Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

it may be a good idea to keep your eye on your gold.

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    With precious metals, you have to be very brave to let someone else be the custodian.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options

<< <i>With precious metals, you have to be very brave to let someone else be the custodian. >>

Even more so when you have to pay for the opportunity.

Ritchie
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad reality is that far too many "gold" investments in the US typically are handled by a person other than the owner. Morgan Stanley took this too a new zenith a couple of years back when they created a gold bullion custodial fund with no physical gold and still charged their customers a gold storage fee. One has to wonder what will eventually happen to all the gold coins socked away in IRA's.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I control my gold. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I control my gold. Cheers, RickO >>

.......image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had enouph that storage was a problem.
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

If you have more, get two or three boxes. In fact, at my bank there's boxes that are actually "vaults" that measure 3'x3'x3' for stamp collectors I guess.

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? (closest guess wins a prize) image
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the OP's cited article:

"One of these warehouses, located in New York City and run by HSBC bank has told its individual clients to clear out their gold
    because they want to use the vault for more lucrative institutional clients, according the a Wall Street Journal story yesterday."""

Along with Sinclair's recent dialogue:

""COT does the death rattle when COT takes on persistent governments that do persist, the dollar trades under .7400,
    delivery problems occur on any futures exchange and there is a run on the bank of ETFs who "own" more gold than anyone
    could have bought in the physical market, straining ones imagination enough to read the prospectus.""

Motto:
    Best to keep the PM's close or within a quick grasp and certainly away from paper "equivalency"...

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

If you have more, get two or three boxes. In fact, at my bank there's boxes that are actually "vaults" that measure 3'x3'x3' for stamp collectors I guess.

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? (closest guess wins a prize) image >>

Jay,

I have your answer, assuming your dimensions are correct and exact:

The "vault" is 27 cubic feet.

An American Eagle would require 3068.8623 Cubic MM.

There are 28,316,846.592 Cubic MM in a Cubic Foot

Therefore each Cubic foot could hold 9227.1479864 gold american eagle coins.

That times 27 equals the answer to your question.

The vault could hold 249,132.995632 american gold eagles.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? (closest guess wins a prize) image >>

Jay,

The vault could hold 249,132.995632 american gold eagles. >>

you're being too fast and loose with your facts...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jay,

you're being too fast and loose with your facts... >>

I don't think so.
  • Options
    I would not trust my bank with any amount of monster boxes of GAE's. Any bank for that matter.

It's probably more money than they have in reserves !!!! (kidding). I read somewhere that RF chips are being placed into certain gold bullion products.....is this just a goofball comment or plausible?

Happy Turkey Day...............

• Options
    Just in case you meant to put " (inches) instead of ' (feet)... I'd revise my answer to 144.174 gold eagles image
  • Options
    You could fit 322 from the bottom to the top.
    You could fit 28X28 on the bottom with 10.8 millimeters left on the side.
    So upright, you could fit 252,448.

You could then fit three more vertically around two sides of the box, again 28X28X3X2 for 4704 more

Total that would fit = 257,152.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    <<<< Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? (closest guess wins a prize) >>

Jay,

You did not account for the dead space used up because the coins are round. I am assuming all coins are 1oz gold eagles because a man of saintguru's character and reputation would not waste his time on anything less.

1 oz, gold eagles are 1.287" in diameter by 0.113" tall link

In a 36'X36'X36" vault you can lay a pattern of 27 coins by 27 coins by 318 high; the base cube will contain 231,822 coins.
    that leaves 1.251" on the two sides of the vault occupied by the base pattern; which means you can arrange 2 more 27 coin by 27 coin pattern on their edge vertically in the remaining 1.251" spaces 11 coins deep or two 8,019 coin patterns. Bringing our new total to 247,860 coins. This now leaves a dead space in the box of 1.251" by 1.251" which we can fill with 27 coins on their edge diagonally our new total is 247,887 coins. this leaves two 1.251" x 1.251" x 34.749" spaces over our 8,019 coin patterns in which we can squeeze 27 more coins for a total of 54 coins; giving us a grand total of

247,941 coins.image

Of course you would need a forklift to put the box back because it would now contain 15,496.3 lbs of gold or 7.74 tons!
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<<< Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? (closest guess wins a prize) >>

Jay,

You did not account for the dead space used up because the coins are round. I am assuming all coins are 1oz gold eagles because a man of saintguru's character and reputation would not waste his time on anything less.

! ox, gold eagles are 1.287" in diameter by 0.113" tall link

In a 36'X36'X36" vault you can lay a pattern of 27 coins by 27 coins by 318 high; the base cube will contain 231,822 coins.
    that leaves 1.251" on the two sides of the vault occupied by the base pattern; which means you can arrange 2 more 27 coin by 27 coin pattern on their edge vertiaclly in the remining 1.251" spaces 11 coins deep or two 8,019 coin patterns. Bringing our new total to 247,860 coins. This now leaves a dead space in the box of 1.251" by 1.251" which we can fill with 27 coin on their edge diagonally our new total is 247,887 coins. this leaves two 1.251" x 1.251" x 34.749" spaces over our 8,019 coin patterns in which we can squeeze 27 more coins for a total of 54 coin; giving us a grand total of

247,941 coins.image >>

Woohoo! this was my point. Im not going to hurt my head trying to think about the organization of the AGEs within the space to minimize 'dead space' but I know it's "complex"..

are we sure that 36x36x36 is the interior volume and not the exterior ?

• Options
    <<You could fit 322 from the bottom to the top.
    You could fit 28X28 on the bottom with 10.8 millimeters left on the side.
    So upright, you could fit 252,448.

You could then fit three more vertically around two sides of the box, again 28X28X3X2 for 4704 more

Total that would fit = 257,152. >>

28 x 1.287" = 36.03" does not fit in 36" space

322 x 0.113" = 36.39" box won't close
  • Options
    everyone knows the FIRST answer is usually the RIGHT answer image
  • Options
    <<everyone knows the FIRST answer is usually the RIGHT answer >>

Richard you are correct assuming you melt the coins first in to a 3' x 3' x 3' cube. that defeats the purpose of buying the coins in the first place though.image
  • Options

<< <i><<everyone knows the FIRST answer is usually the RIGHT answer >>

Richard your are correct assuming you melt the coins first in to a 3' x 3' x 3' cube. that defeats the purpose of buying the coins in the first place though.image >>

Actually I allowed for the airspace, thus our two answers are so close. If I had not, my number would be significantly higher.
  • Options
    <<Woohoo! this was my point. Im not going to hurt my head trying to think about the organization of the AGEs within the space to minimize 'dead space' but I know it's "complex"..

are we sure that 36x36x36 is the interior volume and not the exterior >>

It is another assumption based on the parameter of the question.image
  • Options
    <,Actually I allowed for the airspace, thus our two answers are so close. If I had not, my number would be significantly higher.>>

I see, yes you allowed for a 32.7 mm x 32.7 mm x 2.87 mm box per coin, but did not check against the lateral space limitations.image

PS: I love math word games; don't you!

• Options

<< <i><,Actually I allowed for the airspace, thus our two answers are so close. If I had not, my number would be significantly higher.>>

I see, yes you allowed for a 32.7 mm x 32.7 mm x 2.87 mm box per coin, but did not check against the lateral space limitations.image

image >>

It's an interesting problem. Even with known physical dimensions the round coins add complexity to the solution... and yes I love these kind of things. image
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

<< <i><,Actually I allowed for the airspace, thus our two answers are so close. If I had not, my number would be significantly higher.>>

image >>

That's actually quite simple to resolve.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Would you be able to lift and schlep

such a SDB filled with gold coins?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Would you be able to lift and schlep

such a SDB filled with gold coins? >>

If you used about a 10 ton forklift image
  • Options
    <<That's actually quite simple to resolve. >>

If you understand algebra it is; the majority of the people in this country I know hate algebra. I have been teaching surveying at a local community college for over ten years, and I spend the first two to three weeks teaching the students basic math skills to do some elementary survey calculations.

<,Would you be able to lift and schlep

such a SDB filled with gold coins?
    >.

The gold would weigh 7.74 tons.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody who buys gold and leaves it in the hands of someone else, or takes a "gold certificate" instead of physical possession is a fool IMO. image You are just asking for trouble.

And paying Morgan Stanley to hold your gold is also foolish. Merrill Lynch used to be “bullish on America” and look where they ended up. Ditto for Bear Sterns and Leman Bothers. Yes I know the bullish company might still be in business, but it took the ruination of Bank of America to keep Merrill Lynch from turning into ground beef.

When a Wall Street firm goes belly up you can never tell where the assets might go.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i><<<< Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

Jay,

that leaves 1.251" on the two sides of the vault occupied by the base pattern; which means you can arrange 2 more 27 coin by 27 coin pattern on their edge vertiaclly in the remining 1.251" spaces 11 coins deep or two 8,019 coin patterns. Bringing our new total to 247,860 coins. This now leaves a dead space in the box of 1.251" by 1.251" which we can fill with 27 coin on their edge diagonally our new total is 247,887 coins. this leaves two 1.251" x 1.251" x 34.749" spaces over our 8,019 coin patterns in which we can squeeze 27 more coins for a total of 54 coin; giving us a grand total of

247,941 coins.image

Of course you would need a forklift to put the box back because it would now contain 15,496.3 lbs of gold or 7.74 tons! >>

Some of you people have WAY too much time on your hands.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    If you understand algebra it is; the majority of the people in this country I know hate algebra. I have been teaching surveying at a local community college for over ten years, and I spend the first two to three weeks teaching the students basic math skills to do some elementary survey calculations.

Sure, but I'd want my Computer Engineer to be able to solve that in their sleep. Maybe instead of providing X and Y, give a couple equations defining the relationship between X and Y. That'd be a bit more of a challenge than plugging numbers into an equation.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hell with metals, watch the dollar tonight.

The world markets might take the Thanksgiving holiday as a chance to
    make some significant readjustments. I'd wager the central bankers
    aren't going to be getting much sleep till Friday.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    <<Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? >>

So tell us, how many did you get in there?image
  • Options
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options

<< <i>

Jay,

247,941 coins.image

Of course you would need a forklift to put the box back because it would now contain 15,496.3 lbs of gold or 7.74 tons! >>

Some of you people have WAY too much time on your hands. >>

C'mon fella's, I was a History major!!!image
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<Hell man....you can easily fit 5000 eagles in an oversized safe deposit box. What's the fuss about?

Now how many eagles do you suppose that will hold? >>

So tell us, how many did you get in there?image >>

Richard was close but wrong. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file