Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 D original Unc, Kennedy 50C roll question

What is the going rate for original unc. Kennedy 50c rolls{1964-D}--is there any premium over the bullion price? I have them figured at around $133.00 per roll as bullion given silver spot of $18.46 and silver content per kennedy of 0.36 oz. A very good friend just discovered his deceased father's stash of Kennedy rolls and I promised to come up with a fair price for him. Thank you in advance. TomT.
TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org

Comments

• Strictly bullion, unless you find a sucker...
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Tom, I don't deal in them, but looked them up in the CDN. In the July Monthly Supplement that date was bid at $140 (with an ask of $150) for BU rolls, which is the common date bid. It sounds as if they trade based on their silver content.
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    bushmaster8 and coinguy1, thank you--I really appreciate the information as I almost never fool with bullion. TomT.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience is also that these are bullion pieces.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    With a mintage of over 156 million !!!!...I guess bullion is the best bet...
    ......Larry........image

• << <i>With a mintage of over 156 million !!!!...I guess bullion is the best bet... >>

Combine that sky high mintage with a much, much higher survival rate than normal (nearly EVERYONE from that generation was saving them) and you have a perfect recipe for bullion.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, bullion is the best bet - unless you can get a budding Kennedy collector....Cheers, RickO
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the minting quality of 1964-D half dollars, but about a year ago I ran across two unopened rolls of 1961-D half dollars. I thought GREAT! There should be at least a couple MS-64 or so coins here. When I opened the rolls, most everything was MS-60 or 61, NOT because of marks or post mint problems, but simply the Denver mint had done a horrible job of striking the coins from the get-go. They were weakly stuck (no breaks in the luster) and unattractive. There was perhaps one piece that graded MS-63 and a couple of MS-62s. The rest was dreack and had been dreack since they fell from the dies in 1961.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Your right Bill...the Denver mint back in those years had terrible strikes.Even the favored 70 D kennedy Half that was only inluded in mint sets is hard to come by in high grades due to marks and weak strikes.If your looking for one in a high grade your gonna have to fork over an arm and a leg....!!!!
    ......Larry........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file