Its Sold after 20 Years of owning it.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
She's gone.....

but I still have these.....image

and the wife still has this...image

Ken

Comments

• WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Robin's egg blue or turquoise? Not the tone on the Merc's...the other Merc.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you could have replaced the dimes more easily! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    ...thought you meant the wife. Sorry about the car.
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Getting rid of a 1964 Ford Fairlane..That's just wrong.image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you could have replaced the dimes more easily! image >>

True, but the dimes are a lot less of a PITA to keep up.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>...thougth you meant the wife. Sorry about the car. >>

Yeah those are as easier replaced then finding a wheatie in change! image
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yeah those are as easier replaced then finding a wheatie in change! image >>

Hell, I'd take a circ wheatie for mine any day. imageimage
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wife will stay. After 37 years she is just getting trained. The car was only out of the garage 4 times in the last 2 years. Hopefully someone will enjoy it as much as I have. Its Robin Egg Blue. We still have the wifes 65 Falcon Convert so all is not lost....image

Ken
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

The wife will stay. After 37 years she is just getting trained. The car was only out of the garage 4 times in the last 2 years. Hopefully someone will enjoy it as much as I have. Its Robin Egg Blue. We still have the wifes 65 Falcon Convert so all is not lost....image

Ken >>

Saw it on Ebay. Great car, and with factory 4-speed!

<< <i>Hell, I'd take a circ wheatie for mine any day. imageimage >>

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Uncle George, who was a marine motor mechanic...had a 63 fairlane decades ago. While in NYC...he lost all forward gears. He actually got to the tunnel *driving in reverse*...before the cops nailed him.
  • Is that a 289 emblem on the left front quarter panel?
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it's time to change your avatar, yes?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Sorry about the car, it is a beauty. My first car was a Ford Galaxie 500 1966. I miss it much more than my first coin, as I cannot remember what my first coin was. image
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to see her go Ken.That's like loosing part of the familyimage.
    I hope the next owner will take care of it as well as you have.
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    Sell the Fords and buy a 1987 Buick Grand National.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that looks like one sweet ride!!

I've never been much of a car buff.

My first car was a Toyota Corona Deluxe.

That's 'Corona' (as in the beer), not Corolla.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good things come and unfortanatly they go at times
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, she was (is) a sweetie ... image

like someone else mentioned, after that long, like losing part of the family. Of course, knowing you the dime set would feel the same way.

hopefully all is well! image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful car! Do you have to change your name now?
  • Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    i believe its a 260 Cubic Inch V8

i see bucket seats.....was it a 4 speed??
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice ride, sorry for your sale. Hey, buy a 2011 Mustang 5.0image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the dimes on the market as well?? image Cheers, RickO
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    i would guess its a 289 , what a car thats all I can say. The dimes are cool too.

<< <i>i believe its a 260 Cubic Inch V8

i see bucket seats.....was it a 4 speed?? >>

It was a 289 car to start with. I put a J-Code 68 302 in it to get a little pep when banging gears with the 4 speed. The interior came out of a 65 Fairlane Sports Coupe. Bucket seats and a console. She was fun and like I said before was sold because I never drive it anymore and that is just not good for a car in my opinion.

I still collect Fairlane parts so the name will still be good for the time being.

"Nice ride, sorry for your sale. Hey, buy a 2011 Mustang 5.0"

I have a good friend, thats 62 years old, that just bought a 2010 Mustang GT. Its a real good looking car but certaily only a 2 seater.

Ken
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Ken, my first car was a Ford Galaxie, so I know the marque. I am guessing there is not going to be a replacement. I am lucky as my wife loves our SLK350 and is onboard for me getting a Lotus Europa to join the garage.

I hope this will fund some Merc purchases. I still have my Mercateer t-shirt from a few years back.

Rick

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Some people just don't get it why people like old coins or old cars...
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a golfing buddy that could use that car.

He's always saying, "My swing thoughts have the shelf life of a raspberry in a windows-shut Ford Fairlane on a summer day in east Texas". image

Congrats. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a real car!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I can't believe you didn't give me a chance to buy that car from you!!!!!! (Although, I was under the impression it still had it's original 289.) You know I loved that car, Ken! image

• nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sell the Fords and buy a 1987 Buick Grand National. >>

Modern Crap!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now go out and look for a 1962 Mercury Monterey covertible

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Oh no! But on the on the positive side, you have a 65 Falcon, and a rag top to boot? Neat car! Picture please.

I vote that if he wants it, Ken has dibs on Falconman.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I know that was not easy, you have my condolances

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    >>

"Nice ride, sorry for your sale. Hey, buy a 2011 Mustang 5.0"

I have a good friend, thats 62 years old, that just bought a 2010 Mustang GT. Its a real good looking car but certaily only a 2 seater.

Ken >>

I'm 62 and traded in my '09 and picked up a 2011... 6 speed standard trans... scary fast and fun to drive.. I do like the glass roof..

I did like the looks of my '09 better but it was too much flash for an old timer..

• speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Don't get me wrong, I love American made stuff, but some things I just prefer Italian (I am part italian after all.)... image

On a side note, the new mustangs are nice! My sisters boyfriend has one and it was better than expected image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

<< <i>Oh no! But on the on the positive side, you have a 65 Falcon, and a rag top to boot? Neat car! Picture please.

I vote that if he wants it, Ken has dibs on Falconman. >>

Here is the Falcon. No sentiment with this car because it was just bought and not built by myself like the Fairlane was. The wife likes it though.

Ken
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Looks great! Good color. image
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    I must be retarded. I'd prefer to own that old Ford over Speety's incredibly beautiful machine.....

Nice ride, Mrs. Fairlaneman! image
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to bust out with my 66 Rivi...
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>I must be retarded. I'd prefer to own that old Ford over Speety's incredibly beautiful machine.....

Nice ride, Mrs. Fairlaneman! image >>

Don't blame you at all! My uncle in Seattle has a 1969 Charger customized with specs similar to The General Lee (he's a machinist so he did most of the work himself...) and it's pretty cool. I just prefer the Italian beauty personally. image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel your pain Fairlaneman. I sold my 1969 Roadrunner "383" convertible back in 2004 and have sort of longed to be able to drive one again. But like you, I was only making it to a couple of car events per year and it just wasn't right to let the car sit all that time.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Wow, that is a beauty! My first car purchase in 1977 was a 64 Fairlane 4dr, 289/c4, Wimbledon White. I reckon if it had been a 2dr, I would have never sold it.

I loved that car, but sold it after buying a '65 Fairlane 2dr hdtop, 289-4v/c4 in a dark blue that almost looked black and with the chrome trim and Cragar SS mags, it was pretty sharp.
    In the next 2-3yrs following, I bought a '66 Fairlane 500XL 2dr hdtp, 390/C6 with buckets, factory air - the works, and also a Rangoon Red '63 Fairlane Sports Coupe with 260, factory air, PS PB buckets console 2spd auto. I LOVE old Fairlanes!

Eventually ended up with a '65 Mustang fastback 289/4spd and that was the end of my Fairlane days, but I've always wished I could have a couple of them back.

I hope nobody minds, but I thought I would share a pic of each of my old Fairlanes (in the order that I purchased them). I went from collecting Fords to collecting coins!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I challenge all you hot rod guys to a race. Ill beat you hands down. I just get to pick "where" we race!
    (BTW in my driveway is my 1964 Studebaker Cruiser, which Ive owned since 1973!)

imageimage
  • Ha ha! I love it! After getting away from the Fairlanes, here's my ride today!
    Of all the next rides that could have been posted .... This is too funny!
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool cars all. I wish I still had my 66' Fairlane GT--390-Tw4bbls with the green dot transmission. Great car, great ride, great times.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file