Home Sports Talk
Options

2009 - 10 Red Sox Off Season Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I do too. It never made sense to ship him off, pay 75% of his salary, and then be forced into signing somebody like Beltre.

I'm sure he's used to it by now, but I hope Lowell is okay with sticking around even though the team has tried to trade him so often.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do too. It never made sense to ship him off, pay 75% of his salary, and then be forced into signing somebody like Beltre.

I'm sure he's used to it by now, but I hope Lowell is okay with sticking around even though the team has tried to trade him so often. >>

The players will love to have him back on the team, and Lowell would love nothing more than to prove Theo wrong, just like he proved the Marlins wrong after they "stuck" the Red Sox with Lowell in the Beckett trade.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the bottom line with Lowell is that he is gone as soon as he proves his health on the playing field.
  • Options

<< <i>I think the bottom line with Lowell is that he is gone as soon as he proves his health on the playing field. >>

Really? They hate him that much? Screw Beltre -- he will probably hit .220 and then start booting the ball once the fans get on his case (like Luso did). Theo should be banned from dealing with Bor-Ass.
  • Options
    I think the Sox want some mobility at third and not two players who are an expensive DH-only
  • Options
    Well, I guess I'm kinda hoping Lowell doesn't prove to be all that healthy but that he's good enough to play through the pain. I guess I like him more than Theo and the gang. He still looked pretty good to me out there last season even considering his hip problems.
  • Options
    "I think the bottom line with Lowell is that he is gone as soon as he proves his health on the playing field"

I'd rather see that happen than to ship him off and have to pay his salary...then it come back to bite us in the butt. I'd rather him stay as a true leader in the dugout, we need a role model for the young guys. It be we "dewey-esque" to PAY to get him outta here
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Sox sign Beltre today. Not sure if this is the answer or not, but it gives them a nice defensive upgrade at 3B with the potential for some more power from that position. He was cheap, too - $9M for 2010, with a $5M option for 2011.
  • Options

<< <i>Sox sign Beltre today. Not sure if this is the answer or not, but it gives them a nice defensive upgrade at 3B with the potential for some more power from that position. He was cheap, too - $9M for 2010, with a $5M option for 2011. >>

$9m for a .250 hitter -- what a bargain. Now they will have to eat $12m of Lowell's $13m salary to trade him for a six-pack of PBR.
  • Options
    so now the Sox have an infield of above average to excellent defenders. Same thing in the outfield. That should help prevent some runs, not something Sox fans have come to expect. Pitchers still suck at holding runners and catchers aren't defensive gems. If Beltre and Ortiz find a way to juice, the Sox should be able to score four runs a game.
  • Options
    I don't like the Beltre signing at all, but at least it's not a long term deal.
  • Options
    They acquired the wrong Adrian. I was hoping for Gonzo. But at least Beltre is only a 1 year deal - with a player option for half price in 2011. I don't see him in a Sox uni next season for half price and won't be disappointed when he moves on elsewhere. Maybe Theo is thinking ahead with the hopes of getting the better Adrian.
  • Options
    It still doesn't make sense to me to sign Beltre for $9 million and pay another $9 million to Mike Lowell - and that $9 million assumes they get a deal similar to what they had worked out with the Rangers wherein the Rangers would take on $3 million of Lowell's $12 million contract. If they don't, then the Sox have tied up about $21 million between Lowell and Beltre for 3B in 2010.
  • Options
    To those of you who think that the Beltre signing was a 'bad deal', what exactly have you been smoking, because I'd like to get in on that!

He's the best defensive third baseman in all of baseball, and can be argued that he's the best to ever play the position. When are people going to wake up to the fact that a run prevented is just as valuable as a run scored? This type of thinking typifies what GMs are successful (Theo, Jack Z in Seattle, etc) and those who will always be bad (Hello? Omar? Are you listening?) For the same price as what the Mets just gave Bay, the Red Sox picked up BOTH Beltre and Cameron, both whom are fantastic defenders.

The Beltre detractors will point to his 2004 year with the Dodgers and think that because of those numbers never being approached again somehow he was a disappointment. Look, any fan worth his salt knew he wasn't going to ever, EVER come close to duplicating that year. But the casual fan would look at it and say 'he sucks!' because he failed to approach them again.

Wait, Red Sox fans. Wait and watch a true magician with the glove show you how third base SHOULD be played. Watch his mastery make difficult plays seem routing. Watch and see him convert you to Beltre believers. Then I expect full apologies by season's end, saying how much of a value it was getting him for $9 million, and begging Theo to lock him up to a long term deal - he is indeed THAT good.

Lowell is done. The red sox have moved on, as well they should have. He can't hit, he can't play third, and he sure as hell isn't replacing Youk at first base. Lowell was a huge part of 2007, but truly great GMs know you can't hang on to the past if you want to win in the future (and no, he's not going to 'show up' anyone...as Ochocinco would say, child please.)

As far as getting Gonzalez, you guys are nuts. The Padres want (and should get) a TON of prospects for Adrian...and where would that put Youk? At third? Make him play out of position? Or bring in a much better fit in Beltre, not give up ANY prospects, and have the opportunity to get the best fielding third baseman in the league?
  • Options
    I hope you are right about Beltre and I'll be the first to admit that it was a good deal if it turns out to be the case.

But technically speaking Lowell is not done. Even if you just mean he's past his prime, the fact is that he still has a guaranteed contract and he's getting $12 million this year whether or not he plays a game at 3B for the Red Sox. And, he actually can still hit. He hit .290 last year and that was with all kinds of medical problems and he had an OPS+ of 106 last year which is just under his career average of 109 - not bad considering that he started the season while recovering from a major hip surgery. It's also better than Beltre's 82 last year and his 105 career average. I won't pretend that Lowell can match Beltre with the glove anymore but there was such a steep decline in Lowell's fielding last year that I have to imagine it was tied to his health more than any other factor and it should improve this year.

Also, Youkilis is actually a very good 3B and having him play there with Adrian Gonzalez at 1B would not be a huge liability defensively. In fact, just last year Youkilis played 63 games at 3B and was 1.0 Total Fielding Runs Above Average. Granted, that's not as good as his 6.4 number at 1B, but it's still "above average".
  • Options
    when you look at OPS for the entire 2009 and compare Lowell and Ortiz, you find some data to support dumping Ortiz and keeping Lowell as the DH. I wouldn't mind that either. Good luck finding someone who wants to take Ortiz at anywhere near $13 million. The Sox are going to have lots of Gold Glovers (yep, stupid award) on the field next year, they will win games with defense and not throw games away with poor defense (Nick Green, Julio Luso)

The Sox will be a player for Gonzalez come July 31st.
  • Options
    I would LOVE to see them move Orrr-tease and make Lowell DH. Too bad the Mets are in the NL. Maybe the Orioles? Nah, can't go in the same division, even the lowly O's.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would LOVE to see them move Orrr-tease and make Lowell DH. Too bad the Mets are in the NL. Maybe the Orioles? Nah, can't go in the same division, even the lowly O's. >>

Make Lowell DH? Your kidding right? Make no mistake about it Mike Lowell was one of the WORST signings they made under the Theo Regime, Im grateful for him being a huge part of our 2007 Championship but after that we never should have signed him- or at least not for what we did. Beltre is not going to help us on Offense but defensivly yea he will do fine..

Again Im just an ordinary local Yokel here but I do Know WE NEED OFFENSE. For the thousandth time I want a Miggy, Holliday type signing or at least a Adrien Gonzalez signing, mark my words our team will regret not getting a bat this offseason.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised, but I just read a story on ESPN that confirmed that Ellsbury will play LF and Cameron will start in CF. That should be interesting.
  • Options
    I just read that also, it makes sense to put Ellsbury there as Cameron is a better defensive CF. I'm just glad he is staying at all.

Sox also just traded Kotchmann to the Mariners, so I guess Youk stays at 1B, Beltre at 3B, and Lowell is odd man out.

Also, it was really cool that Adrian Beltre's mom took the time to post here. image
  • Options

<< <i>Also, it was really cool that Adrian Beltre's mom took the time to post here. image >>

• Options
    Now they've traded Kotchman for Bill Hall. Hall's not much of a hitter anymore, but he can play just about every position except pitcher and catcher.

Kotchman to M's
  • Options

<< <i>Now they've traded Kotchman for Bill Hall. Hall's not much of a hitter anymore, but he can play just about every position except pitcher and catcher.

Kotchman to M's >>

some minor leaguer could be part of the deal.

I expect Boston to be major players for Gonzalez come July, assuming they are in the playoff race, which they should be.
  • Options
    Not his mom but it's tiring to see the same old, boring (and inaccurate) statements attributed to Beltre. The guy is a beast defensively and safeco kills bats like his - its why Seattle has gone to valuing defense (they just offered the best CF in the league, Franklin Guitterez a 4 year, $20 million deal), as right handed batters get crushed in Seattle.

For the hundredth time, every run PREVENTED is every bit as valuable as every run SCORED. When are people going to wake up and realize that? Cameron and Beltre are HUGE upgrades for you guys!

• Options

<< <i>Not his mom but it's tiring to see the same old, boring (and inaccurate) statements attributed to Beltre. The guy is a beast defensively and safeco kills bats like his - its why Seattle has gone to valuing defense (they just offered the best CF in the league, Franklin Guitterez a 4 year, $20 million deal), as right handed batters get crushed in Seattle.

For the hundredth time, every run PREVENTED is every bit as valuable as every run SCORED. When are people going to wake up and realize that? Cameron and Beltre are HUGE upgrades for you guys! >>

Sox fans need time for that idea to sink in. It has been a long time (how long is never?) since the Sox have fielded a really good defense
  • Options

<< <i>Not his mom but it's tiring to see the same old, boring (and inaccurate) statements attributed to Beltre. The guy is a beast defensively and safeco kills bats like his - its why Seattle has gone to valuing defense (they just offered the best CF in the league, Franklin Guitterez a 4 year, $20 million deal), as right handed batters get crushed in Seattle.

For the hundredth time, every run PREVENTED is every bit as valuable as every run SCORED. When are people going to wake up and realize that? Cameron and Beltre are HUGE upgrades for you guys! >>

No, I get it - I mostly agree with you on Beltre. Especially at the price the Sox got him for (Bor-ass was looking for $10M a year). I also don't think Ellsbury is as bad a defender as some people think he is, and an outfield of Ellsbury, Cameron, and Drew is very strong defensively. Combine that with a stellar defensive player at every infield position, and it's clear what the Sox are valuing in 2010.

Though I would still love to see the other Adrian come aboard at some point. But where would he play?
  • Options

The Mom comment is/was still funny though image

By the way have you ever heard of "Axtell" image
  • Options
    There's a video on YouTube that is basically a showcase of Beltre's defense, I tried to embed it here but I don't think you can:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IKDeH9SEg&amp;feature=player_embedded
  • Options

<< <i>
    Though I would still love to see the other Adrian come aboard at some point. But where would he play? >>

Not worth the price he would command in terms of prospects to come over, especially when you have Youk already playing at a high level at first base.
  • Options
    Maybe I don't know anything about baseball, but can one player prevent runs from being scored by playing one position - a corner infield position at that? Or do they prevent runs on balls hit in their direction? I don't think anyone on these boards (ok, let me speak for myself)............I am not undervaluing defense but last time I checked in order to score runs, you actually have to do well with the stick. And you can't score runs from one position on the field - it usually takes a team and I don't think that beltre (or his mom) have added anything significant to the offense. Once he sees the monster, he will be swinging (again - as usual or more so) at breaking balls off the plate while falling backward trying to pull it down the line. If he's that friggin good, why did he only get a 1 year contract? - Its because the sox don't plan on keeping him for more than one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! News flash................the sox will be making a hard move for the better Adrian come the middle of the year or after the season and youk will find himself at the hot corner in 2011 - where he played when he first came up.
  • Options
    so is the ranting douchebaggy seattle fan, beltre loving clown that Axtroll guy?
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe I don't know anything about baseball, but can one player prevent runs from being scored by playing one position - a corner infield position at that? Or do they prevent runs on balls hit in their direction? I don't think anyone on these boards (ok, let me speak for myself)............I am not undervaluing defense but last time I checked in order to score runs, you actually have to do well with the stick. And you can't score runs from one position on the field - it usually takes a team and I don't think that beltre (or his mom) have added anything significant to the offense. Once he sees the monster, he will be swinging (again - as usual or more so) at breaking balls off the plate while falling backward trying to pull it down the line. If he's that friggin good, why did he only get a 1 year contract? - Its because the sox don't plan on keeping him for more than one year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! News flash................the sox will be making a hard move for the better Adrian come the middle of the year or after the season and youk will find himself at the hot corner in 2011 - where he played when he first came up. >>

Yes, one player can prevent runs from being scored, especially from a position like third which is a difficult position to field and at which premium defenders are incredibly rare. What you are missing is what a lot of people miss: that preventing a run is every bit as valuable as scoring a run, and the name of the game is to score more than your opponent. Theo is working the same way a number of other savvy GMs are working, and that is taking advantage of a system that overpays bats (i.e. Jason Bay) and underpays premium defenders (Beltre, Cameron).

Why did he get just a one year contract? He had multi-year offers from many teams, but he knew that Boston gets a ton of media coverage, and his bat is much more effective in a park like Fenway than Safeco, and you'll be seeing his defensive gems on sportscenter nightly. Boras is the best agent in the game, and he knows that getting Beltre in front of all those cameras every night to highlight his glove and renewed bat will equal tons of money next offseason, likely the same Boston team who took a flyer on him this year.

It's comical to see Sox fans, who once so hated the yankees for overspending and going after every big-name free agent, to now wanting that same approach. Look, mortgaging your future and dumping prospects on a first baseman who is a small measure better than what you already have is what the yanks used to do, and sox fans used to CRUSH them for it. Now, these same fans are supporting the same behavior?
  • Options
    There's been an axtroll siting.
  • Options

<< <i>There's been an axtroll siting. >>

There's been many.
  • Options
    I simply don't think Beltre's defense is so good that he's going to prevent more runs than the Red Sox will lose offensively from third base. Sure, Beltre is better defensively than Lowell but his bat stinks. I read yesterday that Safeco reduces a hitter's production by about 6% compared to a neutral park. Give Beltre an extra 6% and he still doesn't match Lowell at the plate.
  • Options

<< <i>I simply don't think Beltre's defense is so good that he's going to prevent more runs than the Red Sox will lose offensively from third base. Sure, Beltre is better defensively than Lowell but his bat stinks. I read yesterday that Safeco reduces a hitter's production by about 6% compared to a neutral park. Give Beltre an extra 6% and he still doesn't match Lowell at the plate. >>

True, but Lowell might still be in the lineup with Beltre. Some would say that he might be better at DH than Ortiz, or at least as part of a DH platoon with him. I don't know if I want to see that though, as I hope we see a monster 2010 from the "old" Ortiz.

<< <i>It's comical to see Sox fans, who once so hated the yankees for overspending and going after every big-name free agent, to now wanting that same approach. Look, mortgaging your future and dumping prospects on a first baseman who is a small measure better than what you already have is what the yanks used to do, and sox fans used to CRUSH them for it. Now, these same fans are supporting the same behavior? >>

I see why you would think that, but prior to Beltre signing, the thought was Youkilis would move to 3B (where he has played before, and very well) and have Gonzalez play 1B. This is an obvious upgrade - you also get a replacement for Jason Bay's bat in the lineup which you don't get with Beltre. But the more I think about the Beltre deal, the more I like it. Who has better defense and pitching right now than Boston? Hopefully, the old adage will ring true.

If we were as bad as Yankee fans, we would be talking about getting Pujols at 1B and Joe Mauer behind the plate.
  • Options
    Lowell and Ortiz as a DH platoon would be quite a luxury. Since Ortiz can't seem to hit lefties and Lowell hit .301 against them last year that would be great. But that's a really, really expensive DH platoon and I can't imagine it will come to fruition. I'm relatively certain that as soon as Mike Lowell can show his thumb is well enough to swing a bat he'll be dealt.
  • Options
    Papelblown and the Sox avoided arbitration with an agreement for $9.35 million, with another $150K in incentives.

I'm still not a fan until he develops a pitch other than a straight fastball that he can throw for strikes.
  • Options
    Not a lot going on right now for the Red Sox in the way of transactions at least, but I just read Massarotti's blog on what the Red Sox face with Victor Martinez's contract expiring after this year. In particular, I thought these paragraphs were food for thought:

"In some ways, this is a big year for the Red Sox, who have seen television ratings and interest wane some over the last two years. They traded Manny Ramirez, then failed to re-sign the man they acquired for him (Bay). For every dyed-in-the-wool Sox loyalist now preaching the tenets of run prevention, pitching and defense, there is a Sox follower disenchanted by a lineup that once again looks suspect. The Sox have whiffed on big bats in each of the last two offseasons, opting for a safer, more balanced portfolio.

Last year, to their credit, the Sox responded to their offseason outcome by acquiring Martinez from the Cleveland Indians for package of prospects. Now he is up for a new deal, too. The Red Sox appear headed for a massive turnover at the end of this season – again, Lowell, Ortiz, Beckett and Varitek are all free agents – and they have long–term needs at an array of positions on the diamond.

And yet, based on history, there is simply no way to know whether the Red Sox will re-sign Victor Martinez to fill any of them."

It seems to me like the Red Sox are trying to put a good team together for this year and that they want to be competitive, but in the end 2010 and perhaps 2011 really are going to be "bridge" years.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Spring Training right around the corner. Too bad it still feels like winter in Florda!
  • Options
    I don't think the Sox are thinking about "bridge years" any more than the Yankees are. Of course, the Sox won't throw stupid money around chasing every free agent that walks (unlike their rivals), but I think the Sox will re-sign Martinez and Beckett. Ortiz, maybe - depends on how he bounces back in 2010. They have too much invested overall to just sit back and wait a year or two for a team to gel.

My hope is that we see a trade deadline deal with the Padres for Adrian Gonzalez. That would end any bridge year discussion.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

Players come and players go, it's the nature of the beast. Management just can't hand over a ton of gold to every player that thinks he's always worth much more than being offered, hoping to fall somewhere in the middle. When you have agents like Boreass that get into the mix, negative things can happen to both the player and management, just ask Damon how things are looking for him. He who turned his nose up at $14m for 2 with the Yankees, now has to ponder a 1 year deal from the Braves. Boreass claiming several teams cannot win their division without the services of JD and insisting the Tigers are in the mix for his talent. Things ain't lookin' too good for JD, I'll be he wished he'd have snapped up the pinstripe offer now. There are many situations like this, egos have a way of over-emphasizing the talent one really has to offer. Imagine if somebody offered you $14m for 6 six months of playing baseball and you had the stones to turn it down!! BTW, that comes to about $28k per hour (assuming a 3 hour game/162 games). Half the time you're sitting in the dugout. DUMB!!

Fans of course think their beloved team will always be young, fresh and get the key hits and homers to continue to come up a winner...ain't so. It is what it is, never gonna change, so whoever your team is, enjoy the moment because that moment doesn't last very long.

BTW, a beautiful BIG FLAKES snow falling outside my window. I live about 25 miles south of Atlanta, a rare moment for us. I'm doing a huge deja vu from my childhood days growing up just north of Boston. No, I don't have to shovel or go anywhere. image