Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010 proof eagles are junk

I have looked at 25 of mine closely and not one of them is fit to keep.

How are these people that are pre-selling them going to come up with enough 69's and 70's to fill out what they sold? I think they are in for a rude surprise.

Comments

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    succinct and to the point
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you referring to the quality of the coins being shipped by the Mint?
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>succinct and to the point >>

Hit the wrong button again. You sure are fast!
  • Options

<< <i>Are you referring to the quality of the coins being shipped by the Mint? >>

Yes sir!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    They rushed these through and forestalled qualtiy control. When was the last time the mint started to produce these so late? Hopefully there will be a lot of returns reducing the mintage. Mine will remained sealed til the final mintage is known. Only bought 25 but some are in single boxes.
  • Options

I pulled all my listings on e bay and looked at them. There is not one decent coin in the bunch.
  • Options

<< <i>I pulled all my listings on e bay and looked at them. There is not one decent coin in the bunch. >>

I am looking at these coins under a halogen light with a 10 power scope.

I pulled my 3rd box of ten off e bay this morning that I had listed as an unopened box of ten. Sure glad I did because they were junk also. That makes 35 out of 35.

At this point I would not buy anything listed on e bay unless it guarantees that there are no spots guys.

I have more boxes of ten coming and hopefully these will be better. They sure could not be worse.
  • Options

<< <i> Hopefully there will be a lot of returns reducing the mintage. Mine will remained sealed til the final mintage is known. Only bought 25 but some are in single boxes. >>

Why keep them in sealed boxes???? If it's for FS label they probably should be looked at first....Why would low mintage sealed boxes (undetermined quality) be worth more than opened boxes (of excellent quality)?? Can't return them after 7 days opened or not....

What am I missing???

edited to add: my 2010's are running about 60% very nice coins (perfect in my eyes), 20% single minor imperfection, 20% more than one imperfection
  • Options
    Would it be worth it to pick up a FS 70 now or could spots appear later?
  • Options
    I personally only have bullion silver eagles in my stack. I gave up on the proofs a couple of years ago when these spotting issues became evident. I am glad I did! What a shame too, because I loved the reverse proof.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe send some to Daniel Carr so we can get some decent 2009's made. image
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My batch look fine. No spots on any. Some are definately perfect and undoubtedly a good mix of PR69 and PR70. No complaints here.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I would think these presale guys have no downside. If they don't get the supply of 70's they need, they just refund the money.
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like all 3 of mine get one more tomorrow. Anyone know when you send these in do they have to be cracked out and submitted in a flip or do you send them with the bubble? ..........................
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would think these presale guys have no downside. If they don't get the supply of 70's they need, they just refund the money. >>

Feeback will suffer, and rightfully so. That's the risk in selling something you don't have. Seller's all "promising" the graded coin. Haven't seen one where seller addresses the possibility that he may not come up with the grade he's selling.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>i like all 3 of mine get one more tomorrow. Anyone know when you send these in do they have to be cracked out and submitted in a flip or do you send them with the bubble? .......................... >>

Always leave US mint products in their mint capsule to be graded. Both major grading companies accept submissions in original mint caps. Aftermarket capsules are a different story. US Mint capsules are unique, I have yet to find a company that sells them.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i like all 3 of mine get one more tomorrow. Anyone know when you send these in do they have to be cracked out and submitted in a flip or do you send them with the bubble? .......................... >>

in OGP capsule is how they want them, not in a flip. but in a flip won't preclude grading....before FS deadline
    and keep the box, etc.

if it's after FS deadline and are sumbitting FS eligible, then the entire unopened box from the warehouse is submitted...if you want FS designation of course.
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only ordered two, both are very nice. Sounds like I got lucky!

-Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    You folks that are saying that your coins look nice had better be looking at them under a microscope because these coins look ok until you see them magnified.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am looking at these coins under a halogen light with a 10 power scope.

Don't the TPG's for the most part grade these with the unaided eye?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I am looking at these coins under a halogen light with a 10 power scope.

roadrunner >>

Asfar as I understand no, for MS-70 they use 10X power
    --- Mayer Numismatics --- Collectors Corner --- (888) 822 - COIN ---
  • Options
    adrianaadriana Posts: 581 ✭✭
    You are absolutely right! Even under a microscope you have to tilt the coin to see that crap. Have never had a problem with the 3 coin silver sets though. I spoke to a company who sells these 2010 proofs by the ten s, and they replied that they don't even look at 'em before they sell 'em. A lot of disappointments coming up I'd say. You only have 7 days to return the bad ones for exchange, so a US Mint Rep told me this A>M> AND YOU MUST RETURN THEN UNACCEPTABLES IN THE SAME BOX THEY CAME IN - YOU PAY POSTAGE AND INSURANCE WHICH IS UNREFUNABLE. Hope you'all take a look at what you have and take action!
  • Options

If that is the case,as I think it is, there will be no 70's.
  • Options
    adrianaadriana Posts: 581 ✭✭
    ANYONE HAVE 2010 PROOF PCGS PF69 AND 70'S FOR SALE?
  • Options

<< <i>YOU MUST RETURN THE UNACCEPTABLES IN THE SAME BOX THEY CAME IN >>

Not true. For returns, per the packing slip "If possible, please repack the merchandise in the original shipping carton."

Mine are going back registered, large flat rate priority box (and it will be full to the top).

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them are not the only ones suffering from the mint then
  • Options
    I opened 3 subscription orders (boxes) of 2010 ASE Proof coins. Box 1 had 90% defects; Box 2 had 40% defects and the third Box had No defects. It appears to be that the early shipments were problem coins. I was told that 250,000 coins were ordered through subscriptions. Lucky Us !!!! There will be some PF 70 coins, but the population will be thin.
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    They have a generous 7-day return privilege. Seems sufficient for anyone collecting the medal-coins.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ANYONE HAVE 2010 PROOF PCGS PF69 AND 70'S FOR SALE? >>

I will have some in about 30 days.

My 9 arrived in CA yesterday waiting for PCGS to take delivery.

Should have 3-4 70's and 5-6 69's image

Joe
  • Options

It sounds like they are going to be flooded with returns. I hope they don't just send them out again. I told them I wanted my money back.
  • Options

<< <i>It sounds like they are going to be flooded with returns. I hope they don't just send them out again. I told them I wanted my money back. >>

Mine are all boxed up, wrapped with reinforced tape, and ready for registered mail in the AM.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It sounds like they are going to be flooded with returns. I hope they don't just send them out again. I told them I wanted my money back. >>

Mine are all boxed up, wrapped with reinforced tape, and ready for registered mail in the AM. >>

i send priority now because registered can take a week or longer and they do not rush a registered package due to weather. you can tape up a priority box PDG, write the addy ON THE REINFORCED TAPE, insure it with confirmed delivery.

express one-day is considered very very safe and of couse very fast. express moves and is tracked every step of the way. registered is tracked, too. but it spends a lot of nights locked up in many post offices. just my 2cents
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good opportunity to put together a grading set from PR60 to PR70.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>I am looking at these coins under a halogen light with a 10 power scope.

roadrunner >>

i thought it was 5x
  • Options

My 25 are on the way back to the mint registered mail.

Now to wait for my next 20 to arrive.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 25 are on the way back to the mint registered mail.

Now to wait for my next 20 to arrive. >>

Get ready to own the second shipment, remember the Mint does not guarantee 70's
    and I thought they we going to try to stop cherry pickers
  • Options

Cherry picking is one thing but those coins I sent back were a complete disgrace to the mint. They should be ashamed of themselves for such poor quality control. If I ever sold any of those to somebody they would just send them right back to me. They were all heavily spotted to the naked eye and quite a few of them had abrasions on them. If I get more like that they will go back also and I will quit buying from the mint.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had to look at them with a microscope for the complaint of quality, then you are looking for a specific high grade.
    To those that keep them raw, most are fine with looking great to the unaided eye.

I haven't gotten ours yet, but if they are bad, to the unaided eye, they will go back. If not, we have a few keepers then.

Too bad you didn't post photos before you packed them up....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A photo right about now of one of these spotted/abraded examples would be nice.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. I feel privileged. My lonely, solo, single subscription 2010 ASE is spotless, flawless and would likely garner a 70 were I to send it in, but I'm keeping it in its original packing just like the rest of my lonely, solo annual ASEs... image
  • Options
    When I sell raw coins on ebay, I don't expect the buyers to return the coin just because he/she find flaws when using a 10x scope to examine the coin.
    Likewise, when I buy a coin from the Mint, I won't use a 10x scope to check the coins and choose what should be returned.
    For the same reason, I don't expect the Mint employee to use a 10x scope for quality check.
    If anyone expects a flawless coin, they should pay a premium to buy 70 coins from the dealers and ebay. (Hey... but even for a 70 coin there might still be imperfections on it when looking with an unaided eye).
    Just my 0.02

BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>A photo right about now of one of these spotted/abraded examples would be nice. >>

I would like to do that but they are on the way back to the mint already , maybe someone else has some they could take some pictures of and post them.
  • Options

<< <i>When I sell raw coins on ebay, I don't expect the buyers to return the coin just because he/she find flaws when using a 10x scope to examine the coin.
    Likewise, when I buy a coin from the Mint, I won't use a 10x scope to check the coins and choose what should be returned.
    For the same reason, I don't expect the Mint employee to use a 10x scope for quality check.
    If anyone expects a flawless coin, they should pay a premium to buy 70 coins from the dealers and ebay. (Hey... but even for a 70 coin there might still be imperfections on it when looking with an unaided eye).
    Just my 0.02 >>

These coins were much worse than just a few marks and they could be seen with a naked eye. I am not alone in shipping them back.
    I have not sent any coins back to them previously.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    FYI - The Mint’s fulfillment contractor has previously restricted purchasers who abuse the return privilege.

They are not there to support speculators, or people who think they are entitled to order a lot of coins, then keep only one or two.
  • Options

<< <i>FYI - The Mint’s fulfillment contractor has previously restricted purchasers who abuse the return privilege.

They are not there to support speculators, or people who think they are entitled to order a lot of coins, then keep only one or two. >>

The mint needs to not be in such a rush that they put out some of the worst junk they have put out in years. Not all of these coins are junk, but a lot of the first ones were . People like coin vault and other big sellers that were originally selling 69's and 70's have stopped. I wonder why?
  • Options
    Returned 84 out of 100. Reverse details damaged on all 84.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    All these seconds make my beauty a real winner.
    Paul
  • Options
    sounds like anyone who bought 25 got shafted.
  • Options

<< <i>All these seconds make my beauty a real winner. >>

Check the reverse details with magnification, particularly on the banner at the base of the eagle's neck and on the spread wings.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

My 5 that came in today were flawless.....subscription order.

I ordered 10 more the day they went on sale. Wonder if I'll even get them and wonder if they'll be as nice as the first 5 I got....???

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file