Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010 proof eagles are junk

124»

Comments

• Options
    adrianaadriana Posts: 581 ✭✭
    So what else I could have in mind by ordering 100? I'll tell you why! I've been collecting coins for over 50 years, and how did I do this? I sure didn't buy them from my paycheck. I completed a complete set of IHC in XF or better, a complete set of Large cents from 1816 to 1856 in XF or better,and other coins that fancied my taste. I couldn't have accomplished this dream unless I bought several sets from the US Mint. So I made a few dollars, and always saved my proceeds to purchase my dream coin. Attended many many shows, and it was well worth it. This year, the US Mint's quality has been the worst I've ever seen. I returned 48% of my coins of 25 for replacemet. For the price I pay for these proofs, I expect some falicies but not that high of a percentage. Consequently if I resold the ones that are imperfect, I probably wouldn't even get what I paid for them, as I make every attemt to iderntify any imperfections I see into the item description when I sell some on ebay. The customer expects perfection, so do I! Wouldn't you accept the same?
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    The mint's quality control isn't keeping up with all they're spewing out. They charge a nice premium, you think they'd protect their "brand". Unwise.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

At the rate silver is climbing it won't be long before these will be at spot anyway. Then it will not matter, you can just throw the culls in the pot for melt.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    There's not a single one of 20 that I would be happy to put in my Dansco. The first 10 were an absolute disgrace.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    And I'm sure I've received recycled Mint products before. I ordered a C&C set (don't remember which) late in the game. It came with thumb creases where you would pull it out of the sleeve. It had obviously been handled more than once. I kept it anyway.

You better believe the Mint will just re-address these returns to new customers. They'll eventually get shipped to someone who won't care and they know it.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

Well I wont be getting any of them as my final 10 are arriving this morning. If they are junk, then, they too will be going back so that the mint will have more to ship to unwary customers.
  • Options
    Question and pardon my ignorance, I noticed that most of my eagles appear to have small particles on them, it could be dust. Is this normal? Will those small particles affect the grade of the coin?
  • Options

It could be dust but you had better check them under magnification to be sure. That is what made me start looking closely.
  • Options
    Yeah, lots of "particles" on mine too. I actually opened a couple of the plastic cases to see if it was just dust. Nope, it's on the coin. Did you also have the cloudy stains along the obverse edge?
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Question and pardon my ignorance, I noticed that most of my eagles appear to have small particles on them, it could be dust. Is this normal? Will those small particles affect the grade of the coin? >>

Having received mine last night, I would say that what you are seeing is on the coin (if you are looking at the fields).
    I opened the plastic cointainer and when you tilt them, it looks like a small starry field sky image
    That isn't dust......

Whether they affect the grade, or not, I don't know.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>Yeah, lots of "particles" on mine too. I actually opened a couple of the plastic cases to see if it was just dust. Nope, it's on the coin. Did you also have the cloudy stains along the obverse edge? >>

Yep, Indeed image I do not know enough about grading, but find it hard to keep something like this image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Question and pardon my ignorance, I noticed that most of my eagles appear to have small particles on them, it could be dust. Is this normal? Will those small particles affect the grade of the coin? >>

Having received mine last night, I would say that what you are seeing is on the coin (if you are looking at the fields).
    I opened the plastic cointainer and when you tilt them, it looks like a small starry field sky image
    That isn't dust......

Whether they affect the grade, or not, I don't know. >>

I opened one or two containers also to make sure that the container was not the problem. What a bummer.
  • Options

I am making my final report on this junk. All 10 I received today and 5 of the 19 that I received yesterday are going back to the mint. I will keep 5 only.

I have also cancelled my orders for the balance of my 100 2010's and subscriptions for the 2011's . I will buy what I want on ebay from now on.

The problems seem to be with the whole run as I had 4 different delivery dates and these bad coins are through all of them.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed particles but they were mostly on the plastic holder. Perhaps this is obvious but simply tilting the coin reveals that the spot(s) in the field will move when it is a reflection of a particle on the holder and not a particle on the coin.

By the way, anyone have a clue on the mintage of this issue?
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed particles but they were mostly on the plastic holder. Perhaps this is obvious but simply tilting the coin reveals that the spot(s) in the field will move when it is a reflection of a particle on the holder and not a particle on the coin.

By the way, anyone have a clue on the mintage of this issue? >>

The particles will not move. I have opened a couple of these that I have kept and they do not move.

They have not yet announced how many of these they are making.
  • Options
    No good news here....I just received my 10 and things are no better. 8 of the 10 have reverse gouges (multiple) this time on the top part of the shield. They will go back. Two looked perfect.

Ironically I received a survey card packed with my order evaluating the "US Mint's products and packaging". I WILL take the time to go online and fill this one out.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 subs -

2 ... 69/70
    2 frost breaks on obverse
    1 frosted(?) indention on obverse in Liberty's robe
    (nothing unusual...)

received today... 10 first day orders

1 ... 69/70
    4 with the same marks in the same place on the reverse shield and one wing
    1 with a very visible spot
    2 with either a large bit of lint or a large bit of a scratch
    2 with a slight rub in the same place on Liberty's shoulder.

I believed people before. I just wanted to add my confirmation of what people are finding.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Well after searching about 80 of my 100 coins I decided to return them all for a refund. I might regret not getting any of these down the road, but for now I will pick some for my collection on fleabay and be done with this.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    This is probably why they removed the limit on ordering them.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

They probably mailed out 300,000 and got 250,000 back . I know I sent 40 of my 45 back to them and cancelled the rest. It isn't worth the trouble. I only kept 5 because I wanted some for myself.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    I must be lucky. I just finished looking at 25 and apart from a little debris on the inside of the plastic; I found nothing wrong with any of them.
    There was a 1-inch hair on one of them that looked like a large scratch but it came off rather easily when I opened the container.

edit: I'll update when my other orders arrive. Hopefully I'm not getting all of your rejects.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 subs -

2 ... 69/70
    2 frost breaks on obverse
    1 frosted(?) indention on obverse in Liberty's robe
    (nothing unusual...)

received today... 10 first day orders

3 .... 69/70
    4 with the same marks in the same place on the reverse shield and one wing
    1 with a very visible spot
    2 with either a large bit of lint or a large bit of a scratch. -- correction it was long straight lint right on the surface that came off with light blow of air.
    2 wiith a slight rub in the same place on Liberty's shoulder

I believed people before. I just wanted to add my confirmation of what people are finding.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    90% of mine have minor imperfections, but they aren't so bad that they could not be a gift. Looks like 70's will be tough and returns will be swamped.
  • Options
    unreal that they would put out such a crappy coin and expected people to buy and keep them.
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with the returns and lifting the 100 limit it seems supply is still tight. Gotta wait 2 weeks to ship.

One of my returns had a hair in it too along with a gauge on the bird. I prefer my eagles unbruised, please.
  • Options

Wow ! I guess I really woke everybody up with this post.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well after searching about 80 of my 100 coins I decided to return them all for a refund. I might regret not getting any of these down the road, but for now I will pick some for my collection on fleabay and be done with this. >>

Let me get this straight so that I am not misunderstanding you.

You are returning coins to the US Mint for a refund without even looking at them?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well after searching about 80 of my 100 coins I decided to return them all for a refund. I might regret not getting any of these down the road, but for now I will pick some for my collection on fleabay and be done with this. >>

You are returning coins to the US Mint for a refund without even looking at them? >>

If 80 out of 100 are bad, why would the other 20 be any better? They run in streaks.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm quite shocked that the PCGS First Strike PR70's are selling for less than $200 already. I first saw L & C had them yesterday for $200, then looked on eBay and saw some for $20-$30 less. These seem cheap to me?
  • Options
    I was going to pick up a few of these for gifts.Hmmmimage
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to pick up a few of these for gifts.Hmmmimage >>

Isn't that a ship or a vessel ? U.S.S. Iwasgonna ? Or was it the " H.M.S. Imalmostthinkinaboutit" ?

The ship has set sail. They're readily available and if one should go back a couple of pages to see the kitco link to silver, my advice would be "give a gift". That's more appreciated than holding back. Do not hesitate.
    The mint really does put out some fine coins, in spite of what a few have experienced. Sometimes the bashing is justified and sometimes the noise factor insulting the quality is heard loud and clear by they EYES that truly matter. (see the stolen Ike thread/re: Heritage Auctions).
    This is a powerful message board and we ought to be responsible in our approach to keeping a healthy sense of balance in our tiny coin world. A few come out and say "it's all crap" , while some respond favorably. In either event, silver American Eagle deep cameo proof coins are back and it's a lot better than the interruption we all had in this program, experienced in 2009, as it were.

Signed,

Howdy Dodat
    Sales Manager
    U.S. Mint

• Options

<< <i>I'm quite shocked that the PCGS First Strike PR70's are selling for less than $200 already. I first saw L & C had them yesterday for $200, then looked on eBay and saw some for $20-$30 less. These seem cheap to me? >>

And if you use bill me later, you will get $13.80 in e bay bucks too. I just bought one for $161.20 with free shipping and my $13.80 e bay bucks. Not a bad deal!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

You are returning coins to the US Mint for a refund without even looking at them? >>

If 80 out of 100 are bad, why would the other 20 be any better? They run in streaks. >>

Spoken like a true expert in the field! image

BTW, I recently bought a roll of 1970-D quarters from a noted online coin dealer where each coin was still in the original packaging it had been cut from. The first 30 were all exactly the same. I shoulda returned the lot but am glad I didn't since the last 10 yeilded a very nice FS-802 DDR.

Whatever!

Returning coins to the US Mint without even looking at them is as abusive of the system as it gets!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2010 proof eagles are junk >>

"They are not."

"They are too."

"Not"

"Too"

This has got to be one of the more dramatic PsOTY.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options

<< <i>The order I made on the 22nd (packed on 11/30) just arrived and the quaility is supurb on all 10......
    way better than my subcription order of which I sent 5 of 10 back.

seny 5 of these back from my subcription order.

image >>

dupapa.... My separate order of 5 came today, shipped last week.

think I got 3 of your returns..... same mark on claw'

edit to add ..... what are you using to get those images?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

If 80 out of 100 are bad, why would the other 20 be any better? They run in streaks. >>

Spoken like a true expert in the field! image

BTW, I recently bought a roll of 1970-D quarters from a noted online coin dealer where each coin was still in the original packaging it had been cut from. The first 30 were all exactly the same. I shoulda returned the lot but am glad I didn't since the last 10 yeilded a very nice FS-802 DDR.

Whatever!

Returning coins to the US Mint without even looking at them is as abusive of the system as it gets! >>

You are entitled to that opinion, I suppose that you think that sending junk to customers is not abusive, at least they do not loose crap cause they get the junk back, but I am out of 200 bucks between shipping and insurance. Maybe they should refund that also!!! I have to say that I love this forum, however it amuses me to see the amount of people full of opinions, telling others essentially how they should spend their money and i have never seen a group of people try so hard to force their sense of morality on to others. I pay for the coins, only I decide what I will keep and what I will send back. The day people start paying my bills is the day that I will start caring about their opinions. By the way 19Lyds, please do not take this as a personal attack as I said I respect your opinion, but it is only fair that I share mine.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    I received my 10 today and I don't see any issues at all. They are have full frost, no spots or claw hits. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file