Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010 proof eagles are junk

Comments

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i would think it's hit or miss especially on ten or less. even 25. none of what i looked at was "junk", yet i could have assembled a dissapointing group of 30, easy.

if the mint wants to stop flipping by a naiveté such as myself. they shouldn't have set the limit so high at 100. i think it will take a new policy to stop this, but i don't know what it would be. >>

Maybe they could limit the amounts to 5 or 10 for a couple of weeks and then raise limits.
    They went from 1 month to 1 week on returns so next step??
    A "No Return" policy on Eagles I think would end it.

Joe

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I miss the old days out of Memphis......30 day returns and sometimes they would refund the return shipping fees. The last good quality coins I bought from the Mint were the UHRs back in early 2009 about the time Pitney-Bowes took over distribution.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah I miss the old days out of Memphis......30 day returns and sometimes they would refund the return shipping fees. The last good quality coins I bought from the Mint were the UHRs back in early 2009 about the time Pitney-Bowes took over distribution. >>

30 day free option

Joe
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Possibly no returns on all bullion items, but no order limits either (subject to production capacity). That way there is no room for confusion among the poor, innocent, beleaguered, maligned speculators.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bullion is supposed to be pretty?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bullion is supposed to be pretty? >>

Proof bullion is. Why would you want to buy dinged up PR60 coins from the mint?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That doesn't mean we have to accept them just because people are careless. >>

You're right. And we do have the right to reject the rejects. As dealers, we should want to bring the highest quality products to our customers. To this end, I'm in concurrence with you.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest bullion sales:

Note the monster surge in Oct and Nov. Maybe thats why there are problems at the mint.

Silver Eagle 2010 Monthly Sales

January 3,592,500
    February 2,050,000
    March 3,381,000
    April 2,507,500
    May 3,636,500
    June 3,001,000
    July 2,981,000
    August 2,451,000
    September 1,880,000
    October 3,150,000
    November 4,160,000
    December -

Total 32,790,500
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my 4 today, all are without issue as viewed with a 10x loupe. I can't state that they are 70DC vs 69DC but there is no problems that I can see.

I will state that I really don't like the snakeskin look of the cameo effect that the mint now uses. It's been used on coins for a few years now, and I just don't like it.

One odd thing I noticed about the velvet box, there is a small groove in the bottom of the case like something to hold the coin up vertically, however, it's too narrow for the coin in the plastic case, so I guess they expect people to be opening the case and placing the coin in vertically with no protection. Anyone ever do that?
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two ASE's ordered at 12:08 of the Friday release arrived today. They both look pretty darn clean to me. I like 'em. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A proof *anything* should have a nice enough appearance that it is suitable to be given as a gift. >>

I could almost guarantee that these are.

The folks that are whining are those that won't be able to "resell" them for more than $50.

What else could you possibly have in mind by ordering 100? image >>

If you want to keep coins that looks the way some of mine did then all the power to you. Heck better yet, if you want to buy more, since you are not whining then I will be happy to sell you some of the crappy ones I received from the mint. I have some other crappy coins that you might not mind either...

Seriously, speculator vs collector, who cares? They both serve a purpose in this business, but the higher than thou attitude definitely has no place. If you are willing to accept a coin that is sub-standard then that is you prerogative, but I would like to know what purpose does it serve to try to make someone feel bad because they do not share your low quality acceptance policy? The mint has a return policy and as long as they have it some of us will make use of it as needed. If the original poster wants only 70's then that is his business, after all he paid for the coins, who am I to tell him that he should keep coins that do not meet his expectations?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>A proof *anything* should have a nice enough appearance that it is suitable to be given as a gift. >>

The folks that are whining are those that won't be able to "resell" them for more than $50.

If you want to keep coins that looks the way some of mine did then all the power to you. Heck better yet, if you want to buy more, since you are not whining then I will be happy to sell you some of the crappy ones I received from the mint. I have some other crappy coins that you might not mind either...

Seriously, speculator vs collector, who cares? They both serve a purpose in this business, but the higher than thou attitude definitely has no place. If you are willing to accept a coin that is sub-standard then that is you prerogative, but I would like to know what purpose does it serve to try to make someone feel bad because they do not share your low quality acceptance policy? The mint has a return policy and as long as they have it some of us will make use of it as needed. If the original poster wants only 70's then that is his business, after all he paid for the coins, who am I to tell him that he should keep coins that do not meet his expectations? >>

Again, before being lectured, I would like to know....WHAT IS THE STANDARD that you are talking about? If we don't know the "standard", how can someone say it is sub-standard????
    And, saying the "mint has a return policy...blah blah blah" is a BS copout. That is the same attitude that got the changes to happen already. Used to be a 30 day return "for any reason". Now, it's 7 day. People played the game and SCREWED EVERYONE by doing it.

So, people that abuse the system ruin it for everyone.

Now that that is said, I ask again, WHAT IS THE STANDARD?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I have bought a decent amount of coins from the Mint over the years and this is the first time I have returned any. I have no issue accepting minor imperfections but draw the line when there is damage visible without any magnification.

The five that I returned have multiple gouges on the reverse....all in the same place....

Damage is reason enough for returning an item..... I do NOT consider these to have "imperfections"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seriously, speculator vs collector, who cares? They both serve a purpose in this business, but the higher than thou attitude definitely has no place. If you are willing to accept a coin that is sub-standard then that is you prerogative, but I would like to know what purpose does it serve to try to make someone feel bad because they do not share your low quality acceptance policy? The mint has a return policy and as long as they have it some of us will make use of it as needed. If the original poster wants only 70's then that is his business, after all he paid for the coins, who am I to tell him that he should keep coins that do not meet his expectations? >>

Again, before being lectured, I would like to know....WHAT IS THE STANDARD that you are talking about? If we don't know the "standard", how can someone say it is sub-standard????
    And, saying the "mint has a return policy...blah blah blah" is a BS copout. That is the same attitude that got the changes to happen already. Used to be a 30 day return "for any reason". Now, it's 7 day. People played the game and SCREWED EVERYONE by doing it.

Now that that is said, I ask again, WHAT IS THE STANDARD? >>

The mint has no standards for strike, eye appeal, marks, etc. and so on and so forth. Their standards are weight, dimensions, composition, etc. which are parameters that can be controlled to rather tight specs. The difference then, is expectations. While proof is a method of manufacture and not an assurance of quality most folks will have high expectations for a coin that is specially made and not intended for commerce. When I open that box that I waited months for I want that coin to knock my socks off, not knee me in the nads. Minor imperfections that aren't visible without some effort don't bother me, but when your eye is immediately drawn to a scratch, stain or gouge, that does bother me and it will bother me every time I look at the thing.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    I've seen plenty of 68's that were not suitable as a gift.I think if it's less than 69, there's a problem.
  • Options

<< <i>

Now that that is said, I ask again, WHAT IS THE STANDARD? >>

The standard is what ever the person shelling the cash for the coins feels it should be, you go ahead and make no use of the return policy. Now with regards to the return policy, there is still one in place, why is everyone Screwed? If they did produced better coins there would be no returns would there? So instead of frowning on people that return coins, why not use the same energy to demand they produce better quality coins? I think the consensus on this thread has been, coins with no flaws to the naked eye. So if you need a standard, then there you have it "coins that have no visible damage to the naked eye". But at the end of the day, if I will not accept anything else other than a PR70 then that is my business and there is nothing anyone can say to make me keep something that does not meet my expectations.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Amen, brother!
  • Options
    Well said RobertS !! When it's my hard $$, then I only I will determine if the item that I am buying is acceptable !! Unless you want Big Brother to decide for us !! The PF coins are not cheap, so why shouldn't we as customers have a high standard when shelling out our $$ ?
    Specialized Investments
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    i noticed the groove, but thought it was to be used as a push through,
    when stubborn capsules refuse release from the holder,
    remove the entire tray from the box and push on the reverse of the tab

(l8-)>>

• Options
    tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Once again, every one of my orders, under 20x were perfect and I was very happy with what I received.

Now, I am not submitting anything for an MS-anything. If I were though, I am more than reasonably confident that I would have more than my fair of 70's with the rest being nothing less than 69.

69 or 70, in most cases, with and regards to moderns is always a crap shoot anyway, IMHO.
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    The order I made on the 22nd (packed on 11/30) just arrived and the quaility is supurb on all 10......
    way better than my subcription order of which I sent 5 of 10 back.

seny 5 of these back from my subcription order.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And, saying the "mint has a return policy...blah blah blah" is a BS copout. That is the same attitude that got the changes to happen already. Used to be a 30 day return "for any reason". Now, it's 7 day. People played the game and SCREWED EVERYONE by doing it. >>

Actually, the 30 day return period was eliminated and converted to a 7 day return period to coincide with the weekly review of gold bullion prices. Folks were returning gold coins when prices dropped over a 30 day period.

It had NOTHING to do with returning "less than perfect" cherrypicked products.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>One odd thing I noticed about the velvet box, there is a small groove in the bottom of the case like something to hold the coin up vertically, however, it's too narrow for the coin in the plastic case, so I guess they expect people to be opening the case and placing the coin in vertically with no protection. Anyone ever do that? >>

That "groove" appears to be there so that the coin, in its protective capsule, can be displayed by leaning it up against the open lid of the case. If the groove were not there, the coin would simply lay down in the case.

image .. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

mine fits snug in the capsule standing up staight in the groove.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the voice of Rodney Dangerfield :

"I get no respect "
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    When I first read the OP, I thought he was an ass for trolling for perfect coins and sending the rest back. Uh, no. Got my order and these are the worst eagles I've ever seen. Tiny dots all over the surfaces and cloudy white rinse stains along many of the edges. This is all very obvious as soon as you open the case. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine now. I hadn't even considered sending any back.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

<< <i>When I first read the OP, I thought he was an ass for trolling for perfect coins and sending the rest back. Uh, no. Got my order and these are the worst eagles I've ever seen. Tiny dots all over the surfaces and cloudy white rinse stains along many of the edges. This is all very obvious as soon as you open the case. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine now. I hadn't even considered sending any back. >>

Everytime I open this thread I get a little nervous about what I sent in to PCGS.

I think I was very critical when submitting my 9 coins but maybe I missed some things.

Pcgs logged my order in today. The wait begins, I will post my fortune or misfortune when grades pop.

Joe
  • Options
    It looks like timing was everything here. I'm going through my second batch of 10 and they look alright. No rinse stains and far fewer specks. Still not the quality of previous years but better. My first set of 10 was complete garbage. Completely unappealing coins.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    maybe they accidently sent out rejects.... you know got the piles mixed.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, 2 in the first set of 10 came without a cert and 1 was in a case with a large chip out of the side. This besides the fact the coins were crap. I'm guessing those rolled through the line while Stevie Wonder was on Quality Control.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    I inspected my sub. order of two, at 6x magnification,
    found the coins to be very good examples, both are PF69's.

_Reset
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Everything from the Mint since 2008 has been junk and continues to be.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    My next order of 10 shipped today. It will be interesting to see if they are more like my first batch (nice) than the damaged 5 I returned.
  • Options
    Nice pics Dupapa, what camera and lens combo did you use to take them?

Thanks
  • Options

I got 10 more this morning. They were much better and I will not send them back. We will see how the next ten look.
  • Options
    You've already condemned them all: "2010 proof eagles are junk."

So now, that's changed? Did you sit on the upright "Fickle Finger of Fate" and get hurt? Got to love those speculators! image
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what happens to the returned ones? Do they go back on sale?
  • Options

<< <i>You've already condemned them all: "2010 proof eagles are junk."

So now, that's changed? Did you sit on the upright "Fickle Finger of Fate" and get hurt? Got to love those speculators! image >>

I didn;t get hurt at all. The junk coins will go back if I get any more of them. The good one's I will keep or do whatever I decide to do with them. At least I know I am not screwing a buyer if I decide to sell them.
  • Options
    what happens to the returned ones? Do they go back on sale?
  • Options
    Returns are examined, and separated from packaging if defective. Rejects are put through rollers that crush the plastic. The loose coins are then rolled out into thin ovals and shipped to the planchet provider as bullion. These are non-circulating pieces, so the mint loses all of the cost except bullion on valid every return.

Returns are made by individuals who change their mind, just don’t like the coin, or for many other reasons. “Moved – No Forwarding Address” is surprisingly common.

Much of the disruption caused by speculators is from their fundamental approach – speculators care nothing about the coin, they want only to profit from it. The same sort of disruption would occur with any mail order business subject to speculation on specific products. The mint has been slow to adopt commercial methods in handling the problem, but seems to be improving.
  • Options

I hope not. I was told by a mint employee that they will not be sent back out, but you know the mint.
  • Options

<< <i>what happens to the returned ones? Do they go back on sale? >>

If they are not obviously damaged (which 99.999% are not because if they are they get sold as "Mint Errors") they get repackaged, as in the case of Mint Set boxes which have been opened, and then resold which accounts for the on and off again routine the US Mint goes through as a product sells out.

Think about it folks. US Mint products do not get returned to the US Mint and the Fulfillment Center dooes not have the authority to destroy coinage or even deal with the US Mint planchet suppliers. They are simply a distribution center that won a contract to sell US Mint products online and over the phone.

I have no idea why Roger posted what he did.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭

<< <i>Nice pics Dupapa, what camera and lens combo did you use to take them?

Thanks >>

canon rebel + canon 100mm macro ....

For xmas my kids are getting me a new camera body... D50 ...
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    I rec'd my orders of 60 and 40 yesterday. 100 total. Sent 5 off to PCGS today. They were mostly full of issues that if you don't look at under the proper lighting you will not catch. Based on what I rec'd I will say that 70's are going to be very tough. There will not be many 70's imho. I'll be lucky to get 2 70's. I bet the graders will get sick of seeing the junk sent to them!! I am keeping 95 of 100. One had a cracked lense and 4 had nasty spotting. I will not waste my time sending the 90+ back in search of 70's. They just are not going to happen and speculators are wasting their time and money looking for the perfect eagle. It is also a huge waste of taxpayer money for the Mint to deal with this type of buyer. Besides I don't think that many were made and these are keepers in my book. The sleeper of 2010 so to speak, my opinion of course.
  • Options
    my two look perfect
  • Options
    I received 55. Which was more than I ordered because even though I cancelled my subscription and re-entered a new one they sent me both lots anyway.

Out of the 55 I'd guess:
    12 are PR70s
    35 are PR69s
    3 are PR68s and
    5 I returned of which 2 had grease and 3 had abrasions 2 of which were gauges at the top of the eagle's head. No milk spots on any.
  • Options
    Well if everyone returns the none perfect ones and keeps only the perfect ones. And they get 70 DCAM grades, then the 70DCAm grades will not be hard to find and thus cheaper to buy....correct?
  • Options

<< <i>Well if everyone returns the none perfect ones and keeps only the perfect ones. And they get 70 DCAM grades, then the 70DCAm grades will not be hard to find and thus cheaper to buy....correct? >>

From what I see, there will not be that many 70's. Even the 10 I got today were not 70's, just decent coins.
  • Options
    Maybe I was overly bullish on guessing 12 PR70s out of 55. I think I'll throw the challange flag on myself and review those 12 again.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My batch look fine. No spots on any. Some are definately perfect and undoubtedly a good mix of PR69 and PR70. No complaints here. >>

image I'm keeping mine.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file