Home Sports Talk
Options

2009 - 10 Red Sox Off Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>boston.com says the Sox just signed Scutaro (two years plus option) pending a physical. scuse me if I'm not excited. >>

It's hard to get excited given our recent history. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until at least the first week of the season! image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the "good part" about this is that the contract is for two years (option year #3). That should give Iglesias time to mature in minor league ball without a rush to the big leagues. And yes, he's easily the number nine hitter, unless Varitek happens to be catching that day.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Agreed. Just the latest overpaid bust at shortstop - I would rather they kept A-Gon (yes, Toronto is better off now). Theo should delegate shortstop decisions to Jed Hoyer. >>

The problem with that is that Hoyer is the GM in San Diego now. image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<"When the idea of moving back to shortstop was floated to me, I welcomed it," Pedroia said. "I'm excited. Tell Derek [Jeter] to enjoy the gold glove and silver slugger awards while he can.">>

Awfully big talk for a guy whose best ever offensive season amounts to what Jeter has averaged over a 14 year career. >>

It is obvious Pedroia was joking, I read that at some training arena it is not uncommon for Pedroia to talk smack at a ping pong table making statements to guys like Mark Texeira such as " Grab a paddle and I will drive this ping pong down your throat!"

The kid is just having fun.

As far as Scutaro goes, Im looking forward to him having a good season! image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Agreed. Just the latest overpaid bust at shortstop - I would rather they kept A-Gon (yes, Toronto is better off now). Theo should delegate shortstop decisions to Jed Hoyer. >>

The problem with that is that Hoyer is the GM in San Diego now. image >>

Oh crap, forgot about that.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The problem with that is that Hoyer is the GM in San Diego now. image >>

Oh crap, forgot about that. >>

that's cool, since at least you are aware that Coco Crisp was traded.
  • Options
    From the Globe today:

INDIANAPOLIS - As Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has begun to navigate the offseason and the free agent period, there is a sense that he is working hard to manage expectations. Over and over yesterday in his session with the media at baseball’s winter meetings, Epstein used the word “bridge,’’ his buzzword for the period between years of great teams, teams that can win the World Series, teams that are of the caliber Sox fans demand.

Full Story

Is anyone else getting the sense that the best we can hope for next year is maybe 85-90 wins and an outside shot at a Wild Card berth if the other Wild Card hopefuls all stink too?

It will definitely be a challenge to go into the season knowing that the GM isn't really expecting much out of the team for the year. As fans I'm sure we'll all hope that the team can rally and exceed expectations, but in the back of our minds we'll know all season that 2010 isn't going to be our year.

That 2011 team might look pretty good though?
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Lowell just got dealt to Texas for Max Ramirez.

Link

Can't say I'm a big fan of this move.
    1. I feel after acquiring VMart last season, the last thing we need is a catcher.
    2. Of all Texas' catchers (Saltalamachia, Teagarden, Ramirez) I feel that Ramirez fits into the Red Sox agenda the least.
    3. Lowell is still somewhat productive, they should have dealt Ortiz.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Is anyone else getting the sense that the best we can hope for next year is maybe 85-90 wins and an outside shot at a Wild Card berth if the other Wild Card hopefuls all stink too?>>>

Yes, I had a feeling they'd go in this direction from the get-go....other than Bay and Halladay, there aren't any impact AL players (sorry I don't include Holliday in that). I'd rather wait for the 2010 class.

<<< I feel after acquiring VMart last season, the last thing we need is a catcher.>>>

I don't think they want V-Mart catching 140 games every year. Hopefully, this Ramirez guy turns into something.

<<<3. Lowell is still somewhat productive, they should have dealt Ortiz. >>>

I'd rather have Ortiz...maybe you catch lightning in a bottle this year as he plays for his next contract. His upside is higher than Lowell's.

The one thing they better NOT do is sign Beltre. That would be one of the worst signings of Theo's tenure.
  • Options
    Meh. I think Lowell is going to have a good year now that he is fully healed, but the Red Sox sell him off as "damaged goods"(they will probably pick up at least half of his salary). Theo seems to be buying high and selling low lately.
  • Options

<< <i><<< I feel after acquiring VMart last season, the last thing we need is a catcher.>>>

I don't think they want V-Mart catching 140 games every year. Hopefully, this Ramirez guy turns into something. >>

Isn't Tek supposed to be Beckett's exclusive catcher this year? That in itself would free up about 30 games. Not to mention whenever scheduled rest for whoever is playing first (since Youk will most likely be fixed over on the hot corner) will be another 10-15 games that Vmart will mostlikely cover. So right there you're looking at VMart being out from behind the plate for like 40-45 games. Dealing out lowell for a 3rd tier catcher who is only going to catch 10-15 games is not a good move.
  • Options
    if moving Lowell is part of a bigger and better plan, I'm for it. So far, like most here, I am not sold. If Adrian Gonzalez is on his way, then this precursor transaction is a necessary component of a great move. If Adrian Beltre is on his way at more than $7-8 million over three years, then ho freakin hum.

As for Holliday's detractors, I think you should consider that he played in Oakland with so much foul ground that his batting statistics certainly had to be skewed. He's a better fielder than Bay and I believe will hit well in Boston. But at what price, that's important. I still want the Sox to go hard for Adrian Gonzalez.
  • Options
    Let's not forget that the A's sucked again last year and there was next to no protection in their lineup. Holliday would do just fine in Boston's lineup - so long as he could deal with the increased attention of playing in Boston.

I agree with the sentiment that if Lowell was traded as a necessary precursor to bringing in Adrian Gonzalez then I'm all for it. If it was just to move some pieces around and make Youkilis a 3rd basemen so Victor Martinez could play 120 games at 1B and we get stuck with a 50/50/50 scenario (games played at CA by V-Mark/Tek/Ramirez) then I don't really like the move.

My gut tells me that Theo did this for flexibility . . . flexibility for what, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    no fear, make your plans for the WS party now. Sox just added Boof Bonser to the rotation.

I guess 2010 will not be "must see TV" on NESN
  • Options
    Now I read that if the Red Sox do finalize the trade with Texas, the Red Sox will still pay $9 of the $12 million on his contract for next year. Can someone please explain to me how this benefits the Red Sox? If they are paying 75% of his salary and his contract only lasts one more year, why not just keep him around and benefit from his solid defense, his adequate hitting, and his major league experience? I just don't get this deal yet.
  • Options
    I don't quite get the Lowell thing either....I'm fearful they are making room for the overrated Adrian Beltre.

As for Ramirez the catcher - I don't think he's part of the solution for 2010, it's more for 2011.
  • Options
    2010 is not going to be a good year for Red Sox baseball.

If the multiple blogs by sportswriters are an indication, Adrian Gonzalez is going nowhere this offseason, so yes, looks like Beltre will be at third. So we know there will be excellent infield defense (Gold Gloves at first, second and third) and better than average OF defense with Ellsbury and Drew and fill-in-the-blank. Defense helps a lot (2004), so maybe that will be the team's strength?
  • Options
    Dear god this talk of Adrien Beltre reminds me of the Lou Gorman days image

Bottom Line we need IMPACT players NOW! I want Miggy Cabrera and or Matt Holliday AND Roy Halladay, sell the farm do what you got to do but get it done is the way I see it.
  • Options
    You know, I wasn't that thrilled about Miguel Cabrera before but if it comes down to a choice between Adrian Beltre at 3B or Miguel Cabrera at 1B, I'm going to go with Cabrera.

Call me crazy, but even if Beltre is capable of winning gold gloves (a nearly meaningless award anyway as evidenced by Jeter's win this year) I still don't want a guy that will go out there without a cup on as my every day third basemen. That's just stupid. And stupid doesn't win championships - not usually anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>You know, I wasn't that thrilled about Miguel Cabrera before but if it comes down to a choice between Adrian Beltre at 3B or Miguel Cabrera at 1B, I'm going to go with Cabrera.

Call me crazy, but even if Beltre is capable of winning gold gloves (a nearly meaningless award anyway as evidenced by Jeter's win this year) I still don't want a guy that will go out there without a cup on as my every day third basemen. That's just stupid. And stupid doesn't win championships - not usually anyway. >>

if that's the choice: Beltre or Cabrera, then I don't think that you will find much dissent on choosing Cabrera first. Neither is safe and guaranteed stellar, but Cabrera's upside is enormous (along with his waist line, appetite, ability to consume EtOH, and rage against family members)
  • Options
    I consider it good news that the Mets offered Bay more money than Boston. I think the only reason I hate JD Blew's performance is because of his salary. If he were earning $4-8 million, I might be able to tolerate it from a fan point of view. If Bay were to be a $16 million/year player who is incapable of hitting a curve, throwing strong with accuracy, or fielding his position, I can see that I would be hating his performance too...and 35-40 homers a year won't make up for the rest.
  • Options
    No question Miggy is a talent, but his salary would represent about 12-15% of the Red Sox annual payroll for the next 6 years (assuming it stays around $125m). His off-field problems seem to be increasing in frequency ately, including one on the final weekend of last season, when the Tigers were fighting for a playoff spot. I don't want to commit that kind of money to a guy that might drink himself out of the league in 2-3 years.

• Options
    Don't count on seeing Mig in a Sox uni next year. Youk is gonna be a fixture over on the hot corner, and they're gonna bring in a thug and plant him over at 1st. Hopefully Adrian Gonzalez, but we'll see how that goes...
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    If you allow a Yankees fan to chime in...
    Adrian Gonzalez should be the ONLY option to bring to Boston. No Mig or no Beltre. Youk at 3rd and Adrian Gonzalez at 1st.

Then they REALLY need an OF who can hit for some power now that they let Lowell go. I agree that I dont get the Sox paBying that much of Lowell's salary and letting him go. Does anyone hit better in Fenway? He should be your DH and let Poopie go! At least Lowell can play some VERY good 3B if needed. You have Youk AND Martinez to cover 1st.

At least that way, you can have Victor Martinez catch most of the games and have him in the lineup. I understand Varitek is a leader but I think his most useful days have passed. Neither Martinez or Varitek are good at throwing guys out but even less Varitek. I think teams will be running on the Sox like crazy this next season when Tek is catching.

They could have also pushed for Molina, putting Martinez at 1st and Youk at 3rd.

It just seems like so many better options than what they are currently doing? Maybe I should be a GM hahaha

Anyway, as a Yankees fan, I have enjoyed seeing the moves thus far because to me, it is making a weaker Red Sox team. But who knows? Maybe they will make those big moves and be very strong...I miss watching baseball but I love watching this stuff unfold!
  • Options

<< <i>I miss watching baseball but I love watching this stuff unfold! >>

I totally agree. Hot Stove Season is fun and exciting, even if the Sox are being either cheap, stupid, or just slow to develop.

Adrian Gonzalez is a must have if the Sox hope to compete for even the wild card.

With Beckett pitching to Varitek, even Bengie Molina could steal four bases in a game. I think the Sox could cut Varitek loose at some point during the year.
  • Options
    [qI think the Sox could cut Varitek loose at some point during the year. >>

I could see them offering Tek a coaching position or some type of administrative office job with the team. His leadership is unparalleled and that is definitely one thing we can't afford to lose. Being in the military I've learned that great leadership can bring out the best in awful people. Tek's leadership is something that few players this day and age possess. Theo understands this, and because of that you'll see Tek retire in a Red Sox Uni.
  • Options
    Reports are saying that Lackey took a physical with the Red Sox this morning and they could be close to a deal similar to what the Yankees and Burnett signed last year. Furthermore, the speculation is that signing Lackey could actually be the first step toward making a trade for Adrian Gonzelez because having Lackey would make it easier for the Red Sox to trade Buchholz.

I hope this pans out. I really do. I love Lackey (for 3 or 4 years at least) and I would REALLY love it if they landed Gonzalez.
  • Options
    I'm indifferent about Lackey, but if it means they also get Adrian Gonzalez, then I'm all for it....even though Buchholz's stuff is clearly better than Lackey's, there's no guarantee that he becomes anything better than Lackey is now....I think this would make the Sox rotation better than the Yankees (if it wasn't already).....until NY gets Halladay.
  • Options
    whatever the bridge to Gonzalez, I'm for it. Gonzalez would make me think the ownership wants to win it all in 2010
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    If Red Sox pick up Beltre there will be no need for Gonzalez. I would consider that a blunder if that is the route they take.

Congrats Red Sox fans on Lackey.

If Yankees hit Lackey next year like they did last year(.278 average against) then Im not too worried image

He did own ARod though.
  • Options
    Ok Im getting a little less disgruntled if in fact the Sox did/do sign Lackey- I would RATHER have Halladay but Lackey is a step in the right decision.

Now we need a BAT! I want Miggy first then second on my pecking order is Holliday/Bay with Gonzo a close third.

Lets make some noise Red Sox Brass! Get some talent in here NOW.
  • Options
    If the Sox pick up Beltre I will give up beer for the season in protest. Okay, no I won't, but I'll be PO'd.

Lackey hasn't fared well against the Yankees in his entire career it seems. That's okay though. A win against the Orioles counts the same as a win against the Yankees (except in all the other ways that matter apart from the standings, of course!).

Vs. Yankees: 5-7, 4.66 ERA, 1.534 WHIP in 102 1/3 innings, with 85 Ks.

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Beltre is the worst possible option. Had one good year on steroids and is under .800 career OPS. why pay him $18MM this year (his 9 plus lowell's 9). Makes no sense. Gonzalez is the ONLY move that makes sense right now.
  • Options
    I Cannot stress enough how much I agree about Beltre, if they pick this guy up and pay 18mill for him I will be disgusted beyond belief. Again this talk of Beltre reminds me of the Lou Gorman days and that is an UGLY thought.

Theo needs to step up and use whatever baseball sense he still has and avoid this guy at all costs.
  • Options
    Theo is famous for diversionary tactics. Until today, there were ZERO indications that the Sox were pursuing Lackey. So if the Sox are supposedly making a play for Beltre, maybe the truth is that Theo has his sights set elsewhere? San Diego, preferably.
  • Options
    The lackey p/u is a plus for you red soxers right now, but 85 million over 5 years? in the long run its a bad contact. We'll miss lackey, but 5 years at 85 mil is a terrible contact, especially now that the enhancment drug is a thing of the past, nobody is an age less wonder any more.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    and now Mike Cameron for two years at about nine million per year? Hmmm.
  • Options

<< <i>and now Mike Cameron for two years at about nine million per year? Hmmm. >>

Bye, bye Bay.

FWIW, the Globe reports that it's a 2 year deal worth 15.5 million.

Treetop - I was surprised by the length of the contract too. I think that by year 5 we Sox fans might be in agreement with you (that it was a bad contract) but I am hopeful that for the next 3 years, at least, that it's a good contract. I wonder if Lackey had the upper hand in the negotiations and that is why he got the 5 years? I'm still clinging to the hope that Lackey signing was the first step towards landing Gonzalez. The closer we get to Christmas the more I realize that what I really want for the holiday is a Gonzalez Red Sox jersey. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>and now Mike Cameron for two years at about nine million per year? Hmmm. >>

Bye, bye Bay.

FWIW, the Globe reports that it's a 2 year deal worth 15.5 million.

Treetop - I was surprised by the length of the contract too. I think that by year 5 we Sox fans might be in agreement with you (that it was a bad contract) but I am hopeful that for the next 3 years, at least, that it's a good contract. I wonder if Lackey had the upper hand in the negotiations and that is why he got the 5 years? I'm still clinging to the hope that Lackey signing was the first step towards landing Gonzalez. The closer we get to Christmas the more I realize that what I really want for the holiday is a Gonzalez Red Sox jersey. image >>

that price would keep the SO/AB cost just about the same as it was with Bay
  • Options
    Lackey is a solid pitcher but I would have rather had Halladay. But since that option is no longer on the table they better grab up Gonzalez. If they don't I'll chalk this offseason up as a failure and just look forward to 2011 image
  • Options
    I hope Bay goes to the Yankees. It will be fun seeing him try to cover ground in Yankee Stadium's left field. Granderson will help absorb some of Bay's fielding shortcomings
  • Options
    Lacky probably start the year as your #3. Not bad if you ask me. The word is the Angles offered lackey 4 years and 72mil. Red Rox of course couter with the 5th year and the extra 10.5mil, which Lackey jumped all over. lackey is a gamer, and he'll pull out some tough wins for you guys in the coming years.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>Lackey is a gamer, and he'll pull out some tough wins for you guys in the coming years. >>

I'll agree that he is does play with a lot of intensity. He'll probably get along really well with Papelbon. Another great thing about him is that he's a pro at eating up innings.
  • Options
    I wish Theo would get around to trading for Gonzalez (while keeping Ellsbury)
  • Options

<< <i>I wish Theo would get around to trading for Gonzalez (while keeping Ellsbury) >>

Ditto that! The outfield is shaky enough as it is without losing Ellsbury - at least offensively speaking.
  • Options

<< <i>I wish Theo would get around to trading for Gonzalez (while keeping Ellsbury) >>

Sucholz and Lars Anderson (hey, Hoyer knows his "potential" image)
  • Options

<< <i>

Sucholz and Lars Anderson (hey, Hoyer knows his "potential" image) >>

including Anderson would be a crime (committed by Theo). I figure Buchholz and Westmoreland will be in the package, at the very least. If Theo includes Ellsbury, I'd be shocked and upset. Heck, my wife would be upset if Ellsbury goes, as would thousands of other pink hatters.
  • Options
    If indeed the Gonzo trade is picking up steam, the Sox need to do what they can within reason to get him. I'd rather see them move Anderson than Buchholz. As we saw last year, you can't have enough starting pitchers. Plus with Gonzo, Anderson would have to move to a corner OF spot.

A deal for Miggy (along with all the other high $$ contracts) could cripple the financial flexibility for the Sox for quite some time. Gonzo is the way to go.
  • Options
    Sweet 100!

There is an awards dinner in Boston on Jan 14 for a few of the players. Lester and Ellsbury are among those to be recieving awards. I guess tickets are available.

Link
  • Options
    Lowell will get surgery on this thumb, so the trade is off. I like this development