Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

707 Sportscards comes through to help me complete my Set Registry!

All right! For some reason, between glasses of wine and plates of finely crafted snacks (I can't spell "hors d'oeuvres"), I got on and searched for the last card I need to complete my 1962 Topps Basic Set Registry. I scrolled down the short list of available cards when, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a #400 PSA 8 Elston Howard with a BIN and OBO! I thought the BIN was a little high, made an offer, and YES!, I got a counter-offer back. I jumped on it!

Cheers to 707 Sportscards for making my Christmas cheerier and helping me to fill my 2010 collecting goal of completing this set!!

[edited to correct subject]

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Really? He sold a card???? Geez from what I hear around here he never sells anything!

Glad you finally completed your set Hoof!!

I bet it's a beaut.

Good for you.
  • Options
    Thanks, Steve!

Now that I've got the cards I need, I'm making the set "public" again. Here's a link to my '62 Topps Basic Set Registry entry.

Man, what a Christmas this is turning out to be. I've got some wonderful family to celebrate with, too, so I'm flying high!
  • Options
    Now that's a fine Christmas present!image

Please scan some of your favorites from the set sometime. One of my favorites. Congratulations!

Robert
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    great news Mike.....congrats & Merry Christmas. image
  • Options

<< <i>Now that's a fine Christmas present!image

Please scan some of your favorites from the set sometime. One of my favorites. Congratulations!

Robert >>

Thanks, Robert!

I listed that as my goal for 2011 -- to scan all the cards (need a better scanner first) and upload them to the Registry. As Steve E. (seinbigd) started with his '62T set, I want to scan the Green- and Non-tint cards side-by-side to show everyone the differences of cards 110-196. I'm still hoping the other Green-tint variations will be added to the Master list one day...
  • Options

<< <i>great news Mike.....congrats & Merry Christmas. image >>

Geoff, I owe you a "Thank you!" for some of the cards in the set!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

[edited to add:] Here are the cards you supplied me with --

34 Johnny Temple
    120 Bob Purkey
    126 Al Cicotte (Green Tint)
    193 Eddie Kasko
    268 Ken McBride
    339 Jose Valdivielso
    513 Whitey Herzog
    558 John Goryl
    568 Jim Golden

Thanks!
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a job well done. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Congratulations on completing your set. What a great Christmas present.

Brian
    Complete not Graded as of yet
    1962 Topps Baseball Set
    1962 Panel Stamp Set (245)
    62 Empty Wax Box & Wrapper Set

Looking for 1962 Salesmen Samples
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Congratualations on the accomplishment!!! Completing a PSA graded 1962 Topps set is no easy task. I always thought the 62's were great looking cards.
  • Options
    Congrats! I have seen you write about that card for a while now. Enjoy!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats! I have seen you write about that card for a while now. Enjoy! >>

I was afraid I was getting a little obnoxious when I kept posting my "[subliminal message]Sell me your #400 PSA 7 or 8 Elston Howard[/subliminal message]" tags!

Thank you all for the kudos! It was definitely a labor of love...
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Mike...congrats on the card and the set. I am still trying to finish my first registry set having started so many but never getting there.

Jeff

PS...you need to update your sig line now.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats! I have seen you write about that card for a while now. Enjoy! >>

I was afraid I was getting a little obnoxious when I kept posting my "[subliminal message]Sell me your #400 PSA 7 or 8 Elston Howard[/subliminal message]" tags!

Thank you all for the kudos! It was definitely a labor of love... >>

Personally, I don't mind the "White Whale" style posts, no matter how frequent. It's the most engaging part of the hobby - the chase, the near misses, the rush when you land one.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>Mike...congrats on the card and the set. I am still trying to finish my first registry set having started so many but never getting there.

Jeff

PS...you need to update your sig line now. >>

Jeff,

Nice catch on the sig line! I've updated it.

Which Set is your most recent focus?

Thank you!
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I don't mind the "White Whale" style posts, no matter how frequent. It's the most engaging part of the hobby - the chase, the near misses, the rush when you land one. >>

Thank you, sir. What a relief to hear that!
  • Options
    Huge Congrats and a job well done!

Just in time for 2011 Topps Heritage (which will be the "new" version of the 1962 Topps Set for those of you that do not follow modern)
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>Huge Congrats and a job well done!

Just in time for 2011 Topps Heritage (which will be the "new" version of the 1962 Topps Set for those of you that do not follow modern) >>

Oh, man, I've been following that thread. I just started pricing a case of the 2011 Heritage cards. There goes my other 2011 goad to replenish the savings account!

Thanks!
  • Options
    lol sorry

shouldnt be nearly as expensive! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Nice to hear good things about Levi -- I still get an annual xmas card from him

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    congrats on finally reeling in the Howard, Mike! A huge accomplishment - what's the next White Whale on horizon?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice to hear good things about Levi -- I still get an annual xmas card from him >>

Rich, does Levi frequent these boards? If so, I'd like to say "Thanks!" personally.

Geordie, thank you. My next White Whale? Nothing I can nail down yet. I've got a lot of Senators/Twins type cards to pursue to fill in some of my holes there. A 1921 Exhibit card of Walter Johnson would be a great addition to that collection.

• Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

My two closet sets are...

1955 Topps Baseball PSA 7 set...down to 9 cards that I need

1956 Topps Baseball PSA 7/8 set...down to 12 cards that I need

Hoping that I can find them before I lose interest but it is getting very difficult to find decently centered at a reasonable price.

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

My two closet sets are...

1955 Topps Baseball PSA 7 set...down to 9 cards that I need

1956 Topps Baseball PSA 7/8 set...down to 12 cards that I need

Hoping that I can find them before I lose interest but it is getting very difficult to find decently centered at a reasonable price.

Jeff >>

WoW! Impressive sets! Wish I had some of those cards to help you out. Best of luck completing them...
  • Options
    Congrats, great card Mike, I couldn't resist posting the scan...

• Options
    tigerdeantigerdean Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    Now if someone could just help me out with a 1971 PSA #577 NQ Jim Lonborg so I could complete this 71 set image
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats, great card Mike, I couldn't resist posting the scan... >>

Great detective work, Mr. Holmes!! I had to have at least left-to-right centering. I can live with the top-bottom not being perfectly centered.

Love the card!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atta boy Mike!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    It's so great to hear and feel such happiness and excitement from a Board member. Congratulations on completing one tough set!

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>Atta boy Mike!

image >>

Mike! I owe you the biggest "Thanks!" in putting this set together. I bought that bulk lot from you in July of '05 and you made me one tremendous trade within the past year. I just checked my spreadsheet documenting all my purchases and you are flagged on 89 of the 693 cards in my registered sets.

Thanks again,
  • Options

<< <i>It's so great to hear and feel such happiness and excitement from a Board member. Congratulations on completing one tough set!

Nick >>

Thanks, Nick. Completing the set at this time of year really enhanced the experience. Patience finally paid off. I learned so much reading discussions from the experts on these boards, including Bosox1976, seinbigd, Griffins, et al. I'm grateful to you all!
  • Options

<< <i>Personally, I don't mind the "White Whale" style posts, no matter how frequent. It's the most engaging part of the hobby - the chase, the near misses, the rush when you land one. >>

That about sums it up!!

Good for you.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    WOW! 707 sold his?? I guess that means now I can list mine, since the average selling price just got raised by $250!!!
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $99.89
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Congrats on finishing your set!
  • Options

<< <i>Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 8 - Average Price: $99.89 >>

Lol looks like someone just got ripped off. SMR doesnt even have the card listed.
  • Options
    Yes....notice no comment is made as to what kind of "deal" 707 gave him......just picking with you OP.....if I was down to one last card, I would probably overpay too!
  • Options

VCP is a guide. IF VCP captured all buy it now listings then the average VCP price on just about every card would be much higher than it shows.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the completion! On a smaller scale I conquered one of my sets yesterday, 1968 Cardinals Team set (only 38 cards), now if I can only find a Cardinals team card & Gibson card in 8 the whole set will be 8+.
  • Options
    He may or may not monitor the boards -- but if you go to the web site and email Levi@707sportscards.com; I'll bet he gets your message

Rich
    Plano, Tx. Card Show #5, Sunday March 6, 2016 at Adat Chaverim (Northeast Corner Independence and Spring Creek) in Plano Tx 9Am to 4 PM. See you there!
  • Options
    Hoof

Are you going to try for the tints now?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>VCP is a guide. IF VCP captured all buy it now listings then the average VCP price on just about every card would be much higher than it shows. >>

Bingo! I've been monitoring BIN auctions, too. VCP is just a guide like SMR...
  • Options

<< <i>Are you going to try for the tints now? >>

I've gotten all the green tint variations, too. In my second Master Registry Set, I've got the alternate tint from my Master (and Basic) sets. Note the "GT" and "NT" notes I have next to #s 110 through 196.

My goal in 2011 is to scan all the cards including the tint variations side-by-side. Another labor of love!
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad you nailed the last one down. Looking at your set. A very impressive accomplishment.
  • Options
    I'm glad he helped you but they are still a joke... he had a card listed almost $150 over any VCP sale - I offered higher than any other card has sold for - his response - $10 off his ridiculous price - I will not even bother to waste my time with 707 again!
  • Options
    Don't you know? His cards are actually lined with gold! That's why he can command triple the price for the exact same card that another seller might have more reasonable.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    you gots to raise the bar to increase the average...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Congrats on completion of your set!

Far as 707 goes. I never have had a problem with Levi. He has always been nice to me. I can honestly say I have made quick profitable flips on cards I have purchased from him in the past. You just gotta poke around for deals he has sometimes. When he has them they usually sell very fast. JMNSHO

• Options
    I think jealously has a lot to do with some of the ridiculous comments whenever
    707 is being discussed. I especially like the comments from certain posters that
    call out others for high prices yet have tried the very same thing in the past and wouldn't turn down
    a buck.

Good for you.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    congrats!!!

just in time for 2010, what's next years goal??

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started