Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Lance Alworth Collection - Added many new scans

I am a big fan of the old AFL Chargers, and my favorite player from that era is Lance Alworth. As a result, I like to collect unique Alworth-related items. I have many more, but these are some of my favorites...

I had the opportunity to purchase a replica of Alworth's Pro Football Hall of Fame bust. A local eating establishment had long ago borrowed Alworth's actual bust, had a mold made, and cast three plaster replicas. They are exact, with the exception of color (actual HoF busts are coated with a bronze color, and this one is white). There are only three of these copies in existence, and there will not be any others made. So I bought this thing for $300. I later met with Lance and he signed it for me.

A very little-known and scarce pre-rookie card. This postcard-sized card was produced by Lee Jeans, and handed out at a signing Lance did after the football season in his senior year at Arkansas.

An original wire photo of Alworth signing his first Chargers contract under the goal posts after his last collegiate game. Note that Al Davis is the one holding the contract for Alworth to sign:

An original print of the photo used on Alworth's 1963 Fleer rookie card.

The first AFL press release (that I know of) that focuses on Alworth, dated August 9, 1962 - just after he reported to Chargers camp.

Alworth's other rookie card, a 1962 Union Oil card.

Perhaps the rarest item that I have. This is a 1962/1963 Golden Arrow Dairy Milk Cap featuring Alworth. I know of only one other in existence.

A team issued photo from his rookie season of 1962.

One of my favorite game programs, from Thanksgiving Day, 1964.

Original newspaper cartoon art from the Chicago Tribune.

A record album called Winning The Game of Life, featuring Alworth. Talks about his life as a Christian.

A rare advertisement and bottle of Venture Hair Tonic. I showed this to Lance and he said that he had never even heard of the product, and that they must have completely made up the endorsement because he had never said it.

Alworth set a record in 1969 by catching a pass in 96 consecutive games. Here are an original wire photo of the catch, the game program, and an unused ticket to the game.

A rare Eskimo Pie card.

An old bumper sticker from the 1960s

A TSN AFL Guide.

And finally, a program, ticket and field pass from the game in 2005 when the Chargers retired Alworth's #19.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Nice youtube video of the dude.

Thanks for sharing your collection.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing collection! Thanks so much for sharing, would love to see more if you have the time to post.

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a GREAT collection Todd! image

The HOF bust is incredible!

I have a few Alworth items, like an autographed 1962 Union Oil portrait (I also have the Jack Kemp autographed), one of the 96th game catch wire photos, and an original cartoon artwork by Phil Bissell of the Boston Globe, that he did when Lance was inducted in the HOF. It still can't compete with yours though.

Steve
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that HOF bust in awesome. That is a one of a kind!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Todd ... love the hair tonic story ... I know this is only a TINY PIECE of the AFL collection that you have! ENJOY!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Great collection!!!!!
    Thank you for showing these!!!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Great stuff, thanks for sharing. What did he write on the original print of the photo used on Alworth's 1963 Fleer rookie card?
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. He wrote "Whoo Pig, Sooey," which I believe is some sort of rally cry for the Arkansas Razorbacks.
    Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks. He wrote "Whoo Pig, Sooey," which I believe is some sort of rally cry for the Arkansas Razorbacks. >>

Yep, it's called "Calling the Hogs"

Link

Link #2

Steve
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>An original wire photo of Alworth signing his first Chargers contract under the goal posts after his last collegiate game. Note that Al Davis is the one holding the contract for Alworth to sign:

image >>

Gotta love how the AFL worked back then.

Thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    What a fabulous collection. I love his autograph.

Did Al mention that day when he presented Lance at his HOF induction?
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great collection, love the the auto display of the bust, helmet and book the best. The Venture hair tonic is a neat item also.

Thanks for sharing...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Just fantastic.
    Love to see people with nice master collections of players.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Todd,

Your AFL Collection is AWESOME!!

It's always a treat for me when you post, as I enjoyed the AFL as a kid also.

Thanks so much for this latest installment.
    Extremely Cool Bambi Items.

To me ...... Namath, Dawson, & Lance were the A.F.L.

Great Stuff!

• Options
    Thanks! I will try to add more scans tonight or tomorrow. I have a lot of Alworth stuff.
  • Options
    OK, here are some more scans. Still not everything...

A book about growing up in Arkansas in the 1960s called, "Where Have You Gone, Lance Alworth?" I got it signed by the author, and by Alworth.

Should have added this to the first batch. This is Alworth with Don Huston, whose record Lance broke with his 96th consecutive game with a reception.

Celebrating the 1963 AFL Championship.

Alworth's first AFL All-Star Game appearance

Alworth's first game in a Chargers uniform

Senior year college yearbook

College All-Star Game program

1961 Cotton Bowl Ticket Stub. Alworth had a fantastic game.

Most of the rest of my stuff is cards and photos. Maybe I will add more later...
  • Options
    Again, just amazing stuff!

The old AFL programs are outstanding, really like them a lot.
  • Options
    Any Alworth fan should fall head over heels for this shirt, featured in the Heritage auction ending this Friday (April 23).

1964-65 Lance Alworth Game Worn Jersey
    Thank you,
    Jonathan Scheier
    Cataloger - Consignment Director
    Heritage Auctions (www.HA.com)
    JonathanS@HA.com
    1-800-872-6467 X1314

Consign to auction at Consign to Heritage Auctions

Connect with Heritage at Connect with Heritage Auctions
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Todd, I was googling Alworth bottle caps because I collect those and this thread showed up near the top of Google. I figured your Alworth collection is so amazing that this deserves a bump.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great collection.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Hey Todd, I was googling Alworth bottle caps because I collect those and this thread showed up near the top of Google. I figured your Alworth collection is so amazing that this deserves a bump.

This thread definitely deserved a bump! One of my favorite player collections in the hobby!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go, Todd!

Add the jersey, @AFLfan !!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Wow! This thread is almost 13 years old. Lol. I've traded away a few of those pieces, but certainly added many more in the years since starting this thread. But Lance is still my favorite player to collect, and I am fortunate to say is a good friend. I'm out of town right now, so don't have access to photos, but maybe will add some when I get home.

• Options

I'm back in town now and have access to my images, so here are some Alworth pieces I have either picked up or had slabbed since I started this thread.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    I'm back in town now and have access to my images, so here are some Alworth pieces I have either picked up or had slabbed since I started this thread.

Very Unique...That's cool... B)

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice stuff. One of my all-time favorite players.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice additions! There is something about a great name and Lance Alworth is a really cool one!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.