Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Collecting...100 years from now.

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collectors will be amazed at the ease which proof coinage from the past can be obtained.

US Government will STILL have hoards of unreleased $1 coins, much the same as the bags of Morgan Dollars.

Zinc Business strike cents will be nearly impossible to find in collector grades.

Gold coins will be eagerly sought and valued at astronomical prices.

PCGS and NCG slabbed coins from "back in the day" will hold huge premium values.

Large Cents will be the 'hottest' vintage coin series.

TPG techniques will include argon filled slabs with advanced RFID type identification.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also... fully computerized grading with permanent, digital records. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Zager & Evans song stuck in my head now.

In the year 2525 image If man is still alive....If woman can survive.....they may find.......
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    PCGS will be renamed Peking Coin Grading Service.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    "Good coins will still be hard to find. Dreck will be hard to move."
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭
    Richard Nachbar will be calling it quits.......

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about coin collecting,
    but there will only be electronic money,
    no coins or currency.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know about coin collecting,
    no coins or currency. >>

Ain't this the truth!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins, which disappeared from use in the 2020's when cash transactions were outlawed, are a curiosity item that are saved by a few eccentric types.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...slabs will be 6X8 inches in size to accommodate all the extra + or bean or star designations that will have evolved

in this time period. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins, which disappeared from use in the 2020's when cash transactions were outlawed, are a curiosity item that are saved by a few eccentric types. >>

Called numismatists or something else (crazy).
    Paul
  • Options
    Bear will have broken the quarter million post point
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

<< <i>Coin Collecting...100 years from now.
    >>

...."Hello..Yes this is the U.S.Mint operator and I can take your order for Presidential Dollars....we have loads and loads of them left"........snicker...snicker...image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do realize that it could all happen like that next year.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Ol' curly will still be interested in the hot ones, he just won't remember why.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Going as a wild guess, I would say in 100 years a Presidential dollar would be worth about a penny in today's value after the hyperinflation happens and debt crisis, much like people that traveled in mexico a few years back have gobs of worthless money from that country.

Nearly all of the clad coinage except for very highest grades has long been melted for scrap or turned into the government for conversion at a penny on the dollar.

Gold coins are what maintained their value, the spouse coins that nobody wanted, especially the Liberty ones sell for decent premiums. 2008 w Gold buffalo coins are most valuable.

Many collectors of non-gold classics got burned in the hyperinflation, with values of collections plunging 500% or more.

When coin dealers say some coin collections are only worth melt, they really are, and that is non-gold.image
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Because of the abundance of undetectable counterfeits, the most common surviving Lincoln cent will be 1909S VDB.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ol' curly will still be interested in the hot ones, he just won't remember why. >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    People will be slabbing old Debit cards. A debit card from 1993 will sell for 8 figures, in AU grade.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will be renamed Peking Coin Grading Service. >>

lmao, no kidding
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2110 collectors and dealers will still look down their nose at any coin minted after 1964 [clads] as Modern Crapimage

Further going to a coin show held on 12-16-2110 and cruising the bourse in you personal, antigravity, single seat, convertible, mini hovercraft, with built in felt tray, halogen light, variable loupe/scanning electron microscope/sniffer/net connection/hi-def 3D plasma screen/mini-bar you will:

a. still see dealers wearing shirts that have mustard stains on them; and

b. will receive a U.S. Coin Forum news flash/update from SanctionIV [my then 70 year old grandson] that the 156 year old judge in the Langbord lawsuit has finally issued a ruling [from his bed inside of his hermetically sealed chambers at the US Courthouse in Philly] on the two pending motions that were submitted to him for decision on 12-16-2009 and that he has also set a trial date in the case for August 16, 2177 [the 200th anniversary of the death of Elvis]imageimageimage
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the human element will be removed from all of people's behavior by then.

"Apps" will replace all human thoughts, education, memory, and judgment.

A robot will evaluate the collectible item, negotiate price and terms, issue debt and derivatives against it, float them in the market where they will be automatically packaged and sold to other Apps, and all this will happen in a fraction of a second and all the computing power will be maintained in the Computer Cloud.

the actual humans will look and act a lot like the "people" characters in the movie "Wall-E": very rotund, very lazy, everything put in their reach and done for them automatically

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The famous "Eric Jordan Hoard" of rare Modern Bullion will be setting the world on fire with prices approaching $500 Quadrillion "New Dollars".
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    People will be slabbing old Debit cards. A debit card from 1993 will sell for 8 figures, in AU grade. image

Now that wouldn,t suprise me.
    COINHUNTER
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Coins will no longer be in circulation. Coin collecting will be done by far fewer.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric Newman will be 200 years old, and the only person that remembers anything useful.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sophisticated machine will be developed that will be able to reproduce small metal objects. The reproductions will be indistinguishable from the originals even at microscopic levels of examination.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All rare coins will be stored in a sealed containment zone in the Nevada desert. Collectors will buy and sell ownership in the coins and compete for set registries by assembling the images of the coins. Only counterfeits, doctored coins and Native American dollars (still in production) will be available to "touch". Coins to be used as money are a memory except in Ecuador, where counterfeit Native American dollars still circulate freely for use in the stalls where you can park your Segway.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Susan B Anthony dollars will be considered "classic coinage" image

JH
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lincoln cent will get another new reverse.

The Washington quarter will run out of things to commemorate and will revert to the design of 1932.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    The smallest coin in circulation, $1 Michelle Obama coin, has plenty of detractors who claim that it is no longer practical to have an aluminum coin in circulation as it now costs $2 to make one $1 coin. The US Treasury made one Trillion $1 coins in the previous year and is thinking of cutting back to help save on the $14 Quadrillion Dollar deficit
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, dbcoin a deficit at only 14000 times the smallest coin of the nation? That would translate to today's deficit at only $140. Cool huh?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Hey, dbcoin a deficit at only 14000 times the smallest coin of the nation? That would translate to today's deficit at only $140. Cool huh?

check your math

1 Quadrillion is 1000 Trillion

Smallest coin in circ now is 1c, smallest coin 100 years from now $1 = 100X greater

Debt now is $14Trillion
    Debt 100 years from now $14Quadrillion is 1000X greater

So actual debt has grown by 10X over smallest coin. Seems reasonable. Lets have our great, great, grandkids meet at that years ANA and settle a bet. David Hall IV can be the arbitrator. What say you?image
  • Options
    <<<I don't know about coin collecting,
    no coins or currency. >>>

Or;

• Options
    I will also predict the following

The population of the United States will be 46 million people. The Great Chinese War, which took place from 2019 to 2028...had an unfavorable outcome.

Most people will get around on horseback, or bicycle.

The country will be divided into six zones, each ruled by a Lord appointed by Bejing.

Flying home made Kites will be the most popular hobby.

Native Americans, Indians....will account for 30 percent of the population.

Sasquatch, having been discovered alive in 2050, will become mainstream and by 2098 will dominate sports.

• Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ol' curly will still be interested in the hot ones, he just won't remember why. >>

Curly, We're talking about coins here.image
    ED
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    the cent and the paper dollar will finally be removed from circulation...
    figglehorn
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Richard Nachbar will be calling it quits....... >>

ROFLMFAO
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    Those gorgeous rainbow toners will be jet black and toasty! image

The ms 65 of today will be ms66 in the future.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    PCGS will announce "the bigger one" ...

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    By 2110 the current fiat currency will have long since collapsed.
    the resulting dis-trust of the citizens of the planet of any currency with out
    something tangible attached to it, be it Gold, Silver,Copper, Platinum or what ever metal becomes
    popular and as perceived to have value backing it up will make it that coins will become
    the primary units of trade. (Again) Keeping coin collecting as one of the great hobbies to be enjoyed.

It will be discovered by a 10 year old boy in South West Michigan with a pair
    of tin snips that inside each 2010 Lincoln Shield Cent was placed at production, a small
    rice grain size passive tracking device that leads to the country wide destruction
    of almost the entire mintage by an outraged population.
    Making the surviving specimen's one of the rarest coins
    in all of Numismatics. with a total population of 12 specimens left after a 5 year long
    country wide well publicized search.
    Then My Great Grand son finds a roll in an old safe
    left to him by his nutty old great grand father. image
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Investment advisors will be touting 1964 Pointed Tail "9" dimes.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    A.P.

Since the Coin Repeal Act of 2109, the
    Separated States have been scrambling
    to put in redemption centers to handle
    the influx of coins being surrendered by
    all S.S. citizens.

It has been estimated that over 14.5
    billion coins have already been surrendered
    and the Separated States Investigation Unit
    expect at least twice that number still remain
    at large. To find a redemption center near
    your area, contact your local Partisan Leader,
    which are assigned to every precinct.

Your co-operation is expected.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    100 years from now, I will have recently died after returning from my honeymoon with my 24 year old, fourth wife. Who will then proceed to sell my entire collection of early 20th century gold on Craigslist. For which she will receive a certified check in the amount of $ 1,000,000 and all she will have to do is send the gold to Nigeria along with a $5000 brokers fee to complete the transaction. Okay, I've just decided to stay with wife # 1.

• Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A hot item will be a 2110 first strike proof 70 dcam $10,000 piece celebrating the 2030 first maned mars landing...Made out of Palladium of course... image

ABimage
  • Options
    Actually, I wonder where my coins will be in 100 years. None of my relatives have an interest in them. Most don't even know I have them. I wonder how many will still exist. Wonder if any will still be in the slabs in which they currently reside.

The question of if coins would still be collected. What would the minters of old store tokens think if they knew what 1 of there tokens was selling for now. As long as there are people there will be collectors. It is in our nature to gather things. Some gather coin, some sports cards, some Depression Glass, etc. etc.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

<< <i>Investment advisors will be touting 1964 Pointed Tail "9" dimes. >>

image.........image......Why wait....!?!??!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I will be writing Road Reports using a very advanced computer similar to the one with the sultry female voice on the original 'Star Trek'.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 years from now, there will be no circulating coinage anywhere. The current fiat system collapsed in 2030. The debt of 250 trillion has been deleted by a few key strokes. All gold and silver has been seized by the Machine. Every human will have a microchip inserted in there wrist, everything is a digital purchase. Your employer will add digital units to it every week. Point of sale swipe devices will be in every home and business, and humans will have the ability to swap digi dollars from person to person. The coin hobby was wiped out by counterfeits. The fakes were so good experts couldn't disern the fake slab from the genuine one. This also wiped out the counterfeiters themselves. Old credit cards are now the hot collectable, as the Machine purchased all the CC companies after there failure. Sounds like a Ray Bradbury novel.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file