Home Autographs Forum

OK....Let's see what you've got.....post something!

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 26, 2018 6:41PM in Autographs Forum
There's not enough action on this forum. So if you don't have a question or new information to pass on....at least post an autograph or two from your collection. Include the story of how you obtained it if you like.

I'll start with these....

Cecil Stoughton....official White House photographer for JFK.

Harper Lee, Gregory Peck, Robert Duvall, Mary Badham, Phillip Alford, and Brock Peters. Five of the major characters of the movie version of the classic "To Kill A Mockingbird". Also signed by the author Harper Lee. I obtained all of these through the mail.

Comments

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
    WOW!
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two gentleman named Harry Truman and O.B. Atkinson signed a ship's menu in 1953.

American President Lines, S.S. President Cleveland Pacific Ocean Easter Cruise, Saturday, May 2, 1953.

It's on my website at "Cruising with Harry Truman"

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Willie,
    Post a picture here!
    Willie,
    I'm sorry for being rude! Welcome to the very dark side; the autograph forum! image
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2018 6:35PM
    Three photos signed by JFK's official White House photographer Cecil Stoughton.

edited January 26, 2018 6:32PM
    I met Hubert Humphrey back in the mid-60's and he gave me TWO passes to the Vice President's Gallery The local paper was on the scene documenting HHH's visit and they printed a picture of HHH and Muriel with your's truly standing in the background clutching the passes in my sweaty little hands.

• Here are some of my favorites... these were given to me by Charles Berry, radio presenter in the USA. Thank you Charles.

Karel Husa - Pulitzer Prize Winner

Elliott Cook Carter - Pulitzer Prize Winner

Lewis Spratlan - Pulitzer Prize Winner

Ned Rorem - Pulitzer Prize Winner

William Schuman - Pulitzer Prize Winner

Fred Haise Lunar Module Pilot of the ill-fated Apollo 13 lunar mission

• Some amazing autographs in here.
    Would it be possible for people to add their website, so eveyone can enjoy each others collections.
    World's Greatest Autographs - https://worldsgreatestautographs.weebly.com/

• Lots of history in all those autographs, I was looking through my baseball stuff after finding this ball
    but now I will need to dig through more stuff to find my autographs. this one I bought for cheap because
    they could not identify it, I've been looking at it and cant figure it out, but that's the fun of sports memorabilia.

• receieved this from jimmy johnson

• MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 9:06PM

Tony Kanaan

• USAFRETWIUSAFRETWI Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made this it's own post, but when I saw this thread I thought it fit here as well. This is one of my very few autographs. Marvelous Marvin Hagler Champ.
    When I was probably 8 or 9 my best friend right up the street from my house had a mother who worked at a restaurant Marvin would eat at sometimes. She got this for me as a birthday present.

He was and still is my favorite boxer. My Dad had died a few years before that, but I remember watching and talking some boxing with my Dad and I'm sure that's how I became a Hagler fan.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

picked these up .. card signed by Hindenburg survivor and book signed by Hiroshima survivor

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies those are both very unique and cool items. Thanks for sharing.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are very welcome, glad to share em

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

I'm collecting a rather large of autographed WW2 pilots and celebs. Bettie Page being one! This is onbe A just got a few weeks ago trhat I've been looking for. Pappy Boyingtron! If you don't know who he is, LOOK HIM UP!! He was a bad ass Corsair pilot.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice sig to have - I don't have one. Missed him somehow when I was starting with WWII figures.

I hate those PSA/DNA stickers - personally I won't buy anything with that. It is inexcusable that they put a sticker on an item, much less on the front.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tootawl said:
    I'm collecting a rather large of autographed WW2 pilots and celebs. Bettie Page being one! This is onbe A just got a few weeks ago trhat I've been looking for. Pappy Boyingtron! If you don't know who he is, LOOK HIM UP!! He was a bad ass Corsair pilot.

Bettie Page was strictly a 1950's personality. She had no celebrity connection with WWII.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

R.M.T. Hunter is pictured on the lower right of the T-68 CSA note. Hunter was a statesman/politician from Virginia and held many elected offices.

• TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@Tootawl said:

Bettie Page was strictly a 1950's personality. She had no celebrity connection with WWII.

No where did I say she was from WW2. I said I have WW2 pilots AND celebs. I should have said celebs and WW2 pilots.

PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.

I haven't got much but I did get this at Disneyland around 1958. Drawn and signed by Roy Williams. He had a small table set up on a side alley on Main Street. I was pretty young but I always remembered getting it because he was on the original Mickey Mouse Club TV show.

• 1992 Dream Team autographed ball signed by all 12 player and all four coaches (14 HOFers) on an official Molten ball (the official ball of the 1992 Olympics). Fully authenticated by JSA

• Pre-olympics amateur Floyd Mayweather program with two vintage Mayweather signatures

• coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Here is a 1809 (30 Jul) King Joseph Napoleon Bonaparte (King of Sicily) letter, to a unknown general thanking him for having shown interest in his crowning as King in Naples which has been very favorable to him and he further sends him his thanks and deep appreciation. It seems to show a close relationship between the two as the letter seems friendly rather than official.

Napoleon gave his brother joseph the position of King In Naples for two years, then he became King of Spain in 1808 following the invasion of Spain.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2018 6:13AM

Catherine Deneuve is one of my favorite French actresses, I remember her mostly for The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Last Metro. 20 years ago I wrote to her all the way to France for her autograph and here is the photo I got back.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my most obscure baseball autographs is this very shaky signature of Chester C. Hoff I received when I wrote to him in the summer of 1998. Hoff was a left-handed pitcher who made his major league debut 87 years earlier, on September 6, 1911. Pitching against the Detroit Tigers, he struck out the first batter he faced, the great Ty Cobb. In later years, Hoff recalled this as the highlight of his career.

Hoff only pitched in 23 games. His major distinction is that he was the longest-lived person to have ever played in Major League Baseball. He died just 3 months after this autograph was signed, at the age of >> 107 <<. So...not so bad a signature after all. For myself, if I lived to be 107, I'd be lucky to remember my name, much less write it!

• pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2018 8:06PM

Here are all of my autos. This is my first time on this forum, I've posted these on the cards/memorabilia forum before.

Most of these were created by allifax

• 17751775 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Keep it going

• you have a Bob Hope signature and I have his wife's signature that my grandfather had signed in WWII. She simply signed it,"Delores". I also have about 60 others that he had gotten signed during his time in the navy with the "Fighting CeeBees. Hattie McDaniel, Clara Blandick, Hedy Lamarr, Basil Rathbone, Esther Williams, Dan Seymour, Mary Pickford, Vera Lewis, Martha O'Driscoll, Alan Ladd, Charles Coburn, Roddy McDowall, Trudy Marshall, Mrs Lon Chaney Jr, Jane Cooper, Phil Silvers, Teddy Lynch, Edmund Lowe, Eleanor Boardman, David Hoffman, Gene Lockhart, Dana Andrews, Marjorie wood, Helen Broderick, Harry Gillette, and many others. I have gotten quite an education studying these and trying to put a face to the name. And in some cases just trying to figure out the name itself was a chore.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
    edited November 10, 2019 11:56AM

edited November 11, 2019 10:50AM

I always wonder how stuff like this event exists. Who got close enough to PM and who did he like well enough to get this sort of signature.

I am also curious - what sort of pen would have been used? Too smooth and nimble for a paint pen. I do think they had white ink back in the dip pen and fountain pen eras - maybe that's what it is.

If I didn't know better I would have thought that was printed as part of the cover design, but you would have know if that was the case.

edited November 11, 2019 11:33AM

JBK, this signed promotional LP came from the estate of Jim "Rocky" Del Balzo who was the Senior VP of Rock Promotions at Columbia Records....the label that this album was released on. It certainly is a special signature in size and with the caricature and it is obvious that Paul took a little extra care signing this one.

It is outstanding - it makes sense that it is from a special source.

Once or twice in my through-the-mail collecting I have gotten lucky and gotten back much more than the normal response.

I wrote to author Kurt Vonnegut years ago to ask him which of his books was his favorite (a pretty common and boring question). I included a card and SASE, and when I got it back he has answered my question, but also added a self-caricature. I have seen these sketches elsewhere, but it was still neat to get one and in the context of him telling me which of his books was his favorite.

edited November 14, 2020 12:58PM

Same goes for me. Here are two of my favorites.....

I had been corresponding with Mark David Chapman for a year or so when he sent me his guitar pick...said he had had it for about 20 years and "it's actually the oldest thing I have left".

Back in the mid 1990's when I was sending items to Harper Lee I had ordered some 8 X 10 B&W portraits from UPI....the only source I knew of to get photos (pre-internet days for me). UPI wanted $50 for one photo or I could buy 5 for $40 each or something like that. I took the chance and ordered 5. I mailed them all to Harper and explained that I ordered and sent FIVE photos explaining that they were $40 if I ordered that number vs. $50 each and that she certainly didn't have to sign them all but to please sign one. I had my fingers crossed for almost two weeks. The big envelope came and I opened to see that she had signed all five photographs and included a note which expressed what she thought of my paying that much for the photos. It is now one of my absolute favorite autographs.

That's great!

Does the HL say "you were robbed"?

Sort of reminds me of a photo I had sent to George HW Bush. It was a great White House photographer photo of him and his dog sitting on the rocks in Kennebunkport. In my letter I had mistakenly mentioned "Millie" (Mrs. Bush's dog) so he inscribed the photo and then included a separate handwritten note correcting me - it was his dog Ranger.

Yes, it says "Mr.Peters: You wuz robbed! H.L."
    That's pretty good getting the separate note from Pres.Bush. Very nice. I had received a number of signed items from Pres. Ford but never did get either of the Bush Presidents.

@PipestonePete said:
    Yes, it says "Mr.Peters: You wuz robbed! H.L."
    That's pretty good getting the separate note from Pres.Bush. Very nice. I had received a number of signed items from Pres. Ford but never did get either of the Bush Presidents.

Now I see it - "wuz:" - that makes it even better, :D

GHW Bush was easy right when he got out of office for a few years (and of course, when he was VP). As the Internet grew he started to get tougher and tougher due to increased requests. I was lucky to get a few nice photos before the hammer came down.

As far as I know, George W. Bush was only decent prior to the 2000 election. I think he has been tough since leaving office. There was a small window several years ago when he wrote a book and his office sent a signed bookplate to anyone who asked.

Ford was great, and Carter is also (for books and photos from his time in the WH).