thank you all for enduring my "bandwith" issues, and I also sincerely apologize for the poor quality of my photos - I don't think it's the phone since some of the photos seem to turn out ok. I really think it's that dang illiterate camera technology, shaky handed clueless button-pusher photographer - aka, ME! I'll try to learn more about my camera phone and do better. image

So here's the news for today.....

It got really busy about 11ish and didn't stop until around 4pm! I didn't do too much buying since I won a ton of great coins in the Goldberg auction, much more than I anticipated. However, I did buy a very cool 1873 S-2 double die - the king of double dies for Indian cents - and I'm thrilled to have it! Todd is taking photos of this newp as well as my Golberg auction coins. A couple of my customers brought me some wonderful bottles of wine, so we definitely enjoyed opening and sharing them with everyone!

Several forum members stopped by, and some of them showed me their beautiful newps - I love seeing what all of you have found at the show! Several of you even commented on my pictorial show reports, and I really appreciate knowing that you like seeing photos of the shows I attend (and my after-hours events), even if the photos aren't the best quality!

Tonight I treated my "helper" friends to dinner SuperMex with my sweet hubby and boys. It's been sort of a tradition that we meet at my house, have a little Don Julio 1942 sipping tequila (Roger, one of my helpers, also brought me a really nice special tequila sipping glass), then head to SuperMex which is not far from my house. Their food is pretty yummy yet inexpensive, and it's nice to be able to just kick back, relax, and enjoy my friends and family for an evening.

Sorry, I don't have any photos from the show, but I will take more pictures tomorrow!
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Charmy, you are the greatest!!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    That was a really awesome post to generate this thread.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Great looking Gibson Bass hrh. I play an Ibanez Soundgear 5-string.

Thanks for the post and pics Charmy!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file