Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you were told you could only collect a single year of coinage, what year would you choose?

2»

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could add, "AND you could have unlimited funds," I'd go for 1796. It's the only year in which a collector can put together a complete year set of early U.S. coins with all ten of the denominations that were authorized by the Coinage Act of 1792.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1652 - Massachusetts silver by die variety. >>

Except that you could not have any 1662 two pence pieces, and the NE coinage was undated. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    1793 naturally.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could only collect a single year, I'd find a new hobby. That said, I like 1861---a lot of history happened and there are a lot of neat coins produced that year. I already have a 6 piece gold type set from that year.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    1853 would be my second choice of a date within my means. If I had the means 1796
  • Options

<< <i>1972 with its very limited coinage of 1972 D type B quarters and 1972 (P) type 2 dollars.
    How many of you folk have the both of those? >>

Four 1972 Eisenhower Type 2's two August release and two March release
    No 1972 D type "B" reverse quarters.
    Do have 1972 D type "M" though image
    which for some reason I find more interesting

It is strange that my Ike collecting has narrowed down to such a point
    that I find myself looking primarily at the 71 P&D and 72 P&D Ike's.
    And my Washington Quarter collecting narrowed down to the late 60's
    and early 70's.

Terry
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    1793 followed by 1798 and 1794.
  • Options
    I would have to go with my icon year

Regards, Larryimage
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>1652 - Massachusetts silver by die variety. >>

Except that you could not have any 1662 two pence pieces, and the NE coinage was undated. image >>

True...but I would be happy to build and continuously upgrade a collection of Pine, Oak and Willow Tree sixpence, threepence and shillings. I think that would be enough of a challenge!
  • Options

<< <i>Definitely a transition year... 1916, 1838, or most likely 1807. possibly 1797 if i had some kind of windfall to work with >>

I think that 1839 would be my date, it has cool mules on the half-dollar and the gold coins are special plus all of the new southern mints are represented on the Obv of the coins. It was the "meat-ist" year of the 1836-1840 transition period when they went from steam presses and standardize all the coinage.
  • Options
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1877 generally or 1793 in copper
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1915. Fun year! Lots of key dates and the big Pan Pac slugs.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not limiting myself to just it but am having fun with 1853. One year type in some and Arrows and no Arrows in others. Plus coins that were worth more than melt even back then.
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1853 or 1876, lots of different coins for both years.
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I would tell my wife to stop telling me what to do, again. And tell her it is my collection and I will do as I please with it.image

But I really like 1795.
    Richard
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1933 gold type set would be short and sweet enough for me.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1792 - Great coins, it's years between decent offerings and that would give me time to save up. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file