Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT Comic Book help Esate sale find

13»

Comments

• Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"The seller wanted $200.00 initially but we finally settled on a price of $75.00. Not knowing a thing about comic books I figured I might be able to double or triple my money"

honestly, do you feel a tad bit guilty?

did you have NO IDEA that a #1 issue (very similar to a rookie card) would be worth a few bucks? >>

why would he feel guilty? If someone comes in with a $20,000 car and I offer them $5000 for it and they accept, I don't feel guilty at all. If they don't do the research or need money that desperately and I'm the only one that can provide it to them then why should I feel guilty?

My wife is a teacher and a lady she co-teaches with knows I collect cards. She told my wife she had a brother who was big in collecting when he was a kid (late 60's/early-mid 70's). He got killed in a car accident in the 80's. Her mother has the cards in her attic and apparently he had a lot of unopened stuff according to her, as he was really odd in keeping his collection pristine. She is gonna get the stuff from her mothers' house and let me look at it the first chance she gets. She also told my wife that she would sell the stuff to me with the money going to her mother. Now, this collection will probably be a lot of VG/EX commons since thats how it usually goes with stories like this. But, for arguments sake, let's say it contained 15 unopened boxes from '68 to '75 in NM/MT condition as well as a ton of NM/MT star cards from that era. If I offer her $1000 and she accepts, should I feel bad?

She is getting $1000 for something that she assumes has little value and would probably end up getting thrown away eventually anyway.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Ichiro

The reason IMO why Dennis should not feel guilty is because he stated he had no idea as to the value of the books.

Now if he was a comic book dealer with a storefront (or even a collector with knowledge) then IMO thisi action would be unethical

and yes then he should feel guilty.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I actually only looked at the top 10-15 issues before I decided to take a chance on the lot. There were a lot of people milling about and I felt if I didn't buy it it would soon be gone. The comics were stacked on top of one another in a large brown grocery bag.

The former owner had a old list inside of his purchase prices, which included buy prices of each Spiderman issue for 15 cents apiece.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........My wife is a teacher and a lady she co-teaches with knows I collect cards. She told my wife she had a brother who was big in collecting when he was a kid (late 60's/early-mid 70's). He got killed in a car accident in the 80's. Her mother has the cards in her attic and apparently he had a lot of unopened stuff according to her, as he was really odd in keeping his collection pristine. She is gonna get the stuff from her mothers' house and let me look at it the first chance she gets. She also told my wife that she would sell the stuff to me with the money going to her mother. Now, this collection will probably be a lot of VG/EX commons since thats how it usually goes with stories like this. But, for arguments sake, let's say it contained 15 unopened boxes from '68 to '75 in NM/MT condition as well as a ton of NM/MT star cards from that era. If I offer her $1000 and she accepts, should I feel bad?

She is getting $1000 for something that she assumes has little value and would probably end up getting thrown away eventually anyway. >>

Ask the mother if you can dig up her son's body too in case they buried him with a few hall of famers.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    If a friend - or an associate of a friend - is selling stuff to me,
    I pay "higher" prices for items.

If a stranger is selling stuff to me, I pay as little as possible.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>........My wife is a teacher and a lady she co-teaches with knows I collect cards. She told my wife she had a brother who was big in collecting when he was a kid (late 60's/early-mid 70's). He got killed in a car accident in the 80's. Her mother has the cards in her attic and apparently he had a lot of unopened stuff according to her, as he was really odd in keeping his collection pristine. She is gonna get the stuff from her mothers' house and let me look at it the first chance she gets. She also told my wife that she would sell the stuff to me with the money going to her mother. Now, this collection will probably be a lot of VG/EX commons since thats how it usually goes with stories like this. But, for arguments sake, let's say it contained 15 unopened boxes from '68 to '75 in NM/MT condition as well as a ton of NM/MT star cards from that era. If I offer her $1000 and she accepts, should I feel bad?

She is getting $1000 for something that she assumes has little value and would probably end up getting thrown away eventually anyway. >>

Ask the mother if you can dig up her son's body too in case they buried him with a few hall of famers. >>

lol, I doubt she'll do that, but good thinking. I'll get my wife to go to lunch with the two ladies while I rummage around in her empty house looking for all the really good vintage stuff. (just in case she keeps any Mantles for "sentimental" value).
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the writing on the Spiderman comics reads, "The Amazing Spiderman", in Spanish.
  • Options
    everyone likes making a good score, if you make a 5 figure profit, I might be tempted to send the guy a check for a few hundred dollars.

Just a personal choice. It's nice to see someone hit the motherload and it seems that you truly didnt know how much these things were worth. Is the next step for you to send them to a grading company?
  • Options
    WOW, You hit the jackpot!!! Nice comics. I'm drooling image
  • Options
    Can you imagine if a 1938 Action Comics #1 was in there? image
  • Options
    I'm curious as hell to find out whether this is the real deal or not. I'm a big fan of The Usual Suspects and the million dollar hoard found in an estate sale is my version of Keyser Soze. Do they exist? Are they just an elaborate con? Does it matter? Does it strike a chord in every collector and in every person who's ever visited a garage sale?

And I'm not offering an opinion on the comics in this thread. I couldn't tell a real from a reprint to save my life.

I can attest, however, that every once in a while the perfect storm of hoards does happen. Hell, when I crossed over here from the currency forum in December after inheriting a shoebox full of 1969 baseball cards from a deceased cousin that hadn't seen the light of day since 1969, I didn't realize that that was the equivalent of the dog ate my homework. But in this case it's true - I still have the receipt for the pair of shoes that were purchased in 1967.

Speaking of which, what are the going prices for mint condition Joe Cronin baseballs and for mint condition Ted Williams endorsed Sears Roebuck baseballs, both still in the original boxes? I was cleaning some junk out of the basement and found them in a box of stuff I also inherited from said cousin. Also, anybody looking for costume jewelry from an 80 year old Russian lady, PM me - I've got a ton of it from my Aunt...

• Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    You my friend have hit the MOTHER LOAD!!
    I haven't read all the posts but you have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of comics there.
    Don't let some one swindle you.
    Take your time and educate yourself on what you actually have there.

Good Luck!
  • Options

<< <i>Don't let some one swindle you. Take your time and educate yourself on what you actually have there. >>

Sounds like advice the previous owner could have used. image
  • Options
    I take it this was just someone showing off their collection?
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I take it this was just someone showing off their collection? >>

I thought drumming up business as opposed to showing off.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    I imagine they will want to get the lot graded before selling, therefore it could be months before any real sales are recorded for this lot.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Walnut - there is a memorabilia dealer on the web selling several Cronin baseballs, and he wants $250 for the one with box and $200 for each of the ones without boxes. That should be a starting point for determining value (e.g., treat that price like you would an eBay store price).
    Ted Williams Sears Roebuck baseballs were made and sold until 1980. I haven't found sales prices on them with a quick check, but considering that the Ted Williams Sears Roebuck bats and fielder's gloves are generally $30 to $50, I'd put the balls in a similar price range - maybe somewhat higher.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Thanks, I really appreciate the help. I can virtually guarantee that both baseballs are from circa 1969-1970 knowing my cousin. I am glad that I didn't put them out at the flea market for $5.00 each.

Thanks again for the info
  • Options
    I'm curious as hell to find out whether this is the real deal or not. I'm a big fan of The Usual Suspects and the million dollar hoard found in an estate sale is my version of Keyser Soze. Do they exist? Are they just an elaborate con? Does it matter? Does it strike a chord in every collector and in every person who's ever visited a garage sale?

The lot that I purchased is in fact real and exactly as described. I'll most likely have the comics graded if I intend to sell them in the future.

I carefully put them in a archival bag/board after taking a photo of each individual comic. All 128 comics now reside in my safe deposit box.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    You have patience, my friend
    I'd have those sold by now
    And I don't know jack about comics
  • Options
    Make sure you have something in the safety deposit box to absorb excess humidity. You don't want the staples rusting.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    So I guess these will never see the light of day?
  • Options
    What would you put in the box to absorb the humidity?

I plan on keeping them in there for a little while.

I will post any grades/sales of this lot on this page in the future.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    If I bought $10K+ worth of comics for $75 I might start to worry they were stolen. I think I would put them in a safe deposit box for a while before I tried to get them graded and sell them.
  • Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What would you put in the box to absorb the humidity?

I plan on keeping them in there for a little while.

I will post any grades/sales of this lot on this page in the future. >>

Try a 40 gram hydrosorbent silica gel. It stays active for a month or longer. You have to recharge it in a oven for a couple of hours. So you may want to buy two and have a extra to put in the safe while you take out the old one and charge it. If you have a larger sdb you could use a Remington dehumidifier. About twice as large and thicker than the 40 gram and it can be recharged by a outlet.
  • Options
    Hey All,

Wow... great find and fascinating read - thanks everyone for sharing!!! I hope the sale of the comics goes well for you image

Take it easy,
    Jared
    "You consider me the young apprentice,
    Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
    Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
    Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to these books?image