Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2009 PSA Fantasy Football League

Alright, since the "CU" league filled up so fast, I will go ahead and follow Jim's suggestion and start another one, or more so, restart the "PSA" league from last year. This is a live draft, which is currently set at Thursday, September 3rd 9pm. Last year we tried around noon or 1pm on Saturday (if I remember right) and several could not make it so we will try the last Thursday night before the games start.
Since this is the second team, I have dropped the teams from 16 to the more normal 10...however if there is interest I may add more teams.
Rules are standard Yahoo with a couple changes. I added 1 pt. for passing reception and added an extra point loss for interception (-1 to -2). All point things are viewable before you join.

If you are interested in joining, pm me and I will send you a link.

Cost to join is free on Yahoo, but I figured each team that does not finish in the top 3 could pony up two modern $10 PSA 10 cards of interest to the winners.

The top 3 would not pay out, so that would make 9 teams giving 2 cards, 18 cards, which will be split: 1st place = 10 cards, 2nd place = 6 cards and 3rd place - 2 cards. These numbers could be adjusted by group vote.

Be sure to read Yahoo rules on waivers and trades. There is no trade limit, although there are no trades after Nov. 20th...or something like that...it is noted on Yahoo. If I remember right from last year, it picks our draft order like an hour or 30 min. before draft and is shown on the draft page.

Should a loser be a welch, they will NOTED as a welch in my sig. line, forever be known on these boards as a Welch, plus barred from future leagues. Other then that, if you do not get what you think you should have gotten, I would suggest, letting it go. All losing teams paid up last year.

Such as shown last year, I more believe in group vote then Commish power. However feel free to bring any problem you have to me. I have been playing the FF thing for a while now and have been Commish. 4-5 times.

Any any ?s.

Clear Skies,
Mark

1. wolfbear (Paul)
2. jswieton (John)
3. otwcards (Scott)
4. Ahzzy
5. artistlost (Mathew)
6. MeteoriteGuy (Mark) = The Meteorites
7. leathtech
8. BigRedMachine (Shawn)
9. Morgoth
10. jimq112 (Jim)
11. Beck6
12. thenavarro
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    I'd like back in this year... nice fun league last year!
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    i'll do it again

shawn
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    In it to win it.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested if there is room.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    I'm interested image
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Count me in if there are spots still open.
  • Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭
    Sent you a PM earlier this morning.

Thanks.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    oop...nv
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for sure, now I get to lose in 2 leagues!!
  • Options
    List of signees on first message. Looks like we will do the draft one day earlier to help Paul join us. Does that work out for everyone else?
  • Options
    Yay I'm in! Never done PPR before, going to have to adjust my rankings a bit.
  • Options
    Not to be a big baby, but if the list gets higher than 12 someone can have my spot.

16 teams is way too many for me. I don't get much enjoyment out of trying to figure out whether to take Keenan Burton or Brian Robiskie as my last wide receiver.

I'll wait for confirmation from you Mark on whether the list will go higher before I sign up. Thanks for the PM

shawn
  • Options
    OK, I guess we can stop at the 10. More people just means more cards for me to take to me.....image

Beck6, I guess that means you are first backup.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I'll play again this year and with me and Beck that would make 12 and would still keep everyone in. If I'm too late I understand, no big deal

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>I'll play again this year and with me and Beck that would make 12 and would still keep everyone in. If I'm too late I understand, no big deal

Mike >>

12 is great with me Mike.

If that's the final tally, LMK and I'll sign up.

You're all going down.

shawn
  • Options
    Sounds good on 12 with Mike and Beck. Will send you guys info after this message. Will move the draft day a day ahead shortly as well.
  • Options
    Alright, everyone should have a message and half are signed up so good start.

Draft day was moved up one day to Wens...Paul is pretty good so we will likely regret that.

Pay out was changed a little with the extra 4 cards....with the first two teams picking up the four extra.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I'd love to play in a really big league. Years ago I played in a baseball rotisserie league in which we used only Nat'l League players and we had 12 players. At the time there were 14 teams in the NL, and it really made it challenging. I'd love to play in a similar football league if there is anyone else game. Last year I went 13-0-1 in my yahoo league, but I had 3 pro bowl QB's, just through some luck (who would guess Warner would turn out so good?). Anyway, if there were 20-24 teams and your QB was hurt you would have to legitimately be smart to figure out who to play. With 32 starting QB's, and 64 starting receivers, etc.... it is pretty easy for 10-12 teams to stock up with Pro Bowl players and always find a decent player available on the waiver wire. Not so much with twice as many teams.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    I noticed one person has not joined yet.

If that final person would still like to join, please do so soon. Also, if someone would like to be the backup in case he does not, let me know.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    PM sent earlier today.
  • Options
    All slots are filled.

• Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I would like to be emergency backup.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Reminder, draft is today in about 1 hr 20min!!!
  • Options
    jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    I'll be there!
  • Options
    Missed out this year and got bumped I suppose. It would have been nice to send a PM as a reminder for last year's teams. Oh well no one will be getting my card "donation" this year after my team bombs out as usual.

J
  • Options
    Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    With the Sunday games now over I have the second highest score of the week......but I went against who appears to be the weekly leader Beck....so The Meteorites will lose their first game of the season.

Will post the first week results after tonight. There is a couple games yet decided.
  • Options
    I need to hold on tonight to win...fingers crossed!

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    Alright, just noticed I did not right out the league prize info stuff so, based on last years league, here it is. I will also post this on the PSA league Yahoo message page.

As Commish, I will move that you will get your cards by corresponding rank with the top 4 teams not paying out and the top 3 getting prizes. 1st gets 4 prizes (8 cards), 2nd gets 3 prizes (6 cards) and 3rd gets 1 prize (2 cards). A "prize" is 2 PSA 10 cards with a value around $10.

So that means:

12th,11th,10th and 9th place, owes 1st place

8th, 7th and 6th place, owes 2nd place.

5th place owes 3rd place.

Should a loser be a welch, they will NOTED as a welch in my sig. line, forever be known on these boards as a Welch, plus barred from future leagues. Any loser team should try to get cards that the winner would like (what you would like that person to do). But other then that, if you do not get what you think you should have gotten, I would suggest, letting it go and enjoying your win.

Most things (problems) in the league will be decided by majority vote. As we have an even number of teams, if a vote is tied, then I guess as Commish, whatever I voted, will be considered majority vote.

Should I do an unfair action by Comish powers (which won't happen) I believe more in league vote then Comish power, I agree to put in my sig. box for 6 months whatever majority votes decide.

Any final questions concerns should be addressed now. All teams paid up last year and I will follow up a couple weeks after the season and see how we are.

Clear Skies,
    Mark

• Options
    My managerial skills turned 33 points into 6 but if Tom Brady and LT play well tonight I have a chance to not lose. I benched TE Cooley for TE Jermichael Finley and benched Percy Harvin for Lance Moore. image
  • Options
    Sorry to be that guy Mark. I have been on the other side of the second highest week playing the #1 points guy a couple of times. I have absolutely no backup for McNabb, so I am in trouble moving forward.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    Houston offense has killed me! In just about all of my leagues I started either Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, Matt Schaub, or kicker Kris Brown. I need a monster game from Welker with a lot of receptions to pull this out but it's not looking good!
  • Options
    Last night saw a couple leads change. That was pretty tough Jim, thought for sure you had won. I think the FF gods do not like you.

Congrats to Beck for 153 pts.

Standings after week 1.

1. Beck's OC Qualifiers - 153
    2. Durkheim Delinquents - 121
    3. OTWCards - 113
    4. Fighting Ditka's - 111
    5. wolfbear - 108
    6. jswieton2 - 89
    7. The Meteorites - 118
    8. artistlost sacs - 117
    9. Morgoth's Last Laugh - 105
    10. Navarro's Nook - 86
    11. jimq - 84
    12. BigRedMachine - 60

• Options
    PPR saved me this week! Now I get rewarded by going up against last weeks points leader /sigh
  • Options
    I really need to read the rules of the leagues before the draft. I didn't even know about PPR before the draft.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    The Meteorites suffered their second loss in so many games. I think 2 years ago I lost 3 games for the season and last year I lost 2 games for the season. The owner is not happy...and is considering benching Romo to Cassell.

Way to go jswieton2 for an amazing 175 pts., and tough draw Morgoth's Last Laugh, who lost to jswieton2 while scoring 152 pts!

1. jswieton2 2-0 264
    2. OTWCards 2-0 234
    3. Fighting Ditka's 2-0 230
    4. Durkeim Delinquents 2-0 223
    5. wolfbear 1-1 225
    6. Beck's OC Qualifiers 1-1 216
    7. BigRedMachine 1-1 180
    8. jimq 1-1 174
    9. Morgoth's Last Laugh 0-2 257
    10. The Meteorites 0-2 214
    11. artistlost sacs 0-2 195
    12. Navarro's Nook 0-2 193

• Options
    I am 0-2 and scored more points than all but one team in the league. Nice!
  • Options

<< <i>I am 0-2 and scored more points than all but one team in the league. Nice! >>

The fantasy world sure is funny sometimes!
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    What is PPR?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    PPR = Points Per Reception, meaning a player gets 1 pt. for simply catching the ball. It will typically add an extra 4-5 pts. to most receivers and balances the power somewhat between receivers and running backs. Even in a PPR, the top running back will usually outscore the top receiver.

• Options
    Feast or Famine for the Qualifiers. Too many injuries.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options

<< <i>Feast or Famine for the Qualifiers. Too many injuries. >>

I never would have guessed Greg Jennings would get shut out.
  • Options

<< <i>

I never would have guessed Greg Jennings would get shut out. >>

I got the same from Welker who usually puts up great numbers in PPR. I work Sunday mornings and live on the west coast so when I set my roster Saturday night it looked like he was going to play and unfortunately did not :/
  • Options

Well my friend you feast this weekend.

I'm matched up against you.

LT - out
    Mike Bell - out
    Percy Harvin - sick with headaches.

My RBs are Justin Fossett and Daniel Coats.

yikes 8 career carries combined.
  • Options
    Lost by one point to wolfbear this week, which makes me 0-3...and a long way from my 12-2 season last year. I've done really great working free agents picking up Fred Jackson, Bret Celek, Carney and Denver, and basically adding an extra 10-15 pts. each week from the players I had, but it hasn't been enough.

The Meteorites have hope this week as we travel to the Nook for a 0-3/0-3 showdown that will finally give a win to me or Mike (Navarro).

Standings after week 3

1. jswieton2 3-0 / 378
    2. OTWCards 3-0 / 330
    3. Fighting Ditka's 2-1 / 335
    4. wolfbear 2-1 / 326
    5. BigRedMachine 2-1 / 302
    6. Durkheim Delinquents 2-1 / 276
    7. jimq 2-1 / 262
    8. artistlost sacs 1-2 / 344
    9. Beck's OC Qualifiers 1-2 / 299
    10. Morgoth's Kast Laugh 0-3 / 328
    11. The Meteorites 0-3 / 314
    12. Navarro's Nook 0-3 / 264

Congrads to jswieton2 and OTWCards for the early slight lead, jimq for the 2-1 record (with the lowest pt total in the league) and artistlost sacs for the league high 149 pts. in week 3.

Next week games to watch: #2 OTWCards vs the #3 Fighting Ditka's and #4 wolfbear vs #6 Durkheim Delinquents.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
  • Options
    After a league low 60 points in week 1 and sitting in dead last, it's nice to get a couple of wins and back in the thick of things.

Now if I could just get Steven Jackson into the endzone from time to time. Ick!
  • Options
    what more do you need to do to get a win... Morgoth's Kast Laugh 0-3 / 328

top 5 in total points scored and can't even come up with a win... maybe you need to offer something up to the fantasy gods!
  • Options
    Bad luck so far... 2nd in points total and in 8th place. Maybe my baseball luck will rub off on my football players now that the season is coming to an end.

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    I am pretty much screwed now with Gore hurt. I will have to cobble together a RB team. I had Marshawn Lynch as a reserve but I don't know if he will be a starter now.

Its just frustrating to actually have a week were you score 152 points and lose and then play a team that scores 149 the next.

Basically I had no shot of winning 2 weeks in a row no matter how well my team played just due to fact that all of the high scoreres from the week were all on my opponents teams.
  • Options
    Anyone want to trade a very good receiver for Brian Westbrook? The Yahoo system will not let me dump Tony Romo, who had thrown 0 touchdowns the last 3 games. Does anyone want to trade anyone for Romo?

Will do scores and such tonight or tomorrow.