Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE: Giveaway - I just topped 300 ...

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
UPDATE

Well...this didn't generate as much discussion about Overton varieties as I had hoped.

So...I will changes the rules a bit.

Some folks were guessing a random number between 1 and 450 and not the year and die marriage, I am going to go ahead and allow the "random number" guess as I have just gone through the die marriages and figured out which "number" it would be from 1 to 450.

But if you just want to guess a random number, you must include some statement about CBHs in the message as well (be creative!). Maybe we can generate some conversation.

Let's go ahead and run the giveaway through Sunday, October 17 at midnight, PCGS posting time.

Lane

--------------------------
... and with enough cheeseburgers and pizzas you can too! image

But this is a different kind of 300; namely Overton varieties.

Here is the giveaway. The first person to guess which coin was the 300th Overton variety (out of the 450 known) to be added to my set, will receive the Capped Bust half pictured below. One guess per Board member only, please. I'll run the giveaway through Sunday, October 3 at midnight, PCGS posting time.

Edited to add ... For those who may not be familiar with Overton varieties, the correct answer must have the year and Overton variety for that year, not a guess from 1 to 450. For example, the coin below is 1827 O-119.

The coin was purchased from fellow Board member TennesseeDave and it turned out that I already had the variety! So my duplicate could start you on your Overton journey ... just post the correct guess. The coin is an 1827 O-119, R3. The images are Dave's as my camera is packed away. [Note: The coin was imaged in a flip, so there are some reflections, but you get an idea of the coin ... plus it's free, dang it! image)

imageimage

Good luck!

Lane
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    1813 0-101
  • Options
    I don't know anything about overton varieties but I'll guess 247 if that's how they work lol.
  • Options
    245image
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    I guess it is the one in the original post: 1827 O-119. At least I hope it is!!
    Aggie
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know anything about overton varieties but I'll guess 247 if that's how they work lol. >>

Well ... no ... that's not actually how the Overton varieties work. Each year has a series of die marriages (or varieties) that are noted by the "Overton number" for that year. For example, 1819 has 15 different die marriages, numbered O-101 through O-115. The numbering restarts each year. So that, following 1819, comes 1820 which has 8 marriages, from O-101 through O-108. It's the same for each year of the series (except 1807 for which Draped Bust halves were struck as well and 1816 when no halves were struck).

So the guess needs to include the year and die marriage for that year. Like the coin in the OP, which is an 1827 O-119.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>1813 0-101 >>

Now there's a proper guess ... not saying if it's right or not, however. image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    coin22lovercoin22lover Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭
    1836 O-109 image
  • Options
    1812 single leaf?? don't know the Overton#
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    1818 109
  • Options

<< <i>1812 single leaf?? don't know the Overton# >>

I do ... image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Congrats Lane, you're 2/3 of the way there imageimage

I'm'a gonna say you cherried an 1827 O-149 image
    If I'm correct, that would be super awesome image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrat's Lane!

I'm going to guess you got an 1823 Ugly 3, which I think is a O-110 (or O-110a)

Whatever it is, congrat's on a pretty major milestone!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    1795 -- O-113

Thanx for the chance!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    this is too difficult for those that no nothing about overtons. For those that don't know, can you just put our names in the hat or ?
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    Well...this didn't generate as much discussion about Overton varieties as I had hoped.

So...I will changes the rules a bit.

Some folks were guessing a random number between 1 and 450 and not the year and die marriage, I am going to go ahead and allow the "random number" guess as I have just gone through the die marriages and figured out which "number" it would be from 1 to 450.

But if you just want to guess a random number, you must include some statement about CBHs in the message as well (be creative!). Maybe we can generate some conversation.

Let's go ahead and run the giveaway through Sunday, October 17 at midnight, PCGS posting time.

Lane

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    1825 O-110
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

ok know nothing about the varieties.My random number guess is 187.As for some discussion I picked up a 1832CBH in an NGC genuine holder for about 15.00 on ebay.Someone scratched it at the 2 on the date.Still bought it as the oldest coin in my collection.Wouldnt mind having a coin without issues.image
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got nutin' on these coins, so my thought is, well, where would I got to find out information on them...?

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    1807 O-108
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    328, CBH's are beautiful coins and I would like to own one someday.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    1822 O-107
    Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Capped Bust coins are generally out of my league, I need to guess #118.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    1826 O-103

That's my "bust" guess! image
  • Options

<< <i>1826 O-103

That's my "bust" guess! image >>

Ughh...that's sooooo bad! image
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    baddspellarbaddspellar Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    Since all I can do is guess anyway, I'll say 237.

How about a CBH Haiku?

No more silver coins
    Struck with Anna's lovely face
    Reich's mistress instead
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1826 O-103

That's my "bust" guess! image >>

Ughh...that's sooooo bad! image >>

Yessir!! I'll be here all week!!!
  • Options